Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Can we get an effort post on typography and what makes something good or bad? I’m legit curious because I see the new logo and I’m not horribly offended or hyped. It’s just...text. :shrug:

not going to go into a huge detail on theory because my design theory is weak but:

• the arms on the L and E are too short(compare the width of those to the width of the G)
  • the serifs on the A, N and L make no sense. this is a geometric font if the giant perfectly circular G and O are any indication, so why throw serifs in the mix?
  • the serif on the A makes the A appear the shortest character of the font for no particular reason
  • the Es have slanted arms in the middle. why? this seems very arbitrary
  • the E and G slant do not even match up. they are angled differently.
  • the letter L with its serifs on top and bottom are very large, but the width of the character is tiny so the design is muddy

someone with more design experience than me doing odd side jobs for extra money can probably speak to more mistakes, but here is the crux of the issue. this font makes no sense. all of the decisions are completely arbitrary, designed to make the font less generic... yet none of these decisions add up to anything cohesive. if riot adds any more glyphs to this font it is going to be an absolute nightmare, and common words you can imagine would look like total crap(think of the word “QUEEN” for example) because the serif usage follows no logical pattern

E: obviously this was done to make “LEAGUE” and “LEGEND” align, with no real thought to what happens next.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 18, 2019

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Prefacing this post by stating that I am a Certified Dumbass who does not know poo poo about graphic design, but the thing on the bottom of the G looks really bad and keeps pulling my eye to it since it's dead center and also why is it way easier to see than the one on the U that i literally did not notice until typing this post just now

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

George H.W. oval office posted:

Can we get an effort post on typography and what makes something good or bad? I’m legit curious because I see the new logo and I’m not horribly offended or hyped. It’s just...text. :shrug:

Pog already pointed a bunch of stuff, let me see:

The shade in the slanted arms of the E make it a different angle from the G. This is something I noticed and had to check to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me because of how bad it looks:

There are 10 characters and 4 different serif types. This is incredible because the serif on the L and N are measured with relation to the inner bevel, the one that makes the font look like a golden coin. The final result is a sans serif font coupled with 3 serif sizes. The silhouette of that font is a complete nightmare.

Pog mentioned Q being a potential nightmare, and that's because the Q can only look "decent" using a serif angle which is just :psyduck:. I made a mockup of how a Q looks like without using the serif angle for your viewing displeasure:

There are three sets of characters that match width in a font that is not monospaced but it is designed around like it is. Specifically, LEAGUEof and LEGENDS need to match, as do LEAGUE and LEGEND. The character widths are perfect fractions (L and E are 2/3 of the max size) which means they're all segregated into different groups of monospaced fonts. The above logo would (if you removed the serifs) "work" if you were designing a brand for some sparkling water called Le Ŕque or something.

The serif angle is not part of the uniform slant which means that L, which should have been designed with a uniform angle in mind, loses momentum. The slant on the bottom arm would make sense: Imagine if the E was slanted at the bottom (matching the A). Instead you have the L and the A's flow being cut by the E, while the E, for the sole reason of copying the original logo, has that slant in it. The U is just flat, because why not? To compare the slants with an actually thought-out logo, first let's see a generic (but still cohesive) font, say, like the template this site offers:

This is a font designed to be generic. It actually, funnily enough, makes me think of the new logo. Anyway, let's compare it with a bad logo. One you'd want to modernize:

There are so many things wrong with this, but you should be able to point some of them by now. They're not 100% incoherent, but they're not particularly great. So once you hire someone to fix your font/logo, which can be super expensive (although not for Riot, but the going rates for people specialized in typography can range from the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands per font, and I wouldn't be surprised if that number reached millions for graphic design agencies dealing with high profile clients). For a real case scenario, we can take a look at Ray Larabie, who has released countless free fonts and you can see his work in the logos of Grand Theft Auto or Mass Effect. You have free fonts, paid fonts (affordable by anyone), and custom fonts. The price ranges look something like 0, $10-$100, and then $10,000 - $100,000+. Ray is a very prolific typographer and you've likely seen his fonts everywhere, not just GTA or ME.

Now I don't know who worked on the LoL font, but point is: that thing needed fixing, and fixing fonts can be expensive, but at some point it was done, and thus we had the original modernized version of the logo:

The immediate thing you'll notice is that there are three Es. The bottom arm of EA slants with the A; the EN slants with the N, and that E is also used on the final E of LEAGUE so that the angle matches the curve of the S. Finally, EG has its own angle as well, to match the G. It's normal for custom logo fonts (or even really, really good free fonts) to have custom 2 and 3 letter combinations as well as a single letter variant. That logo also fixes the varying serif sizes from the original (which we're back to...), and there's no awkward slant in the middle arm of the E because that doesn't make sense in any version: It's like someone wanted to add a diagonal somewhere but was told not to do it to the bottom so to avoid the original logo problem.

Either way, you can see how the original LoL font has been reworked in a way that made it just better. And then there's the new new font that is just :psyduck:. I tried to cover what pog didn't but there are so, so, so many things wrong with this font that at this point it's easier just to say "everything". So essentially:

quote:

all of the decisions are completely arbitrary, designed to make the font less generic... yet none of these decisions add up to anything cohesive.

Anyway hope that was enough of an effort post to sate your curiosity.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 18, 2019

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
everybody will lose their mind for 24 hours and then forget about it.

just like every other time the logo changed

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know why you would get so upset over a logo anyways.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

no one is upset, they are just saying it's a bad logo.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The closest an in-game decision got to making me mad is when they reworked Zyra, even TT being deleted feels like a relief.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The attempted forced change to the mouse cursor was something worth throwing a fit over though if you've been playing league since the start

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have been playing since Beta and I like the modern triangular cursor more than the warcraft 3-era sword pointer.

Now if only they would change the camera angle slightly so it's easier to not accidentally click a thing that's in front of the thing you're tryna click that'd be great.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Logo chat is just like in game chat. Fifty percent babbling about how anyone talking about it is "u mad," and the people talking about it going out of their way to show they're perfectly calm, Dude.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Mordekaiser rework (the one where he got single lane xp even in a duo lane) is the only thing that has ever made me mad about league, and it was only because it was just so aggressively, incredibly stupid, and because they did it right before worlds and basically ruined the meta completely for that tournament.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

Mordekaiser rework (the one where he got single lane xp even in a duo lane) is the only thing that has ever made me mad about league, and it was only because it was just so aggressively, incredibly stupid, and because they did it right before worlds and basically ruined the meta completely for that tournament.

Completely agreed. It absolutely sucked rear end for competitive integrity, and it directly led to them swinging too far in the opposite direction in 2017, resulting in the Ardent meta. They've thankfully learned their lesson about large-scale class reworks since then.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
competitive integrity is just a silly buzzword at this point. they have to leave the game alone at some point and let the players just play and figure things out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Lol I totally forgot Morde was reworked before this rework. That rework was so rear end he was basically only viable for 1 patch and that was the release patch when he was overtuned as gently caress. New morde seems less reliant on gimmicky poo poo so I think he will be played and will have a decent playerbase.
For next patch man why they gotta buff the boring poo poo just when I started grinding rank. Orianna/Cassio/Veigar/TF buffs next patch...I guess its time to bring back the Syndra again. I wish they buffed one of the poke mages like Velkoz or Xerath, those champs counter this picks so much but they are so weak in other areas they are not even worth as hard counter picks.

Also I forgot how loving annoying it is to play vs a talon and kat player, they literally can't last hit to save their lives, permaroaming, walk over 20 wards but your team can't react to pings and have 0 map awareness so they still give them free double kills. At least Talon players try to lane vs you but Kat players are the worst.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

Logo chat is just like in game chat. Fifty percent babbling about how anyone talking about it is "u mad," and the people talking about it going out of their way to show they're perfectly calm, Dude.

the second half of this isn't even close to true

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ulio posted:

Lol I totally forgot Morde was reworked before this rework. That rework was so rear end he was basically only viable for 1 patch and that was the release patch when he was overtuned as gently caress. New morde seems less reliant on gimmicky poo poo so I think he will be played and will have a decent playerbase.
For next patch man why they gotta buff the boring poo poo just when I started grinding rank. Orianna/Cassio/Veigar/TF buffs next patch...I guess its time to bring back the Syndra again. I wish they buffed one of the poke mages like Velkoz or Xerath, those champs counter this picks so much but they are so weak in other areas they are not even worth as hard counter picks.

Also I forgot how loving annoying it is to play vs a talon and kat player, they literally can't last hit to save their lives, permaroaming, walk over 20 wards but your team can't react to pings and have 0 map awareness so they still give them free double kills. At least Talon players try to lane vs you but Kat players are the worst.

have you tried playing mid lane as it is rather than like, honourable mage duel

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if the enemy mid is roaming over a million wards that means you can see them and literally safely follow them so i dont entirely blame your teammates to dying on a gank

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

d0grent posted:

the second half of this isn't even close to true

Of course not. You're perfectly calm Dude.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

smug above-it-all posting about how everyone in the thread is doing this except for I, who is instead extremely smart and cool, is way more obnoxious than anything anyone said about the logo imo but maybe im just Mad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

do you just sit in the middle of mid farming caster minions when the enemy roams

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

smug above-it-all posting about how everyone in the thread is doing this except for I, who is instead extremely smart and cool, is way more obnoxious than anything anyone said about the logo imo but maybe im just Mad

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

do you just sit in the middle of mid farming caster minions when the enemy roams

Hm so just to clarify this without going too in depth. Most of the times when I ping an enemy Kat or Talon roaming it is because I am walking from base to my lane because we backed at different times and no I won't walk to your lane because you can't back off for 3 seconds. If I am in lane and I can follow I will follow or at least dissuade them from roaming.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is this your annoying revenge for the time we presumably said that as a silver player your teammates are not the reason why you're losing games or is it part of some other meltdown

Ulio posted:

Hm so just to clarify this without going too in depth. Most of the times when I ping an enemy Kat or Talon roaming it is because I am walking from base to my lane because we backed at different times and no I won't walk to your lane because you can't back off for 3 seconds. If I am in lane and I can follow I will follow or at least dissuade them from roaming.

why are you recalling when the other guy is preparing for a roam opportunity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

if hes obviously shoving the lane for a roam: shove the lane when he leaves and then go top or bot

if you force him out of lane and then he goes for a roam instead of returning to mid: dont back if you force him out of lane, shove the lane and go for a roam

if hes forcing you out of lane: play more defensively and ask for a gank because the issue is with you

if you're forcing him out of lane but you're low/he's forcing you out of lane but he's low: you should be backing at roughly the same time

if he got ganked: shove the lane with your jungler, then help your jungler invade, gank, or get crab

if you got ganked: play more defensively and ask for a gank because the issue is with you

if you're just backing randomly because you're oom: stop casting so much

if he's just backing randomly because he's oom: shove the lane and go for a roam

if your teammates arent responding to warning pings theyre dumb but your job when you're playing against a mid assassin isnt to contest midlane, its to contest their ganks. if the game devolves to mid jerking off you'll win if you arent playing a mid assassin yourself so your job is to make their ganking strat not work out, which means you have to control and contest the enemy laner. pinging him is just a warning that you failed to control him, it doesnt actually deal damage to him or stop him from doing what he wants to do

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Ulio posted:

I wanna give an actual answer to this because I had the same problem back when I mained mid, but there are basically three ways to deal with roamers: A) follow them if you have a good skirmishing midlaner (which poke mages typically aren't) or as mentoned already you have enough vision on them that it's safe to do so anyway, B) trade it off by leveraging the pressure you get on midlane by denying farm to their turret and taking plates/jungle camps/etc, or C) aka The Get Good options, just own them hard enough in early lane phase that they're too behind to do anything but farm under turret.

Also re: backing at different times, you have to be really careful about your back timings against roaming midlaners for that reason; if you back while they're in lane or close to being back it totally frees them up to shove the wave and roam without being punished in the aforementioned ways. Try to coordinate your back timings when it's possible so that either you're backing at the same time as them, your botlane is backing and thus won't be around to get got, or even your jungler being close enough to botlane to help in any skirmish but that last one is a bit less consistent cause, well, junglers

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Verviticus posted:

is this your annoying revenge for the time we presumably said that as a silver player your teammates are not the reason why you're losing games or is it part of some other meltdown

Did you get over that compulsive masturbation problem or do you still beat your wife?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SlyFrog posted:

Did you get over that compulsive masturbation problem or do you still beat your wife?

i think you might want to reread this thing you posted and reflect upon perhaps not posting like this in the future

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i think you might want to reread this thing you posted and reflect upon perhaps not posting like this in the future

Just escalating along with the responses.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Let's see, what's the logical next step up from this guy calling me annoying. Eureka, a crack about domestic abuse, of course

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The counter to midlane roaming champs is to stop picking weenie rear end poke mages like Lux and murder the midlaner with a warrior pick.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

SlyFrog posted:

imagine being this mad online about being pwned in the league thread, ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Servaetes posted:

The counter to midlane roaming champs is to stop picking weenie rear end poke mages like Lux and murder the midlaner with a warrior pick.

maybe its to accuse the enemy midlaner of beating his wife

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Servaetes posted:

Seriously just play Garen mid vs assassins. Bamis into Dead Man's and you completely shutdown their ability to shove and roam

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Arabian Jesus posted:

Seriously just play Garen mid vs assassins. Bamis into Dead Man's and you completely shutdown their ability to shove and roam

pick kled vs talon.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
The problem with counter picking is sometimes you pick before they do

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Yes but the point people here don't seem to get is that at some point if your backs are different, enemy will 100% have a free push then he gets a roam. In fact he might even set up only a slow push and leave if he is struggling in lane to just avoid you.

That's like the only time I get roamed on because I basically permapush from minute 1 as along as the matchup allows me.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

el dingo posted:

The problem with counter picking is sometimes you pick before they do

This is why Rito gave us Heimerdinger (always ban Talon)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Always
B Pick
C Mundo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

It's a worse feeling as a jungler, I get to watch the enemy move through my deep wards in their jungle and the scuttles I've left and I'll run out of pings trying to warn my teammates they should maybe back off instead of trading hits under the enemy tower as the enemy slowly approaches their lane and I'm on the opposite side of the map.

Even worse if the enemy jungler just ganks top > mid > bot and all three lanes are pushed up without wards early or have the awareness to notice the jungler went towards their lane after the last gank.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 19, 2019