Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“discourage”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:wtc:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Surely that kills the dogs?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PittTheElder posted:

They won't jump in a second time for sure.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vanagoon posted:

This seems like one of those times where it's ok for the bus to push a motherfucker out of the way. So many people sitting there like lemmings and just letting the poo poo happen.

I've always wondered about the same. As Mitch Hedberg said, "If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." It seems to me that you'd probably end up doing less damage in total to just drive out even if you had to hit something else in the process, so ramming your way free would be the better move in this kind of situation.

If I wasn't paying attention in traffic and found myself stuck on the tracks with a train moments away in my Fiesta I'd be trying to ram my way out and would probably be successful as long as I wasn't surrounded by heavy trucks, a full size bus should have no problem with basically anything.

e:
Holy gently caress.

chitoryu12 posted:

Put that dumbass in prison.

Yeah, that's got to be two straightforward counts of negligent homicide or at least manslaughter, assuming Panama has something like that.

edit: Also this article is from 2004, so presumably we can find out if any charges were filed and what the verdict was.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 16, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Put that dumbass in prison.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

An electrical gradient is created across the pool. The bigger the body, the greater the current.

For the same reason, big fish are more vulnerable to electrofishing than small fry.

It’s still a mortal danger to the dogs, but they might have survived it once.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

wolrah posted:

I've always wondered about the same. As Mitch Hedberg said, "If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." It seems to me that you'd probably end up doing less damage in total to just drive out even if you had to hit something else in the process, so ramming your way free would be the better move in this kind of situation.

If I wasn't paying attention in traffic and found myself stuck on the tracks with a train moments away in my Fiesta I'd be trying to ram my way out and would probably be successful as long as I wasn't surrounded by heavy trucks, a full size bus should have no problem with basically anything.

Wasn't there another full size bus in front of him? At that point why wouldn't he back up and go off to the side or something?

Or are sightlines for big busses really that bad?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

An electrical gradient is created across the pool. The bigger the body, the greater the current.

For the same reason, big fish are more vulnerable to electrofishing than small fry.

You don't wanna electrocute me, Johnny. My grandmother electrocuted me once.....

https://i.imgur.com/TEpUVKo.mp4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

After searching for more articles I haven't found much, but some other articles have implied that the housekeeper had put up an electric fence around the pool and it had somehow fallen in or otherwise inadvertently made the water live, not that the water was intentionally charged.

That's still stupid, but a lot less like a booby trap.

quote:

Or are sightlines for big busses really that bad?
Sightlines in a bus aren't amazing to the side, but even if the train horn weren't a hint that one should be aware of where the rails are I have to imagine the passengers in the path noticed.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

wolrah posted:

As Mitch Hedberg said, "If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."

Respectfully - Mitch never saw the footage of the Station Night Club fire. There's a moment from that video footage seared into my brain - a shot of the main entryway, so full of people that they have gotten stuck inside the doorframe attempting to push past one another, like a cartoon wave of humans. It's just this pile of writhing humanity, unable to work itself out from the doorway. It would be almost amusing, if it's weren't in such horrifying circumstances.

The cameraman circles the venue, gets a shot inside from a back door, and then circles back around to the main entryway again -

And it is engulfed in flames, nothing possibly human or recognizable left. Just a giant, well-fed flame. All of the people are just gone.

All those people died piled on each other, just trying to get away.

Your feet might not save you.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Always make sure your elcto-pool is safely in-grounded.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
poo poo, I was draining my electropool with this axe and forgot to turn the electricity off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

It looks like it's spinning slightly off-center so I was waiting for it to shake itself apart. Goddamn video blueballs. :v:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Respectfully, that chicken never saw 'Red Asphalt.' All those young lives, snuffed out in crimson grotesquerie for all to see, and all tangentially connected by their simple careless need to cross a road. Hug your family tight, guys. There are just some things that are too serious. Your fleeting jokes may not save you.

Oh, and I heard through Dave that you were having a barbecue? I didn't get an invite, so I thought maybe it... Oh, yeah, space is tight, no big deal, haha, rain check, totally understand

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wolrah posted:

After searching for more articles I haven't found much, but some other articles have implied that the housekeeper had put up an electric fence around the pool and it had somehow fallen in or otherwise inadvertently made the water live, not that the water was intentionally charged.

Yes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/11/sports/baseball/family-deaths-send-yankees-star-rivera-home.html

quote:

Two cousins of Clara Rivera -- Victor Darío Avila, 35, and his 14-year-old son, Victor Leonel -- died Saturday while cleaning the pool at the Riveras' home, said Yodalis Bethancourt, a correspondent for Editora Panama America, which publishes three national newspapers in Panama. A metal rod connected to an electrical cable fell into the pool; the boy was electrocuted when he tried to retrieve it, and the elder Avila died trying to save him, Mrs. Bethancourt said.

I'm chalking the rest up to NY Daily News reporting unless there's some other source backing it up.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

It looks like it's spinning slightly off-center so I was waiting for it to shake itself apart. Goddamn video blueballs. :v:

More importantly, how long has Canon been selling a CT for?

Edit: hi I'm an idiot who forgot Canon bought Toshiba.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cojawfee posted:

poo poo, I was draining my electropool with this axe and forgot to turn the electricity off.

Draining an electropool turns it into an electric river. Quick, build a hydroelectric plant to collect the energy back before anyone gets hurt!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

Draining an electropool turns it into an electric river. Quick, build a hydroelectric plant to collect the energy back before anyone gets hurt!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Nenonen posted:

Watt's the current like on an electric river? Should one build a dam to add resistance to it?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

pseudorandom posted:

Watt's the current like on an electric river? Should one build a dam to add resistance to it?
:dadjoke:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Capacitance, surely.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rust Martialis posted:

Capacitance, surely.

:hmmyes:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i was thinking of setting a pool on fire so I could swim in it during the winter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMMZiQTlZo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

this is like AH BLEW MAH LEG OFF except lame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9USKP0f2o

eonwe posted:

i was thinking of setting a pool on fire so I could swim in it during the winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHiGU4_fik

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 17, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nocheez posted:

Uneducated guess, but maybe it's granite and they need the pieces to remain as big as possible so they can charge $$$$ for huge custom pieces.

Marble quarry. Probably in Italy. If you asked them why they do it that way, a man with a poorly-rolled cigarette and a permanent hunch will tell you that's the way it's always been done. He takes the cigarette out of his mouth and you realise why it's so poorly rolled; he has no left thumb and only a thumb and forefinger on his right hand.

He heads off to check the latest cut blocks before shipping. He doesn't know the word for safety harness.

Memento fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 17, 2019

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I had a similar conversation with the carpenter redoing my roof, he had 5 complete fingers in total.

"How did you get the big beams up without a crane?"
"We have our trade secrets" :iiam:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the absolute fuckers of UXO clearance is cluster munitions. Take the BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb for example. About the size of a soda can and painted a jolly bright yellow the unexploded munition is attractive to children and adults alike. Why is this OSHA? Because these things kill de-miners indiscriminately. Why didn't it explode when it hit the ground? Who knows! What will make it detonate? Anything! A nudge with a foot, throwing it to your friend, the flatulence of a nearby termite, anything! It's been used all over the world, even in places it "hasn't".

About a month after I left the project an experienced de-miner was killed in Rwanda when one just went off as he was setting up. He wasn't touching it, just clearing the area around it.

the united states military is a loving blight on the earth lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

After driving behind a farming tractor with all sorts of attachments that look some combo of spiky, sharp, and spinning, I legit have no idea how some farmers make it to old age mostly intact. My uncle runs a farm with his (adult) son, and somehow made it this far with all his digits intact. His shoulder blade is dislocated upwards and it looks like he’s sprouting a single wing, but he just keeps on working “because I’ve got better poo poo to do than lay around” :v:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kanine posted:

Don't worry, the Russians make them too! Except they paint them green-grey so they're hard to see and there failure rate is way higher!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kanine posted:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

having to fish a rotting dog corpse out of a pool seems like more of a problem than just like, figuring out a different method of preventing dog-in-pool

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The natural result of two teams answering the same question "What's a very easy color to see?" for two very different reasons, and then not communicating.

Because why would we ever talk outside the team?? Agile!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the absolute fuckers of UXO clearance is cluster munitions. Take the BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb for example. About the size of a soda can and painted a jolly bright yellow the unexploded munition is attractive to children and adults alike.

This is a BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb. Designed to be dropped out of military aircraft in conflict areas, it is deadly to anyone touching it.
It is painted bright yellow to warn and discourage people from approaching it.

This is a Humanitarian Daily Ration. Designed to be dropped out of military aircraft in conflict areas, it provides life-saving nutrition to anyone opening it.
It is painted bright yellow to encourage people to approach it.

E: Beaten. Spent too long on getting the formatting just right.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 17, 2019

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I hope that light never burns out.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

“because I’ve got better poo poo to do than lay around” :v:
That is literally the best thing he could say. Avoidance and being sedentary are probably the greatest aggravating factors for chronic pain and injury.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Shut up Meg posted:

This is a BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb. Designed to be dropped out of military aircraft in conflict areas, it is deadly to anyone touching it.
It is painted bright yellow to warn and discourage people from approaching it.

This is a Humanitarian Daily Ration. Designed to be dropped out of military aircraft in conflict areas, it provides life-saving nutrition to anyone opening it.
It is painted bright yellow to encourage people to approach it.

E: Beaten. Spent too long on getting the formatting just right.

don't worry, the rations are pink now. problem solved!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

BMan posted:

don't worry, the rations are pink now. problem solved!

Phew! At least that horrible potential confusion has been eliminated.

Oh, hang on....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Respectfully - Mitch never saw the footage of the Station Night Club fire. There's a moment from that video footage seared into my brain - a shot of the main entryway, so full of people that they have gotten stuck inside the doorframe attempting to push past one another, like a cartoon wave of humans. It's just this pile of writhing humanity, unable to work itself out from the doorway. It would be almost amusing, if it's weren't in such horrifying circumstances.

The cameraman circles the venue, gets a shot inside from a back door, and then circles back around to the main entryway again -

And it is engulfed in flames, nothing possibly human or recognizable left. Just a giant, well-fed flame. All of the people are just gone.

All those people died piled on each other, just trying to get away.

Your feet might not save you.

so im from eastern ct and coincidentally i have one second cousin that died in that fire, and a second cousin that died at sandy hook

Kanine fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 17, 2019