Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been giving Illusion the side-eye every time I look at it because that "This damage will eventually heal" clause on most of their powers makes me reluctant to solo and I am very bad about joining groups.

Which is a shame, because I've got a very good Doctor Strange costume that would be marvelous as Ill/Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
You aaaabsolutely should not give a crap about the 'it will eventually heal'.
I had an Ill/Emp on live and Containment meant that Blind/Wounds hits surprisingly hard, and even if they do survive the heal only restores like, 10-20% of the damage they ook.
Illusion is broken good. You want the first three powers and the last three powers and the stuff in the middle is good too. I strongly recommend them if you wanna solo as a controller.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brave New World posted:

If you do roll a Dom, make sure to skip the low level immobilizes. They pretty much just draw aggro. Just concentrate on the single target hold to start with, and build up the assault side of your build until the other good primary powers are available to you.

The single target immobilizes have their uses, but yeah I have no idea why people are always so obsessed with the AoE ones.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

John Murdoch posted:

The single target immobilizes have their uses, but yeah I have no idea why people are always so obsessed with the AoE ones.

If im going to immobilize an enemy, I may as well hold them all. Ever seen the way enemies just scatter when there is no brute/tank on a team?
Also keeping a group of enemies in one spot for AOEs is a good thing. AOE immobilize is a pretty useful power.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

because the cooldown is like 4 seconds so you can just keep all the morons in one spot while you use the good cc on the big boys

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
IME low level Controllers/Doms love to roll up on a mob and open with their AoE immobilize and then immediately eat poo poo.

On higher level teams, with access to actual aggro control, and/or something to follow them up with they're fine. You just shouldn't treat them like a Fire Blaster treats Fireball.

Admittedly my #1 complaint with them was that they oh-so helpfully shut off knockback on the entire mob so :rip: all of my fun soft CC but that's been fixed so maybe I'm just holding a grudge.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dareon posted:

I've been giving Illusion the side-eye every time I look at it because that "This damage will eventually heal" clause on most of their powers makes me reluctant to solo and I am very bad about joining groups.

Which is a shame, because I've got a very good Doctor Strange costume that would be marvelous as Ill/Time.

The way Spectral Wounds (and the pets) work is that it does (lets say) 100 psychic damage up front, followed by a 50 point heal 5 seconds later. This looks crappy, except that the heal is not related to the damage. Meaning, if you add 3 red SOs to it, it will deal 150 damage up front and still heal only 50. Then, when you're on a team with 3 people running leadership and you just got a Fortitude buff, Spectral Wounds will deal 200 damage with the heal remaining at 50. Plus, of course, the heal doesn't help a dead defeated mob.

If you plan to team 100% of the time you can skip Spectral Wounds, but if you want to solo, take it and slot it up.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 13, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

IME low level Controllers/Doms love to roll up on a mob and open with their AoE immobilize and then immediately eat poo poo.

On higher level teams, with access to actual aggro control, and/or something to follow them up with they're fine. You just shouldn't treat them like a Fire Blaster treats Fireball.

Admittedly my #1 complaint with them was that they oh-so helpfully shut off knockback on the entire mob so :rip: all of my fun soft CC but that's been fixed so maybe I'm just holding a grudge.

now they just helpfully turn all your lovely knockbacks everyone hates into badass knockdowns everyone loves. they love you john. why dont you love them back?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My knockbacks aren't lovely when they punt mobs into walls or back into patch powers they just escaped. :colbert:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Gynovore posted:

The way Spectral Wounds (and the pets) work is that it does (lets say) 100 psychic damage up front, followed by a 50 point heal 5 seconds later. This looks crappy, except that the heal is not related to the damage. Meaning, if you add 3 red SOs to it, it will deal 150 damage up front and still heal only 50. Then, when you're on a team with 3 people running leadership and you just got a Fortitude buff, Spectral Wounds will deal 200 damage with the heal remaining at 50. Plus, of course, the heal doesn't help a dead defeated mob.

I looked this up earlier and didn't post it, but unslotted it's 50 damage followed by a 20 damage heal 10 seconds later. Three red SO's it's 100 damage (-20) and if I'm undestanding/remembering how Containment works, you toss a blind in in front of it and you get damage and a half (double damage?)

So 180 or 130 damage per application. And Spectral Wounds has a 6 second recharge: You can reapply it before it expires and the mob gets the heal.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I have *NEVER* had a fight go bad because the mob healed back that tiny bit and they were able to turn the tide or whatever, and I've taken Illusion to 50 twice, high 30s once. It's a complete non-issue.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This is pure "I never played Dominator much but it's helped my troller stay alive to punch people-" Armchair logic here, but...

While I agree grabbing the Hold is the most important thing. The initial single target immobilize (Which again, I always get AFTER the hold), is Mag 4, instead of Mag 3 like the AoE immobilize that bounces harmlessly off bosses. Which means it will glue that freakshow boss's feet to the pavement on the first shot, keeping you safely out of hammer hands reach until it's held, and you can punch it at your leisure.

You know, unless it's one of those assholes particularly resistant to immobilizes like warwolves :argh: But yeah. I've seen a lot of people overlooking the fact the single target one is Mag 4. To the point where if I point it out to some random set bonus god in a taskforce they are surprised by this fact.

"If I'm immobilizing them, I may as well hold them!" is almost but not quite right, because the single target immobilize exists to make it easier to hold a boss at your leisure, in SPITE of any aggro. (You know, outside of conveniently being in super mode or other circumstances that will allow your hold to work on a boss in the first shot ). It has also been wonderful insurance, because it means if a hold wears off of one of several bosses in a hectic fight... Well, they are still not going anywhere.

For an incredibly niche value. The immobilize powers tend to have -fly baked in. And if my earth/sonic troller is glad for it to let their weaker Earth Epic pool punch held flying targets in the face that I would otherwise have to akwardly jump up to hit? I can only imagine how much more valuable that would be to a Dominator with a selection of melee attacks at part of their standard powers.

Man, maybe I'll make an Earth/Fire dominator sometime. I'll miss animate stone being so turbo buffed they will shrug off things that finish off tanks in leagues, but Quake and Volcanic Gas have also spoiled me for "Feeling like a controller" in very basic way, that more badass stuff like fire and illusion I love to see in action doesn't quite do for me using it personally.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 14, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

John Murdoch posted:

AoE immob+AoE Disorient is AOE hold, basically. On my grav kin my usual trick is to open with the immob, then wormhole them, because that perfectly clumps them and then whoever's tanking gets a silly-good FS.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am coming back to this fukken game.

Where is Tommy and his loving FIRETRUCKS super baby?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Most of my brute deaths on DFBs come from trying to beat the stupid doms and controllers to the next spawn so I can use aoes as aoes. gently caress those aoe immobs are annoying.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can confirm that Illusion/Time controllers are STUPID good.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gorgar posted:

Most of my brute deaths on DFBs come from trying to beat the stupid doms and controllers to the next spawn so I can use aoes as aoes. gently caress those aoe immobs are annoying.
Are they complaining about knockback while they do it to you? I have found the odds of someone complaining or making "Suggestions" about literally any form of knockback to skyrocket if it's a troller/dom deciding AoE immobilizes in the most painful of spreads is their life's mission :v:

"Hey, it's that one council room with the open floor that slops upwards on all sides to a bunch of other council mobs... So, why did you immediatley belt out an AoE immob, just close enough for them to shoot into the doorway at the party, but too far for any melee guys to go punch them without aggroing two or three more mobs milling around the slopes?"

"The energy blaster would have ruined everything :argh:"

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I have a challenge for the thread:

1) Roll an Earth/* Dominator, or any other primary with a standard AoE Immobilize power.

2) Specifically seek out enemy groups that like to fight with ranged attacks.

3) Open literally every fight with the AoE Immobilize power.

4) QQ about how Dominators suck and delete toon.

5) Log back onto your Scrapper.

Sadly, I really do think that's the common experience for a huge number of CoX players. The AoE Immobilizes, while situationaly useful, gave too many people the wrong impression of Doms.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I feel an urge to roll an energy/ blaster and just slot knockbacks.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I had an Ice/Earth Dom on Live, and mostly soloed to 50. It was fun.

*edit: I had the sets reversed

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 15, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not really a controller person but I do like my nature/nature controller. Has a good mix of holds, heals, buffs and debuffs. Wouldn't want to solo with her though.

Oddly enough my rad/rad defender can also hold and it's hilarious.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

In a full team, just wait back while melee does a few attacks and then start hitting your aoe poo poo

it's not hard

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bieeanshee posted:

I feel an urge to roll an energy/ blaster and just slot knockbacks.

Do a Storm/Energy Defender (or Corr). Way more fun, IMO.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nobody ever talks about Tornado but they should.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Do a Storm/Energy Defender (or Corr). Way more fun, IMO.

This was more to annoy the Lords of Lockdown.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bieeanshee posted:

This was more to annoy the Lords of Lockdown.

Yeah. Do it.
Tornado, Hurricane and Energy blast will send fools all over the place with minimal effort. Way more than an Energy blaster.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah. Do it.
Tornado, Hurricane and Energy blast will send fools all over the place with minimal effort. Way more than an Energy blaster.

They make a great duo, too.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I made a bunch of characters on the goon server* but no one ever seems to be on. Is it a better idea to roll on Indomitable?

*I have a real bad case of alt-itis. I love to make new characters. And it's even better now that I don't have to pay for extra character or costume slots.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

rex monday posted:

*I have a real bad case of alt-itis. I love to make new characters.
"I am a completely normal CoX player..." :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

rex monday posted:

I made a bunch of characters on the goon server* but no one ever seems to be on. Is it a better idea to roll on Indomitable?

*I have a real bad case of alt-itis. I love to make new characters. And it's even better now that I don't have to pay for extra character or costume slots.

The goon population isnt so big at the moment, but I never really have a hard time finding a team in general.

e: on Indom

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

rex monday posted:

indom is the goon server

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, roll on Indomitable. The Homecoming servers are really well populated and even though goons aren't always on, there's always someone to group with on Indom.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I AM THE MOON posted:

indom is the goon server

Pretty sure that the goon server in this case is Worldserver18, the one run by goons...

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Kheldarn posted:

Pretty sure that the goon server in this case is Worldserver18, the one run by goons...

Yeah, this is what I mean. I made a bunch of characters on worldserver18 to try out power sets and costumes but it's I think I'm the only one there lots of times.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I've been playing in groups off and on since the relaunch, but not having really played back in the day I was wondering what some guidelines for a more solo-oriented build would be. Is it as simple as "play a MM", are there particular powersets that excel at it, etc? I'm probably more keen on pushing up enemy quantity because it's fun to beat up big groups than raising the difficulty level, if that matters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I mean, that depends on whether you want to play on a server run by goons, or the server where you're most likely to find goons to play with. If the latter, it's probably still Indom.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ReWinter posted:

I've been playing in groups off and on since the relaunch, but not having really played back in the day I was wondering what some guidelines for a more solo-oriented build would be. Is it as simple as "play a MM", are there particular powersets that excel at it, etc? I'm probably more keen on pushing up enemy quantity because it's fun to beat up big groups than raising the difficulty level, if that matters.

I'm not really a good judge of solo power level, but having done mostly solo play, I'd say any AT will do okay. Controller and Corrupter may have some staying power problems (My Dual Pistols corr tends to throw half a dozen respawns at a mission), but otherwise, MM is a good choice, Brute/Tanker/Sentinel are good choices, I think anything that gets Kinetics is good for soloing.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

ReWinter posted:

Stalker is very good at soloing

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Stalkers are what all scrapper's fathers secretly wish their sons were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Spines/Fire begs to disagree.

Edit: goddamnit. I need to stop being a scrub and play this.