Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

Tell that to the guy that to the untrained guy one of them flung out of the ring.

Dusty, is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's...not how mace works.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dusty, is that you?

Yeah, I don't know what happened there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And that's why I threw your ring outta your ring!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

That's...not how mace works.

I haven't been maced in a while but it was definitely a stream of terrible poo poo into my eyes and nose.

Personally, I prefer good old fashioned tear gas. It takes the fight out of the lookie lous so you can focus on the real shitheads.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What I mean is, would you have been just fine if it had hit your chin instead of your eyes?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Halloween Jack posted:

What I mean is, would you have been just fine if it had hit your chin instead of your eyes?

No, absolutely not

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you get it in your mouth, which is usually just above your chin, it can cause the tongue, cheeks, and throat to swell up, just as it does the eyes and nasal cavities.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That would probably explain why the two were screaming bloody murder during the segment.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Halloween Jack posted:

Low Desert Punk posted:

No, absolutely not

1000x this, not even goddamned close to fine

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s designed to hurt.

ITS DESIGNED TO HURT.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I need to know what jackass greenlit using actual mace then doubled down on it when called out.
Was this a constant policy in WCW?
Wait that would mean...
Did Meng no-sell getting maced for real?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wrestlers and people involved with wrestling were loving morons obsessed with their image as actual tough guys especially pre-2000s and had to make everything as awful as humanly possible for themselves

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For instance I always just assumed ether rags were completely gimmicked but no according to Cornette they always used real ether so the crowd could smell it and you had to be careful not to clamp down on a guy’s mouth/nose because it would actually make people pass out by accident sometimes

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I need to know what jackass greenlit using actual mace then doubled down on it when called out.
Was this a constant policy in WCW?
Wait that would mean...

This is the same company that wanted Bret Hart to drive a monster truck over a car containing a real person, and had Sting flying down from the rafters on a harness thing not long after Owen died, in the same arena.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is the same company that wanted Bret Hart to drive a monster truck over a car containing a real person, and had Sting flying down from the rafters on a harness thing not long after Owen died, in the same arena.

I thought they had Kanyon did a bump eerily similar to Owen's death in the arena he died. Or is that a separate different thing that WCW insensitively hosed up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought they had Kanyon did a bump eerily similar to Owen's death in the arena he died. Or is that a separate different thing that WCW insensitively hosed up.

Whatever the worst answer is, assume that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I mean, Sting was doing his harness thing safely (because it was actually done properly) for ages before WWF had Owen do it unsafely.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
They had the Kanyon triple cage spot with "Owen voice" announcing in Kemper Arena just under a year after Owen died. Sting and Vampiro had a match on that card, but no one ziplined.

The following month in Baltimore Sting and Vampiro had a rematch that involved Sting ziplining to the ring, though it was more like the Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania XII entrance than the Blue Blazer/1997 Sting vertical drop.

Anything inoffensive from the opening is of course countered by the actual match, in which Vampiro dumped gasoline all over Sting, fought him to the top of the Turnertron, magically conjures lightning to set Sting/a stunt double on fire, then shoves his burning body off the top of the stage as the announcers pull out the "this wasn't part of the show, this is a tragedy" voices again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sting coming from the rafters after Owen never bothered me because WCW did it safely and did it to make Sting look cool while the WWF did it dangerously and to humiliate Owen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

they booked Mike Awesome to throw Kanyon off the top of a roofed cage into a part of the entrance ramp that was gimmicked and actually a crash pad

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Sting coming from the rafters after Owen never bothered me because WCW did it safely and did it to make Sting look cool while the WWF did it dangerously and to humiliate Owen.
I think they also waited several months before doing it again, too, though if I recall at the time I was still like, "hrm. Maybe too soon."

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Aesop Poprock posted:

For instance I always just assumed ether rags were completely gimmicked but no according to Cornette they always used real ether so the crowd could smell it and you had to be careful not to clamp down on a guy’s mouth/nose because it would actually make people pass out by accident sometimes

jesus christ lol

that reminds me of a short film i acted in in college. the scene i was doing called for me to pour a glass of whiskey and drink it in three very big sips. since we were in college and loving stupid, we used some ~70 proof honey whiskey and i did all three sips within like 5 minutes, then shot my lines, got through them before i started slurring too much, then fell asleep on their couch.

we could've just used apple juice and no one in the world would be able to tell

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Isn't some poo poo like that how Goldberg almost lost his arm smashing up the limo? Lost or didn't have the pipe he was supposed to use and decided to just hit the windows bare handed?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Kanyon bump not only took place in the same arena as Owen's accident, but it was on Owen's birthday too. As said though, it was probably as safe as it could have been and I think it was (hopefully) just an awful coincidence. Wherever and whenever that show took place Kanyon was probably always going to do that spot, because he's Chris Kanyon.

I actually remember the commentary being quite delightfully hammy at that moment, with Scott Hudson proclaiming "OH I HOPE RUSSO AND BISCHOFF ARE SATISFIED NOW!!!" amongst other things. That said, the same cannot be said for the human torch match, where Mark Madden more or less says "I wanted to see someone get set on fire, not die."

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

That would probably explain why the two were screaming bloody murder during the segment.

I bought this book because of that story. Thanks, Gavok.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheKingslayer posted:

Isn't some poo poo like that how Goldberg almost lost his arm smashing up the limo? Lost or didn't have the pipe he was supposed to use and decided to just hit the windows bare handed?

He originally had a length of pipe in his sleeve that he was supposed to use to smash the window so it would look like he did it with just his hands. It fell out after he smashed the first two window, so he decided to just use his forearm for the third and a piece of glass sliced through an artery, spraying blood everywhere as he pounded on the hood of the limo. He was out for about six months after that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Punch McLightning posted:

I bought this book because of that story. Thanks, Gavok.

ita not really a good book and it's pretty clear that Bischoff is trying to whitewash his role

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't doubt that but my real question was...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't doubt that but my real question was...

if you do cocaine first, its not so bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Kanyon bump not only took place in the same arena as Owen's accident, but it was on Owen's birthday too. As said though, it was probably as safe as it could have been and I think it was (hopefully) just an awful coincidence. Wherever and whenever that show took place Kanyon was probably always going to do that spot, because he's Chris Kanyon.
He actually practiced the bump, which is crazy to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Meng eats noses, I could see him being immune to mace.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Was it meng or barbarian who once threatened to eat someone's rear end? I think he was trying to say "eat your lunch" but luckily fate intervened and gave us something much better.

I also can't remember if this happened before or after stevie ray referred to them as "2 fish eating chumps from gilligans island" whatever the actual gently caress that means.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you're stuck for 7 years on a habitable island with COCONUT RADIOS and poo poo, you're real fuckin dumb.

seriously, watch Gilligan's Island, they could leave that motherfucker anytime they wanted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And how did the Harlem Globetrotters escape and why didn't they take Gilligan and the rest with them?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

ita not really a good book and it's pretty clear that Bischoff is trying to whitewash his role

Bischoff is always trying to whitewash his role. Everyone interviewed in the book tries to act like they're in the right. It just becomes a big pile of he said/they said and you get an idea not to take Bischoff on his word every time.

"Eric gave everyone so much money."
"Bischoff was always overspending."
"Bischoff was handing out money left and right."
"If you wanted more money, he'd gladly give it to you."
"WHAT? NO! I did no such thing!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

if you do cocaine first, its not so bad.

Lol like he'd need it

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

coconono posted:

if you're stuck for 7 years on a habitable island with COCONUT RADIOS and poo poo, you're real fuckin dumb.

seriously, watch Gilligan's Island, they could leave that motherfucker anytime they wanted.

It's hard to escape an island inhabited by the Devil!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Numero6 posted:

It's hard to escape an island inhabited by the Devil!

oh that's right, Kissinger did a few cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

An Actual Bear posted:

Was it meng or barbarian who once threatened to eat someone's rear end? I think he was trying to say "eat your lunch" but luckily fate intervened and gave us something much better.

I also can't remember if this happened before or after stevie ray referred to them as "2 fish eating chumps from gilligans island" whatever the actual gently caress that means.

This makes me beg the question, what was Stevie Ray worse at: commentating or wrestling? Take your time over this one.