Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was a bit rude to come in and get drinks, but saying you can't cover a shift on a day you weren't scheduled because you had plans to hang out with friends already is a perfectly valid reason to not cover a shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It was a bit rude to come in and get drinks, but saying you can't cover a shift on a day you weren't scheduled because you had plans to hang out with friends already is a perfectly valid reason to not cover a shift.

Yeah, “I don’t want to work my second job on a day I wasn’t scheduled to work” is actually a perfectly fine reason. Coming into the establishment to drink is thoughtless, but saying no to another shift is always ok.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Our scheduling is indeed a nightmare. Sat down with the owner over breakfast and consequences lie ahead. Also he made the weekend worth the trouble, which always feels good. Finally getting a decent night’s sleep worked wonders too. Sorry to have poo poo up the thread over it.
I dont think anyone was saying not to post, they're just trying to make you aware that asking you to work this hard isnt a reasonable expectation of you no matter how hard the owner works (which you seem to have acted on!)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If there have already been problems with the employees in question wrt to their attendance and work performance, pulling a stunt like that is absolutely enough to start talking about whether or not they get to keep working there imo

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

From my experience in other industries, nice bosses are also very averse to confrontation. They give far more work to and rely on the employees who don't object.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Yeah, “I don’t want to work my second job on a day I wasn’t scheduled to work” is actually a perfectly fine reason. Coming into the establishment to drink is thoughtless, but saying no to another shift is always ok.

Pro tip: don’t go in on your day off if you’re not willing to pick up an apron for a half turn.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Pro tip: don’t go in on your day off if you’re not willing to pick up an apron for a half turn.

Pretty much.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
ESPECIALLY when you know you are short staffed and were asked to come in.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This has reminded me a coworker I had who got super seriously pissed off that the service he got after his shift was subpar. Yelling at a manager mad. If you want good service during busy times, go somewhere else. None of your co-workers want to deal with your poo poo. You know how busy it gets, and priority isn't on you. IMHO you'll be lucky if you don't have to go get your food yourself once it's made.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Why the hell would anyone go where they work for any reason other than work?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Republicans posted:

Why the hell would anyone go where they work for any reason other than work?

I get 35% off and it's the nearest restaurant to my house.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The last thing I ever wanted to do when working in food service was eat the same food I came home smelling like every day. gently caress the discount.

What was cool though is the place next door gave discounts to us too (noncompeting restaurant - their customers usually came over to us for dessert after). I wish I'd worked there instead of where I worked.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

When I worked at a steak house for years, I never not wanted to eat the steaks from that place. The fried appetizers became a hard pass though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've been able to be somewhat choosy and with one exception all of my industry jobs have been places I've wanted to spend downtime at.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I ate shift meals or whatever there sure, but I never once so much as dreamt of going to my restaurant on my day off, discount or no

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I very often had post shift drinks or food at the restaurant I spent the last two years being the chef at (or our sister restaurant) or would go in with partners/friends on days off, because that place is loving awesome. I don't make it in as often as I should anymore because I'm not downtown as often, but every time I am, I make sure to stop by. Because that place is awesome. What I'm saying is, if your place is awesome you do want to be there off the clock sometimes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's more common among FoH to go to your own restaurant because you usually don't spend as much time working there and you're probably friends with whoever is serving you.

I will reiterate it's a dick move to go to your restaurant when you know they're shorthanded and you said you couldn't cover a shift, but I also don't think it's a fireable offense. Assuming they're showing up for the shifts they're actually scheduled for and competent when they're working you're just shooting yourself in the foot at a place that already has scheduling issues.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I think it's more common among FoH to go to your own restaurant because you usually don't spend as much time working there and you're probably friends with whoever is serving you.

I will reiterate it's a dick move to go to your restaurant when you know they're shorthanded and you said you couldn't cover a shift, but I also don't think it's a fireable offense. Assuming they're showing up for the shifts they're actually scheduled for and competent when they're working you're just shooting yourself in the foot at a place that already has scheduling issues.

They already said it's a pattern with those servers though.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WHAT

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like someone mixed up their beef stock recipe with a summoning spell for shoggoths.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

oh rad just throw on the ash catcher and move the charcoal to one side and

*reads again carefully*

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Something something bone charcoal dessert special?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lol

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Elephant foot stock, I think? Heading in now, chef is gonna just be an absolute peach today...

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
lol holy poo poo that's super hosed

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Is that actually charcoal orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bits of the aggro crag?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Serious answer, that is a pot of beef bones and probly veg that was put on the stove full blast over night, but they never added liquid to the pot

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

even better, it boiled off, unless the pot was dirty

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rugikiki posted:

Elephant foot stock, I think? Heading in now, chef is gonna just be an absolute peach today...

Soolnds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lit1KQw1y6g

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

It had water, current theory is a knob got bumped while the range was getting wiped down. It smelled terrible all day. On the plus side the cast iron on that burner is so loving clean now!

E: That’s the current official theory, I know who closed and almost certainly threw it on and forgot to check it after his shifties butttttttt we’re gonna let t slide I guess?

Rugikiki fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 18, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Thoughts and prayers to your dishwasher.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
is it still going on the stove

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Rugikiki posted:

On the plus side the cast iron on that burner is so loving clean now!

Huh, cleanse with fire is not a deep cleaning method I had considered.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raikiri posted:

Huh, cleanse with fire is not a deep cleaning method I had considered.

Best way to clean grills and cast iron burners. 2-3 layers of tinfoil over your grill, turn that fucker on high for about 20 minutes. Everything will smoke, everything will burn. Turn it off, let it cool a bit, hit it with the grill brush, have a perfectly clean grill.

Note: Do not do this if you haven't been keeping up with regular cleaning on your grill, because if there is a pool of grease underneath it, it'll 100% light on fire and melt all of your wiring.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Naelyan posted:

Best way to clean grills and cast iron burners. 2-3 layers of tinfoil over your grill, turn that fucker on high for about 20 minutes. Everything will smoke, everything will burn. Turn it off, let it cool a bit, hit it with the grill brush, have a perfectly clean grill.

Note: Do not do this if you haven't been keeping up with regular cleaning on your grill, because if there is a pool of grease underneath it, it'll 100% light on fire and melt all of your wiring.

I'd heard to do this with a baking sheet, but tinfoil makes a lot more sense as far as not ruining your baking sheets.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Naelyan posted:

We're pretty good with cleaning, grill, burners etc. scrubbed every morning. But I'll do that tomorrow, as we don't have a KP until the PM, sounds way less hassle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

I've had jobs where I've realized I've been covering at least one shift every week for a couple months in a row and it both fucks up your ability to plan anything and makes you reluctant to even make plans (because I might get called in) and as a mental health thing I've said to myself "look, no matter what, I'm not covering any extra shifts this month." Given the OP working 10 days in a row so the owner can get a single weekend off when they're normally there every day of the week it sounds like scheduling is a complete poo poo show, so possibly some of the other employees were feeling that too.

I feel for you Oldsrocket, you're a nice person for taking all of that on yourself, but don't expect others to be willing to take the same burdens as you.

Especially servers, we are mercenary as gently caress.

Yeah, nothing wrong with protecting your day off, but at least have the decency to not rub it in on the guy working his rear end off by coming by for drinks.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Thoughts and prayers to your dishwasher.

There’s one slag we saved as a reminder, I think it was a handle once?

Our banquet manager actually found it this morning, I almost told her to throw some water in there ASAP but I’m not really feeling a manslaughter charge...

E: Frankly it’s a good thing I didn’t find it, I’d have started with paper towel and kept throwing poo poo in there to see what bursts into flames until I accidentally summoned....I dunno, feels like Slaanesh’s domain?

Rugikiki fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'd heard to do this with a baking sheet, but tinfoil makes a lot more sense as far as not ruining your baking sheets.

We just have one blackened, warped-to-poo poo baking sheet just for this purpose.