Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Eifert Posting posted:

There's a new one.

I wonder how plot centric she's gonna be.

Burned to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: #1180: +1

New party member? Interesting! :lol: at the end.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've enjoyed Minrah so far, and I think Rich realised that the Order could use another woman. Interested to see more from her!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not the dwarven cleric lady I was expecting to tag along originally, but after the whole shared exposition from Thor it makes sense.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Someone has to replace Belkar.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Someone has to replace Belkar.

Chaste heavy shoed cleric of Thor

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Android Blues posted:

I've enjoyed Minrah so far, and I think Rich realised that the Order could use another woman. Interested to see more from her!

Minrah is quite possibly the bravest person in the OotS universe. She had earned a place in Valhalla, with a drink upgrade coupon no less, but chose to forgo it to help Durkon 'n' friends. And, she knows about the Snarl, which means she made that decision knowing that if they fail, the Snarl will destroy her soul, which would have been safe in Valhalla.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Roy looks so odd..being all ...curvy in the last panel. He is usually standing like he has that sword sheathed up his rear end.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was about to post how a low level Cleric (Is Minrah still low level?) running around would leave her vulnerable to the sole vampire running around, but then I remembered that no one else has that "Accelerate Vampire Turning" spell, unless Not Durkon was able to teach it. Still seems unlikely that she would get vamped and infiltrate the party on the down low as the stinger.

Though...is it possible that the remaining vampire could disguise themself as Minrah? I realize I am reaching here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The last thing we saw of the other vampire was Hilgya noticing her smoke form. I don't think there's too much to worry about there.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

ultrafilter posted:

The last thing we saw of the other vampire was Hilgya noticing her smoke form. I don't think there's too much to worry about there.

From a logical standpoint, sure. But from a story standpoint, why would the author take the time to depict her getting away, and then have explicit discussion of the fact that she's gotten away? There has to be some reason, and "she's still a threat" seems like a big obvious one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like in the metagame of players who would theoretically be playing all of the characters, Minrah is a character sheet drawn up for Durkon's player while his normal character was out of order, but now she's being kept around because Belkar's player is thinking of swapping to something less irreverant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Belkar will never die.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Ponsonby Britt posted:

From a logical standpoint, sure. But from a story standpoint, why would the author take the time to depict her getting away, and then have explicit discussion of the fact that she's gotten away? There has to be some reason, and "she's still a threat" seems like a big obvious one.

I mean, "to explain why we're cutting to Hilgya dealing with her as part of Hilgya's character growth" seems like a good reason too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Eifert Posting posted:

Belkar will never die.

Belkar is obviously about to die of alcohol poisoning.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It might just be to keep Durkon's family busy rather than have to explain why they're not coming along to help with the main plot. Same as leaving Haley's dad with the resistance.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm happy to have Minrah around. She's been fun and she deserves to go out and help after all she's done.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Durkon just got the Leadership skill and Minrah is going to be his hench. Because what better hench to a pocket cleric then ANOTHER pocket cleric.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, Minrah's kinda boring. Like, even if you discount not having all these years of backstory and character development, she's a bland dwarf and we've already got one.

I still trust Rich to take it into an interesting direction, he's always come through with these things.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh, Minrah's kinda boring. Like, even if you discount not having all these years of backstory and character development, she's a bland dwarf and we've already got one.

I still trust Rich to take it into an interesting direction, he's always come through with these things.

She's still got her secret concern that Thor reassured her about, which might lead somewhere interesting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tripwood posted:

Durkon just got the Leadership skill and Minrah is going to be his hench. Because what better hench to a pocket cleric then ANOTHER pocket cleric.

Honestly Oots could use some min-maxing to give them a little extra something.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly Oots could use some min-maxing to give them a little extra something.

I'm still wryly amused that out of everyone in the party, Elan is the most optimized in terms of his build.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm still wryly amused that out of everyone in the party, Elan is the most optimized in terms of his build.

Durkon. This is still 3.5, Durkon could do the entire party's job on his own if he wasn't so humble. So could V, though they banned the strongest school

e: the only thing more optimized than straight wizard/cleric/druid/artificer/archivist (choose one) 20 levels is that base plus whatever full casting progression stuff you want. an early definition of "tier list" explains 3.5 it

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

If nothing else, she'll be a decent straight man. By being an outsider to the team she can highlight their relative strength... several Retrievers, 14 foot tall spider golems from hell with eye lasers, show up, she's worried, next panel is Elan finishing one off because they're actually pretty weak. It's the "party" slot filled by all those pirates in the last arc.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

Durkon. This is still 3.5, Durkon could do the entire party's job on his own if he wasn't so humble. So could V, though they banned the strongest school

e: the only thing more optimized than straight wizard/cleric/druid/artificer/archivist (choose one) 20 levels is that base plus whatever full casting progression stuff you want. an early definition of "tier list" explains 3.5 it

Y'know, we know almost nothing about Durkon's build. Seriously, we know only one of his feats.
Now, pure cleric is a fine build... But Durkon is playing it sub-optimally. Remember how he kick rear end when he casts Thor's might? He should do that more, instead of healing (according to charop, anyhow)

Mystic Mongol posted:

If nothing else, she'll be a decent straight man. By being an outsider to the team she can highlight their relative strength... several Retrievers, 14 foot tall spider golems from hell with eye lasers, show up, she's worried, next panel is Elan finishing one off because they're actually pretty weak. It's the "party" slot filled by all those pirates in the last arc.

...She's not a straight man by any means. Showcasing the party's power, sure - but that ain't being the straight man. It's about personality, and she...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mister Olympus posted:

I just love that Truenamers are ranked below Commoners.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Roy looks so odd..being all ...curvy in the last panel.

heh heh roy has great cleavage

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

I just love that Truenamers are ranked below Commoners.

In any other scenario, "a school of wizards who learn spells so complicated that no human is physically able to cast them" would be an excellent setpiece

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Are Truenamers the class that was so badly designed that they get less powerful as they gain levels?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

Are Truenamers the class that was so badly designed that they get less powerful as they gain levels?

Yup. They in fact can be made to work if you use stupid bullshit like item familiars to get titanic bonuses to their skill rolls, but they're not amazing even then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Where do shadowcasters fall on that tier list? I didn't see them listed on the summarized version, and the link to the original post the guy was summarizing from no longer works. I always thought they had a neat concept to them, but going off the fact that they appear to the only one of the three classes from Tome of Magic that was left off the list entirely, I'm not exactly optimistic.

DoctorTristan posted:

In order for the Truenamer to use any of their unique spells, they have to make a skill check with their special class skill to speak the truename of the target. The DCs for the skill check were calculated as follows:
  • To speak a creature's truename aloud, you must succeed on a Truespeak check with a DC equal to 15 + (2x the creature's Challenge Rating). If you're saying the truename of a PC, the DC is 15 + (2x the PC's Hit Dice). When you're speaking a creature's personal truename, the DC increases by 2 because those truenames are more linguistically complex.
  • To speak a magic object's truename aloud, the Truespeak DC is 15 + (2x the item's caster level).
  • To speak a nonmagical object's truename aloud is a DC 25 Truespeak check.
The Truespeak skill was Int-based, trained only, and you can never take 10 or 20 on any Truespeak checks.

So basically, the problem was that the skill check to use your powers scaled up to absurdly high DCs, making it nearly impossible to use your powers depending on what you were fighting.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You'd think if you had a creatures 'personal truename' (as opposed to what precisely? Their business true name? Their stage name? Their Brand-sona?) it would be easier to use not harder.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the check was both to know what the truename was to start with and also to actually pronounce it correctly. Also, every time you used a spell the truename DC increased by an additional 2 or something. It was supposed to thematically represent how repeating a truename was exhausting to the mind, but in gameplay terms meant you could only use a given spell once or twice before it became almost impossible, since they were so drat hard to begin with. And since only one of two of the spells were worth a drat you could easily exhaust your ability pool in only a single fight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

reignofevil posted:

You'd think if you had a creatures 'personal truename' (as opposed to what precisely? Their business true name? Their stage name? Their Brand-sona?) it would be easier to use not harder.

Personal truenames are more linguistically complex than "normal" truenames. It's the difference between targeting "the dwarf" and targeting "Durkon Thundershield, Cleric of Thor, son of Sigdi and father of Kudzu." It's harder to use Truespeak to do the latter, but the benefit is that it increase the DC for the target to save against your spell by 2, and gives you a +2 bonus to any rolls you make to overcome spell resistance.

Still not remotely worth the effort.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Where do shadowcasters fall on that tier list? I didn't see them listed on the summarized version, and the link to the original post the guy was summarizing from no longer works. I always thought they had a neat concept to them, but going off the fact that they appear to the only one of the three classes from Tome of Magic that was left off the list entirely, I'm not exactly optimistic.

I don't think every single base class ever was actually listed there. I imagine shadowcasters are probably either high tier 4 or low tier 3? Effects comparable to Warlock, probably the definition of tier 3, but more limited use and with less splatbook support.

e: double checking tome of magic they get a lot more than I remembered, so definite tier 3 territory. probably even high up there approaching tier 2, given access to shadow evocation, dominate-type things, save or dies, scrying, etc etc. But if sorcerer defines tier 2, shadowcaster still can't quite compete with all the possible permutations of tools a sorcerer can have.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 17, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

W.T. Fits posted:

• To speak a magic object's truename aloud, the Truespeak DC is 15 + (2x the item's caster level).
  • To speak a nonmagical object's truename aloud is a DC 25 Truespeak check.

If you want to affect an object, first hire some level 1 NPC wizard to enchant the item for you. Enchantment doesn't have to be useful, it's just to make the Truespeak DC be 17 instead of 25.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gun Jam posted:

She's not a straight man by any means. Showcasing the party's power, sure - but that ain't being the straight man. It's about personality, and she...

That is not at all the link I was expecting.

Nor is it the definition of "straight man" that I was assuming.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

reignofevil posted:

As opposed to their title or colloquial nickname. LORD HELLHAMMER, SCOURGE OF THE NORTH probably wasn't born that. But knowing that he was given the name of Kelmon Megirsson would give you power over him.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
True name magic has a long history in real world cultures as well as some mention in the Earthsea books and a bit in the Kingkiller series (where its one of like 15 magic systems) but its surprisingly rare in modern fantasy media. Probably because its hard to do mechanically in a video game/rpg and its not very showy for visual mediums like a fireball or mind control spell or something.

I like the idea of naming magic from an ancient society standpoint where language is more primitive than what we have now. Knowing the names of things allows people to better mentally identify, remember, and understand them. If you have a random car or gun or something in a movie, a person who is knowledgable will be able to immediately identify and recall the type later, as well as knowing if its a historical anachronism, or other relevant info. A layperson would just see and recall “a truck” or “a pistol”.

Returning to ancient times, this type of knowledge would be extremely useful when interacting with things like plants and animals in the natural world. A rat snake and a cottonmouth are both black snakes, only one of them is venomous however. If most people only have the word “snake” but you know the names of the species of snakes that is a very real type of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kadath posted:

True name magic has a long history in real world cultures as well as some mention in the Earthsea books and a bit in the Kingkiller series (where its one of like 15 magic systems) but its surprisingly rare in modern fantasy media. Probably because its hard to do mechanically in a video game/rpg and its not very showy for visual mediums like a fireball or mind control spell or something.

The old World of Darkness setting had mummies with access to varies schools of ancient Egyptian magic, one of which involved true names. The strongest spell of that particular school of magic involved you straight up erasing someone from existence by forcing reality itself to forget their true name.