Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We had at least one really obnoxious ND fan posting here back in the day, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mangino carried the weight better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Charlie Weis losing his malpractice suit over gastric bypass surgery is still amazing. Like you'd think you could win that suit just by having Charlie stand up in court.

The first trial ended in a mistrial when the doctors he was suing rushed to help some juror who collapsed I remember.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Notre dame haters in this thread are deep. It's one of the premier programs in the country for the last few centuries.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Notre Dame fans claim they almost lost to Pitt last year because it was during midterms and all their athletes were busy studying.

Also Notre Dame produced Jimmy Clausen so gently caress Notre Dame forever.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
For me it was Lou Holts' sunny homerism every time I turned on ESPN to watch a friggin game ND wasn't even in.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Mangino carried the weight better.

Decided Spheric Advantage

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

downout posted:

Notre dame haters in this thread are deep. It's one of the premier programs in the country for the last few centuries.

And hasn't been relevant since last century.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

We had at least one really obnoxious ND fan posting here back in the day, too.

Lennay Kekua was a good poster.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

downout posted:

How can they have been a premier program for the last few centuries when they've only had a football team since 1887?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Tennessee @ Florida is at noon. Feels weird.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

notre dame are the failsons of cfb doing nothing of note in the past three decades aside from 2012 and 2018 where they got mollywhopped by the actual championship team

also every loving nd football article on wikipedia is way too loving long, which isn’t necessarily their fault, but gently caress them for it anyways

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Grittybeard posted:

Charlie Weis losing his malpractice suit over gastric bypass surgery is still amazing. Like you'd think you could win that suit just by having Charlie stand up in court.

The first trial ended in a mistrial when the doctors he was suing rushed to help some juror who collapsed I remember.

Yeah, one of the jurors had a heart attack and the doctors literally saved his life. So they called a mistrial, because its pretty loving hard to tell two doctors they hosed up when they literally saved a man in front of them. The suit was over a post-operative infection which unless there was a clear lack of follow up on the doctors behalf is just a thing that sometimes happens. I believe they settled, as most malpractice cases do.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zimbomonkey posted:

Also Notre Dame produced Jimmy Clausen so gently caress Notre Dame forever.

Dumbass hedgehog. I get being confident, but how on Earth did he ever think his boasts were going to pan out?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hasn't ND made a couple of playoffs? Even with their sometimes-lackluster schedule and media hype, I say if you make the playoffs, nobody can say you sucked that year.

LLCoolJD posted:

Man, I wish my team would play a noon game.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I'm forever haunted by the loving 1989 Fiesta Bowl. gently caress Notre Dame.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

speaking of which, im calling that tennessee will unexpectedly beat florida somehow, then implode against UAB later in the season to guarantee a 2-10 finish

Sash! posted:

Dumbass hedgehog. I get being confident, but how on Earth did he ever think his boasts were going to pan out?

i suspect it is easy to grow up into kind of a shithead when they put you on the cover of sports illustrated at like 14

like lebron has his issues but ive always been impressed hes not more of an insane ego monster after being hyped that way at that age

clausen i figure is more of a typical outcome of such

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 18, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

like, remember this poo poo
https://www.si.com/vault/2005/11/28/8362874/the-kid-with-the-golden-arm

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Look the nfl has the cowboys; ncaa has notre dame. The team of america.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i bet i could throw a football through drywall too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

i bet i could throw a football through drywall too

I think this is probably harder than you think.

Also I'd love to see a parade of middle-aged dads trying to do this.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
make it a halftime show thing, get a sponsorship deal with some local construction company and have dudes trying to chuck footballs through sheets of drywall on the field

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

quote:

I don't want to talk about the game. I don't want to rehash botched calls, questionable play-calling, or stupid mistakes. I don't want to think about the "if-only's." It's too painful. Let me mourn in peace.

Still, the trip to West Lafayette was a valuable learning experience. It made me thoroughly appreciate being a Domer.

The corn should have been my first clue that something was amiss. We took the first exit that said Purdue, anticipating the sight of the stadium ready to accommodate screaming Irish fans. Instead, we found ... corn. For several miles we drove on a two-lane road winding through cornfield upon cornfield.

Thanks to backed-up traffic, we had several hours to appreciate the corn.

Finally we made it to campus ("I thought I'd seen ugly buildings before — but now I realize I was wrong," said my roommate) and into the stadium.

But the reasons to count my blessings had just begun. Anytime there are more cheerleaders than football players, well, there's something inherently wrong. You may think I'm kidding. But I'm dead serious.

Start with the 10 girls and 10 guys, who I assume were the varsity cheerleaders. Add 10 more of each who I think were the JV cheerleaders. That's 40. Then consider the 16 flag girls and eight baton twirlers. We're up to 64. But that's not all. Count the 32 pom girls, even though I couldn't quite discern their purpose, and that brings us to a grand total of 96 cheerleaders.

And you might think there's nothing wrong with this. Spirit is good, right? Well, maybe I could excuse it if there was any spirit in the Purdue stadium. But there wasn't.

Our 12 cheerleaders are able to make the entire stadium resonate with the sounds of "We are Notre Dame." The Purdue stadium resonated with ... random noise every once in awhile when Purdue had a good play.

After an entire game in Ross-Ade Stadium, with the Purdue fans just two rows behind me, I have no idea what their fight song sounds like. They never sang it. I think the band played it every so often, but I'm not even sure about that, since we couldn't really hear the band.

Maybe we're spoiled, since when our band plays the sound resonates through campus. Even in the broadcast of the Michigan game, the Irish band could be heard loud and clear in the Big House. But I don't think it's too much to ask for a band to at least play loud enough that those sitting in the stadium can hear it. It's not like the sounds of the crowd were drowning it out.

Even the individual fans were a disappointment. The ubiquitous presence of "The Shirt" confused and befuddled them. One fan sneered, "What, did they give those shirts out for free or something?" I guess the concept of Irish unity is too much for them to grasp. Understandable I guess, since Boilermaker unity is nonexistent.

As we were heading back to our car, a Purdue student shouted insults at us from his dorm window. At this point, someone who would attack two girls while hiding in the safety of his dorm didn't even surprise me.

We walked away with our heads held high. After all, we are ND. And we don't have to spend the rest of our college careers at Purdue.

They all have attitudes like this. People in Indiana who can't spell college are all ND Football/IU Basketball fans and it is insufferable.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

Saw that and thought the same thing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wernox posted:

They all have attitudes like this. People in Indiana who can't spell college are all ND Football/IU Basketball fans and it is insufferable.

I think if I ever got to a place in my life where I was typing screeds like that that boil down to "we're better than Purdue" I'd probably take a long, hot bath with some razor blades or a plugged in toaster in easy reach.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
LSU fans are being all pissy about the 11am start but I love it. We'll be out by 2-ish, can go to downtown Nashville and enjoy Auburn-A&M and ND-Georgia on some of those sweet sweet roof decks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

wernox posted:

They all have attitudes like this.

What a disgrace it must be to be associated with agriculture and engineering. :rolleyes:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

wernox posted:

ND vs Bama we spent in a bar in Guam. We got there 2hrs before the game, and a giant group of ND fans had already set up a shrine and were loudly talking poo poo.

I hate bama, but that day I had to root for them. When the game was over, they walked over to the table and demanded to know what our names were and what command we were at so they could speak to our CO about our conduct.

The reason? We cheered when alabama scored. Nevermind the fact that these guys, every single one of them navy and air force officers, were literally doing sprints around the bar waving flags and screaming in people's faces for loving hours. We dared cheer against ND so we had to be punished.

gently caress Notre Dame.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

iwentdoodie posted:

ND vs Bama we spent in a bar in Guam. We got there 2hrs before the game, and a giant group of ND fans had already set up a shrine and were loudly talking poo poo.

I hate bama, but that day I had to root for them. When the game was over, they walked over to the table and demanded to know what our names were and what command we were at so they could speak to our CO about our conduct.

The reason? We cheered when alabama scored. Nevermind the fact that these guys, every single one of them navy and air force officers, were literally doing sprints around the bar waving flags and screaming in people's faces for loving hours. We dared cheer against ND so we had to be punished.

Roll tide gently caress the police

https://youtu.be/n_RJzHnKWV4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Would your or any CO have given a poo poo about this?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

iwentdoodie posted:

Shoulda told them your CO was Saban.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
These anecdotes about "bad" Notre Dame fans makes me think most of y'all haven't had more than passing interactions with Aggies.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Joey Freshwater posted:

Would your or any CO have given a poo poo about this?

If he was a ND fan probably.

And I've interacted with plenty of aggies, they're dipshits but ND fans take it to the worst loving level

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sab0921 posted:

These anecdotes about "bad" Notre Dame fans makes me think most of y'all haven't had more than passing interactions with Aggies.

Watching hammered be-salmon-shorted 40 year old Georgia dudes angrily barking at small children in Jacksonville is also quite an experience.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sab0921 posted:

Never had a problem with any Aggie fans when they come to Clemson. Corps-bros are weird and ooze the whole faux-alpha douchebag vibe... but the rest of the fan base is normal and polite.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

LeeMajors posted:

Watching hammered be-salmon-shorted 40 year old Georgia dudes angrily barking at small children in Jacksonville is also quite an experience.

College Football is perfect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I had like exactly the same experience, but it was a frat dude at LSU.

Why barking? :shrug:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Because men are dogs, op

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

PostNouveau posted:

I believe you'll find the Georgia mascot is a bulldog (when it's alive).

related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etMlNW5w-50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

iwentdoodie posted:

If he was a ND fan probably.

And I've interacted with plenty of aggies, they're dipshits but ND fans take it to the worst loving level

Well Aggies can't report to your CO since none of them are in the real army