Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Are there any actually good bluetooth mice? I don't feel like permanently attaching a dongle to my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

goblin week posted:

Are there any actually good bluetooth mice? I don't feel like permanently attaching a dongle to my computer.
Bluetooth is inherently really bad for gaming due to a best-case 125Hz update rate, and wastes a lot of power, which limits how good a sensor you can use without destroying battery life.

Logitech has low profile dongles, I’m sure other mice companies do as well. If that’s not good enough I don’t know what to recommend.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

goblin week posted:

How do you define 'good'? Bluetooth can have some quirkiness, like some delay when walking up from sleep, and it isn't ideal for gaming as mentioned. But if you want a mouse than functions normally then there's options, the Logitech ones I've used have been fine.

I'm currently using the Logitech Triathlon which might be a little on the large side for a travel mouse, but it runs off a single battery and has the hyper scroll wheel. Also has a low profile dongle included so you can switch between Bluetooth or dongle if you decide you prefer the other - or even different machines, like desktop to laptop.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Honestly, I don't know what it means either. :( I switched to a widnows computer from a macbook and i've been exclusively touching the trackpad for the last six years, I'm lost and confused and all the wireless mice at Best Buy were tiny.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Most USB receivers are quite tiny now. They would stick out a quarter of an inch give or take a 1/16th.

Find a wireless mouse that has the buttons you want, size you like, and there ya go. If you don't care about gaming, then expand into the bluetooth ones.

From what I've seen though, most bluetooth mice are on the smaller side, as they are meant to pair with tablets and laptops, thus easy portability.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
The Logitech MX Master 2S is on sale today on Amazon for $60. It's supposed to be a really good mouse and supports both Bluetooth and a dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Master-Wireless-Mouse-Rechargeable/dp/B0714D71SB/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I bought this mouse, I think it's pretty good. Willing to answer any questions about it and/or hear about how I wasted my money and am I a big dummy: https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-650-wireless

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Steelseries Rival is a pretty good line of mice.

I'm using the 310.

I considered spending up to either one of the other options for the wireless or vibration, but didn't feel like the LCD screen was worth the increased cost, and having never used a Steelseries mouse before, I wasn't sure if the Rival shape or Steelseries software was going to be my jam. I never look down at my mousing hand when playing games, there's no way for me to get feedback from the side screen. But vibration would have been interesting and potentially useful.

So uh, little of column A, little of column B for you.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 19, 2019

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
My g903's right click just started refusing to hold on down last night. 2 years and 1 month old, so 1 month over the warranty period. Anyone have experience with Logitech being lenient on the warranty period?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lots of people have, just try. At worst they say no. Just dont come at them entitled and angry

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

lots of people have, just try. At worst they say no. Just dont come at them entitled and angry

Thanks. Submitted a ticket, while waiting. tried blowing out the area under the paddles and that resolved the problem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Steelseries Rival is a pretty good line of mice.

I'm using the 310.

I considered spending up to either one of the other options for the wireless or vibration, but didn't feel like the LCD screen was worth the increased cost, and having never used a Steelseries mouse before, I wasn't sure if the Rival shape or Steelseries software was going to be my jam. I never look down at my mousing hand when playing games, there's no way for me to get feedback from the side screen. But vibration would have been interesting and potentially useful.

So uh, little of column A, little of column B for you.

Wireless works well, no vibration though, I don't think. And definitely no screen. That's goofy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Has anyone here done a microswitch replacement on a Logitech G900? I'm on my second one and now one of the DPI buttons is doing multi-clicks. I'm actually surprised since I barely ever use those buttons, and everything else is working fine. If was one of the side buttons that started acting up on my original one.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

gently caress, now I am in a mmorpg mood I really would like a Razer Naga for lefties or something similar. Seems theres no so such thing anymore on the market for left handed people?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klaaz posted:

gently caress, now I am in a mmorpg mood I really would like a Razer Naga for lefties or something similar. Seems theres no so such thing anymore on the market for left handed people?

unfortunately the demand does not exist for any company to spend any effort making them. Razer themselves said they sold as many left handed nagas in 6 years as 1 day of right handed mice.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Most left-handed people tend to use the mouse with their right hand, doesn't surprise me.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

All this talk of mice with beehives of buttons makes me want to try out a toe keyboard for mmos. Since I'm lazy, I'm tempted just rip most of the keys off an old keyboard instead of making something ergonomic.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Anyone try the MX Master 3? I have a Master 2S at work and it's great, so I'm considering replacing my aging G502 (did you know the scroll wheel seems to be painted copper? I discovered this because I've worn the paint off of most of the wheel) with one. I don't game that much anymore and the Master 2S is quite similar but... nicer. I could just get another 2S but it's about the same price as the 3.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I didn’t realize they released a MX Master 3. My original 1 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Might have to pick it up.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How are people finding the wireless G502?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
well generally they go to best buy or amazon or something.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I hope this helps someone: I recently picked up a G Pro Wireless and to pair it to the receiver in the Powerplay mat, you have to do it through the Logitech Gaming Software or G Hub, not Connection Utility. Spent way too long on this.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I remember seeing multiple goons recommend that, instead of a fancy mousepad, people should get some sort of cutting mat that is cheaper, bigger, and just as good. Anyone know what that is? And is it actually that good?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

I hope this helps someone: I recently picked up a G Pro Wireless and to pair it to the receiver in the Powerplay mat, you have to do it through the Logitech Gaming Software or G Hub, not Connection Utility. Spent way too long on this.

Yeah, I found that to be kind of a hassle when I wanted to switch from my 703 to the 903. I had done it before, but not recently, so it took way too long to figure out how to get the mice to switch over. You'd think that just swapping the receiver puck between mice would do it.... :rolleyes:

ponzicar posted:

I remember seeing multiple goons recommend that, instead of a fancy mousepad, people should get some sort of cutting mat that is cheaper, bigger, and just as good. Anyone know what that is? And is it actually that good?

I haven't seen anyone recommend that, although I don't see why it might not work as long as you're using any surface that the mouse can track. Large, non-RGB mousepads are pretty cheap though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Cutting mats are a terrible mousing surface. There's a ton of drag, they're prone to deforming, and they really aren't that cheap.

Just get huge cheap mousepads off amazon.

isndl
May 2, 2012
As far as I know most cutting/crafts mats are slightly grippy to prevent your stuff from sliding as you cut, which is the opposite of what you want in a mousing surface. Cloth mats are cheap enough and it's not like you're buying them more than once or twice a decade anyways.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well that explains why I can't recall anyone here ever actually recommending that! :v:

So here, have a huge, actual mouse pad for $10.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cheap is good but go for solid colors over patterns. No chance of variable drag due to printing and very minor sensor reading errors from an irregular pattern.
You can also rotate it 180 degree when the mousing surface gets dirty without having an upside down design.

Anyways this is the superior $10 mousepad
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2VP8HJ/ref=psdc_705323011_t3_B0752D8LLC

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 4, 2019

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cloth/rubber mouse mat in the washing machine on the lowest settings? Any experiences?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Jippa posted:

Cloth/rubber mouse mat in the washing machine on the lowest settings? Any experiences?

Bad time. Take a fresh sponge and some dish soap and clean it in your tub. Wrap in a towel and pat dry before hanging it for 24 hours. It will come out like new.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I found that to be kind of a hassle when I wanted to switch from my 703 to the 903. I had done it before, but not recently, so it took way too long to figure out how to get the mice to switch over. You'd think that just swapping the receiver puck between mice would do it.... :rolleyes:

I can understand why swapping the puck wouldn't work (it's only for charging). The Lightspeed receiver as part of the Powerplay pad shows up in Connection Utility but that piece of software doesn't work with it. Only resolved after finding a random KB article on Logitech's support site which in hindsight was spot on for my scenario. :eng99:

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Jippa posted:

I've done this several times without issue, personally.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jippa posted:

it works. Its harder on it than hand washing of course but its easier. Just make sure to air dry and if you hang it , do it over something wider so the radius of the bend isnt super tight.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How are people finding the wireless G502?

After some waffling I ended up getting one instead of a MX Master 3, and it's... a G502. It's slightly - only just noticeably - lighter than the original G502, the scroll wheel feels nicer (has some rubber padding on it now), and of course it's wireless, but other than that it's almost identical when comparing them side by side. Not a bad thing - I liked the original G502.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Feels like everybody here must have huge hands; I wanted to like the G502, but to me it feels absurdly long.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lambert posted:

Feels like everybody here must have huge hands; I wanted to like the G502, but to me it feels absurdly long.

I went through a load of different mice over the years and settled on the zowie fk2. I can say it's comfortably the best mouse I have ever purchased. Un flashy and relatively cheap, but incredibly comfortable (with smallish hands) and top build quality.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Lambert posted:

Having had one myself I definitely think that you can't get full value out of it unless you're using a palm grip, due to the button placement. The sniper button in particular is pretty far forward.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Thanks. Submitted a ticket, while waiting. tried blowing out the area under the paddles and that resolved the problem.

Closure: despite it being out of warranty, Logitech replaced my g903 after only some light troubleshooting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lambert posted:

I'm looking to change my G502 now after using it for several years. I've got smallish hands (18cmx10cm) but it wasn't the length that bothered me, it was the height - my wrist ended up hurting after a few hours serious gaming from the slightly uncomfortable angle. It's also obviously a bit heavy. I use fingertip grip so dunno if that makes a difference. Strangely great for office work though - the shift feature which I don't use for gaming I find handy for working with lots of documents, and the size isn't as bothersome when I'm not having to rapidly move with precision.

I was looking at a Model O Minus as a replacement at the other extreme but I can't seem to find much information on the release date for that. Edit: Idiot I am, it's out, just not available in Aus.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I use a fingertip grip with a G500 and I had the same problem until I started using a wrist rest. Most of the one's I saw for sale were too short so I use a stack of folded bamboo socks about an inch tall that keeps my hand parallel to my forearm. There might be something less weird out there, but it got the job done so I haven't bothered looking too hard for a nicer replacement!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 12, 2019