Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

Time for rms to polish his resume

... Oh shoot

I would imagine he's well experienced in wrapping his :flaccid: content in LaTeX?

:shrug:

E: He's the one who leaves used condoms everywhere, right? That's the joke I'm making here but I don't remember if it was RMS or some other :pervert:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hmm... i've never heard of that, but i don't want to google for it either

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Looks like RMS is giving up his MIT pet pedo status. Breaking out into the privates sector. God help us all.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/richard-stallman-famed-mit-computer-scientist-who-defended-jeffrey-epstein-resigns

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So what, he's going to get a seat on the GamerGate board of directors and go on wingnut welfare the lecture circuit?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

the lecture circuit?

he's way ahead of you https://github.com/ddol/rre-rms/blob/master/rider.txt

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

If I am quite sleepy, I would like two cans or small bottles of
non-diet Pepsi. (I dislike the taste of coke, and of all diet soda;
also, there is an international boycott of the Coca Cola company for
killing union organizers in Colombia and Guatemala; see
killercoke.org.) However, if I am not very sleepy, I won't want
Pepsi, because it is better if I don't drink so much sugar.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Hasn’t stallman defended pedophilia before? I seem to recall some email where he was like “have you thought that maybe it doesn’t harm the children?”

This is really unsurprising because Rms has always been known as a creep that people just looked the other way on.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:blastu: :rms2:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ryde posted:

Hasn’t stallman defended pedophilia before? I seem to recall some email where he was like “have you thought that maybe it doesn’t harm the children?”

This is really unsurprising because Rms has always been known as a creep that people just looked the other way on.

yeah, he’s also went on to defend loving dolphins among other things

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

yeah, he’s also went on to defend loving dolphins among other things

wasn't that also mcafee?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yeah IMO this is more about his last 30 years of lovely behavior than just his latest comments. Should have happened long ago.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

gonadic io posted:

yeah IMO this is more about his last 30 years of lovely behavior than just his latest comments. Should have happened long ago.

Pretty sure the original tweet even specifically said that its just the piss topping on a poo poo sunday.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s weird to look up and see that people think of the project you’ve been a part of for ten years as some sort of political weapon when all you actually cared about was making a better compiler

i don’t know anybody on llvm or clang who sees destroying the fsf as desirable much less a goal and yet that’s this ubiquitous narrative

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
gently caress all you guys for being OK with this.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Mordekai posted:

Please elaborate.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rms is bad and irrelevant

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mordekai posted:

:suspense:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mordekai posted:

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mordekai posted:

go on...

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Mordekai posted:

:allears:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Mordekai posted:

I'm not saying this just to be controversial, but I think pedophilia is actually bad.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

klafbang posted:

I'm not saying this just to be controversial, but I think pedophilia is actually bad.

But is it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mordekai posted:

stallman has made a lifestyle over decades of calling out literally everyone else for not meeting his moral standards

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

stallman has made a lifestyle over decades of calling out literally everyone else for not meeting his moral standards

When your moral standard is a C89 function compiling lisp with undefined behaviour, that's really easy to do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mordekai posted:

lol i read this and was confused because i thought "but no one in here is okay with rms' pedophilia, i think???"

but that's not what you are saying at all, is it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mit and the larger open sores community has definitely been ok with RMS for decades. none of this behavior is new

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

mit and the larger open sores community has definitely been ok with RMS for decades. none of this behavior is new

the open source community such as.... microsoft?! https://github.com/microsoft

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
microsoft open sores licenses are purposefully incompatible with the GPL in order to avoid the taint of the fsf

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

no it’s not but hopefully having the spotlight shined on it will push people to start cleaning house

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

microsoft open sores licenses are purposefully incompatible with the GPL in order to avoid the taint of the fsf

avoiding the taint of rms by using the MIT license? :chloe:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i think it's great how the jocks in the 80s movies were right all along. nerds must be destroyed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird coincidence that toxic shitlords have been both the beneficiaries and perpetuators of 4 decades of the "the smartest people are all toxic shitlords" myth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fiction: oh those dumb brute jocks, all they care about is sex and pushing people around, they're the worst, unlike us sensitive thoughtful nerds

reality: football stars are protesting police brutality and the nerds are all megalomaniacal rapists

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jocks are bad too, the myth is that nerds are less bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

weird coincidence that toxic shitlords have been both the beneficiaries and perpetuators of 4 decades of the "the smartest people are all toxic shitlords" myth

idk anyone who thought RMS was "smart". hes always been just a shitlord.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

fiction: oh those dumb brute jocks, all they care about is sex and pushing people around, they're the worst, unlike us sensitive thoughtful nerds

reality: football stars are protesting police brutality and the nerds are all megalomaniacal rapists

and the football stars that are megalomaniacal murderers/rapists are the ones that suffered from traumatic brain injuries

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

Could we have one thread without discussing :rms2:'s ballsack?

E: :v:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 17, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

hobbesmaster posted:

the open source community such as.... microsoft?! https://github.com/microsoft

trap sprung

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

He's a bad man. Most of us have worked with men like him and not done enough to call them out. We can.. just do that, you ain't going to lose your job over it now, it isn't 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

jocks are bad too, the myth is that nerds are less bad

well sure. thinkin bout brock turner, the stanford swim team rapist whose mug shot is now a literal textbook example of sexual assault

but on the whole if you gave me a choice of hanging out with 20 randomly selected nerds or 20 randomly selected jocks i would definitely pick the latter. at least they shower