Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I recommend Don't Escape 4 Days to Survive. It's on Steam and Gog.com but here's a link to the Mac version on Gog https://www.gog.com/game/dont_escape_4_days_to_survive

In the game you play David, the survivor of a mysterious apocalypse that has left the moon shattered. You have been gifted (cursed?) with precognitive dreams that can help you prepare for the dangers you face. That's the central conceit of the game. Instead of "escaping" you have to fort up somewhere to protect yourself from whatever danger is coming (poison gas, a heat wave, a gang of thugs, etc). The interface is a pretty basic point and click in a retro, 90s style (the game is set in 1996).

One of the cooler bits with the game is a randomization effect. You never know what you'll face whenever you begin a new game. Plus even if a danger is familiar the randomizer works within the scenario. If you needed to set a device to 135 one time, you might need to set it 430 another. Time is a factor as well. Each day you have about 12 hours to get ready for whatever it is. Time doesn't pass while you walk around a given area, but it does pass if you travel to a different area (walking from a bridge to a gas station might use 10 minutes). It also passes when you do significant repairs or otherwise attempt certain tasks (building that bridge mentioned might take 90 minutes).

You generally have plenty of time to get things done and the game is pretty forgiving in terms of letting you survive. You don't have to be perfectly prepared just to survive, but you do get a bonus of you've prepared enough to meet a certain threshold.

Beyond the game play, the real interest here is the story, of figuring out just what happened. You can meet and interact with NPCs is you survive long enough. You can also find information elsewhere. One of the cooler bits in the game is that if you wait and take no action, sometimes the NPCs with you will talk among themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SoR Blaze posted:

Man I know this is all a matter of taste but I found the Mojave to be much more interesting of a place to explore than FO3 or 4. I found 4 in particular to be really boring. I might be biased because I just moved to the Mojave recently but the old west/Americana feel was much stronger to me than what either 3 or 4 had to offer.
For me I think it was just creeping around the quite claustrophobic DC ruins filled with mutants and Talons. Especially when modded up properly to cut back fast travel and make gun battles insanely dangerous, it was a tough place to move around a lot.

Which admittedly relies a whole lot on the mods (otherwise you can just jump in the river and swim directly to rivet city lol), but the Mojave just never gave me the same feeling. In the open desert you can see danger from miles away, and the caves were very samey. And then like you say, I expected FO4 to be better, and it just wasn't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a modern remake of Machiavelli the Prince / Merchant Prince

or even just the same game but available legit and digitally again

or what is the closest game set the in same period

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I guess Patrician or Port Royale series?

Also: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/machiavelli-the-prince-2aj

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a modern remake of Machiavelli the Prince / Merchant Prince

or even just the same game but available legit and digitally again

or what is the closest game set the in same period

That game ruled. As a kid, I loved buying enough Cardinals to become Pope, then declaring a crusade to get an instant military. I also didn't appreciate being a roadbuilder as it seemed really boring but as an adult it's pretty great to get free money and popularity every turn, and also get to make your preferred trade routes more efficient.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for something new to scratch that difficult / complex RPG itch, unmodded or only a single mod. I have already played D:OS2 and Kenshi.

No Action RPGs (e.g. Dark Souls) please.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 14, 2019

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jon Joe posted:

I've been looking for something new to scratch that difficult / complex RPG itch, unmodded or only a single mod. I have already played D:OS2 and Kenshi.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is now a fairly well polished cRPG that feels like the successor to Baldur's Gate et al. Real time with pause party DnD combat combined with a kingdom/city building element.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is now a fairly well polished cRPG that feels like the successor to Baldur's Gate et al. Real time with pause party DnD combat combined with a kingdom/city building element.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Jon Joe posted:

Have you tried Dungeon Crawlers?

The complexity tends towards party composition or preparing for the next dive as opposed to setting up skill combos in combat, but I feel it scratches the same itch for me.

Opperencia seems decent, though I'm not too far yet. You missed a recent sale on Stranger of Sword City unfortunately.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Vadun posted:

Have you tried Dungeon Crawlers?

The complexity tends towards party composition or preparing for the next dive as opposed to setting up skill combos in combat, but I feel it scratches the same itch for me.

Opperencia seems decent, though I'm not too far yet. You missed a recent sale on Stranger of Sword City unfortunately.

The only dungeon crawlers I've played have been Grimrock - neat, but wasn't a fan - and Towers of Time (can that even be called a dungeon crawler?) - which I really liked.

edit: and games of the roguelike genre, e.g. DCSS of course.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jon Joe posted:

You might want to take a look at Aarklash: Legacy. Has a complex and very interesting real-time-with-pause battle system.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PittTheElder posted:

Thread, can you hit me up with your favorite open world games for PC? Leaving out procedurally generated stuff as it gets boring real fast. I'm thinking of how much fun Fallout 3 was to explore, or more recently Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I suspect I should just go get Stalker but is there anything else I should be checking out?

Stalker is excellent, just make sure that you are getting some performance improvement/bug fix mods for Shadow of Chernobyl - it's the best one but it needs some help to run well. Call of Pripyat is second best and runs fine out of the box. CoP's storyline and scripted missions/locations are good but the open world isn't as dynamic, interesting, or fun to explore as SoC's is.

If you're okay with a TON of crafting and interested in a very cool and desperate combat system, NEO Scavenger is a good open world. It's a roguelike and not an easy one though.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 17, 2019

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Looking for a Railway empire type game on PS4 if such a thing exists. Failing that, what are the city builder options like?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for two recommendations here, both offline and on PC.

First - something I can easily plan with minimal keyboard interaction. Ideally mouse driven only. I'm already playing idle games and that works a little but I want something more interactive. Rpg, strategy etc. Stellaris is a decent example but i'm kinda burned out on that and not looking for another 4x.

Second - A slow paced third person rpg or first person dungeon crawler similar to running dungeons in early mmo's like vanilla wow or dark age of camelot. Slow pulling, exploration, danger etc. Not looking for a souls game. Combat is too fast paced. Kingdoms of Amalur is not my jam either. It seems like it would fit but the demo really didn't work for me.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 21, 2019

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

hats4cats posted:

First - something I can easily plan with minimal keyboard interaction. Ideally mouse driven only. I'm already playing idle games and that works a little but I want something more interactive. Rpg, strategy etc. Stellaris is a decent example but i'm kinda burned out on that and not looking for another 4x.

Second - A slow paced third person rpg or first person dungeon crawler similar to running dungeons in early mmo's like vanilla wow or dark age of camelot. Slow pulling, exploration, danger etc. Not looking for a souls game. Combat is too fast paced. Kingdoms of Amalur is not my jam either. It seems like it would fit but the demo really didn't work for me.

First: Reigns, Long live the queen

Second: Not exactly on the mark but maybe Vagrant Story?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hats4cats posted:

Into the Breach

quote:

Tower of Time

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

hats4cats posted:

First - something I can easily plan with minimal keyboard interaction. Ideally mouse driven only. I'm already playing idle games and that works a little but I want something more interactive. Rpg, strategy etc.

Have you played any spiderweb software games? They're old-schoo (90s indie) RPGs with very substantial demos I recommend. Avernum, Geneforge, Avadon. Just missed a hefty sale or two last week, iirc. Jeff Vogel's been going steady at the indie market for 20 years, and all the money that could have gone into graphics and audio has gone into world-building, dramatically branching plotlines (entire cities can fall or thrive if you dick around too long in Avernum, in Geneforge you can team up with one faction or backstab all three), and story-telling. His games can mostly be played entirely with mouse control, turn-based combat, and a casual disregard for mainstream graphics and sound standards.

Avernum has you creating a traditional party of adventurers to escape from a living, dynamic underground prison where everyone is an exile, and return to the surface. Geneforge has you leading an army of disposable minions you shape from the raw essence of life, like some sort of summoner, but on your way to the academy of shapers you're shipwrecked alone on an unknown island full of rogue shapings that have formed three conflicting societies and philospophies towards their creators and you. You can lead them on a path of freedom, servitude, or other. Avadon? Possibly their most modern installment, this series follows a much more directed storyline, with various pre-made characters to play with rather than shaping your own, with the attendant backstories that come with.

When in doubt, play the demo first. Not all of their games are compatible with modern OSes, on account of that twenty years of development. It's not impossible that you can get 8-20 hours of play out of the demo if it turns out to be your thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hats4cats posted:

I'm enjoying Underrail, it's hitting a very Fallout 1 vibe with me (with the exception of the dialogue being a bit unpolished). Slay the Spyre is a kind of gimme recommendation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Point and click adventure games are also pretty good for mouse-only control. Telltale put a lot of work into that back before they hit the walking dead formula with Sam & Max or Tales of Monkey Island, but getting those games right now might be...challenging.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What are some games from the last 5 years that fit in along these base/town building games:
  • Subnautica
  • Stardew Vallet
  • The Are Billions
  • Rimworld
I've tried Satisfactory but it got to be a bit too much. I suspect Factorio would have a similar problem.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

What are some games from the last 5 years that fit in along these base/town building games:
  • Subnautica
  • Stardew Vallet
  • The Are Billions
  • Rimworld
I've tried Satisfactory but it got to be a bit too much. I suspect Factorio would have a similar problem.

My Time at Portia maybe

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Astroneer and Oxygen Not Included

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

• Subnautica
  • Stardew Vallet
  • The Are Billions
  • Rimworld

If you like stardew valley definitely give graveyard keeper a look

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I would like a game where you wandered around (first or third person, I guess) in a fantasy-type (or at least, pre-industrial revolution) type world and scavenged around, or take small jobs, and generally skill yourself up.

It would be cool if there were some kind of crafting or even a little bit of building/survival, but that isn't 100% necessary.

I just want a "chill out" type of RPG.

I guess this sounds exactly like Oblivion or Skyrim or whatever, but I would prefer something with less of a main quest driving you along, or at least, something I don't know like the back of my hand (and therefore, something I will cheese to death, ha).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chinook posted:

I would like a game where you wandered around (first or third person, I guess) in a fantasy-type (or at least, pre-industrial revolution) type world and scavenged around, or take small jobs, and generally skill yourself up.

It would be cool if there were some kind of crafting or even a little bit of building/survival, but that isn't 100% necessary.

I guess this sounds exactly like Oblivion or Skyrim or whatever, but I would prefer something with less of a main quest driving you along, or at least, something I don't know like the back of my hand (and therefore, something I will cheese to death, ha).

Outward maybe, though it's on the tough side to be chill

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
It's been a while since I played any sort of competitive online game. What's the current hotness for multi shooters? Stuff I do/don't like:

- I like charging in and running around, I don't like finding a good spot and hunkering down. The kill quickly die quickly get back into the thick of it quickly pacing is a lot more fun for me than slow strategic make every spawn count.

- I like team based stuff and objectives so it's more interesting than just deathmatch (although DMs a fun option to have), but I don't want something like Overwatch where you have to have synergistic team comps and or whatever. I've spent thousands of hours in TF2 and am completely burned out on that style.

- As long as it doesn't mean I'm completely gimped until I put several hours into the game, I do like unlock systems. Actual items or cosmetics or whatever doesn't matter I just like the "you accomplished something" chemicals it fools my brain into spurting out.

- Probably redundant with my first point but I'm not at all able to get into BR style stuff

- Playerbase that isn't dead on PC

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 22, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chinook posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is exactly this once you unlock the crafting classes.

Also, Kenshi.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chinook posted:

If 3DS is an option, you might want to look into Fantasy Life. You do have to progress the main story to open the world up, but the primary focus is on building up your Lifes (read: jobs), and the crafting loop between them

There's four combat jobs:
- Paladin (sword and board)
- Mercenary (big swords)
- Hunter (bows)
- Magician (obvs)

Five crafting jobs:
- Alchemist
- Cook
- Blacksmith
- Carpenter
- Tailor

And three gathering jobs:
- Angler
- Woodcutter
- Miner

It's pretty chill, though grindy. And to get the best equipment for jobs, you have loops of gathering materials, as say a Miner, then hopping to Blacksmith to make swords and armor, and then using them as a Paladin or Mercenary. The vast majority of the gameplay is going out and hunting monsters for drops, getting them from gathering points, cutting trees, mining ore, or fishing. Then using those items in the other jobs. There's also several quests to get certain items, or make them, that you can pick up from random people.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

StrixNebulosa posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is exactly this once you unlock the crafting classes.

Also, Kenshi.

Oh crap, I do have Kenshi and tried it like 3 years ago. Maybe time to check it out. Thanks.

Edit: Also, to AngryRobotsInc: I've played Fantasy Life and got Master in all the jobs (not creator, or legend, etc, I forget. But it was great)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm looking for a good mystery puzzle type game, like either solving a string of crimes like an investigator or a mystery puzzle game with intrigue and plot twists at its core.

Have played the Zero Escape and Danganronpa games, which scratch this itch superbly. Thought Phoenix Wright was charming but a little silly and slow paced. Also liked L.A. Noire for the investigation parts, the padded gameplay not so much.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Maybe Hotel Dusk?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a good mystery puzzle type game, like either solving a string of crimes like an investigator or a mystery puzzle game with intrigue and plot twists at its core.

Have played the Zero Escape and Danganronpa games, which scratch this itch superbly. Thought Phoenix Wright was charming but a little silly and slow paced. Also liked L.A. Noire for the investigation parts, the padded gameplay not so much.

Aviary Attorny?(actually that's even slower paced than Phoenix Wright) Return of the Obra Dinn?
There's some Sherlock Holmes games too.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Riatsala posted:

Haven’t played it yet but AI: The Somnium Files just came out and it’s by the zero escape guy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Riatsala posted:

You want Deadly Premonition really bad
E: or Judgement

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Riatsala posted:

nachos posted:

Haven’t played it yet but AI: The Somnium Files just came out and it’s by the zero escape guy

seconding this, this is what you want. i just beat it and it scratches those itches perfectly.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Chinook posted:

Since you mentioned Fantasy Life in another post, Rune factory 4?

It’s a fantasy farming game, with enjoyable combat and crafting, and sure, there’s a storyline and some level of anime, but it’s so chill you can even level up ‘walking’ and ‘sleeping’, slowly getting stronger from -everything- you do. Rune Factory got me to check out Fantasy Life, maybe the reverse is possible?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Riatsala posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn would probably be up your alley. Especially given how much of it just flat out relies on you, the player, to notice details and put information together.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Outward maybe, though it's on the tough side to be chill

Seconding this, but with some mods to make it easier and chiller.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Any games like Sheltered or Fallout Shelter but a) good and b) not microtransaction idler hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Splicer posted:

Any games like Sheltered or Fallout Shelter but a) good and b) not microtransaction idler hell?

Oxygen Not Included or Sim Tower, maybe?