Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Who can you turn to
For prompt diagnosis?
A fetish or a fantasy?
Sex and psychosis!

ON OUR SHOW
ON OUR SHOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

This here's a Sherry thread pardner. :clint:

Ewwww

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nanny G-Spot

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxoAsvhcOI

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I approve of this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frasier Crane treats objects like women, man

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Frasier Crane treats objects like women, man

It’s problematic.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
One that always gets me is right after Frasier finishes conducting his theme song, Niles comes up to him excitedly to celebrate. Frasier compliments Niles on his performance, to which Niles responds "Thank you! The trombone frightened me..." and he trails off as they walk off stage.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
...waka waka!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The steakhouse one is the worst episode, even over the awful Greek wedding.

Being too upscale for a steak dinner is just dumb, the tie cutting joke is dumb, I hate it all.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm back to where Daphne's brother turns up and my god I forgot how bad the actors accent is. He sounds like he has a mental retardation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I'm back to where Daphne's brother turns up and my god I forgot how bad the actors accent is. He sounds like he has a mental retardation.

I think they later say that Simon and one of his other brothers were dropped on their head as children.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

His official name is Daphne’s favorite brother Simon

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I never knew how bad I could hate a fictional character until Daphne's family was introduced (gently caress the whole lot of them). They make Livia Soprano look like Amy Santiago

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No Daphne’s one brother is cool and funny and great guest, the rest of the family is a horrible trash bag.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol cant understand hagrid 'eh?

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Daphne's brother Simon had the least objectionable english accent in the entire series, the rest were all so excruciatingly bad I wondered if it was an intentional directorial decision.

Two cracking episodes on tv this morning: the one with Patrick Stewart and the one where Frasier kicks Julia out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes, Patrick Stewart reprising his TNG role was a great episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

supernatural blonde posted:

Daphne's brother Simon had the least objectionable english accent in the entire series, the rest were all so excruciatingly bad I wondered if it was an intentional directorial decision.

Two cracking episodes on tv this morning: the one with Patrick Stewart and the one where Frasier kicks Julia out.

Back in the 90s it was a completely inconceivable idea to actually consistently cast English actors to play English people. Let alone pretty much any other kind of foreigner.

Reminded of how the new DuckTales makes an effort to avoid dodgy accents and lazy stereotypes and actually cast people of the appropriate ethnicity to play characters of the equivalent one, even when they're recast from older shows and have the original voice actor on hand. Starting with Scrooge actually being voiced by a Scottish person for the first time. (David Tennant)

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

supernatural blonde posted:

How a guy supposedly born and raised in Manchester got such a comically broad Cockney accent is anyone's guess, though

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Cosmik Slop posted:

How a guy supposedly born and raised in Manchester got such a comically broad Cockney accent is anyone's guess, though

I never even thought of that. So not only is his accent terrible but it's not even the right accent for the character!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jane Leeves actual English accent wasn't good enough for the show.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Sopranos was originally supposed to be on Fox starring none other than Simon Moon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jane Leeves actual English accent wasn't good enough for the show.

Also pretty common. I remember reading that James Doohan tried out a bunch of regional Scottish accents for Scotty, but the only one that the showrunners would accept was his cartoonish exaggeration.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just be glad they didn't do the same to Uhura and Sulu. There's an alternate universe out there where Uhura sounds like Mammy Two Shoes and Sulu is played by Mickey Rooney.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sunswipe posted:

Just be glad they didn't do the same to Uhura and Sulu. There's an alternate universe out there where Uhura sounds like Mammy Two Shoes and Sulu is played by Mickey Rooney.

Clarification for those who don't watch Trek: they didn't actually do this alternate universe

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

So you're saying Mirror, Mirror could have been even better than it was

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just started season 7 on rewatch. This is where it starts to go downhill, isn't it?

Already Momma Mia was not at all a funny or interesting episode, saved only by the end where there's a very real silent moment between the three Crane boys.

Funniest bit of acting Frasier ever did is still, imo, "I think we've got a problem with your brother Frasier" from some very early episode.

Just perfect delivery and mannerism.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Just started season 7 on rewatch. This is where it starts to go downhill, isn't it?

Already Momma Mia was not at all a funny or interesting episode, saved only by the end where there's a very real silent moment between the three Crane boys.

Funniest bit of acting Frasier ever did is still, imo, "I think we've got a problem with your brother Frasier" from some very early episode.

Just perfect delivery and mannerism.

Season 7 is rough, because it's very clearly playing to resolving the will-they-won't-they Niles / Daphne thing, and Poppy is so loving awful, but there are some gems in there. Off the top of my head, the "theme song" episode, the Antiques Roadshow episode and a few others, but when it's bad, it's bad.

That being said, it's Season 8 that is almost unbearable. Once Niles and Daphne get together, it's a loving shitshow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's been stated a million times, but the lengths the writers had to reach to make Daphne and Niles still seem like the good guys in that situation were loving ridiculous.

Super secret break up and pretend marriage! Donny all of a sudden is a sue happy jerk! They should have just showed the tattered remains of their former relationships and had that be the first hurdle in their new relationship.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Niles/Daphne stuff isn't great but it was handled about as well as it could be, especially including the fat-camp resolution and psychic test episodes. It at least acknowledges the differences between Niles' idealized fantasies and reality, no matter how well he thought they were aligned. Sure, it doesn't go too deep into any of it, but it's a sitcom - the fact that they called it out as being unhealthy at all is a pretty huge deal IMO.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that's pretty much what i expected

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Season 7 does have one of the best Frasier moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFGINcPH-4

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Seasons 7-8 are golden age Frasier, idk what you folks are on about. 9-10 is where more less good episodes really start cropping up

Also there are some early tonally weird ones, the show really got good in 3 and by 4 was as good as it would get

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is Frasier's hair in S1 the original "Season One Hair" hair? That hockey hair is more disturbing than any plotline in the show's early seasons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone commented on how hot Roz is? Because she's banging.

no, nobody has. you're the first. pervert

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Most of us stopped when her IRL cousin came in and posted a bunch of stuff about how amazingly nice and cool she is in person.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I just noticed the woman in S10E19 is the junkie in that breaking bad episode that ain't no skank and smashes spooge to death with an ATM

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm a goon so I definitely aren't a relationship expert, but I feel like they did a good bit of drama and realism (I mean, for a sitcom) handling the Daphnles relationship. They did their flirtatious thing for a long time but didn't push into a relationship because it would risk a great family dynamic. It took the threat of another marriage possibly keeping them apart to push them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even before that, Niles' seperation and long, drawn-out divorce was a lot more realistic than is usually expected from sitcoms, especially for a wealthy couple.

Frasier and Lillith having an amicable divorce and shared custody was also nearly unique and surprisingly positive in retrospect; can imagine kids seeing that and feeling it's not so unusual to have parents whose relationship didn't work out but still know they need to work together to support you.