Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
also if anyone's ever lazy, either old bay or five spice powder both make outstanding dry seasoning for wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
ok fine take 1/3 of the salt off kenji recipes

I love salt too but Kenji is a deer/horse/cow/elk

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DaveSauce posted:

also if anyone's ever lazy, either old bay or five spice powder both make outstanding dry seasoning for wings
old bay wings forever

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

old bay wings forever

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

ok fine take 1/3 of the salt off kenji recipes

I love salt too but Kenji is a deer/horse/cow/elk

and honestly take away like 1/3 of the ingredients too, his recipes spend way too much time gilding the lily

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kenji's poo poo should be taken more as guidelines rather than strict recipes.

I loving love his meatloaf but I use like 2/3 the ingredients cuz it's a goddamn salt bomb otherwise.

Actually I just make my old meatloaf recipe but use gelatin and cook it inverted lime he does.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Casu Marzu posted:

Kenji's poo poo should be taken more as guidelines rather than strict recipes.

I loving love his meatloaf but I use like 2/3 the ingredients cuz it's a goddamn salt bomb otherwise.

Actually I just make my old meatloaf recipe but use gelatin and cook it inverted lime he does.

this is exactly what I do: just take ideas for things to improve my own food from him

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who has the best shakahuka recipe

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can't find the one I really loved but this one is merely great

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Here's my routine shakshuka

1 28 oz can of tomatoes, diced
1 roasted red bell pepper (fresh or from a jar), diced
1 medium white onion, diced
1/4 C sweet paprika
1 T hot paprika (I prefer tikhalal - use a tsp or omit if you don't want aggressive heat)
1 heaping T whole cumin seeds
1/2 C sake or other dry white wine
1 C chicken stock or water
6 VERY fresh eggs
1 C fresh curly parsley, chopped
2 T Olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil for finishing
Crusty baguette slabs, toasted and buttered
Salt & Pepper

In a 4 qt saute pan, heat olive oil on medium.
Add paprika and cumin. Stir until fragrant and cumin seeds lightly crackling (~30 s - 1 min)
Mix in onion, roasted red pepper, and salt. Cook, stirring periodically, until translucent (~2-3 min)
Deglaze with wine and let wine reduce for a minute
Add diced tomatoes and mix thoroughly. Allow mixture to come to a simmer. Partial cover with lid to reduce spatter
Thin the mixture with the stock or water so that eggs will easily be able to sink in a little, put lid on pan and wait for simmer to resume
Lower heat to med-low to maintain only a gentle simmer
Gently drop in eggs and cook covered
Wait for the eggs to cook to your preferred doneness
Remove lid and remove pan from heat

Serve in bowls with crusty toasted baguette slabs
Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, cracked pepper, and a generous sprinkle of fresh parsley

you can use feta or olives or whatever but i prefer it simple. my ex gf liked to top with sour cream but i don't think it needs it.

edited to reduce heat before adding eggs

fart store fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 15, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Who has the best shakahuka recipe

The New York Times one is good

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody found an induction ranges that can support heavy weights? I have a pressure canner that I don't expect I could easily use on one. For one, it is aluminum so I would need something like a diffuser to serve basically as a burner. Second, it is a five-gallon unit.

I also make stock in a 7.5 gallon pot. I am just thinking with everything involved that I'd walk over the 50-pound limit I hear is common for them.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Gas range oven question. I'm ditching electric ovens and going gas. But a question about burners. I've heard all about how open burners (like those included on pricey BlueStar ranges) are superior to sealed burners. And I don't disagree with that. But is there a such thing as a higher-quality sealed burner that performs well?

Asking because pretty much all of the ovens, from $1200 Whirpool ranges to $3500 KitchenAids, all have sealed burners. Is a $3.5K KitchenAid sealed burner going to be better than a $1200 Whirpool sealed burner? Or are KitchenAids just re-badged Whirlpools with nicer knobs?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 16, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

a sealed burner is always gonna have a cool spot in the middle, it's interrent to the design. it's my one gripe with gas, but it's manageable with patience, pre heating and a heavy enough cast iron pan if it's really important.

still far and away better than electric but I'd love open burners.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Gas range oven question. I'm ditching electric ovens and going gas. But a question about burners. I've heard all about how open burners (like those included on pricey BlueStar ranges) are superior to sealed burners. And I don't disagree with that. But is there a such thing as a higher-quality sealed burner that performs well?

Asking because pretty much all of the ovens, from $1200 Whirpool ranges to $3500 KitchenAids, all have sealed burners. Is a $3.5K KitchenAid sealed burner going to be better than a $1200 Whirpool sealed burner? Or are KitchenAids just re-badged Whirlpools with nicer knobs?

This is pretty much it. It's the premium trim model. It may have some nicer touches like being easier to clean on the top and so on - but, generally speaking the internals are all going to be the same, and parts will be interchangeable.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Any gas burner is gonna be a revelation coming from resistance coils.

I’ve not had problems with a cool spot in the middle with my tri-ply cookware. I get a ring with my cast iron and carbon steel, so the solution is to give it more time to preheat and also to move the pan around every now and then.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thanks for confirming all that. Sounds like I'm better off setting a hard ~$2k limit on a gas range and just get one that has the features that we're looking for (dual fuel, true convection, blah blah blah).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dual fuel is the way to go too. I really wish my gas oven went hotter than 500.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Different sealed burners put out different amounts of heat, check the BTUs.

We’re redoing the kitchen and I’ve been appliance shopping. I liked the idea of the Bluestar range but ruled it out after seeing them in person. Nice idea but not up to the fit and finish of other stuff in its price range.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi General Questions Thread! My wife and I are trying to eat healthier so I've been trying to think of healthier things to cook, and my cooking repertoire is pretty limited. I'm a big spinach, garlic, and chickpea fan so I'm wondering about doing a pasta dish with all of them in it. How would sauteeing garlic and spinach with pasta and chickpeas work? Trying to keep it simple here, but would something like that work? If so, how would I want to order it in terms of the sautee? How much olive oil would I use if I wanted to do like 8 ounces of pasta (thats half a usual box you buy at a grocery store, right?) with like half a head (or maybe the whole thing) of garlic, several ounces of spinach, and a can of uncooked chickpeas? My gut tells me I would cook the pasta separate and heat the oil, put garlic in for a little, then add and cook down the spinach, then add the chickpeas for a minute, then add pasta and serve? Maybe sprinkle some parmesan cheese and a little black pepper on top? Or is this just a bad idea? Thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi General Questions Thread! My wife and I are trying to eat healthier so I've been trying to think of healthier things to cook, and my cooking repertoire is pretty limited. I'm a big spinach, garlic, and chickpea fan so I'm wondering about doing a pasta dish with all of them in it. How would sauteeing garlic and spinach with pasta and chickpeas work? Trying to keep it simple here, but would something like that work? If so, how would I want to order it in terms of the sautee? How much olive oil would I use if I wanted to do like 8 ounces of pasta (thats half a usual box you buy at a grocery store, right?) with like half a head (or maybe the whole thing) of garlic, several ounces of spinach, and a can of uncooked chickpeas? My gut tells me I would cook the pasta separate and heat the oil, put garlic in for a little, then add and cook down the spinach, then add the chickpeas for a minute, then add pasta and serve? Maybe sprinkle some parmesan cheese and a little black pepper on top? Or is this just a bad idea? Thanks!

I'd probably put the pasta in the water about the same time i put the garlic in the oil in a skillet. Give the garlic 1-2 minutes, add the chick pea for 1-2 minutes. Take a 1/4 cup splash of pasta water and add it to the pan with a poo poo ton of pepper. Once the water is mostly cooked down another 4-5 minutes later add your spinach to wilt. About this time you're draining your pasta, don't rinse it, and throw it into the skillet. Stir to coat, maybe add a little lemon juice. You'll have 2 dishes to clean and be done in 10-12 minutes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nah, that’s good, I do stuff like that all the time - your guessed method is fairly close, I’d cook pasta separately and leave it a little more al dente, heat olive oil in pan, add sliced garlic and fry for a minute, wilt spinach and heat chickpea, maybe add some pepper flakes or dry herb at this point if you feel like it, add pasta with a little of its water and finish in the skillet, season with whatever else strikes your fancy. Parm is good, lemon zest or juice is good, fresh herbs, whatever. You could also deglaze with a splash of wine for flavor, toss the whole thing in a vinaigrette off the heat, or alternatively cook the chickpeas and garlic in a agridolce lower & slower, then add spinach at the end to wilt.

efb surreptitiously phone typing at work

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Agridolce?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

vuk83 posted:

Agridolce?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrodolce

its agridulce in spanish if you’re poking at my typo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nephzinho posted:

I'd probably put the pasta in the water about the same time i put the garlic in the oil in a skillet. Give the garlic 1-2 minutes, add the chick pea for 1-2 minutes. Take a 1/4 cup splash of pasta water and add it to the pan with a poo poo ton of pepper. Once the water is mostly cooked down another 4-5 minutes later add your spinach to wilt. About this time you're draining your pasta, don't rinse it, and throw it into the skillet. Stir to coat, maybe add a little lemon juice. You'll have 2 dishes to clean and be done in 10-12 minutes.
Perfect, thank you so much! I'll be working on this here in a few minutes; I'll post a trip report.

Hauki posted:

Nah, that’s good, I do stuff like that all the time - your guessed method is fairly close, I’d cook pasta separately and leave it a little more al dente, heat olive oil in pan, add sliced garlic and fry for a minute, wilt spinach and heat chickpea, maybe add some pepper flakes or dry herb at this point if you feel like it, add pasta with a little of its water and finish in the skillet, season with whatever else strikes your fancy. Parm is good, lemon zest or juice is good, fresh herbs, whatever. You could also deglaze with a splash of wine for flavor, toss the whole thing in a vinaigrette off the heat, or alternatively cook the chickpeas and garlic in a agridolce lower & slower, then add spinach at the end to wilt.

efb surreptitiously phone typing at work
I dont know what deglazing is and if I wasnt lazy I would google it but I appreciate the extra info even if someone already answered in case I want to try something new!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I dont know what deglazing is and if I wasnt lazy I would google it but I appreciate the extra info even if someone already answered in case I want to try something new!

The burnt stuff at the bottom of your pan is actually Secret Flavor and your trusty friends A Spatula and some wine or broth will unlock its hidden potential.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 16, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Hot take but my favorite deglazing method is spinach

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Michael Scott posted:

Jacques Pepin posted:

give me oignon or give me death

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yotam Ottolenghi has a wonderful recipe for chickpeas with pasta. I've cooked this a few times now and it's lovely. Give yourself plenty of time to strip the thyme leaves off the stems as it's a time (:dance:) consuming job!

Gigli with chickpeas and za'atar

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What can I do with canned french green beans? I grew up eating them, I like them with some butter and fried onions. Something about that mushy texture is so nostalgic for me, it was the only vegetable I liked growing up. Anyhoo, I went overboard at the last canned goods sale and bought a few too many cans. Same with corn. What's good for using up canned goods? It would also be great if these recipes didn't use an oven, mine is terrifying and I haven't turned it on since about April because it heats up the whole apartment.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What can I do with canned french green beans? I grew up eating them, I like them with some butter and fried onions. Something about that mushy texture is so nostalgic for me, it was the only vegetable I liked growing up. Anyhoo, I went overboard at the last canned goods sale and bought a few too many cans. Same with corn. What's good for using up canned goods? It would also be great if these recipes didn't use an oven, mine is terrifying and I haven't turned it on since about April because it heats up the whole apartment.

I haven't tried this, but it's on my list. It's from a blog that tests old recipes. She finds a lot of duds, but this one appears to be a win and doesn't use an oven:

Surprise Dip

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'll post a trip report.
It turned out pretty good, but not great. I used lentil pasta noodles to try to add some heft to the meal, but it came in a 10z package so I decided to use the whole thing (normally my wife and I make half a 16oz package of normal pasta). I think it would have been better with a little less pasta and more spinach. Overall it was a little bland, but it was exactly what I wanted and it wasnt bad so I'm happy. Also, the noodles were cavatappi (sp?) and I feel like something different may have been better with this kinda dish - any pasta experts have any suggestions on what I could use instead?

Bluedeanie posted:

The burnt stuff at the bottom of your pan is actually Secret Flavor and your trusty friends A Spatula and some wine or broth will unlock its hidden potential.
Oh, awesome, I will have to read up more on how to unlock this hidden bonus flavor.

Anne Whateley posted:

:frogon:

Helith posted:

Yotam Ottolenghi has a wonderful recipe for chickpeas with pasta. I've cooked this a few times now and it's lovely. Give yourself plenty of time to strip the thyme leaves off the stems as it's a time (:dance:) consuming job!

Gigli with chickpeas and za'atar
This sounds like something that my wife would absolutely love, thank you!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is a thermapen worth the cost jump from the thermopop?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Finish searing your whatever, take it out, and turn the pan off. Throw in a couple big handfuls of spinach and poke it around. The heat remaining in the pan will be enough to wilt it, and as it wilts, it gives off water that gets the fond up off the pan and covers the spinach in it. :getin:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got any go-to potato and leek soup recipes? Made one last night and it was really simple, but delicious. Would like something that manages to blow you connoisseurs away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anne Whateley posted:

Finish searing your whatever, take it out, and turn the pan off. Throw in a couple big handfuls of spinach and poke it around. The heat remaining in the pan will be enough to wilt it, and as it wilts, it gives off water that gets the fond up off the pan and covers the spinach in it. :getin:
Awesome, thank you!

Qubee posted:

Anyone got any go-to potato and leek soup recipes? Made one last night and it was really simple, but delicious. Would like something that manages to blow you connoisseurs away.
You cant say this and not share the recipe!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

This looks like a pro-tier recipe — thanks

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You cant say this and not share the recipe!

It was this basic BBC recipe. But it's a real no mess, no fuss kind. I wouldn't mind one that throws in a few more herbs and stuff to make it even better.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think a British Broadcasting Corp. recipe being weirdly underseasoned is a feature, not a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Qubee posted:

It was this basic BBC recipe. But it's a real no mess, no fuss kind. I wouldn't mind one that throws in a few more herbs and stuff to make it even better.

Nutmeg