Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Minorkos posted:

I believe the dota goon community has largely died off or splintered into smaller, isolated groups. Contrary to what you might think, goons aren't really much nicer than the people you find in solo queue so you aren't missing much. I've personally ruined many games for those who dare invite me to a game

I remember the last time I played with goons I went blink refresher Medusa and everyone unfriended me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I used to play with random goons and it was toxic as gently caress but still fun for me

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hi thread, this was fun to listen to at work because it's Purge getting mad at Slacks for doing idiot stuff and Slacks eventually giving up on trying to be smarter than Purge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvacVav_xRs

edit: The real bummer is that it seems that I know more than Slacks but I'm worse at dota so that's totally fine :smithicide:

Minorkos posted:

I believe the dota goon community has largely died off or splintered into smaller, isolated groups. Contrary to what you might think, goons aren't really much nicer than the people you find in solo queue so you aren't missing much. I've personally ruined many games for those who dare invite me to a game
This... was also my experience. If I'm playing dota (which is a shameful number of times per week) it's solo queue and if I'm bad (I'm not great) I don't have to care about my posting credibility :buddy:

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 11, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I remember the last time I played with goons I went blink refresher Medusa and everyone unfriended me

can't imagine why.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

scuz posted:

Hi thread, this was fun to listen to at work because it's Purge getting mad at Slacks for doing idiot stuff and Slacks eventually giving up on trying to be smarter than Purge.

He's got an item hotkey bound to $ for Midas. I love him.

Also his others were like P - = and N.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

P-N!$

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember when someone created a goon group specifically for casual play and no raging allowed and within a month it was shut down to drama. It seems to be unavoidable!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I quickly gave up playing with goons.

Skill spread was way, way too big. So we awful players ended up anywhere from unintended feeders being raged at to being middle of the pack because the more skilled players were too drunk and/or high to function. Learn nothing, get yelled at lots, or even hear uproarious laughter followed by "has disconnected / has abandoned the match".

I also long ago stopped accepting friends requests from randos met in matches. Some of those guys were one bad game away from full-tilt rage, or were playing on smurf accounts and would rage anyway when they were intentionally playing with a lowered-MMR account :downs:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's always funny when someone smurfs into your 3-4k shitter match, goes like 20/0, but then feeds a few times because they farmed kills instead of ending the game and now the enemy team just has to kill one person to win a team fight cuz whoops the whole enemy team got caught up from those feeds, while yours is probably even behind from Pro Arc Warden Smurf farming the whole map

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

It's always funny when someone smurfs into your 3-4k shitter match, goes like 20/0, but then feeds a few times because they farmed kills instead of ending the game and now the enemy team just has to kill one person to win a team fight cuz whoops the whole enemy team got caught up from those feeds, while yours is probably even behind from Pro Arc Warden Smurf farming the whole map

Lol this is legit as hell

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

It's really fun to be that guy.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.

Andrigaar posted:

I quickly gave up playing with goons.

Skill spread was way, way too big. So we awful players ended up anywhere from unintended feeders being raged at to being middle of the pack because the more skilled players were too drunk and/or high to function. Learn nothing, get yelled at lots, or even hear uproarious laughter followed by "has disconnected / has abandoned the match".

I also long ago stopped accepting friends requests from randos met in matches. Some of those guys were one bad game away from full-tilt rage, or were playing on smurf accounts and would rage anyway when they were intentionally playing with a lowered-MMR account :downs:

How do I as a new player play with other new players? I haven't hit my 100 games as ranked is not unlocked for me yet. It seems like most games I'm so far behind everyone I'm playing with, and get an occasional rager all over me the entire game about a mistake I've made. I just want to play the game, have fun while getting better, and not have someone freak out and say nasty things to me for half an hour.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Play bots until you stomp with your chosen heroes/lanes, watch Purge's videos

Mute everyone, play your placement games.

There are bad players who have been playing for a while, they're still bad but they have being bad experience so they will rage at you.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

hahayup posted:

How do I as a new player play with other new players? I haven't hit my 100 games as ranked is not unlocked for me yet. It seems like most games I'm so far behind everyone I'm playing with, and get an occasional rager all over me the entire game about a mistake I've made. I just want to play the game, have fun while getting better, and not have someone freak out and say nasty things to me for half an hour.

The new player experience sucks and is filled with smurf accounts, just mute all chat and play your own game. People who get mad about your mistakes overlook their own play and never try to improve themselves or communicate with their team about what they wanna do. I still get lots of hard support Pudges in my ranked games whining about no wards when I'm playing 4pos trying to support all three lanes.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
lol i decided i was just going to play bot matches for a few weeks bc my last hitting has been poo poo for the entirety of my ~5 years playing the game. turns out bot matches are way more fun than playing with real people.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

jarlywarly posted:

Play bots until you stomp with your chosen heroes/lanes, watch Purge's videos

Mute everyone, play your placement games.

There are bad players who have been playing for a while, they're still bad but they have being bad experience so they will rage at you.

I’d recommend BSJ over Purge for learning

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
BSJ has a bunch of coaching lessons uploaded on his youtube, usually separated by the player's MMR, role and experience and he gives different guidance for everyone. It's pretty specific to that player's playstyle but can apply to everyone. Purge is still better for starting off with since he covers the new player experience, he was training Day9 to play Dota from scratch in one of his tutorial series. Also you can play a support 4 or 5 position so you don't need to focus on last hitting as much, pick a support hero with team fight potential and wave clear like CM/KotL/SShaman

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Whenever I queue for ranked and pick my role choices I always get assigned the highest choice I have ticked. If I have Support/Offlane/etc chosen I will get assigned Support in 10 games out of 10.

I don't mind support but I'd really like some variation without having to queue exclusively for a single role each time..

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

It's really fun to be that guy.

It's the whole point of the game. Like camping the respawn with a machine gun in day of defeat, or wedging the car in the respawn in halo. Or putting pipes and mirvs in the respawn in tfc

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darox posted:

Whenever I queue for ranked and pick my role choices I always get assigned the highest choice I have ticked. If I have Support/Offlane/etc chosen I will get assigned Support in 10 games out of 10.

I don't mind support but I'd really like some variation without having to queue exclusively for a single role each time..

That's because nobody likes to play support, but everybody likes to win.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Darox posted:

This is a natural and obvious byproduct of this system. Hard 5 is the least populous role.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man I really hate the support/core queue split.

queueing as core takes forever but queueing support means depending on people who can't outsmart a lemon.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Cuntellectual posted:

Man I really hate the support/core queue split.

queueing as core takes forever but queueing support means depending on people who can't outsmart a lemon.

You know what's better than winning? The smug sense of satisfaction from knowing you played right all game :smaug:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

DisgracelandUSA posted:

You know what's better than winning? The smug sense of satisfaction from knowing you played right all game :smaug:

How would you know that feeling

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

DisgracelandUSA posted:

My core trio was Drow Treant and Skywrath the other day, I was mainlining that :smaug: from 0:00

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

How would you know that feeling

I only play support and my mmr is 1200 don't @ me

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The problem with the support role is that valve doesn't really want to make the role fun. I believe the last time the role was fun was back in the summer of 2014 when you could bully all lanes into submission with a position 5 skywrath or something, then quickly push to end the game by 25 minutes. If you did your job well, you would immediately reap the rewards by never even entering the phase where carries become useful and supports become useless. Obviously, if things went wrong, you'd be sent into this hellish nightmare existence of the "lategame" where you can't do anything but watch other people farm for 20 minutes and then get whomped to death by an errant juggernaut crit, but those were the breaks. Either way that was the only time in Dota history that I actually looked forward to playing support.

After TI4, valve decided that something like that must never happen again because it's bad for esports watchers, and carries became the focus of Dota 2. On top of all the changes that made games last longer, comeback gold was introduced, which meant that carries and semi-carries became incredibly strong and supports became basically dogshit. Since you could no longer control and contain the economy with good support play, and carries started to get gold by simply showing up to fights after being blown the gently caress out in lane, supporting felt a little pointless. Valve's response to this was letting supports scale into lategame a little more, alongside other support-friendly mechanics like stacking gold, tomes of experience and so on. Supports essentially became more like weaker cores, no longer stronger early, no longer weaker late, but weaker altogether than actual cores. It also didn't help that carries started to get more interesting and powerful abilities. If valve wants to add a new powerful ability and they don't know how to balance it, they just give it to a hard carry so you can't abuse it too much, like Morphling getting his new ultimate. So essentially you can either play Shadow Demon, whose job is limited to saving people with Q and sometimes slowing people with R, or you can play Terrorblade or Phantom Lancer who can kill the entire enemy team under the right circumstances, or Morphling to do MLG gamer poo poo, or Juggernaut to kill 4 people with a single button and so on.

So in the end, no one wants to play a support because it's just like playing a core except you don't get that sweet dopamine release from killing creeps or heroes, instead your job is just to get bullied by other players on both teams and then buy wards and stack and poo poo, which just isn't very fun. But that's just a theory, a game theory

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I only play support and my mmr is 1200 don't @ me

Nothing you do is right then :buddy:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Nothing you do is right then :buddy:

I'm having fun :unsmith:

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Minorkos posted:

The problem with the support role is that valve doesn't really want to make the role fun. I believe the last time the role was fun was back in the summer of 2014 when you could bully all lanes into submission with a position 5 skywrath or something, then quickly push to end the game by 25 minutes. If you did your job well, you would immediately reap the rewards by never even entering the phase where carries become useful and supports become useless. Obviously, if things went wrong, you'd be sent into this hellish nightmare existence of the "lategame" where you can't do anything but watch other people farm for 20 minutes and then get whomped to death by an errant juggernaut crit, but those were the breaks. Either way that was the only time in Dota history that I actually looked forward to playing support.

After TI4, valve decided that something like that must never happen again because it's bad for esports watchers, and carries became the focus of Dota 2. On top of all the changes that made games last longer, comeback gold was introduced, which meant that carries and semi-carries became incredibly strong and supports became basically dogshit. Since you could no longer control and contain the economy with good support play, and carries started to get gold by simply showing up to fights after being blown the gently caress out in lane, supporting felt a little pointless. Valve's response to this was letting supports scale into lategame a little more, alongside other support-friendly mechanics like stacking gold, tomes of experience and so on. Supports essentially became more like weaker cores, no longer stronger early, no longer weaker late, but weaker altogether than actual cores. It also didn't help that carries started to get more interesting and powerful abilities. If valve wants to add a new powerful ability and they don't know how to balance it, they just give it to a hard carry so you can't abuse it too much, like Morphling getting his new ultimate. So essentially you can either play Shadow Demon, whose job is limited to saving people with Q and sometimes slowing people with R, or you can play Terrorblade or Phantom Lancer who can kill the entire enemy team under the right circumstances, or Morphling to do MLG gamer poo poo, or Juggernaut to kill 4 people with a single button and so on.

So in the end, no one wants to play a support because it's just like playing a core except you don't get that sweet dopamine release from killing creeps or heroes, instead your job is just to get bullied by other players on both teams and then buy wards and stack and poo poo, which just isn't very fun. But that's just a theory, a game theory

I think you're mostly right but supporting was definitely fun in early-ish 7.00 when they added the talents, more passive gold, bounties, and extra jungle creeps so you could roam, farm, and level easily, you'd have a force/ghost/cape by like 15:00 so you could survive and move around in fights easily. They've been gradually changing/nerfing all of that to the point where early game kills don't mean much and the only way you're hitting 6 by minute 10 is if you leech a bunch of XP in lane.

But your SD example is on point. If you play Rhasta, lategame you're a blink hex and a zoning ult. If you play Lion, once they get BKB you're a blink hex. If you play Oracle, you're a purge and an OK save. 5s are supposed to really sacrifice and thus don't have diversity in play styles, and 4s can't find much in the way of levels and farm overall. OG's supports in the grand final games that they won were Grim/Tiny 2X and Abba/Tiny the last game, only reliant on a couple abilities to help set up fights.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm having fun :unsmith:

then you're doing it WRONG in the voice of the big red butt guy from cow and chicken

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I wish they made bounties give XP again. That owned really hard for supports.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Matchmaking update is out.

Gaben posted:

This update includes a few different ban waves for bad actors. The first ban wave is to players with exceptionally low behavior scores. We will continue to do regular ban waves for users who fall into this small percentage of the community. Users that reach this low level of behavior in the game are too big of a tax on the rest of the community and are not wanted. The second case where users will be banned today is for anyone detected of violating the Steam Service Agreement that prevents the purchase or sale of Steam accounts. Buying accounts to get a higher or lower rank is not allowed and causes negative side effects for the play experience of others. This doesn’t catch all account sales that happen, but we think we have caught enough to take some action. We are also banning players who’ve been detected using exploits to gain an advantage over other players. In the coming weeks, we will be refining the detection algorithms for these abusive behaviors and will begin issuing weekly bans that will go into effect without advance notice to violating accounts. Accounts that we ban will now also have the associated phone number permanently blacklisted from being able to have access to ranked matchmaking.

Who caught a ban itt?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

:laffo: lot of upset 15 year olds on steam forums and reddit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

schmitty9800 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 18, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I seriously hope the MM update works. I'm mid-high divine right now and keep getting stuck with ancient and sometimes even legend people on cores. I don't need five second queues that badly, valve.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Last few games as a crusader 7 inching towards archon (1880 MMR) I was getting teams of crusaders against enemy team of archons and legends. Wonder if the recalibration will actually do anything for me as a support this time around, I've been sitting in the trench for years playing on SEA

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If there's one thing League does right it's making supports able to have fun. The 5-role in Dota exists almost solely because there's not enough resources on the map to give gold to all heroes, meanwhile wards still cost gold so what little you do get absolutely has to go towards those otherwise you're objectively playing the game wrong. Valve seems like they've done everything they can think of to make the 5-role as boring and unfun as possible while also making it an absolute necessity, since now your team's four position is going to get a Midas and is an Ogre Magi.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Eh, it's not that bad, wards are 50g and most supports have a 90g/min talent at 10

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If there's one thing League does right it's making supports able to have fun. The 5-role in Dota exists almost solely because there's not enough resources on the map to give gold to all heroes, meanwhile wards still cost gold so what little you do get absolutely has to go towards those otherwise you're objectively playing the game wrong. Valve seems like they've done everything they can think of to make the 5-role as boring and unfun as possible while also making it an absolute necessity, since now your team's four position is going to get a Midas and is an Ogre Magi.

I mean, I main 4 and 5 and I don't agree with that.

If you're ever not aggressively fighting, making stacks, or moving to aggressively fight or make stacks, you've done something really wrong.

Meanwhile when I played League most of what supports did was sit in bushes and stun the enemy jungler when he came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yea, the resource scarcity is more interesting than everyone having items that give you gold for random reasons and free regen in the jungle.

That being said, I'm very curious how they'll incentivize that position.