Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

StonecutterJoe posted:

Don't worry, the third book is going to kick things into high gear any year now when Rothfuss gives up and asks Brandon Sanderson to write it for him.

Brandon Sanderson trying to write like Rothfuss sounds like a total catastrophe, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Brandon Sanderson trying to write like Rothfuss sounds like a total catastrophe, honestly.

And I will pay good money to read that catastrophe.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Uncle Lloyd posted:

America's least horny writer trying to write like it's most horny sex pest

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Brandon Sanderson trying to write sounds like a total catastrophe

yeah

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Showtime passed

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/lin-manuel-mirandas-kingkiller-chronicle-being-shopped-showtime-pass-1239819

quote:

Lin-Manuel Miranda's Kingkiller Chronicle is on the move.

Showtime has released the fantasy drama back to producers Lionsgate Television, which is already shopping the project based on the best-selling series of novels by Pat Rothfuss. Sources say Apple is among the outlets that have been sent the scripts from John Rogers (Leverage). Showtime and Lionsgate declined to comment.

Showtime landed the project in October 2017 following a multiple-outlet bidding war and subsequently put the drama in development. (There was no formal series order at the time.) The TV series being developed is an origin story that is set a generation before the events of the trilogy's first novel, The Name of the Wind. The show is planned as a companion alongside a feature film that is poised to adapt Rothfuss' book series. Lionsgate is looking to build Kingkiller as a larger franchise that also includes interactive games and more beyond the film and TV show.

Repost about Rothfuss wrt business and professionalism.

al-azad posted:

So uh I’m quoting this 2 month old post to say that Rothfuss is indeed a creepy weirdo. I was at a convention and a recent acquaintance, a woman half his age, geeked out upon meeting him and invited him to sit and talk at a table with other fans. He offered her a private chat in his hotel room with the promise of ice cream. She says no at which point he promptly about faces leaving a trail of dust and beard hair behind him, just total cold shoulder.

I got loads of inside baseball on his dealings and I can’t speak about it without giving away peoples’ identity but let’s just say that the only professional thing this guy runs correctly is his charity which is the only nice thing I can say about the dude. If you’re in a business deal with him he will forget your name, blow you off, and waste your time and money.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 17, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kvothe on Showtime? Nevermore.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay but The Name of the Wind is already a lovely origin story. How do you origin story an origin story?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I bet the studios are lining up to deal with Rothfuss's inevitable #MeToo moment

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The only characters from a generation before I can even name are Kvothe's parents. There just isn't anything there. It's all in Kvothe's dumb story.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dudeness posted:

The only characters from a generation before I can even name are Kvothe's parents. There just isn't anything there. It's all in Kvothe's dumb story.

Well his mom is apparently the sister of The Duke's noble wife since she raised such a fuss over the Ruh stealing her sister from the family.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Does Lionsgate have a track record with this stuff? All I remember from then is the Punisher movie.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mp5 posted:

Kvothe on Showtime? Nevermore.

onward to skinemax

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Starz should pick it up and make in the spirit of Spartacus.

Actually, gently caress that I'll just take some more seasons of Spartacus.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

onward to skinemax

They don't even have horny movies anymore

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

HIJK posted:

Does Lionsgate have a track record with this stuff? All I remember from then is the Punisher movie.

They were a middling production company until Twilight went buck.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

pentyne posted:

Well his mom is apparently the sister of The Duke's noble wife since she raised such a fuss over the Ruh stealing her sister from the family.

Right, I forgot about that. I would say because it had so little impact on the story but so much of the books have no impact on the story so that can't be it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Isn't Rothfuss in a relationship? That type of behavior...ugh.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

Isn't Rothfuss in a relationship? That type of behavior...ugh.

He lives with his girlfriend of 10+ years with whom he has 2 children. He tends to creep at conferences, which is convenient since usually his girlfriend is back home with the two kids and isn't there to catch him.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

who could have predicted the guy who wears a "Joss Whedon is my master" shirt is a philandering creep

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

who could have predicted the guy who wears a "Joss Whedon is my master" shirt is a philandering creep

Always two there are. A master...and an apprentice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mewse posted:

I bet the studios are lining up to deal with Rothfuss's inevitable #MeToo moment

You can't have a #MeToo moment when you eat your victims, bones and all, like Rothfuss does.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can't have a #MeToo moment when you eat your victims, bones and all, like Rothfuss does.

:lol:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1172658440478625798

http://twitter.com/xsprinkledheart/status/1173082915766505472

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Signing other people's work is the most obnoxious twee bullshit.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
i really only read this thread to maintain my rage.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Doing more work on the series than Rothfuss is.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I've been thinking about it for a few hours and I still can't decide if the mark in the middle of the face is a nose or a mouth

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Why does he sign other people’s books?

He bragged about doing the same thing a while ago,
walking through B&Ns and signing his name into random books and acting like a hero over it.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

HIJK posted:

Why does he sign other people’s books?

He bragged about doing the same thing a while ago,
walking through B&Ns and signing his name into random books and acting like a hero over it.

Because he's so full of himself he genuinely thinks people are going to be awed by finding his autograph in random-rear end books that have nothing to do with him.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does signing other people's books a habit he picked up from someone else,perhaps?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TV Zombie posted:

Does signing other people's books a habit he picked up from someone else,perhaps?

There have been random social media posts through the years of one author signing books by another author. The key difference in literally every single one of those cases was that someone purchased the book prior to the signing and it was done tongue-in-cheek. Rothfuss, being a consummate moron, missed the point and is instead a complete dick.

I have something like 800 signed books, only one of which is signed by someone that did not work on the book. It was done as a gag at the suggestion of the guy that actually wrote the book because it was a running joke between the two authors for that specific book. You don't just show up at a bookstore and start signing books you had nothing to do with.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

There have been random social media posts through the years of one author signing books by another author. The key difference in literally every single one of those cases was that someone purchased the book prior to the signing and it was done tongue-in-cheek. Rothfuss, being a consummate moron, missed the point and is instead a complete dick.

I have something like 800 signed books, only one of which is signed by someone that did not work on the book. It was done as a gag at the suggestion of the guy that actually wrote the book because it was a running joke between the two authors for that specific book. You don't just show up at a bookstore and start signing books you had nothing to do with.

In case anyone doesn't remember, it's not that Rothfuss was signing his name in books for people, he walked into a bookstore and started picking up copies of books that he didn't write to sign his name in and put it back on the shelf. And then bragged about it on twitter how excited people would be to see his signature when they bought the book.

The bookstore should've removed all the books he signed and sent him a bill for the store property that he defaced.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ornamented Death posted:

And his fans being, well, people who like his kind of garbage writing, think it's just THE BEST.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea it's a cult.

I kinda want to check back and see if his FB page is riven between the people asking for the third book and the die-hard cultists.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I kind of get the impression that the wait for the third book is really starting to do in even his die-hard cultists. If Rothfuss wants to keep his lovely book grift up, he has to produce sometime.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yea it's a cult.

I kinda want to check back and see if his FB page is riven between the people asking for the third book and the die-hard cultists.

Its mostly people cracking jokes about how book 3 is never coming out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Robert Jordan has now published two books since The Wise Man's Fear was released in 2011. He has been dead for the last 12 years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Robert Jordan has now published two books since The Wise Man's Fear was released in 2011. He has been dead for the last 12 years.

:lol:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Atlas Hugged posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Atlas Hugged posted:

:vince: