Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

7c Nickel posted:

He couldn't be removed from the ballot without jumping through hoops due to dumb WFP policies. He endorsed her after he lost, didn't do any campaigning for himself and only got like 5% of the vote from confused people. The people demanding he move out of the state so she could win by 70% instead of 65% were just being stupid.

The claim was NYC policies, except that was for if he wanted to get off the ballot without WFP cooperation. They offered to take him off the ballot, but he pretended that offer wasn't made and just blathered about not wanting to change his address to another state (where he actually lives anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The offer was they would change his election to some other position he didn't actually want to run for. The idea that not wanting to deal with that poo poo was a fiendish plot was and is a stupid conspiracy.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

7c Nickel posted:

The offer was they would change his election to some other position he didn't actually want to run for. The idea that not wanting to deal with that poo poo was a fiendish plot was and is a stupid conspiracy.
Yes, yes. The same man who runs senior citizens in races they don't even know about, is concerned about this. Truly a brain-genius take.

That said, that's all the defending of WFP I'm going to do today. Or ever. You're a pea-brained lunatic though, 7c Nickel, never let anybody tell you otherwise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
My Claim : Joe Crowley did not feel like putting in extra effort to help improve AOC's 100% guaranteed win percentage by a few points after having lost the primary.

Your Claim : Joe Crowley tried to win the general election by staying on an extremely minor party ticket, endorsing AOC, and never campaigning.

Is that correct?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

My Claim : Joe Crowley did not feel like putting in extra effort to help improve AOC's 100% guaranteed win percentage by a few points after having lost the primary.

Your Claim : Joe Crowley tried to win the general election by staying on an extremely minor party ticket, endorsing AOC, and never campaigning.

Is that correct?

Nah, Joe Crowley tried to make AOC's guaranteed win be by as low an amount as possible so that all the headlines could point to it and go "see this radicalism only wins by a small amount if in far left new york, this is why we can only ever run basically republicans in every other district."

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Wouldn't step one of trying to sabotage her numbers being doing literally anything besides conceding, endorsing, and not campaigning? I mean I guess your response would be that he couldn't do anything too obvious, but then I have to ask how you could even tell he was trying to sabotage it in the first place?

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Why are the MSNBC darlings not showing up to MSNBC's climate summit? I don't want to sound too tinfoil hat but this is just ripe for that kind of speculation. There's been a lot of pressure thankfully coming from the left about corporate media bias recently so my pet theory is some of the centrism brigade are scared of being seen as getting favored by whomever is going to be moderating at the event.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

7c Nickel posted:

Wouldn't step one of trying to sabotage her numbers being doing literally anything besides conceding, endorsing, and not campaigning? I mean I guess your response would be that he couldn't do anything too obvious, but then I have to ask how you could even tell he was trying to sabotage it in the first place?

I don't think it was a coherent plan, really. Crowley was supposedly being groomed as Pelosi's successor and he got stomped and made irrelevant overnight. It was somewhere between a tantrum and a half-hearted attempt at a spoiler run before realising no one cared.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

He couldn't be removed from the ballot without jumping through hoops due to dumb WFP policies. He endorsed her after he lost, didn't do any campaigning for himself and only got like 5% of the vote from confused people. The people demanding he move out of the state so she could win by 70% instead of 65% were just being stupid.

He could have run for, like, sheriff, to get his name off the ballot. He didn't have to move. Or run as an independent. But, yah know, spite is a powerful motivator.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Nah this is all a lie.

Cynthia Nixon got herself removed from the WFP ballot no problem when she lost the primary.

He was, at best, being a petty dickhole sore loser.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 17, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pointing to the fact that he didn't do anything after AOC called his wretched rear end out as proof that he was never going to do anything is some silly poo poo. Crowley was a huge loving scumbag and deserving of absolutely 0 benefit of a doubt.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of the Crowley/AOC race, did everyone see that Netflix documentary? (Bring Down the House? Knock Down the House? something like that). I remember after AOC's primary win hearing about how Crowley wouldn't even show up to debate her and would send a surrogate, but I had never SEEN the actual sham of a debate. It was cringe as fuuuuuuuuuck. I actually felt bad for the councilwoman who he sent in his place. She had no idea what she was talking about and AOC ran circles around her.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Biscats n Gravy posted:

Why are the MSNBC darlings not showing up to MSNBC's climate summit? I don't want to sound too tinfoil hat but this is just ripe for that kind of speculation. There's been a lot of pressure thankfully coming from the left about corporate media bias recently so my pet theory is some of the centrism brigade are scared of being seen as getting favored by whomever is going to be moderating at the event.

I think it's more about isolating and minimizing Bernie. The new marching orders seem to be to pretend that Bernie doesn't exist and make sure not to highlight anything that might help him. If someone brings up a Bernie policy, call it a Warren policy and move on. Don't call on him at debates. Bernie's going to a climate summit to talk about one of his key issues? Oh well we have other places to be so all you get for your event is Bernie and two also-rans desperate to gain any traction in the polls.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think it's more about isolating and minimizing Bernie. The new marching orders seem to be to pretend that Bernie doesn't exist and make sure not to highlight anything that might help him. If someone brings up a Bernie policy, call it a Warren policy and move on. Don't call on him at debates. Bernie's going to a climate summit to talk about one of his key issues? Oh well we have other places to be so all you get for your event is Bernie and two also-rans desperate to gain any traction in the polls.

My favorite example of this is the interview with the WFP dude over the Warren endorsement who lists off Bernie's policies as why they chose Warren as if they were hers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Biscats n Gravy posted:

Part of it is that the candidates aren't placing that much priority on climate. Let's not forget that Harris was going to skip the first climate forum too, until she saw the backlash. Now that they've attended one climate forum and released their climate policies, they feel like they've spent enough attention on climate, so now they're spending their time on other priorities. Harris and Warren will be holding campaign events in Iowa both days, for example, while Beto will be touring prisons and poor neighborhoods in LA. Klobuchar will be making campaign appearances in the Midwest, and Biden is going to be at a $1000-per-seat fundraising dinner in Chicago.

The other part of it was that CNN's climate forum was a total mess that barely anyone liked. The format was terrible, the times were terrible, the moderators were terrible, and so on. As a result, the ratings were terrible and it drew few viewers even though several candidates had drawn attention to it by dropping their climate plans on the day of the forum. So viewership expectations are low for the MSNBC forum, and looking at their format, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually worse.

It's the same one-candidate-at-a-time format, except this time each candidate gets an entire hour. Also, unlike the CNN forum, it's open to any candidate who wants to participate, so all the nobodies who don't even make the debate cuts anymore will be there. Michael Bennet, John Delaney, Tim Ryan, Steve Bullock, Marianne Williamson, and even Republican candidate Bill Weld are all participating, and each and every one of them gets a full hour on stage. If you're wondering how they plan to fit this two-day event into TV scheduling, the answer is that they won't be: MSNBC will air snippets and pieces of it during their afternoon shows, but anyone who wants to see the whole things will have to watch a special livestream.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Undecided rockets to first place in New York and I think this is Kamala's lowest showing ever in a statewide poll

https://twitter.com/djjohnso/status/1173940651366502401

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/hamiltonnolan/status/1173962982910509056

quote:

NEW YORK—In April of 2016, I went to a huge Bernie Sanders speech in Washington Square park, which spilled out into the surrounding streets around NYU. Last night, I went to a (not quite as huge, but still big) speech by Elizabeth Warren, in the same park, under the same noble white arch. What’s the difference?

It is true that Warren’s crowd is, perhaps, a bit wonkier, a bit more buttoned-up—a crowd too respectful of norms to talk during the national anthem, but also not aggressive enough to yell at me when I did. Warren had come to roll out her plan to end government corruption just a block away from the location of the notorious Triangle Shirtwaist fire, where 146 workers died gruesomely due to greed and nonexistent workplace safety. Warren paid lengthy tribute to Frances Perkins, who was inspired by the fire to redouble her efforts as a social crusader, and who went on to become Franklin Roosevelt’s labor secretary and a key backer of the New Deal. Workers haven’t had as good a friend in the Labor Department, or in the White House, since. In 2020, we have a legitimate chance to have a true friend to the working class as president once again. The two true friends in the race are Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, who are running more or less even for a close second behind Joe Biden. For anyone with a meaningful grasp of what the problems are facing America—for anyone who might be inspired by the story of Frances Perkins, or anyone who might regularly read Splinter—the Democratic primary is an audition of these two candidates. They each have their partisans already, but for the first time in my life, I keep returning to the question: What is the difference, in substance, in what they would do if they were elected president?

In substance. In style, you can see the differences. Many people cite the fact that Bernie is a “movement guy” and Warren is a “wonk,” but that is more a matter of presentation. Both are strong supporters of organized labor; both want to attack climate change; both want to end mass incarceration and close the racial wealth gap and support abortion rights; both want to do as much as can be done to lessen the influence of money in politics, and make voting more meaningful. Bernie may have a better plan for health care; Warren may have a better plan for affordable housing; both of them, I believe, are existentially committed to turning around the growth of economic inequality, which is the biggest underlying issue that fuels many of the other issues that we talk about.

The primacy of inequality, its role as the fountainhead of so many other problems, makes many of the political arguments we have about stylistic details of these candidates unimportant. Warren’s annual wealth tax on the very rich is, to me, the single most radical policy proposal of any candidate in the race, and would do more than any other single policy to alter the imbalance of economic and political power in this country. It strikes me as absurd, then, to knock Warren for being wonky. Inequality can only be solved by growing the power of organized labor and, even more importantly, via the tax code. The tax code is wonky. Tax policy is wonky. It is also the most powerful tool for fixing what ails us. One wonky change to the tax code, accompanied by another wonky change to labor law, can reverse the trends in this chart—a chart that goes a long way towards encapsulating everything that has been wrong with America for the past half century. As Warren spoke about her wealth tax last night, you could see a handful of people standing out on the balconies of the graceful Fifth Avenue apartments overlooking the square, watching. I like to imagine that they were contemplating their own demise.

There is an unimaginable amount of money at stake in this election. The implementation of the sort of changes that Warren and Bernie want to implement in the tax code would cost the very richest people in the country many hundreds of billions of dollars. The same is true of multinational corporations, which can be thought of as algorithms that operate to maximize their own profits, which are unfortunately treated as humans for the purpose of campaign finance. Accumulating political power is a rational choice for such an algorithm, and to the extent that Bernie and Warren want to limit the opportunities for such corporate political power, corporations will oppose them. This is all to say, simply, that there will be a staggering amount of financial resources directly and indirectly arrayed against the success of these two candidates. Both, or either. Think about the collective power of the group that encompasses “Wall Street, major corporations, and the rich,” and you can start to imagine the sort of opposition that will rise up against either of these people if they are the Democratic nominee. When you keep this in perspective, the fact that we on the left are engaged in harsh and bitter battles over the relative merits of these two similar candidates seems rather petty and unwise. If Bernie crushes the rich in a “movement” style and Warren crushes the rich in a “wonky” style they have still both crushed the rich. I just can’t find it in myself to get particularly worked up about who does it, so long as it gets done. Nor do I trust my own powers of prediction enough to tell you with real confidence who would be more likely to get it done. They both want to get it done. And, not to be too cutesy, getting it done is going to require a whole loving lot of People Power, because the power that comes from money will be acting to stop it. If the portion of the American electorate that can accurately identify both the problems with and the best solutions to our nation’s problems proceeds to divide itself in half and then consume itself with rivalry over personalities while the upper class marches on to win another class war, I am going to loving scream. Let’s not do that.

Eat the rich in 2020. Don’t worry too much about which fork you use.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Are we supposed to ignore that Warren has already promised to welcome big money after the optics of doing so during the primary are no longer a factor. To say nothing of the endless amount of slack the author seems willing to afford Warren that she hasn't earned.

He also is an idiot who doesn't understand why Bernie being the movement candidate is actually important.

This endless puffery for Warren is getting exhausting.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

eke out posted:

Eat the rich in 2020. Don’t worry too much about which fork you use.

except one of the forks has fused tines and is loving useless

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I know you're unapologetically Warren and all that but stating your case with something stronger than hollow rhetoric for a woman that has already taken money and exchanged power with the rich she's supposed to eat might help your case.

Real nice photo capture though, she really showed off her Obama pablum that night.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's weird seeing nolan of all people turn into one of those "they're the same!" folks.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's great because when she doesn't do any of that these same people who said "she'll crush the rich just like Bernie why do you caaaaaarrrrrre which one is doing it" will say ":smug: she told you she was going to take their money, of course she has to keep their favor to get money for next time. You should have cared in the primary, nobody tricked you stop being a baby."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's also amusing that he started off with

quote:

Warren had come to roll out her plan to end government corruption

which is so insanely stupid to proffer as your first and foremost commitment as president, especially when you've made it clear you won't do anything meaningful about the judiciary that would act as the premier bulwark against most of what she's proposed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Biscats n Gravy posted:

In addition to what Main Painframe said, most of those MSNBC darlings actually don't want anything to do with talking about climate change. Remember that Biden fought to get the DNC to nix a climate change debate. They don't want to have to answer questions about why their plan is dogshit and they don't want to put forward a non-dogshit plan because they're afraid of not getting the totally reasonable Republican who is seriously not voting for Donny vote.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Office Pig posted:

especially when you've made it clear you won't do anything meaningful about the judiciary that would act as the premier bulwark against most of what she's proposed.

fyi warren supports court packing, maybe you're thinking of Bernie, who does not?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Well that's strange, tonight MSNBC listed Bernie as not calling for impeachment. Just an oversight I'm sure.

Last I saw Bernie tweeted for "all constitutional means" or something else cagey that didn't use the word impeach.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Office Pig posted:

especially when you've made it clear you won't do anything meaningful about the judiciary that would act as the premier bulwark against most of what she's proposed.

???? There are a lot of things to criticize Warren on but her judiciary, finance, and corruption reform plan are about on par with Bernies in terms of aggression. It's social programs and GND where she's worse.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

eke out posted:

fyi warren supports court packing, maybe you're thinking of Bernie, who does not?

For your information Warren has never said she supports court packing beyond some vague support of the idea, and her last word on this subject was finding ways to work around the court.

But yeah no it's not like you can actually defend your own candidate, loop around to Bernie Sanders again, or complain about the ~bros~ since that's really more your field of expertise.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

overmind2000 posted:

Undecided rockets to first place in New York and I think this is Kamala's lowest showing ever in a statewide poll

https://twitter.com/djjohnso/status/1173940651366502401

Biden is still going to win and we're all going to die.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Biden is still going to win and we're all going to die.

Nono, Biden is going to die and we're all going to win.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
https://dmlnews.com/video-biden-brags-about-his-time-in-the-hood/
Sometimes Biden's campaign seems like a parody.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i legitimately cannot grasp supporting warren over sanders. i can't grasp supporting the others either but i know those supporters are either stupid, uninformed, or monsters. warren supporters have their hearts in the right place most of the time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bernie needs a way to lure in the undecided. These are the moderates who don't want far left policies, but don't like Biden. His best bet, without sacrificing his values, is probably to appeal to their greed. Yangs continued existence has proven this. I wonder what would happen if, after Yang has dropped out, Bernie starts pushing the UBI.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i legitimately cannot grasp supporting warren over sanders. i can't grasp supporting the others either but i know those supporters are either stupid, uninformed, or monsters. warren supporters have their hearts in the right place most of the time.

If Warren was several steps closer to Bernie I'd probably be there. Bernie is worryingly old and has a couple of painfully dumb plans, like the rotating supreme court.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Some people see support for Palestinian genocide and recoil, others see it then pretend they didn't.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gyges posted:

In addition to what Main Painframe said, most of those MSNBC darlings actually don't want anything to do with talking about climate change. Remember that Biden fought to get the DNC to nix a climate change debate. They don't want to have to answer questions about why their plan is dogshit and they don't want to put forward a non-dogshit plan because they're afraid of not getting the totally reasonable Republican who is seriously not voting for Donny vote.

The reason Biden doesn't want to talk about climate change is that he is taking oil money, plain and simple.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Some people see support for Palestinian genocide and recoil, others see it then pretend they didn't.

Bernie is only a little better in this regard. His entire statement on it is pretty mealy-mouthed. I wouldn't hold it up as a strength.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If our movement was going to be destroyed by not-quite-the-right person becoming President then it wasn't going to succeed in the first place.

This poo poo is bigger than Bernie. Get your family, friends, coworkers onto the GND. Get them for a living wage, for rent controls and death to landlords, for abolishing billionaires, for crushing car culture, for ending Christian hegemony, for ending white supremacism. Get them for local and state office, get them for unionization, get them to engage and participate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

Bernie is only a little better in this regard. His entire statement on it is pretty mealy-mouthed. I wouldn't hold it up as a strength.

sadly we'll probably never get a candidate who's right on israel but warren's take was super bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

My opinion is that Bernie being the best we've got on the matter is an incredible indictment of the party. The fact that he is monumentally better in comparison is depressing.