Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, is the Mythical Man Month ESR?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah RMS at least had the 'harmless eccentric' vibe whereas ESR was always awful

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:vomarine:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
This whole episode has made me realize I need to have a canned response to "Why should people lose their livelihood just for expressing an opinion?" that touches on why "opinions" like "actually the pedophile did nothing wrong" are actually not "just opinions." and its not an abridgment of the ~principle~ of freedom of speech to not want to associate with creeps.

Im not good at elucidating my thoughts on the fly and I want to have something better than lol gently caress off.

Anyone have a good, concise argument to that effect?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
freedom from censorship does not mean freedom from consequences

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, is the Mythical Man Month ESR?

:ohdear:

no that's fred brooks

esr wrote the cathedral and the bazaar, which i haven't read

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Soricidus posted:

this is true, but I feel like more people have taken rms seriously. despite the declining importance of gnu, it has at least produced a bunch of worthwhile software that’s still widely used, whereas esr was a one-hit wonder with a book nobody remembers anything about but the title.

plus rms generally managing to come across as harmlessly eccentric whereas esr was always creepy

well rms should have been taken more seriously, because he actually wrote things and had good ideas, like gcc and the gpl. esr just wrote a book filled with objectively false statements and cashed the gently caress in.

This is not to say he should still be at mit, dude shoulda been cast out long ago. But the fact that he's a piece of poo poo doesn't make the GPL a bad idea and it doesn't make emacs a bad editor (overreliance on key chording is what makes emacs a bad editor lol)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also that "eight megs and constantly swapping" thing

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Soricidus posted:

freedom from censorship does not mean freedom from consequences

its good but specifically trying to attack the argument that there's such a thing as "just an opinion" as if its somehow doesn't have ramifications in society.

its like the social equivalent of the frictionless-sphere-in-a-vacuum-on-an-infinite-plane assumptions in physics.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

jesus man get an av your posts are like fuckin wafer thin

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

(overreliance on key chording is what makes emacs a bad editor lol)

"oh boy... here we go again!! :razz: "

*trumpet sting, freeze frame*

SUPERIMPOSE: Executive Producer: James

YOSPOS is filmed in front of a dead studio audience

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i wonder if he's going to keep staying in his broom closet at mit, now that he's just some random gross dude squatting there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
gpl is horrible insofar as it comes wrapped in the ideology that demonizes any legal framework under which people who write software for the general public might get paid

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats fine though, the gpl doesn't require you to only offer the software under its terms and requires that if people don't want to keep it open source then they have to pay you

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Broken Machine posted:

i wonder if he's going to keep staying in his broom closet at mit, now that he's just some random gross dude squatting there

i honestly half-expect him to basically permanently relocate to some south american country

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

iirc he got that genius grant money decades ago and lives off the investment. this sounds believable to me because it's clear the guy doesn't care much for fine clothes, expensive toys, etc
or paying rent

https://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/1174080160242503681

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

gpl is horrible insofar as it comes wrapped in the ideology that demonizes any legal framework under which people who write software for the general public might get paid

the GPL is the only mainstream open source license that isn't just volunteer work for startups

If you want to sell software, sell software. GPL ain't stoppin' you. What's stopping you is all the other motherfuckers cloning your poo poo and giving it away free for any use at all.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

You should not write open source code at all. If you absolutely must, please license it under GPL3.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

I lifted my head from its grass pillow and eyed the bee as it crawled along the dark veins of my shaft, as if following a directional line like you get in a public hospital. I may have emitted a faint ‘hmm’ of intrigue, a natural reaction for I’d yet to see a fellow human, let alone flying insect, crawl along my penis.

It may have been the ‘hmm’ what spooked the bee. I have thought long and hard about this moment and, certainly, having reached the glans, the bee’s demeanour changed. Flaneur, enjoying a perambulation ’pon my johnson, instantly turned stinger. The cruellest metamorphosis. I remember distinctly the determined shudder of movement with which the bee planted its rear stinger, an insect twerk, within the soft purple flesh of my bell-end.

There was no moment of clarity, no flash of my sex life before my eyes — instead instant pain radiated like a gently caress tsunami from my very centre and across every nerve-end I possessed. Even my eyes, two of them, felt like they were burning. The bee died, its tiny form at one with my member. And my bollocks shrank as if in sympathy.

I am told that an off-duty bee keeper threw half a bottle of warm Dr Pepper across my privates, relieving the pain a little. A doctor was passing, as often they are at moments of disaster. He removed the spent bee from my penis with a pair of tweezers. Barely conscious, my head lolling, I was told to seek solace in paracetamol and to avoid masturbation for a good three days at the very least. It was this last piece of advice that saw my consciousness, in shock, break from the prison of pain. I thanked the good doctor and accepted the help of a bee-keeper, who assured me that she was female, in gingerly replacing my clothing. I tried not to look at the angry boil, reminiscent of a strawberry bubblegum bubble, that had already begun to swell upon my little chap’s purple crown.

Holy poo poo, this is inspired, dude.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

You should not write open source code at all. If you absolutely must, please license it under GPL3.

i like the creative commons (non-commercial) licenses, they're easy to navigate and chill. you just say how you want it shared and attributed and that's basically it

also bsd or 'free beer'

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
WTFPL is the answer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

the GPL is the only mainstream open source license that isn't just volunteer work for startups

If you want to sell software, sell software. GPL ain't stoppin' you. What's stopping you is all the other motherfuckers cloning your poo poo and giving it away free for any use at all.

don’t forget agpl if it’s likely to run on a server

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

rotor posted:

If I am going to release some dumb-rear end hobby code of mine online, I am going to do it with something like the Affero GPL3. This has many advantages:
- Nobody will use my product. This ensures that I never have to listen to whiny, entitled users.
- Corollary to the first point, nobody will file bug reports. Thus I can spend my free time relaxing, with no embarrassing public bugs to my name
- It will scare away all the ESR lolbertarian types. Good fuckin' riddance.
- However, using this license might actually attract the RMS creepers. No problem boss, all I gotta do then is just copy and paste a basic "don't be creepy" Code of Conduct from some other project. Boom, problem solved.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If I am going to release some dumb-rear end hobby code of mine online, I am going to do it with something like the Affero GPL3. This has many advantages:
- Nobody will use my product. This ensures that I never have to listen to whiny, entitled users.
- Corollary to the first point, nobody will file bug reports. Thus I can spend my free time relaxing, with no embarrassing public bugs to my name
- It will scare away all the ESR lolbertarian types. Good fuckin' riddance.
- However, using this license might actually attract the RMS creepers. No problem boss, all I gotta do then is just copy and paste a basic "don't be creepy" Code of Conduct from some other project. Boom, problem solved.

Just BSD it, nobody cares, it's just there, some kid might find it interesting. And do something cool. Or not.

e: You don't get to pick if the kid does something cool or not, that's what pissed me off about the GPL 20 years ago.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you are aware this is the funy computer forum right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hobbesmaster posted:

edit meta alt control shift

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you are aware this is the funy computer forum right

I bought you a new av!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Gazpacho posted:

i suspect that the linus takedown was influenced by vendor politics surrounding the rotten way he behaved during the spectre episode

i missed this background to the Linus thing, got any pointers to more? i didn’t pay much attention, thought that maybe he finally noticed how toxic he was on his own

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

otoh it sounds like Intel deserved it

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

i missed this background to the Linus thing, got any pointers to more? i didn’t pay much attention, thought that maybe he finally noticed how toxic he was on his own

The takeaway was Linus going "AGH! Any bug is a bug and security bugs are no important than anything else!" queue researchers figuring out how to pull what should have been secure data from parallel VMs.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

I’m just wondering if anybody cared for the man and his work. I do and basically owe my life to it, so I care for the man in his time of need.
I hope he understands and knows that I care.
Because I do and you should as well.
Even the iPhone has a free heart in Mach.
These idiot trolls must be stopped.

quote:

I don't know the man. I don't know what is in his heart. He doesn't need, nor hopefully want, my support. I know of his advocacy, and I've read what he said in email recently that got him into trouble. I dislike the culture we've built that requires we tear down any sort of heterodoxy, no matter how mild. But I also know I shouldn't engage in public conversation or written discussion about child rape of any kind. it is folly. So I ask you, Burton: What is your objective? If it is merely to support RMS personally, message him. By posting here, it seems more to be provocative online and I therefore must question your motives. Certainly you must have been able to expect the standard array of responses to such a post... so were you looking for any one in particular that you can engage in? I can formulate a few. I just don't think it's worth any more time.

quote:

I do not worship false idols but I am there for friends in need. Good luck on your search for humanism. I hope you are thrown into the fire someday to see how it feels.

quote:

How is it we value free speech, but there are certain discussions you just cannot have, even in a rational and measured way, without risking making yourself completely unemployable. You should be able to have a questionable viewpoint in a discussion, without worrying about the lynch mob ending your career.
The consequences here are out of line. You can be reprimanded to take your discussions to a non company venue, in a situation like this, but fired is over the top.
Stallman said “it is morally absurd to define ‘rape’ in a way that depends on minor details such as which country it was in or whether the victim was 18 years old or 17.”
It's pretty clear with the age difference being what it is, this is exactly what statutory rape laws are for. But it is also incongruous that somehow if she was a year older it would be ok. It's also hosed up that if Minsky were 19, the consequences would be the same. Maybe there's a better law to be had here, but how would we ever know if you can't even have the discussion?
I'm appalled by how free speech is under attack lately by the outrage machine.

there needs to be a database for people who defend pedophilia online

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Lain Iwakura posted:

christ yes

i was just thinking about this while walking. i mean at this point i'd certainly check the chudbase if making hiring decisions.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

its at https://www.lp.org OP

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i don't really remember the context around linus' sabbatical but at least the dude is just garden variety vociferous/abrasive. or at least i'm not aware of him bumping it up to chud factor five

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Hexyflexy posted:

Just BSD it, nobody cares, it's just there, some kid might find it interesting. And do something cool. Or not.

e: You don't get to pick if the kid does something cool or not, that's what pissed me off about the GPL 20 years ago.

i been thinking about this and if i ever wrote anything it'd be released under all rights reserved

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

This has been said before, but free speech is beyond just government censorship and has a wider definition. Regardless of that, the idea that someone's livelihood is under threat due to their speech can be just as coercive as threatening a fine or jail for their speech. The idea that government chilling is someone kinder than private chilling is wrong.

quote:

But my freedom of speech should trump your freedom to spin up angry Internet mobs that proceed to turn my words into lies that they use to rip my life apart.
Time will come there will be regulations aiming to fix that, because slander laws apparently aren't enough. And then people will come out and talk about freedom of speech, but the only answer will be, "you had it, and you misused it, and almost ripped the society apart".

:allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the only true free software license is the WTFPL

code:

DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
                   Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
  TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

are these PMs you're getting or someone itt's post history? :o

off to see if i can register chudba.se , someone please spin up the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

psiox posted:

i don't really remember the context around linus' sabbatical but at least the dude is just garden variety vociferous/abrasive. or at least i'm not aware of him bumping it up to chud factor five

famous last words lol