Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That print thing doesn’t even work 100% either. The FedEx guy stopped by my house and told me that he wouldn’t even be able to leave it if someone weren’t there ( I had gone to sleep because I’m a big baby and just wanted to wake up and have an iPhone)

I’m convinced it’s just a thing they tell workers like “don’t leave it there, it’s a bigger hassle to find a stolen iPhone than it is to have someone come ick it up from the hub”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FedEx is easy because you can just go to their website and have it rerouted to a FedEx store. UPS won't let you do it until they've made at least one delivery attempt, I believe. They will let you pick it up at the local depot after the driver returns from the route.

And Verizon shipped mine via UPS and I can't be home Friday since my mom will be in town. :negative:

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Thanks for the info folks. I’ll try to see if Apple can change my delivery address. Otherwise I may just have to wait for a different delivery time

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Tried to find an answer to my question but haven’t found anything. I ordered from Apple but got called in for Friday. Is this something that needs to be signed for? Can’t find anything on the site regarding this... and my neighbor is never home. Is there a way I can get this rerouted to my work address?

With the X, UPS always tried to deliver to our house while I was at work. I contacted UPS and they told me that I would have to pick it up at the depot. After driving an hour and a half to the depot, I had the phones for my wife and me.

It sucks that there was no other way but at least I did not have to worry about them being stolen or “lost”.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

FedEx is easy because you can just go to their website and have it rerouted to a FedEx store. UPS won't let you do it until they've made at least one delivery attempt, I believe. They will let you pick it up at the local depot after the driver returns from the route.

And Verizon shipped mine via UPS and I can't be home Friday since my mom will be in town. :negative:

See if it'll let you set an alternate delivery location (your local UPS store) from the main my choice preference page. When this is set before the label is created, there is no first delivery attempt at your residence. This has overridden shipper restrictions for me in the past, but it's a YMMV type situation. Not 100% if it trickles down to existing labels though, but you can always try "Change Delivery" yourself on your tracking# if not.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 17, 2019

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

UPS will let you change the delivery before the first attempt. I think you just need to have an account. I just found mine using my phone number as the reference number and was able to have it held at the local depot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Thanks for the info folks. I’ll try to see if Apple can change my delivery address. Otherwise I may just have to wait for a different delivery time
Apple will not do it (I think because phone carriers require it to be shipped to the billing address). You have to do it via the courier.

fr3lm0 posted:

UPS will let you change the delivery before the first attempt. I think you just need to have an account. I just found mine using my phone number as the reference number and was able to have it held at the local depot.
You might be right, I think my issue is more that the depot is way across town and I won't really have time to get over there this weekend. I'll have to see if they'll deliver to the UPS store near me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So I’m blowing up my whole mobile life to bits. I’ve had the same Cingular->ATT account for nearly 14 years. My parents switched to Xfinity mobile 8 months ago with high praise for it being good and much cheaper than ATT.
I got a notification from Xfinity about a promotion for $250 off new iPhones bought before the 30th. I stopped by the store and talked to the agent about the plans and to see if the 11 was part of the promotion. It was. So I ordered my wife an 11 in red; I’m not sure I’m gonna give up my SE yet but $250 on the brand new iPhone is super enticing. My monthly bill is going to drop to $64/month instead of ~$110.

:iia:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also migrated my family (4 lines) from ATT for over a decade to Xfinity Mobile and holy poo poo the amount of money we are saving.

EDIT: The only catch with the $250 is it's only valid if you're porting a number in for that line and it takes like 90 days for it to arrive as a Visa gift card. Once you get it though you can apply it to your device's balance through their app.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Nice to know the savings are good. I’m porting two number over; and I’m not financing the phones; just paying outright for them. I know the visa prepaid cards show up in a few months; those will get swallowed up in a matter of weeks at Costco anyways.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Freaking Verizon. Went into a store while out of town for work to ask about if they’re getting 11’s in on Friday and how much a trade I could get. Told them I don’t know which one I want for sure yet but I was just speculating.

Just got an email. They preordered a space grey 64 phone on my account without my say so to a store I may not even be near on Friday.

So.....It doesn’t matter if this is indirect or corporate or whatever, wherever and however this happened isn’t ok.

So yes, yes Verizon is a big company and has some dumb policies. But I’ll go on a limb and say the company doesn’t want to auto sell phones to people who did not opt to buy phones. Hell, Verizon is a service company, they don’t even make money on selling phones, so other than retention they really don’t care whether you buy an iPhone 11 or keep an old iPhone 6.

Verizon loyalty is (800) 392-0717 , in this case I honestly encourage, call them, explain what happened, ask them to cancel the preorder and file a complaint.

Unless it’s some big misunderstanding , that needs to be fixed and honestly that stuff does get bubbled up if you complain.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Picking your mom over a midnight green iPhone. For shame.....

like a robot
Jan 8, 2015

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing should change. You might consider calling AT&T and having your phone provisioned with an eSIM, but no, there's no downsides to using an unlocked phone.

Cool, thanks for the info

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Make sure you set a reminder or calendar event to cancel the trial in October because you can't cancel the trial and keep the remaining time like every other app trial lets you do because of course you can't. You couldn't do the same with News+ either.

e: Have any devs come out to say how Apple is paying them for Apple Arcade? Does the app track playtime and then they get paid some rate per time for it? Average monthly users/players? Fixed rate every month? I'm just curious more than anything because if I were in it for the money and didn't care about "ethics" then I would just keep selling gambling games to children with their parent's credit cards :shrug:. The deal from Apple though seems like it has to be at least somewhat competitive with that model to entice devs.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 17, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No one has said how much that I have heard or read but a few people on podcasts have said the off the record rumor is that the rates are pretty bad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My kids are going to love Arcade, and I am so far. I'll pay the half :10bux:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Any word yet if the games will be straight-up purchasable? I wanna get ChuChu Rocket and Sayonara Wild Hearts but don't really wanna have to re-up a subscription months down the line if I want to show them off to someone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

TraderStav posted:

My kids are going to love Arcade, and I am so far. I'll pay the half :10bux:

I did a couple of games for 20 minutes last night. More than 30% of my battery was drained. I was not expecting that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Any word yet if the games will be straight-up purchasable? I wanna get ChuChu Rocket and Sayonara Wild Hearts but don't really wanna have to re-up a subscription months down the line if I want to show them off to someone.

Probably not. If you're not subscribed and go to an app's page, it says "Try It Free" and prompts you to then sign up for Apple Arcade with the month-long trial.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LODGE NORTH posted:

Probably not. If you're not subscribed and go to an app's page, it says "Try It Free" and prompts you to then sign up for Apple Arcade with the month-long trial.
That's a shame :(
ChuChu Rocket doesn't seem to be out yet so I'll wait for it to release before I start the free trial.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For 5 bucks a month I’m actually impressed with what I see so far. And I was a bit of a naysayer when they announced it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

astral posted:

Does/did Verizon at least tell you which line was (allegedly) using the data?

Yeah it was my line. Sorry I could've made that more clear.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Really enjoying Capy’s “Grindstone” so far.

Is there an Apple Arcade thread?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Feenix posted:

Really enjoying Capy’s “Grindstone” so far.

Is there an Apple Arcade thread?

iOS Games Thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659022

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Doesn’t seem like it’s been posted yet but review embargoes have been lifted. Seems pretty positive on the camera front!

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I have an iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 12.9 in really good condition (with AppleCare) that I'm looking to sell, does anyone know where the best place to do that is? I've heard about Swappa, but I've also heard some horror stories about people selling their phone and then the buyer filing a Paypal dispute. Are there any ways to safeguard against this, or should I just sell elsewhere?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Supersonic posted:

I have an iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 12.9 in really good condition (with AppleCare) that I'm looking to sell, does anyone know where the best place to do that is? I've heard about Swappa, but I've also heard some horror stories about people selling their phone and then the buyer filing a Paypal dispute. Are there any ways to safeguard against this, or should I just sell elsewhere?

To somebody else locally; I’ve never ever gotten less money doing it that way, but I get not everyone wants to bother.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mediaphage posted:

To somebody else locally; I’ve never ever gotten less money doing it that way, but I get not everyone wants to bother.

Agreed, though it does suck when people show up with half of the agreed-upon price in the hopes you’ll cave. You have to be willing to put up with that kind of bullshit; in my opinion, it’s better than dealing with contested PayPal payments.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Supersonic posted:

SA Mart is hit or miss but always worth posting.

I’ve had good luck with Swappa, but certainly paypal disputes are a risk.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I was pretty dead set on not getting a new iPhone to replace my 8 this year but then on Sunday I was out fishing on my kayak and it was like nature spoke to me. First a group of 4 loons surfaced out of the water and started swimming fairly close to me, I pulled out my phone to shoot a video but the zoom level was terrible, 2x zoom would've been way better. Next I caught a huge bass and struggled to take a decent selfie with the whole fish in frame, wide angle selfie would've solved that. God wants me to buy a new phone that I don't need, why else would He deliver His creatures to me in such a manner during iPhone launch week?

Also does anyone know if there's a way to actually snap a selfie without holding/touching your phone? I know Siri can open the camera but I'd like to be able to take a pic without holding my phone because I can get a pretty good angle when it's in my kayak's cup holder.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Duckman2008 posted:

SA Mart is hit or miss but always worth posting.

I’ve had good luck with Swappa, but certainly paypal disputes are a risk.

I was thinking about SA Mart and have successfully sold things there in the past, but I live in Canada and am worried the insurance and duties on the package would really eat into the margins.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

prom candy posted:

So I was pretty dead set on not getting a new iPhone to replace my 8 this year but then on Sunday I was out fishing on my kayak and it was like nature spoke to me. First a group of 4 loons surfaced out of the water and started swimming fairly close to me, I pulled out my phone to shoot a video but the zoom level was terrible, 2x zoom would've been way better. Next I caught a huge bass and struggled to take a decent selfie with the whole fish in frame, wide angle selfie would've solved that. God wants me to buy a new phone that I don't need, why else would He deliver His creatures to me in such a manner during iPhone launch week?

Also does anyone know if there's a way to actually snap a selfie without holding/touching your phone? I know Siri can open the camera but I'd like to be able to take a pic without holding my phone because I can get a pretty good angle when it's in my kayak's cup holder.

Watch can control the camera.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 17, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Watch can control the camera.

Additionally there are ridiculously cheap bluetooth accessories you can buy that will also do it. As will using the timer and sitting the phone down, which is more of a pain but also free.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well dang, reviews all dropped and it seems like Apple did exactly what it needed to camera wise in terms of night photography, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Has anyone done a head-to-head using the new cameras vs that nn camera app?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Silly Burrito posted:

Maybe, but this is a brand new Kenwood stereo with wired/wireless Carplay that was just installed a couple of months ago. I don't have an issue with Carplay itself. If you use it via the touchscreen it works fine. It's just asking Siri "Navigate to Lowe's" and getting something not even close to Lowe's. "Text my wife that I'm coming home and getting milk" and she receiving "I'm lonely and petting silk", and two days ago, I tried to text my daughter "I'll be there in two minutes, come outside", and Siri repeatedly kept saying "Let me know what you want to send". I just gave up after the fifth try.

I get that I have a southern accent, but when I speak slowly and clearly directly to the mike, I'd think this wouldn't be an issue. :shrug:

I think most aftermarket head units have much worse mics than either what your phone comes with or what new factory cars have. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any way for the phone to really know it can’t “trust” this mic so you get garbage back.

My pioneer definitely has terrible accuracy with Siri in a way that never seems to be a problem with the phone on its own and/or with AirPods. It probably doesn’t help that my car never had very good road noise isolation.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

prom candy posted:

I thought "hey Siri take a selfie" worked, but all it does is open the camera app with the front-facing camera active.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Welp, just got me an Apple Card. Felt cool and futuristic applying through the Wallet app and then using it a few minutes later.

I guess I'm a tool/shill but I honestly think I'll get some good value out of it. I was in the middle of making an online purchase that took Apple Pay, and since I had been considering the card anyway it made sense to finally pull the trigger. So that was 2% cash back right there, and obviously I'll get more when I buy the big-ticket Apple stuff I'm planning on over the weekend.

I figure I'll be using more and more Apple Pay over time (about to be a first-time watch user!) so it seemed like a good time to jump on board. I've got better rewards on different cards but they are pretty circumstantial, so might as well get 2% back instead of 1% on a bunch of things while I'm out and about. That titanium card in the mail will feel cool but be ultimately pointless I figure, as I'll just be using a different card if a merchant doesn't take Apple Pay anyway.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 17, 2019

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I got an Apple Card specifically put my various Apple subscriptions on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you want a 2% card, just get Fidelity's 2% cash back card, or Paypal's 2% cash back card, or Alliant's 2% cash back card, or heck even Citi's benefit-slashed 2% cash back card. Not only will you get 2% in apple pay, but you will also get 2% back with the actual card!

To prevent further derail I'll just mention there's a thread about credit card rewards here. :shobon: