Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I haven't been able to check out the new updates to this yet, and I skimmed the Direct (didn't have time to really watch it :negative:)... what things are new and free, and what things cost money? I know the single player thing is $10, but that was available a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

raditts posted:

I'll be tetrising along

T-spin or bust.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

T-spin or bust.

It bothers me more than it should that T-spins are worth more than tetrises. They are literally the namesake of the game! T-Spins were a bug that someone took a shining to. :argh:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
They're also harder to stack for than Tetrises and carry a lot more risk.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

YggiDee posted:

It might be related to your placement? I know if you've been doing well in previous games you show up as a 'sparkly' opponent to other players. What I don't know is if other players are deliberately targeting sparklies or if they're more likely to be chosen by the 'random' option.

If your average place over the last ten games is tenth place or above, that's when you get the sparkly intro. I think the game does prioritize you when other players are doing random targeting, but maybe that's bullshit too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Also t-spins are fun, they feel like cheating

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

totalnewbie posted:

T-spin or bust.

I meant that in the general sense of "playing tetris" and not necessarily literally getting tetrises, but T-spins are the one thing I can't seem to get a hang of. I've always hit a mental wall of intentionally building with T-spins in mind, even when watching other people do it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you're looking for a theme to spend tickets on, do not make it the Zelda one. Not unless you want some weird lovely rendition of the Zelda theme and some hot garbage sound effects that I have never heard anything remotely similar to in any Zelda game. I hope the other ones are better.

I've also had like ten straight games of the aforementioned "20 lines out of loving nowhere" so between those two things I think I need to put this game down for a bit.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

raditts posted:

If you're looking for a theme to spend tickets on, do not make it the Zelda one. Not unless you want some weird lovely rendition of the Zelda theme and some hot garbage sound effects that I have never heard anything remotely similar to in any Zelda game. I hope the other ones are better.

Same for the Mario theme. An in-game preview would have been nice. :sigh:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The Donkey Kong one is good. No regrets. :cool:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Does anyone know if I keep my progress from the download version if I buy the physical release, or if I can use the DLC from the physical release in the download version?

I'm a weirdo who likes physical games and I want to get it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Your save file and the DLC are account bound so it shouldn't matter which way you launch the main program

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Edit: I’m wrong. I still like the Zelda theme though. I like how it shows the grave icons for defeated players and I like the Death Mountain remix when it’s the final 10.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 9, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

raditts posted:

Nah, it’s pretty cool and good. I found a video!

https://youtu.be/yf6DHiiddhM

I really want to know what the Spooky Castle one is like though.

Edit: it’s like this! https://youtu.be/owv_GExp3vk

And wow, this person playing to the beat is pretty wicked.

And the Treasure Hunt one replaces the blocks with jewels! All the themes are good.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 9, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The normal mode feels like slow motion after playing a lot of Invictus.:eyepop:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I can confirm for the curious that the other themes (beyond the Nintendo ones) appear to have their own music and sound effects. I unlocked "Elegant" yesterday, and the thematic mismatch when playing in Invicutus is never not amusing. It's a cutesy relaxing theme with cute sound effects, which dulls the pure stress of playing Invictus.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has anyone said whether the Maximus Cups will repeat (or if the themes will be available though other means)? I didn't own a Switch until the third event and the first two themes both sound amazing :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I kind of really want that GB skin/theme, but didn't get it the first time around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minidust posted:

Has anyone said whether the Maximus Cups will repeat (or if the themes will be available though other means)? I didn't own a Switch until the third event and the first two themes both sound amazing :(

They'll probably return someday and be purchasable with tickets. I'd be surprised otherwise.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wendell posted:

Nah, it’s pretty cool and good. I found a video!

https://youtu.be/yf6DHiiddhM

That music is poo poo, man

The color scheme is pretty awful too (far more distracting when you're actually playing with it imo), and both of those in combination actively made me hate the game the more I played with it on

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 11, 2019

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

quote:

I really want to know what the Spooky Castle one is like though.

Edit: it’s like this! https://youtu.be/owv_GExp3vk

And wow, this person playing to the beat is pretty wicked.

This one is pretty cool, but now I'm upset that not only can this guy set up tspins effortlessly, but he's better at running the house on this game while casually loving around to the music than I will ever be in several lifetimes at maximum effort

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is why I'm glad we have Invictus mode. Stunt players and long-time competitive Tetris folk and Wumbo have a nightmare arena all to themselves and the rest of us scrubs can duke it out in the regular murder zone.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
just popping into this thread to shoutout Tetris Attack, it ate up a lot of batteris in my gameboy back in the day

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i have just gotten a switch and i have played 12 times and placed top 2 twice but that last one aaaaaaaaaa

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

YggiDee posted:

This is why I'm glad we have Invictus mode. Stunt players and long-time competitive Tetris folk and Wumbo have a nightmare arena all to themselves and the rest of us scrubs can duke it out in the regular murder zone.

I need an Invictus win but watching videos like that makes me think that won't be happening anytime soon.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I technically qualify for Invictus mode but going in there is like being boiled alive.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I've unlocked an icon for finishing in the top 10 in invictus 20 times. My average of the last 10 games is 9 so I sparkle in invictus mode now.

Still no freaking win :bang:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can you only get tickets from completing daily missions?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Invictus mode is weirdly relaxing in that I have no expectations of ever winning it so who cares how I do

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Finally got my first Tetris Maximus last night! Invictus takes a lot longer to start a match (at least at 2am it does) but I love how fast it is off the bat

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The Treasure Map theme is bad (at least when it comes to board legibility). Avoid. Learn from my mistakes. That said, three themes down, 8(?) to go!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

The Treasure Map theme is bad (at least when it comes to board legibility). Avoid. Learn from my mistakes. That said, three themes down, 8(?) to go!

I think the bold colors and clean lines make Splatoon the best theme. (Bonus points for best music.) Honestly, I found the Mario theme disappointing enough that it made me not care about grinding tickets.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
I just unlocked the toy blocks theme and I definitely recommend it. Simple enough design, not too busy, and the music is great

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the Mario theme. I love the kick rear end castle theme when it gets to the last 10.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1173763498939211776?s=21

Next tournament announced. Kirby theme prize.:)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh I hadn't seen "free-to-start" before, I guess that's a step for honesty.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The game is pretty generous about handing out its paid currency. I haven’t been playing it a ton but haven’t run out yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That's the phrasing Nintendo has always used in place of "free to play"
kinda like how they always call e-shop sales "Price Drops" or "Great Deals"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just got my first theme, and I picked the Zelda one. I love it!

These missions and themes are the perfect way to entice me to play everyday, aside from loving the game. Sometimes I get kind of tired of it, but I can usually knock out these missions within 30 minutes every day :toot:

EDIT: I found this video to be extremely helpful in properly setting up T-spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyulht3wfM

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 19, 2019