Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bell jar posted:

No it wasn't

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Enya is rich as hell and lives in a giant castle alone with a bunch of cats and if y'all don't want to be like her you're a drat fool

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Picnic Princess posted:

Enya is rich as hell and lives in a giant castle alone with a bunch of cats and if y'all don't want to be like her you're a drat fool

I thought that was Celine Dion. Could be both I guess.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

starkebn posted:

I thought that was Celine Dion. Could be both I guess.
Celine Dion is also Enya. Enya contains multitudes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Celine Dion is the face Enya wears when she wants to wear the wicked face of pride or the face of mourning.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

No it wasn't

Yes, it actually was. Sorry your taste is garbage.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

dirksteadfast posted:

In California there is a sales tax levied on food prepared hot or cold food prepared and eaten on the premises, but not on cold food when taken to go. This means that at Subway you do technically pay extra if you want your sandwich toasted.

Edit: In case anyone was curious, it’s because sales tax is applied to finished product, and cold food taken to go was meant to encompass food that required extra steps (such as cooking) to be consumable. They didn’t make additional caveats such as ready-to-eat food that happens to be cold to keep categorization simple.

Wait until you see the states that have really complicated sales tax on drinks. Tea=no tax, sweet tea=tax, soda=tax, diet soda=tax (it's still soda), orange juice= no tax (healthy) milk=no tax (healthy).

Wendy's Frosty=no tax.

You see, a Frosty has milk and is therefore healthy. No tax.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Man Beck is... eclectic and eccentric. I don’t know how else to put it. I decided to put on Midnite Vultures earlier thanks to BeckChat. I’m not always on board with the word-salad style of lyrics but sometimes they really work, Hollywood Freaks comes to mind.

I used to have Odelay! in pretty heavy rotation, I’ll have to give it another spin soon. Only after a Cars retrospective though, RIP Ric Ocasek.

Hirayuki posted:

Celine Dion is also Enya. Enya contains multitudes.

Enya is Legion.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't particularly like The Cars in general but Just What I Needed is a great song

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Phlegmish posted:

I don't particularly like The Cars in general but Drive is a great song

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

That was Ben Orr on vocals though so don’t worry about it

I’ve only really come to appreciate The Cars in the last couple of years, oh well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mostlygray posted:

Wait until you see the states that have really complicated sales tax on drinks. Tea=no tax, sweet tea=tax, soda=tax, diet soda=tax (it's still soda), orange juice= no tax (healthy) milk=no tax (healthy).

Wendy's Frosty=no tax.

You see, a Frosty has milk and is therefore healthy. No tax.

In Philly the tax is generally applied to packaged products with added sweeteners, so coffee isn't taxed, but a Starbucks bottled frappuccino is. I think going into a Starbucks and getting them to make you a prepared drink (like a frappucino) is taxed as would any other food that they're preparing for you, but I'm pretty sure it's the standard sales tax and not the insanely high tax they're putting on soda et al. This is just in city limits too, outside the city there is no specific soda tax.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Check out Mutations if you want to see him being a little less electronic. Nothing mind blowing but some nice little acoustic ditties

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HairyManling posted:

Yes, it actually was. Sorry your taste is garbage.

I rewatched some classic Futurama recently and Just Figured Out that bender actually sucks real bad. (also 60s/hippy parodies)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Moon Monster posted:

I rewatched some classic Futurama recently and Just Figured Out that bender actually sucks real bad. (also 60s/hippy parodies)

Umm, mods?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Just figured out The Boys Are Back in Town is not by Queen. I blame A Knight's Tale for this embarrassing error.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

That was Ben Orr on vocals though so don’t worry about it

Well I just now figured that out

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I just had the thought "Huh, 'can' is short for 'canister'. It's so blatantly obvious it has to be true. Better tell this thread".

It's not. Bad etymology post avoided, glad I checked.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Name checks out as crushinator’s father

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

packetmantis posted:

Just figured out The Boys Are Back in Town is not by Queen. I blame A Knight's Tale for this embarrassing error.

It was awhile ago, but one time it occured to me that I hated "the boys" and everything they stood for.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

It was awhile ago, but one time it occured to me that I hated "the boys" and everything they stood for.

Agreed, but “The boys, an outmoded symbol of masculine bonding and herd mentality who all need two in the back of the loving head to prevent the further degradation if the gene pool, are back in town” is a lot less catchy.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Once water starts boiling there's no point in keeping the stove on high. Your food isn't going to cook any faster than if it's on low/medium. Just going to evaporate the water faster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bamhand posted:

Once water starts boiling there's no point in keeping the stove on high. Your food isn't going to cook any faster than if it's on low/medium. Just going to evaporate the water faster.

Just turn it down to the point where it simmers after it's reached a boil, it'll cook just fine.

My goddamned housemates never figured this out so whenever they cook food on the stovetop they turn it up to high and then walk away so it always boils over.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bamhand posted:

Know that red dot in the middle of Tefal pans? When the text/logo on it becomes unreadable, that's a sign the pan is at the correct temperature and you need to dial down the heat.

The people who complain about teflon pans not lasting are the people who didn't read the loving manual.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bamhand posted:

relatedly there are also tons of people out there who think cans of food will explode if you boil them

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Imagine being in such a poor state in life that you have something against the boys and them being back in town danananaaaa na danananaaaa na danananaaaa na danana na na na na na na

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The boys can gently caress off

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I didn't just figure this out, but when I did, it all made sense...

Odelay was produced by the Dust Bros., that also produced the similarly sample-heavy and v.good Paul's Boutique by the Beatsie Bois.

here's a playlist of 36 songs sampled in Odelay:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM6d5JQOtqZv_NBsZ_bDnU3ywIV0X6xvM

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Krankenstyle posted:

The boys can gently caress off

If you want to say that to my face I’ll be at Dino’s Bar ‘n’ Grill around 9 PM

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just learned that if you click on the poster in a quoted post, it will take you to the post on the awful app.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Don't feel bad about just figuring that out, it's been working then not working then working again for like the last 8 years, in browsers and on the app.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not a Springsteen fan, so when this came on a random playlist, I thought it sounded really familiar

https://youtu.be/boJhWtw-6Gg

https://youtu.be/1aQldvK3Y1A

Maybe I have brainworms but it's 2019 and I still listen to Butthole Surfers so probably.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not a Springsteen fan, so when this came on a random playlist, I thought it sounded really familiar

https://youtu.be/boJhWtw-6Gg

https://youtu.be/1aQldvK3Y1A

Maybe I have brainworms but it's 2019 and I still listen to Butthole Surfers so probably.

butthole surfers are the poo poo

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

butthole surfers are the poo poo

on account of the surfing of buttholes

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Ned Beatty and Warren Beatty are not related. Shirley McClaine and Warren Beatty are siblings.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ego-bot posted:

Ned Beatty and Warren Beatty are not related. Shirley McClaine and Warren Beatty are siblings.

gently caress.

Not only that but they were born three months apart, so they could have only been cousins or something.

Somehow I knew the second one though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warren and Shirley's last name is actually spelled Beaty too, he changed it when he started acting and she was already using a stage name.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

foobardog posted:

On top of all that, hot prepared food is blocked from EBT (food stamps) while cold prepared food is not. So many grocery stores will just make twice as much and throw half in the fridge while keeping the others warm and fresh.

This is part of the reason cook-at-home pizza exists.

If poor-hating assholes had their way, they would probably also take away benefits from anyone who is rich enough to own a microwave oven instead of a conventional oven.

I knew about prepared vs non prepared for EBT, but didn't realize about the cold food part. My grocery store does fried chicken, but there is always fried chicken in the cooler section as well. I though, well, maybe it's the leftovers, but it's priced the same and have seen them put it out right before the evening shopping rush hits. Now this makes sense. I always wondered who the gently caress would by nasty rear end cold fried chicken when you could by nasty rear end hot fried chicken. Now I know.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

gently caress.

Not only that but they were born three months apart, so they could have only been cousins or something.

Somehow I knew the second one though.

Huh? Three years apart, not months; Shirley in April 1934, Warren in March 1937

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Huh? Three years apart, not months; Shirley in April 1934, Warren in March 1937

You can't just put, like, labels on time man.