Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

It really is amazing how much the narrative of "America is a positive actor on the world stage" relies on deliberate suppression of the historical record or even ongoing atrocities.
Yeah, you can't constantly criticize European colonialism and behavior with Africa to feel smugly superior if you don't selectively ignore your own history. You wouldn't loving believe how loving stupidly insufferable American students were regarding my own country insanely bloody colonial history :france: (while ignoring their country's own active one), just because they believed electing ONE black president made them a post-racial country. :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Love 2 create an African slave state as the first black president and win the Nobel Peace Prize

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone have the episode/clip where the Chapos meet some 4chan nazis who say they're non-aesthetic males who like brutalist architecture, and do an ableism on Matt?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Halloween Jack posted:

I suppose my internal definition of a tankie is anyone who thinks you're not a real leftist if you don't support the Chinese Communist Party, the DPRK, and/or Assad.

lots of those people do real-world work. in fact they're doing most of it as workers in union shops or as full-time organizers. as someone else said, stop reading that pyf thread or any of its brethren.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Halloween Jack posted:

I just oppose armed US intervention anywhere under any circumstances, for the same reason I oppose unsupervised children playing with guns anywhere under any circumstances. If that makes me a tankie, I'm cool with it.

this category is limited and excludes covert operations, economic war, the enforcement of the dollar regime and any action taken by us "partners" on behalf of their paymasters.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does anyone have the episode/clip where the Chapos meet some 4chan nazis who say they're non-aesthetic males who like brutalist architecture, and do an ableism on Matt?

Its the cpac episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e94GD1i8Z5U

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Thanks. I still wonder what ableism they said to Matt

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Jewel Repetition posted:

Thanks. I still wonder what ableism they said to Matt

Probably called him an umkempt oaf.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

if im not mistaken the peshmerga are distinct from the ypg aren't they, so it's not quite accurate to say "the ypg" abandoned the yazidis. the 2 guests seem to be arguing that the ypg disarmed the assyrian/yazidi populace (it was the peshmerga) to allow isis into that territory, then fled, then came back once the yazidis were on the mountain, so the ypg would then look like heroes for rescuing them all? seems a bit conspiracist idk.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

hello fellow stalin-episode listener
That poo poo was THREE hours long and I don't believe they even mentioned Steven Kotkin's biography of the guy once!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess I should recommend something good instead of just being a hater. The episode of Swampside Chats on Mike Davis's "Old Gods, New Enigmas" (https://soundcloud.com/swampsidechats/100-old-gods-new-enigmas) got me to read the book for once, and both are worth your time if you're into looking at historical political struggles in a new light. The main chapter of the book explores the numerous class struggles in Europe from 1848-1921 as a continuously evolving movement of movements, and distills some lessons for future revolutionaries from them.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That poo poo was THREE hours long and I don't believe they even mentioned Steven Kotkin's biography of the guy once!

it was fine

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grevling posted:

Probably called him an umkempt oaf.

That's less ableism and more anti-Midwestern racism.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It could have been related to this:

Big, Round Marxist Boy Matt Christman posted:

Amber, my co-host, her theory for me is that the real thing that kind of guaranteed that I would become a Leftist as opposed to a logic guy, or an alt-right guy, or a Libertarian – which, when I look at my cultural preferences and the stuff that I like and my attitude, it’s kind of stunning I didn’t….Between my high school years and my college, I owned, either separately or all at once, a sword, a fedora, well, not a fedora, a Hamburg with a little feather in it, a trench coat, a Goodfellas poster on my wall, the Edward Hopper “Nighthawks” poster because I was existential, and a shirt that I loving ordered online, early internet, a black shirt with white print that said some people are only alive because it’s against the law to kill them. And I look at that and I’m like “why am I not a cryptocurrency guy right now?” And Amber’s theory is that it’s because when I was in my senior year of high school, my dad died when I was a junior, and the next year, senior year, I was halfway through the first semester, I was gonna be in the play, “The Taming of the Shrew,” and I got back pain. My mom sent me to a chiropractor, he was like banging around back there, and I had a heating pad on for a month I just had this persistent back pain. But then one day, in December or early January, I woke up and one of my legs was just weak. I was limping. I made an appointment for a doctor but then when I woke up the next morning, I couldn’t move at all. Neither of my legs…they wouldn’t do anything. I had to go to the doctor and in Manitowoc they were kinda like [shrugging noise]. And then somebody in Sheyboygan had another idea, and then they ended up taking me to Milwaukee. And they said I had a lesion on my spinal cord…they had to do a spinal tap and MRIs and stuff. They went in and got it, and it was an abcess. The reason they didn’t know that’s what it was at first is that you’re not supposed to have that unless you have a really compromised immune system. And I did not.

There’s like a hundred cases of this happening without anything else. And most of those people die, because they do this wait and see thing. I had to be infused with antibiotics for a month, I had a PICC in my arms. After the surgery, I was in the hospital for a month, doing really intense rehab. I left the hospital in a wheelchair and then I spent the next four/five months rehabbing to be able to stand and walk. And I went from having braces on both of my legs to just one, and I went from a wheelchair to the braces, to crutches, to a cane, within six months. Had to do a bunch of horrible, really grody stuff to my body. And at the end of it, I kind of hit a plateau where I now have a limp, still, because I have something called Browns-Sequard syndrome, which is where the damage to your spine affects two halves differently. So my right leg is normal in terms of strength but it’s completely numb all the time, like it’s asleep. And then my left leg is very weak, and I drag it. It’s been that way since this happened.Amber’s theory is you see white males who are committed Leftists, and if they’re serious about it, there’s something that happened that gave them a sense of real vulnerability. They don’t take for granted their position anymore. I never thought about it that way. It was never a conscious thing. But when I look at my interests and my milieu, I think that theory is kind of persuasive. I just kind of laid low and felt vulnerable.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Are the regular Qanonymous episodes 2 to 6 locked in the patreon? I can not seem to find them.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Are the regular Qanonymous episodes 2 to 6 locked in the patreon? I can not seem to find them.

I always assumed they were deleted as an old shame because episode 7 is when Travis View joins. But there are links to them in the discord.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/npb3wcdg823wl4p/AACYOGWhR-6whTNIQbrvV3Mea?dl=0

"They confused people" is the explanation given so they're probably just bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grevling posted:

I always assumed they were deleted as an old shame because episode 7 is when Travis View joins. But there are links to them in the discord.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/npb3wcdg823wl4p/AACYOGWhR-6whTNIQbrvV3Mea?dl=0

"They confused people" is the explanation given so they're probably just bad.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://jacobinmag.com/2019/09/andrew-yang-universal-basic-income-ubi-betty-friedan-feminine-mystique

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Amber doing a dignity of work thing. Horseshoed

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Citations Needed episode on Nate Bronze has been released! https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1174334974859853829?s=20

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Good topic but it features the fake british accent guy. Tough call

Serf
May 5, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Amber doing a dignity of work thing. Horseshoed

not really. her point is that ubi doesn't solve women's problems much in the same way that being a "kept" woman didn't

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Serf posted:

not really. her point is that ubi doesn't solve women's problems much in the same way that being a "kept" woman didn't

I'd go further and say that it doesn't solve anyone's problem, and we know that because the dynamics of suburban 50s america led to a generation of broken housewives. Ergo, UBI alone would lead to a generation of broken people, because while the material needs are taken care of, we still live in an atomized neoliberal hellworld. I think her focus is more on the importance of belonging to a community rather than the moral benefits or whatever of having a job. Although jobs of course, can provide that sense of community, that itself is in tension with the overall framework of capitalism

It's a p decent article imo. I enjoyed it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A workplace is also a site for class-conscious organization in ways that a Minecraft server is definitely not.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"material needs are taken care of" presumes your rent, education and healthcare expenses won't all go up by $1000 each in Yangtopia

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

"material needs are taken care of" presumes your rent, education and healthcare expenses won't all go up by $1000 each in Yangtopia

She addresses that early in the article but goes on to say

Amber posted:

Nonetheless, my interest here is not to argue that UBI is unworkable (it is), and that it lies to us with a bait-and-switch false promise of security (it does); I am arguing that even if it was feasible and offered security exactly the way Silicon Valley says it will, UBI is not desirable. We know this, because we already tried it.

Then she goes on to the rest of the article

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my plan in case of neetbux is to become a vagabond on a bicycle and I'm convinced that it's the only viable plan that wouldn't get eaten by rent

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

I'm extremely sympathetic to the core argument here but this article doesn't really address the stifling sexism and utterly sterile culture of the mid century suburbs undergirding the subjectivity of those affluent housewives. There's a hint of vulgar Marxism here; an attempt to reduce the alienation of the suburban housewife and the anomie of the millenial NEET to a common denominator of material privilege.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
housewives actually did have to work though. hence the wages for housework movement, social reproduction theory, all of that stuff

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

housewives actually did have to work though. hence the wages for housework movement, social reproduction theory, all of that stuff

Yeah, she sort of touches on that, but it's really the fatal flaw of her argument. Her housewife condition is somehow both that of a powerless unconditional UBI recipient and of a laborer negotiating power. It's totally contradictory.

At best, she was trying to call out tradwives and Yang Gangers at the same time, but extended to arguing against bourgeois feminism without doing enough to highlight the ideology underlying all of them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Helsing posted:

to reduce [ ... ] to a common denominator of material privilege.

that's so amber

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sleeptalker posted:

Yeah, she sort of touches on that, but it's really the fatal flaw of her argument. Her housewife condition is somehow both that of a powerless unconditional UBI recipient and of a laborer negotiating power. It's totally contradictory.

At best, she was trying to call out tradwives and Yang Gangers at the same time, but extended to arguing against bourgeois feminism without doing enough to highlight the ideology underlying all of them.

My take is to develop the argument farther and say that its not work/no work but rather a functional community and actual input in your condition? I tend to think UBI (a good one not Yang's bullshit) is a better idea from a welfare-state perspective but the actual goal isn't just welfare but worker democracy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doc Hawkins posted:

that's so amber

Can't believe she had a good and interesting idea that's also not quite developed and overly materialistic where whether or not you like it is dependent on how much you dislike the people she's mad at

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
felix's bidenlander ftw

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
my wife, she. my wife was beautiful, ok? in those days, girls in the scottish highlands, they didn’t wash up. this one did.

the reason - the reason i’m out here. i want the quickening to happen. i want to live like a mortal, ok? i want to quicken…your kids, learning. inside these schools, ok? i’m going to fight the kurgan. for you.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

My take is to develop the argument farther and say that its not work/no work but rather a functional community and actual input in your condition? I tend to think UBI (a good one not Yang's bullshit) is a better idea from a welfare-state perspective but the actual goal isn't just welfare but worker democracy

Sounds like a good direction to me. Having control over your labor includes not being forced to labor, so welfare seems like an important component, but it won't withstand capitalist exploitation and drive worker control just by itself. It can be a foundation for further political action.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
universal basic services are where it's at

Serf
May 5, 2011

why gloss over the part where she talks about how the alienation of a housewife from her domestic labor is the same as everyone would feel from their own domestic labor under ubi

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
a "progressive" UBI would be a lot like a pre-dual income era housewife, the government would give you an allowance while it went off to work plundering the global south, then eventually he gets mad (crisis of capitalism) and murders you (fascism)😘

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

my wife, she. my wife was beautiful, ok? in those days, girls in the scottish highlands, they didn’t wash up. this one did.

the reason - the reason i’m out here. i want the quickening to happen. i want to live like a mortal, ok? i want to quicken…your kids, learning. inside these schools, ok? i’m going to fight the kurgan. for you.

Highlander Biden is one of those classic Felix bits that have been rare since he started the Twitch channel