Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MoonKnight posted:

Nightmare (supernatural fear)
Nightmare is just "What if Presence ••, but a whole discipline?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
drat, guess I’m not getting the Trinity books after all. I thought it was paid already but I guess not and I just can’t afford it right now.

Ruined my day. 😔

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Deviant launches on KS Thursday. :toot:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Deviant launches on KS Thursday. :toot:

but you might want to hold off on supporting it till Kickstarter institutes a union.

Probably.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The union has not called for a boycott, so it's up to individuals here. I believe their reasoning was at this moment it'd hurt creators more than Kickstarter and they don't want that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
One of my werewolves just ate a vampire. I was going to have her take damage and throw up, any other ideas that make things more fun? She's already leaning into the cannibalism angle and the pack will deal with that, so I'm not really going to go blood addiction. We've also already discussed her character going NPC and becoming an antagonist with the devourer rules. Just a fun one time fuckery.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I actually don't think eating a vampire would gently caress up a werewolf more than eating a human would. Like, I'd treat it as 'you ate a human, but this one tasted super gross except for the blood.'

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Vampire flesh is whatever but I can't imagine there's anything good that comes of ingesting a bunch of Vitae. (Can uratha get blood bound? Imagine becoming obsessively devoted to the person you're cannibalizing while you're eating them.)

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soonmot posted:

One of my werewolves just ate a vampire.
wow

Soonmot posted:

I was going to have her take damage and throw up,
WOW

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Oh god I love you!"
"Then please stop!"
"No, No, not that kind of.... is there a greek word for 'love you like a sandwich?'"
"STOP GNAWING ON MY LEG!"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

One of my werewolves just ate a vampire. I was going to have her take damage and throw up, any other ideas that make things more fun? She's already leaning into the cannibalism angle and the pack will deal with that, so I'm not really going to go blood addiction. We've also already discussed her character going NPC and becoming an antagonist with the devourer rules. Just a fun one time fuckery.

Nothing magical, but the vampire's coterie takes umbrage. Suddenly there's an intense municipal interest in expanding development into wherever the local lodge is.

She feels a rush of raw power like a mortal suddenly gaining tons of Potence, but she's already a werewolf so it doesn't actually do anything. It just really amps her up.

Maybe a Strix takes an interest as she spiritually metabolizes the blood.

In a crazy twist, the spiritual gut flora (and the Divine Fire) cause the werewolf to vomit the roughly intact vampire back up but now they're an Ulgan Promethean.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think that eating a vampire would only count as one drink for the blood bond, unless they reworked that for Requiem and I forgot. It's the individual drinks (and I believe they have to be spread out temporally, too) that count, not how much dracula juice you guzzle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

Nothing magical, but the vampire's coterie takes umbrage. Suddenly there's an intense municipal interest in expanding development into wherever the local lodge is.

She feels a rush of raw power like a mortal suddenly gaining tons of Potence, but she's already a werewolf so it doesn't actually do anything. It just really amps her up.

Maybe a Strix takes an interest as she spiritually metabolizes the blood.

In a crazy twist, the spiritual gut flora (and the Divine Fire) cause the werewolf to vomit the roughly intact vampire back up but now they're an Ulgan Promethean.

I am going to do some reading on the pandorans because this is giving me ideas

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Inzombiac posted:

I love it.

I took Professional Training for my Nos because he's heavily in the art scene and fits with his "Plucked From Obscurity" background.

He also has True Friend, which I'm curious about. It seems like I get an invincible ally/contact/retainer that is also my BFF. Pretty nuts for only ***.
He's going to be the Ned to my Peter Parker, not a combat friend. Maybe he'll be the charming one while I skulk around.
And I'll make him a ghoul, obviously.

Does anyone have thoughts on Small Framed?
The HP hit is rough but the text says you get +2 when attempting to hide or avoid detection.
Wouldn't that just act like a permanent +2 to Stealth?

Okay this is ancient history at this point, but I was catching up and my grognard brain got stuck on this, so for the record:

True Friend doesn't grant you access to any of the perks associated with Allies, Retainer, etc. unless you also purchase those Merits. Even if your True Friend is the chief of police, you can't leverage that relationship into actual material aid unless you also have dots of Allies (Police). If you need an excuse, the chief is hamstrung by regulation, politics, lack of funding or whatever, but the real reason is of course that you didn't pay for it.

You do of course get the undeniable advantage that the chief of police likes you and will never sell you out, but without further investment it's hard to say how far that gets you. That's kind of the inherent problem with Social Merits - it's hard to say where a positive relationship with an NPC crosses over into a mechanically advantageous Merit.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

The union has not called for a boycott, so it's up to individuals here. I believe their reasoning was at this moment it'd hurt creators more than Kickstarter and they don't want that.
That said, you can totally weigh up whether to back a particular project or not based on how the creators have responded to the whole union thing.

For instance, Rowan, Rook & Decard just started the Kickstarter for Heart, a dungeon exploration spinoff of Spire, and they say upfront in the Kickstarter FAQ and risks & rewards section that they've only gone ahead because the union has so far not called for a boycott, but they stand ready to act in the event that the union changes its advice during the funding period, and Greg Stolze and others have signed an open letter more or less saying the same thing; it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, Onyx Path does in this regard.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I am going to do some reading on the pandorans because this is giving me ideas

Laid out the seeds of a future antagonist, going to mix in a bit of the body hopping vampire y'all statted up earlier, too.

quote:

For an instant, Nikki feels power like she's never known fill her belly and radiate an intoxicating warmth outward, filling her limbs with strength. Her muscles tense, ready to tear the universe apart. And then everything contracts. Her stomach rebels at the rotten, dead meat floating around inside. Already overstuffed, the killer curls up in a ball, retching. Her vomiting is so intense that her ribs shatter, hot acid burns the inside of her throat and she can feel her back teeth begin to dissolve in the torrent of coppery acid that begins to literally burn the concrete in front of her. Chunks of partially digested flesh and mangled organs pile up in front the werewolf as tears begin to blur her vision.

She passes out, cheek hitting the pavement with a wet smack. When Nikki comes too, only seconds later, she feels drained, her spiritual energy leeched away by something. Looking around, all she sees is blood stained, acid pitted concrete. The meat and organs gone, if they were ever there. Oddly, she feels better, not as drawn to the flesh as she had been these last few days.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Warthur posted:

it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, Onyx Path does in this regard.

In this week's Monday Meeting post they mentioned looking into other options, including traditional preorders.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

In this week's Monday Meeting post they mentioned looking into other options, including traditional preorders.
That, however, was in the context of the issue of not being able to run multiple campaigns simultaneously on the same Kickstarter account, which they needed to find a workaround for.

In the comments, Rich says that OP are aware of what's going on and have taken note that the union are currently asking people not to change how they use Kickstarter at the present time. He doesn't, on the other hand, quite go so far as to say OP would actually do something if the union's advice changed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hopefully someone emailed Onyx Path the union busting PowerPoints Amazon uses internally.

I am wary of backing any kickstarter now, even if the creators are using the lack of call for a boycott. It is all so recent that it is fine for the next month or two just because it is hard to pivot but at the same time that won't be true eventually.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hopefully someone emailed Onyx Path the union busting PowerPoints Amazon uses internally.

I am wary of backing any kickstarter now, even if the creators are using the lack of call for a boycott.
I think it's worth noting that what we're looking at isn't a lack of a call for a boycott, it's a specific call from the union not to boycott just yet. That's the crucial difference for me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That is an important distinction to be sure.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Warthur posted:

I think it's worth noting that what we're looking at isn't a lack of a call for a boycott, it's a specific call from the union not to boycott just yet. That's the crucial difference for me.

Um... what about the Kickstarter/the union/boycott? Is there a thread when I can read more?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Gantolandon posted:

Um... what about the Kickstarter/the union/boycott? Is there a thread when I can read more?

Kickstarter have been firing people for trying to organise a union. This has a lot of creators rightly very upset indeed.

Right now, the workers are saying "don't boycott for now, we'll keep you posted".

If that changes to "okay, boycott" midway through a campaign I'm pledging for, even if that campaign is (as for example) a game I did the early design for and won't be paid for until publication, I am cancelling that pledge in a heartbeat. And so should you.

The last couple of days has seen several ttrpg kickstarters launch with "the union calls for a strike" in the Risks. We'll see if Deviant does.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Kickstarter have been firing people for trying to organise a union. This has a lot of creators rightly very upset indeed.

Right now, the workers are saying "don't boycott for now, we'll keep you posted".

If that changes to "okay, boycott" midway through a campaign I'm pledging for, even if that campaign is (as for example) a game I did the early design for and won't be paid for until publication, I am cancelling that pledge in a heartbeat. And so should you.

The last couple of days has seen several ttrpg kickstarters launch with "the union calls for a strike" in the Risks. We'll see if Deviant does.

You're good people.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I feel like the tide is starting to turn, slowly, among niche groups, towards being in favor of unions. Hopefully this is a springboard to people in general giving a gently caress about the labor movement, but we'll see.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

I feel like the tide is starting to turn, slowly, among niche groups, towards being in favor of unions. Hopefully this is a springboard to people in general giving a gently caress about the labor movement, but we'll see.

It's like Jon Bois says in this video: people who are against unions are assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cross-posting from the Kickstarter thread:

Looks like Deviant has launched and much like Contagion Chronicle it really doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

At this pace it will probably fund within a few hours, which is a little slow for OPP. I remember Contagion and Dark Eras 2 also weren't their usual runaway money toboggan, but I seem to recall Dark Eras 1 was huge, and Changeling (was that the last CoD KS before Contagion?) and the Trinity books have been doing pretty well. So I remain pretty skeptical of the notion of Kickstarter fatigue, and more convinced these newer lines of development just aren't attractive to the customer base. (It's still going to be ridiculously successful by more normal standards.)

Edit: Oh no the last CoD KS was Geist which looks like it did pretty well.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 19, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I put in for the basic pledge level for now, just to catch updates. Can't say as I'm super surprised the union was not mentioned in the risks, but I am somewhat disappointed.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'm going to skip pledging towards the Deviant book in part because not putting the potential industrial action by the Kickstarter union in the risks section elides what Onyx Path as a company stands for and what the challenges and rewards of the Kickstarter platform is for them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

That Old Tree posted:

At this pace it will probably fund within a few hours, which is a little slow for OPP.

It's become a somewhat meaningless metric because at this particular moment in time

Gerund posted:

I'm going to skip pledging towards the Deviant book in part because not putting the potential industrial action by the Kickstarter union in the risks section elides what Onyx Path as a company stands for and what the challenges and rewards of the Kickstarter platform is for them.

is a real issue. PnP gaming isn't a field where a bunch of folks get lost in the hundreds of thousands of people that would pledge or something. It doesn't take many people skipping a pledge because of the union busting for it to have a meaningful effect on the pace.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I hope I'm wrong but I'm highly doubtful most potential customers actually give a poo poo about the union-busting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All Deviants Are Scabs

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

What happened when I sent a message asking about KS United via Kickstarter posted:

Hi Adam,

Onyx Path is paying careful attention to the ongoing efforts by Kickstarter United, and have been investigating alternative platforms and other options should the situation require drastic action.

There was discussion before launching Deviant as planned, and the guidance from Kickstarter United’s message to continue with our planned Kickstarter campaign, and not to boycott the platform... at this time.

So, we’re hoping that we have success with our campaign that will also be an example of what would be taken away should the direction change and a new method/platform/process needs to be undertaken.

And we’re hoping to be able to continue working with Kickstarter and the employees that are working hard at that company.

That’s probably not as eloquent as Rich or the writers from Onyx Path would write, but I hope it gets our outlook across - hopeful optimism that Kickstarter will allow their employees to organize (should that be their ultimate decision), and exploring options should we need to pursue other avenues.

-James

No idea why they wouldn't put this on the KS campaign itself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

That Old Tree posted:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm highly doubtful most potential customers actually give a poo poo about the union-busting.

That's sort of the point. Math time! The difference between Geist which you think did pretty well and Contagion which seems like an iffier release is.....424 people. The difference between Geist and Changeling 2 is a little over 500. Lets call Changeling the safe upper limit of "People that might be seriously interested in pledging". 1/50th of people that pledged to Changeling 2 is 1/9th the difference between a Geist 2 and a Contagion Chronicles. That's both not a lot of potential customers and also a noticeable impact towards perceived success and failure. It doesn't take much to shake things up when you are dealing with small numbers.

Beast did 1.6k, anywhere in the 1.5 to 2k range I'd say it's doing just fine. Less than that and I'd say something was depressing interest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spector29 posted:

There is probably a significant tranche of people who pony up buckazoids for OPP properties who would pay extra for scab-printed materials, and they probably don't want to aggravate that rift.

Now I don't know if that would be make or break numbers. I think the percentage that would actually for-real be like "gently caress THE UNION, gently caress ALL UNIONS, I AM TRASH MAN" would be relatively small, but it would also be really loving loud, and probably has network effects due to being real loud.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Spector29 posted:

Because pissing off Luke Crane may cause problems for OPP's projects down the line? ("Hm, maybe I should start applying that 'no new project until you've fulfilled your previous one' rule more consistently...")

(If Luke Crane is pro-Kickstarter United then I begrudgingly retract the above joke. But I don't see much evidence of that.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Moving this here from F&f: wouldn’t most vampires not on Humanity just become Spectres rather than wraiths? I guess maybe not some of the less kill happy paths. But scouring your dome that way seems bad for your potential Psyche.

On the other hand Intimitation might make it very easy to get on a Path.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

Moving this here from F&f: wouldn’t most vampires not on Humanity just become Spectres rather than wraiths? I guess maybe not some of the less kill happy paths. But scouring your dome that way seems bad for your potential Psyche.

On the other hand Intimitation might make it very easy to get on a Path.
Yeah, I'd think just about any of the Paths that aren't sufficiently Humanity-adjacent (or, like Scorched Heart, kill off the emotions that would empower your Shadow) would fast-track a dead vampire into Spectre-dom, since so many of them are about "be an overt hideous monster" or "yes, listen to the voice in your head that says Do Murders" and that's Spectre 101.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah, I'd think just about any of the Paths that aren't sufficiently Humanity-adjacent (or, like Scorched Heart, kill off the emotions that would empower your Shadow) would fast-track a dead vampire into Spectre-dom, since so many of them are about "be an overt hideous monster" or "yes, listen to the voice in your head that says Do Murders" and that's Spectre 101.
Vampires might end up with strong but relatively dumb Shadows in a lot of cases. Since I imagine most of the successful ones tend to front the manipulative aspects of their personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

Vampires might end up with strong but relatively dumb Shadows in a lot of cases. Since I imagine most of the successful ones tend to front the manipulative aspects of their personality.
True, and in fairness, when you're used to the Beast giving you a constant droning buzz of "rip and tear, kill and drink," some dipshit whispering in your ear about being sad and sulky for eternity doesn't really land as hard. Also, you're already used to living a hideous half-existence, and not seeing the sun, and wait a second do vampires make the most well-adjusted wraiths?