Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

a fatguy bald spot posted:

child of destiny is too rare imo, Ive never seen it

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I've never seen it happen to me but in one of my games it happened in England and in Muslim Iberia.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the intent behind it is that it's meant to be a dynamic version of the Seljuk/Timur events, something that can replicate what they do but in a less predictable fashion. So it kind of has to be rare enough that it will only fire once for everyone in the whole world, and of course there's no guarantee that they will actually have any success when they go conquering (much like how Seljuk/Timur themselves can fall flat on their faces), so it's one of those things where it can happen and you end up not even noticing it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a child of destiny once. He was my nephew and luckily I could pick my heir and commit suicide, so I went for it.

There's no warning for it if it's not your kid. I only noticed his stats and multipliers when I happened to see him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Doing a Rothschild run for AoE. Things are going good, but i'm unsure how I convert Brooklyn and other counties to Orthodox. My court rabbi has a very poor chance of making the conversion. Is there some other way?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

Doing a Rothschild run for AoE. Things are going good, but i'm unsure how I convert Brooklyn and other counties to Orthodox. My court rabbi has a very poor chance of making the conversion. Is there some other way?

it's going to be super tough. orthodox is a very minor faith, added to the base mod as a submod and then added in the fan fork main branch because the guy who wrote the submod is the creator of the fan fork. so, it's in there as a challenge run

the problem is your moral authority is super low, and nobody wants to be part of a chump religion. you need to raise it, by having orthodox holy sites under the control of orthodox rulers. so, as lazar rothschild you need to be the grand mayor of the gotham republican duchy, which it sounds like you are. check the intrigue screen - can you build the new yeshiva in brooklyn? after that, you should see an event to seat a grand rebbe and this should pump up your moral authority to where people will start to find your religion attractive. also check for nearby holy sites - there are five for orthodox:

-manhattan
-brooklyn
-washington
-charleston
-palm beach

you already have manhattan and brooklyn. washington will be tough because you will have to fight all the americanists for it, and you don't have a good cb for this. charleston is more distant but might be grabbable if the HCC schisms, try to park a trade post there. palm beach is the furthest but might be the easiest get as the caribbean implodes quickly and regularly, plus if it's still a merchant republic in miami you can just fight to gank the trade post

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

luxury handset posted:

it's going to be super tough. orthodox is a very minor faith, added to the base mod as a submod and then added in the fan fork main branch because the guy who wrote the submod is the creator of the fan fork. so, it's in there as a challenge run

the problem is your moral authority is super low, and nobody wants to be part of a chump religion. you need to raise it, by having orthodox holy sites under the control of orthodox rulers. so, as lazar rothschild you need to be the grand mayor of the gotham republican duchy, which it sounds like you are. check the intrigue screen - can you build the new yeshiva in brooklyn? after that, you should see an event to seat a grand rebbe and this should pump up your moral authority to where people will start to find your religion attractive. also check for nearby holy sites - there are five for orthodox:

-manhattan
-brooklyn
-washington
-charleston
-palm beach

you already have manhattan and brooklyn. washington will be tough because you will have to fight all the americanists for it, and you don't have a good cb for this. charleston is more distant but might be grabbable if the HCC schisms, try to park a trade post there. palm beach is the furthest but might be the easiest get as the caribbean implodes quickly and regularly, plus if it's still a merchant republic in miami you can just fight to gank the trade post

Unfortunately, I can't build the New Yeshiva in Brooklyn because it's not Orthodox. That's why I wanted to know if there was a way to get it converted.

EDIT: Nvm, My rabbi just schmoozed the Torah into them! Now I just need to save up the piety.

EDIT2: And he died of Slow fever as he did it, what a trooper!

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 15, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

uhhhh why are there anti Semitic dog whistles in after the end

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

a fatguy bald spot posted:

uhhhh why are there anti Semitic dog whistles in after the end

????

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I've never played ATE but I'd also like to know what you're referring to.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The inclusion of the Rothschilds - who feature prominently in a lot of antisemitic conspiracy theories - is what the poster is objecting to, I imagine.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2019

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
But they're a real family. Why wouldn't they be there?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the guy who added them into the game is jewish or at least claims to be jewish on the internet. the jewish submod for ATE was the first mod he wrote. so you'd have to take it up with him

the rothschild family is one of the five families of the new york republic. the other families are batman references, including bruce wayne who has a hardcoded event for his parents to be murdered, then he gets the nickname "the Bat". it's not a very serious mod

SirPhoebos posted:

Unfortunately, I can't build the New Yeshiva in Brooklyn because it's not Orthodox. That's why I wanted to know if there was a way to get it converted.

EDIT: Nvm, My rabbi just schmoozed the Torah into them! Now I just need to save up the piety.

EDIT2: And he died of Slow fever as he did it, what a trooper!

yeah, when your moral authority is low and you're trying to convert you just have to park a high skill priest on the county and wait for it to flip

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 15, 2019

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

luxury handset posted:

the other families are batman references, including bruce wayne who has a hardcoded event for his parents to be murdered, then he gets the nickname "the Bat".

Lol that owns

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The original After the End didn't have Judaism as a religion, since it's a very minor religion with no sizable areas in the US with a Jewish majority, so if you're going to add it in, you're gonna have to get creative, and it turns out anti-semitic conspiracy theories provide a neat jumping off point for what an America with a Jewish majority would be like.

It's a little sad how After the End portrays an America where the religious tolerance baked into the country's conception has died. There isn't any religion that has the Jizya, is there?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's, uh, a lot of references in after the end. the subreddit is full of people constantly petitioning to have marvel extended universe characters added and the mod author going "no, we are not going to have the norse vikings worship Tony Stark"

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

After the End needs some more occultist flavor poo poo. Like borrowing money from the deep ones in exchange for your dynasty being cursed to become fish people like Shadow Over Innsmouth.

+10 Same Trait
-20 General Opinion
+10 Combat Skill

That sort of poo poo.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the empire of brittannia in my roman empire game has developed into an interesting elective monarchy where power is passed between the noble families of irish, norwegians, and saxons rather peacefully, it's a drat shame i'll destroy that when i invade

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Does the demon child event fire if you don't have Satanists on? Or is it just super rare regardless.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Does the demon child event fire if you don't have Satanists on? Or is it just super rare regardless.

It predates M&M so I would assume having satanists off still allows it to fire; they just won't end up being made the head of the (nonexistent) satanist cult. It is a quite rare event although I usually see it in playthroughs if they run long enough.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Orthodox New York game is proceding nicely. But one thing concerns me: I've been following the thread advice of murdering the other Patrician families. But even though I've converted Manhattan and a bunch of other counties, the new Patrician families are still Americanist (who've been getting decimated, in part thanks to me.)

Is that just something that's hardcoded into New York? Or will new families switch over at some point?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
iirc you have to convert the families over, or over time when one family dies out another will spawn with the religion of the capital county. although i'm pretty sure the most important factor is if an americanist family dies, an americanist family will replace them. but having heretical families is actually very useful for you, as you can press their claims in counties where they have trade posts, then revoke their newly stolen cities away using religious revocation

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
welp, my paul mahonic "the butcher" just slew his own wife in single combat to become a hero of the warrior order

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

By the way, when I say my game is going pretty well, here's what I mean (It's 2751):

Aside from my Empire, the Dellsmen converted to Orthodox. While I was fighting the Holy War for Carolina, the Ursuline's launch a Crusade for a chunk of the Dellsmen. I'm able to win a Holy War against the Confederacy, sail my troops and mercs up north, and push back the Ursuline Crusade, all while keeping my cash reserve above 7K.

FAKE EDIT: I tried to transliterate "New Israel" for my custom name but I probably messed it up.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

luxury handset posted:

welp, my paul mahonic "the butcher" just slew his own wife in single combat to become a hero of the warrior order

I did that twice, then they asked me to duel my heir and I knew what the bastards were up to.

Edit: So in my quest to become the Saoshayant, I started as the Karen satrapy (forget which duchy) in the 800s. I used my event troops to swiftly gain control of enough territory to form the kingdom of Daylam, then before the Sunnis could retake the land, I swore fealty to the Abbasids and falsely converted to Islam. I then quickly became that vassal, absorbing neighboring counties until I could form kingdom titles, then the caliph would happily transfer de jure vassals to me. I quickly expanded to be about 40% of his empire, and had all the land I needed to create the Persian empire once I became independent. All this time, I was also running the secret religious cult, the Loyal Magi, inducting people into Zoroastrianism. I also lucked out with China having a love of Iranian culture, and was able to accrue 5000 grace by the time I was ready to make Persian. I called on China to shatter the Abbasids, and they did so with ease, granting me independence and allowing me to form Persia. Irritatingly, though, when the AI is the head of a religious cult, they'll pick the worst possible time to openly adopt the faith. I was screwed out of my genius heir inheriting thanks to switching from Iqta to Feudal, and only two of my vassals converted to Zoroastrianism. I was able to salvage things, though, through careful use of religious title revocation, intimidating faction members, and jailings, until the only Muslim vassal I had was a merchant republic, which I can't revoke for some reason. I'll just have to ensure all their heirs are educated to be Zoroastrian.

Oh, then the Seljuks decide to invade. 60k Turks against 30k Persians. I was cussing up a storm as I chased down split stacks and desperately used the mountains to my advantage. Thankfully I had saved up a lot of gold for mercenaries, which arrived in the nick of time to repel their doomstacks. Eat poo poo Seljuk!

I still have a few duchies to go before I can become the Sayoshayant, but with the Seljuk invasion out of the way and my vassals all loving me... things are looking very very good, at least until the Mongols show up in 1300...

Sucks about the AI not asking the player's opinion on openly adopting the secret faith if it was a player character that founded the cult in the first place.

Edit x2: There are currently 4 major powers in Europe and Asia minor. Francia controls their de jure and most of Italy, the Shia caliph controls northern Africa and some of Iberia, the Byzantines are somehow still intact despite the powerful Khazars to their north, and then there's me with Persia and Arabia, poised to expand westward Funnily enough, the Sunni caliph was a secret Zoroastrian when the faith because openly adopted, destroying the caliphate title.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 16, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What are some general tips on playing a tribal government? I want to play as either (AtE) Norse or Gaian once I'm ready to move on from my current game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ABR. Always be raising. Avoid raiding temples held by your own religion if you care about it maintaining it's moral authority. Tribals also do best with provinces with lots of empty holding slots. They increase the size of your levies, boats, and taxes. Tribal troops are weak but numerous, and with high martial and troop training marshals you can get loads of troops. Buildings cost prestige, so raid a lot. You get 1 prestige for each gold you bring in via raids. You can only raid your direct neighbors or territories adjacent to waters you have boats parked in. Bear in mind, most cultures have to pay full maintenance cost for raised boats, except for Norse, Yankee, and a few others.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

What are some general tips on playing a tribal government? I want to play as either (AtE) Norse or Gaian once I'm ready to move on from my current game.

play norse, gaian tribals are kinda lame because the fun gaians get monastic feudalism. and the great lakes thunderdome is always active with lots going on, moreso than the north pacific

as said above, just raid a ton and subjugate your neighbors. prestige is as important of a currency as gold. you're going to be locked to gavelkind until you reform, so keep that in mind when it comes time to die. you will have big troop numbers but most of your troops will be trash light infantry. tribal vassals are not like feudal vassals, you cannot tax them or raise their levies, and you have to ask them to come to war with you like an ally.

eventually your goal is to reform to feudalism or a merchant republic, keep in mind that when you reform it will upgrade all of the tribes in your demense so make sure you've got all the pre-castle buildings that you want before you reform. reforming will also trash your levies for a time and piss off all your vassals. it's best to reform when you have an organized religion so if you're unorganized pagan, aim to organize first or shortly after you reform - or plan to convert to some other organized religion

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Even the worst people in the world can have happy pets.

I'm just imagining how the meetings must go with the cat, dog, and owl all about as a angel blessed lunatic rambles. Not to mention the two unholy impregnated children just for the hell of it.

E: Oh god I'm pretty sure one is the real spawn. This will be fun.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 17, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You'd think after the first time I made my heir also the court tutor, I'd know better.

And yet:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SirPhoebos posted:

You'd think after the first time I made my heir also the court tutor, I'd know better.

And yet:

At least it likely means he gave them ambitious, which is always cool for your heir to have.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it's not that bad to have a bunch of scheming rival kids as a merchant republic. sure you might get stabbed every once in a while but as long as you are keeping the other families pruned to ensure a smooth transfer of power within your dynasty then it's more of a "come at the king" moment. you're just ensuring the fittest dynast rules

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I'm playing my first real Byzantine run, but have Bulgarian culture spreading to the point that Constantinople is now no longer Greek :ohdear: My understanding is that if I assign my heir to a gregarious, trustworthy member of the the court who is Greek, they'll likely switch back. Is there a way to change my character back to Greek as well in a decent amount of time?

Also, I'm on the cusp of reuniting the Roman Empire, which will change me over to Roman culture anyway, right?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well I just died.

EDIT: Another advantage of having your heir be a rival I'm discovering is that everyone wants you to get in on their plot to murder him :v:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 18, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I keep on meaning to ask this but forgetting, but now that it's relevant... anyway, when playing a Sagrado Corazon character, is there a way to switch your cult? I couldn't seem to figure it out last time I played, but it was a while ago. I should give AtE another run. I wanna lucha libre my way across North America.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SirPhoebos posted:

And yet:

For a dynasty called "Red Shield" that shield isn't quite red enough.

Looked up the actual Rothschild coat of arms and it's really busy

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FreudianSlippers posted:

Looked up the actual Rothschild coat of arms and it's really busy

The great thing about coats of arms is there's supposed to be actual terminology and jargon to describe them perfectly. I bet this one's at least 3 paragraphs.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Pretty much:

quote:

Crest

Crests: 1st, out of a ducal coronet Or a mullet of six points Or between two horns per fess alternately Or and Sable, Sable and Or; 2nd, issuant from a ducal coronet Or an eagle displayed Sable; 3rd, out of a ducal coronet Or three ostrich feathers, the centre one Argent and the exterior ones Azure

Escutcheon

Quarterly: 1st, Or an eagle displayed Sable langued Gules; 2nd, Azure issuing from the sinister flank an arm embowed proper grasping five arrows points downward Argent; 3rd, Azure issuing from the dexter flank an arm embowed proper grasping five arrows points downward Argent; 4th, Or a Lion rampant Gules; over all an escutcheon Gules charged with an oval target with pointed center Argent per bend sinister

Supporters

Dexter: a lion rampant Or langued Gules
Sinister: a unicorn Argent langued Gules

Motto

Concordia, Integritas, Industria (Latin for "Harmony, Integrity, Industry")

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The default shield is actually plain red. Had I known that's what the name means I would have left it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just use the Americanist Freemason sign for their arms.