Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

If it's any consolation, there still hasn't been a U1 2/2 with no downside

Just don’t ask about U 3/2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

for all the boomers out there: what did your LGS carry before MtG struck big? Like what game had people coming out to hang out and play before magic? Just DND?

Comics and an internet cafe.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The collectable fad right before MtG was pogs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fadam posted:

for all the boomers out there: what did your LGS carry before MtG struck big? Like what game had people coming out to hang out and play before magic? Just DND?

E: I'm barely under the wire for Gen X, a year later and I'd be a millennial, but:

My "FLGS" was about a 40 minute drive from my podunk town to Milwaukee. The Virtual Gaming Center.

It was a big LAN center that rented time on powerful (ONE HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ PENTIUM) PCs that were hooked up to 30 inch CRTs monitors, and that was its bread and butter before MTG took off as I recall. It was still a going concern with people coming in to rent PC time while others were cating Holy Strength on their Craw Wurms. Mechwarrior 2 was probably the most played when I started gong there.

I assume mine was a little unusual though and most of them were proper gaming hobby shops that carried AD&D second edition, Warhammer, and Vampire: The Masquerade as their mainstays.

Edit 2: Whenever my friend and I were going to the VGC on the weekends, my dad (rip) would say "Oh, the virgin guys club?"

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 17, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

fortifying provisions is neat in limited from a synergy perspective, seeing as how at least the UW theme "bonuses for both artifacts and enchantments"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Giant's Skewer is a uh... flavor win.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Never expected mtg would have a vore themed set but here we are

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

If it's any consolation, there still hasn't been a U1 2/2 with no downside

Which is wild because there was a 2/2 with no downside for UU in Alpha.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Owlbear Camus posted:

Monoblack will be some business too. I think the castle is good, 2-3 of. Not for nothing even if you are out of gas and peel a land, that's not a dead card if you have the swampfall guy out.

I've learned to respect the swampfall guy.

E: Rakdoz Aggro-risticrats feels on the verge of breaking out in the new standard to me, as well.

Way ahead of you

https://twitter.com/F2K_Ashlizzlle/status/1172602090876788736?s=19

It's really fun to play too

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

ah but what if your opponent plays a merfolk, then it has a downside!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:goonsay: technically giving your opponent's merfolk islandwalk and an anthem is downside.

e;fb

I ran Phantasmal Terrain in my OG merfolk deck to make sure I could make the most of the islandwalk.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In the UK Games Workshop basically killed off all other brick and mortar game stores for a while, so there weren't a ton of independent places to play stuff that wasn't Warhams until GW nearly imploded.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The annoying thing about that green land is that it ramps, but only when you already have enough Mana. What green creature costs more than 5 and is constructed playable? Basically just hydroid krasis. It's only ramp for 1 turn and then its basically overkill. It might not have much of a deck building cost but it also doesn't do much

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It would be pretty stupid at any lower mana amount.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A Moose posted:

The annoying thing about that green land is that it ramps, but only when you already have enough Mana. What green creature costs more than 5 and is constructed playable?

Beanstalk giant, I suppose? They go in the same type of deck.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

It would be pretty stupid at any lower mana amount.

They could have gone bigger, like 5 mana + tap to make 8 mana or something. Then it might be good for something.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Moose posted:

The annoying thing about that green land is that it ramps, but only when you already have enough Mana. What green creature costs more than 5 and is constructed playable? Basically just hydroid krasis. It's only ramp for 1 turn and then its basically overkill. It might not have much of a deck building cost but it also doesn't do much

wotc is not going to put actual good ramp on a land itself

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A Moose posted:

They could have gone bigger, like 5 mana + tap to make 8 mana or something. Then it might be good for something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Panzeh posted:

wotc is not going to put actual good ramp on a land itself

well not again. well, not after that one. or that one. or that other one. but surely that last one was the last mistake!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

I'm in my mid-30s, but my first LGS back in the mid-90s was a sports card and memorabilia store at first. A bunch of other stores around here started that way also. All it took were stores suddenly getting phone calls from kids asking about Magic cards for the owners to realize they had a new source of income.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hell, this could just be uncommon. It really is a worse Temple of the False God. At least that is better in multiples and has no restrictions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Moose posted:

hell, this could just be uncommon. It really is a worse Temple of the False God. At least that is better in multiples and has no restrictions.

This taps for mana before you can activate its ramp ability. In fact i'm not clear how in any respect it's worse than Temple of the False God except in some weird corner cases with tons of utility lands.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

evilweasel posted:

well not again. well, not after that one. or that one. or that other one. but surely that last one was the last mistake!

fair, the sol and tron lands were a pretty massive design mistake

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

No judith?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've never preordered a card before, but I just did a set of the green Castle based off how much this thread hates it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Ancient Tomb, Academy, Cradle, Cabal Coffers, Mishra's, Urza's, Cloudpost, Nykthos, Eye? Am I missing any? E Temple was probably fine but for Eye.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Ancient Tomb, Academy, Cradle, Cabal Coffers, Mishra's, Urza's, Cloudpost, Nykthos, Eye? Am I missing any? E Temple was probably fine but for Eye.

City of Traitors!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

evilweasel posted:

This taps for mana before you can activate its ramp ability. In fact i'm not clear how in any respect it's worse than Temple of the False God except in some weird corner cases with tons of utility lands.

its a forest that has a chance to come into play tapped. Its best case scenario is that you can ramp when you already have a bunch of mana and not a lot to spend it on. Remember, you can't ramp into mass manipulation or any other X spell (finales, explosion, electrodominance etc) or omniscience or planeswalkers

All the other rare lands are ok topdecks lategame. They all do something, regardless of what's in your hand. The green land is literally only useable turns 4-6, IF you have something to ramp out. Also you pretty much have to be playing mono-green.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 17, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

axeil posted:

I bet White is some sort of horrible 2W, tap to gain 3 life nonsense.

Just wanna point out that this hypothetical card would be INSANE and would define the format - all white control decks just get a free way to stabilize mid-to-late. Any aggro deck would need a way to go over the top, rather than using burn or medium-sized haste creatures to get the last few damage in.

These lands don't need to be that insane - they're tapped turn 1, likely untapped late, they make colored mana at no life cost, and their abilities just need to be occasionally useful and for their colors to be playable in the format for them to see play. All of the lands are playable so far. Maybe not great, but I can't see any way that a mono-red aggro deck with any number of creatures is gonna pass on playing at least one of the red castle.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I still think green castle makes a lot of sense in primeval titan decks, since if you're lucky enough to draw it it's basically a ramp spell that doesn't use a land drop or time or anything

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Moose posted:

its a forest that has a chance to come into play tapped. Its best case scenario is that you can ramp when you already have a bunch of mana and not a lot to spend it on.

yes, but we were comparing it to temple of the false god which has that same problem. in what way is it worse than temple of the false god?

improvements:
1) doesn't deramp you prior to five lands
2) generates colored mana
3) can use non-land ramp to hit the trigger

i guess it has the following downsides
1) you have to have two green sources to activate, so it doesn't fit into as many decks, and the ramp may not function instantly on hitting four mana if you've gotten the wrong lands
2) may require you to convert two non-green mana into green mana which you may not want
3) in edge cases it can come into play tapped notwithstanding you having the mana being able to trigger its ramp ability

edit: oh yeah i forgot the creature limitation, nm that's a pretty huge downside. still, not really strictly worse, just much more limited in the decks it goes into.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The G castle is good because it replaces a basic forest (or maybe 3??) in your deck and in return it gives you +1 to your Krasis/Voracious Hydra. With Nissa out it is functionally no different from a basic Forest since it still gives GG when tapped and when Nissa is dead it still gives GG.

Mayhem Devil is better in this deck because it's non legendary (for multiple triggers), survives shock/flame sweep/carnarium and also pings when Bontu comes in to eat lands. It also goes off when you Angrath's Rampage your opponents Feather.

Also you aren't necessarily building a wide board to maximize Judith anyway. Most games turn into untapping with a Priest and then sacrificing Chandra tokens and pumping out Demons that do the beatdown.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

A Moose posted:

Pretty much krasis and other hydras. Would have been cooler if you could spend the mana on land abilities so that multiples could be somewhat useful. Maybe that XUUU guy is part of a cycle and makes this make more sense.

The white and black ones are sick though. And the blue will probably get used just because.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

A Moose posted:

The green castle is enormously better than Temple of the False God since when its ramp ability isn't enabled it just taps for G. Compare this to the fail-state of Temple, in which you will lose games because it doesn't make any loving mana.

You are straight up embarrassing yourself with this weird meltdown about how a land with almost no deckbuilding cost doesn't have enough upside.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The blue castle is actually my favorite, and I predict will be pretty good in control decks.

Edit: Now that I've seen the white castle, all the Esper ones are perfectly good additions to whatever Esper control deck ends up existing post-rotation.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 17, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Voyager I posted:

The green castle is enormously better than Temple of the False God since when its ramp ability isn't enabled it just taps for G. Compare this to the fail-state of Temple, in which you will lose games because it doesn't make any loving mana.

You are straight up embarrassing yourself with this weird meltdown about how a land with almost no deckbuilding cost doesn't have enough upside.

Because this is going to be the rare in a pack, its so much worse than the other 4.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Castle Lochtwain

Land

~ enters tapped unless you have Swamp

T: add B

1BB, T: draw a card, then you lose life equal to the number of cards in your hand

Why does this look like a star destroyer from star wars?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A Moose posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo?!?

I need you to go read these cards again and really consider what the hell you just said.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

Why does this look like a star destroyer from star wars?

Looks like Alladin's Lamp to me.

LOL I just looked up Alladin's Lamp the MTG card and wow. Quasi-scry was pretty expensive back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like not a lot of people notice that you can only use the mana from that land's ability to cast creatures.