Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm anime only but I read that as a result of being constantly in a state of total concentration breathing which is why a bunch of the hashiras have the same pupilless eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Zenitsu There must be some great pay-off and development of his character later, considering all the people loving him here,
Like honest question why would a later pay-off make people like a character who was bad for a long period of time? A character's whole journey should be built into the intended audience reaction and appreciation for the work. A character who's bad for the first three hours of a work is a bad character regardless of later developments.

I personally like Zenitsu as is.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Zenitsu is fine, it's just his rants sometimes overstay their already lukewarm welcome.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like honest question why would a later pay-off make people like a character who was bad for a long period of time? A character's whole journey should be built into the intended audience reaction and appreciation for the work. A character who's bad for the first three hours of a work is a bad character regardless of later developments.

I personally like Zenitsu as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikGvLUbOuU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Zenitsu is (mostly) a good boy and I won't let this denigration of his (kinda lovely) character stand!

He's just a dumbass kid.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

zenitsu is a little over the top, but like that someone is reacting to the zany world of demons. I actually like his horny routine less than his normal bitching, but it was fine in this episode.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm anime only but I read that as a result of being constantly in a state of total concentration breathing which is why a bunch of the hashiras have the same pupilless eyes

Yeah martial arts breathing bullshit is the muscles equivalent of that myth that we only use 5% of our brain.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Zenitsu is (mostly) a good boy and I won't let this denigration of his (kinda lovely) character stand!

He's just a dumbass kid.
Great AV title and Post combo! :monocle:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

zenitsu has a pretty rational, sane reaction to existing in a world where demons rove around eating humans and slayers have the life expectancy of a fruit fly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sane or rational are very bad descriptors for how zenitsu acts 99% of the time

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If the only thing wrong with Zenitsu was a (totally justified) fear of demons, he'd be no different than any other scaredy cat character who can dig deep and find their courage when the chips are down

It's all the other poo poo that's annoying! How you gonna complain about taking the medicine that de-stumpifies your limbs?! If you wanna have stumps instead, go right ahead!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Dude, it's really bitter.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zenitsu isn't logical he's a whiny rear end in a top hat which is wonderful.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Zenitsu isn't logical he's a whiny rear end in a top hat which is wonderful.

This doesn't compute.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kids gonna kid

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

This doesn't compute.
Zenitsu is a whiny rear end in a top hat. He is wonderful.
Same as Luigi in the Paper Mario games or Squidward.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Slightly off-the-beaten-path thought/idea, but here it goes: Zenitsu kinda reminds me more of Aqua from KonoSuba than Mineta, Miroku or whoever, even if he does have elements of those types of characters. I think that's made him way more tolerable in my eyes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's also uncalled for to compare him to Mineta, a character entirely defined by being both completely useless and thoroughly repugnant in his behavior towards women.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Zenitsu is pathetic, and is treated as pathetic by everyone around him. The narrative doesn't ignore or condone his behavior.

Mineta is sexually harassing someone every time he's on screen but it's contextually treated like it's a hilarious joke. He sucks on a level Zenitsu doesn't even approach.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's also uncalled for to compare him to Mineta, a character entirely defined by being both completely useless and thoroughly repugnant in his behavior towards women.

I'll give you that second one. But he's far from useless.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I think they can both suck in their own slightly different ways. The existence of one is irrelevant to the other.

The problem with Zenitsu, I feel, is that he wastes too much of the audiences time hooting and hollering when a very brief amount of time spent on his reactions would be sufficient.
And that's more of a pacing problem, I feel? Like, he doesn't need to be screaming on screen for five minutes straight when it would've been sufficient to just spend one minute on it and move on without him repeating himself all the time. But it's not really just a Zenitsu problem.
Like, the show is pretty decent all things considered and far removed from the usual shounen hellscape of awful pacing, it just sometimes seems a bit oddly paced and bumbles in the weirdest places.
And maybe that's on them trying to strictly match chapters or including every bit of text from the source, rather than doing their own thing? Zenitsu screaming about nothing probably doesn't disrupt the flow of the manga as much as it grinds the show to a halt. Just guessing here, haven't read the manga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zenitsu is pathetic, and is treated as pathetic by everyone around him. The narrative doesn't ignore or condone his behavior.

Mineta is sexually harassing someone every time he's on screen but it's contextually treated like it's a hilarious joke. He sucks on a level Zenitsu doesn't even approach.

Um, literally every single time Zenitsu was in vicinity of an attractive female character and was able to move, he tried to harass her and it was always treated as a joke. In this very episode there was like 5 minute long comedic segment where he has a tirade about how incredibly cool it is that they can touch girls during the recuperation sessions, which ends with him coping a feel during a game of tag and getting slapped for it.

Both him and Mineta are cowardly, react to incredible situations they end up with as a result of their profession as an ordinary human would, are generally considered pathetic but can be badass if backed in the corner and have absolutely horrible attitude and behavior towards women, which is treated as comedy (unfortunately). The only big difference is that Zenitsu is major character, while Mineta is a minor one, so Zenitsu has a lot more space to be badass and show other sides of his character then just being a sex pest.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All this whining about Zenitsu is reminding me of Zenitsu's whining.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just caught up, what an amazing show!

I didn't like how the leaders were like, "She may kill humans so we can't trust her" while talking about killing a human. People who talk that easily about murder have probably killed some people and shouldn't really be judging.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LorneReams posted:

I just caught up, what an amazing show!

I didn't like how the leaders were like, "She may kill humans so we can't trust her" while talking about killing a human. People who talk that easily about murder have probably killed some people and shouldn't really be judging.

It turns out that people who are adept at killing things are not the most well rounded individuals out there.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also pretty strong indications that they've all suffered massive trauma of one form or another.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just felt like, wow, these guys are going to gently caress up and kill the doctor lady dooming their world.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Zenitsu is amazingly cool and absolutely terrible. He's both good and annoying.

I think he's a good foil to Tanjiro's earnestness and unwavering courage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I love about Zenitsu unconditionally is that it gave us the best early Tanjiro reaction face.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Tanjiro being unable to deal with Zenitsu's perfectly reasonable and mortal objections to fighting monsters has the same energy as Goku learning to drive a car.

e: though as I recall, in that scene Zenitsu is being weird and gross, the point stands. Anything that stumps saintly good boy is bound to be funny.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 17, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
my issue is more with the screaming voice acting than the characterization, it's grating and gives me a headache

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Shere posted:

Tanjiro being unable to deal with Zenitsu's perfectly reasonable and mortal objections to fighting monsters has the same energy as Goku learning to drive a car.

Not really? From Tanjiro perspective, Zenitsu is a Slayer like him, he presumably went through the same training and selection exam. He's not a civilian, so him freaking out this badly is pretty off-putting.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not really? From Tanjiro perspective, Zenitsu is a Slayer like him, he presumably went through the same training and selection exam. He's not a civilian, so him freaking out this badly is pretty off-putting.

It's kinda hard to call a teenage kid "not a civilian" though. They're basically child soldiers and although they are competent, it's still gotta be really bad for one's psyche.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not in the fiction of this show. the joke is that zenitsu is pathetic and the reason you can sympathize with him is because he knows it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What is the general age for slayers anyway? All the Hashiras look young to me.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're mostly pretty young.

Tanjiro 15
Inosuke 15
Zenitsu 16

Rock 27
Sound 23
Flame 20
Water 21
Wind 21
Love 19
Mist 14
Snake 21
Insect 18

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Hashiras are all in their late teens or early 20s, except for Stone hashira Gyomei Himejima (late 20s) and Mist hashira Muichiro Tokito, who I think is around the same age (or younger?) as the three protagonists.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They all vary, but even the "oldest" is relatively young. And yeah, Tokito (small kid with long hair) is Nezuko's age.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Their job has a very high turnover rate, and the veteran who don't die are often forced into early retirement because of injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like Zenitsu because if Tanjiro came upon a demon with like some bizarre deformity and acid for blood he'd be like "Oh, poor thing, a life time of torment turned him into this monster... I'll hug him!" where as Zenitsu will rightly yell "You want me to fight this? Really? It has acid for blood you know that, right? I'm supposed to cut it but if it bleeds I'll die? What the gently caress?" ad infinitum like I would do.