Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WienerDog posted:

Is it 10gb or unlimited? :what:

Their plans are "unlimited" with a specific quantity of GB before throttling. So their "10GB Infinite" plan is 10GB full speed before getting throttled to 512kbps. The terminology is new to me, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I wish Koodo supported Apple watch.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you mean supported? Its not bad enough you have to take out 2 or 3 mortgages to get a phone now, you need to finance the loving watch too?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

codo27 posted:

What do you mean supported? Its not bad enough you have to take out 2 or 3 mortgages to get a phone now, you need to finance the loving watch too?

Simmer down, presumably they mean supporting the cell version, which requires carrier tomfoolery.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cellular on the watch is overkill anyway

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bingo. I didn't realize my watch even had wifi til I was out and about the other day with it left home charging, and got a notification on my phone it was ready.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I mean, if he/she wants to use the cellular capability of their Apple Watch, great? Don't judge others for their use of gadgets, in the loving gadget subforum.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Any advancement beyond the rotary phone is heresy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My telephone gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Any advancement beyond the rotary phone is heresy.

Honestly would just prefer to go straight back to telegraphs pls and thanks

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yes, everyone knows Morse Code is the world language of commerce anyways. :wotwot:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

Yes, everyone knows Morse Code is the world language of commerce anyways. :wotwot:

It’s semaphore that drives real business you techno geek

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, if he/she wants to use the cellular capability of their Apple Watch, great? Don't judge others for their use of gadgets, in the loving gadget subforum.

They're talking about a watch, not a person.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

They're talking about a watch, not a person.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I would prefer the market differentiation be on a feature most people don't have use for.

Didn't they used to use visual voicemail as such? The bastards.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

I would prefer the market differentiation be on a feature most people don't have use for.

Didn't they used to use visual voicemail as such? The bastards.

Rogers "visual voicemail" is now a $7/mo voicemail-to-text feature, you can tap play/delete/etc and read a transcription in an MMS message. It works....okay?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rogers "visual voicemail" is now a $7/mo voicemail-to-text feature, you can tap play/delete/etc and read a transcription in an MMS message. It works....okay?

thread title update please? :haw:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm good with my watch and earbuds for most of the day. My phone is just a hotspot to me at this point. Wouldn't mind LTE on my watch but I don't want to go back to the big 3 for it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Housh posted:

I wish Koodo supported Apple watch.
Supposedly eSIM support is coming. No idea on the timeline though.

I just switched over from Koodo’s MB 5GB/$50 month plan to their QC plan which is 16GB/$65 month.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I shouldn’t be surprised but is visual voicemail still a pay feature with the new Rogers infinite plans? I just got one and I’m only able to call VM. I guess somehow I thought I read that it came with enhanced voicemail but I guess I was wrong. Sigh, Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Man, I shouldn’t be surprised but is visual voicemail still a pay feature with the new Rogers infinite plans? I just got one and I’m only able to call VM. I guess somehow I thought I read that it came with enhanced voicemail but I guess I was wrong. Sigh, Canada.

Yup. You have to get it for $7/mo or in a value pack.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Supposedly eSIM support is coming. No idea on the timeline though.

I just switched over from Koodo’s MB 5GB/$50 month plan to their QC plan which is 16GB/$65 month.
That's great news. Also, sweet new plan.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I was tired of reading about all these plans being offered by Koodo and I wasn't getting poo poo. I asked them at the kiosk and there wasn't much they could do but the guy said to call and talk to customer retention. I've been with them 6 years and have referred many (who get these offers but I dont). They got this whole callback thing now and it seems you cant talk to a person without surrendering to that. First guy I got I explained all this to and he said nope theres nothing we can do unless you buy a new phone. So that was a hard no, I said gimme customer retention. Right off the bat the next guy is just like yeah for customers of your tenure, we can definitely do something. Went from 8gb/$65 to 12gb/$60 with no effort with this guy. He even said he didn't know why the first rep didn't offer that to me. Koodo isn't very proactive with this stuff he said, give us a call every once in a while to see what we can do. +4gb for -$5, I'm happy.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Finally trying to get the Public Mobile poo poo set up and it's problems from the jump. I think maybe my email domain of odiv.net is causing issues. It won't let me log in, but it says it doesn't recognize my email when I ask to resend password.

So I log in to the community (which requires a separate username/password) because I apparently have to PM a mod on there and I immediately get fuckin' hassled by someone looking for referrals.

Anyway, getting it sorted on there hopefully, but it wasn't really encouraging that the error message I got on activation was literally this:
code:
Oops ... It seems that something went wrong .. Please href=" [url]https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help[/url]" Target="_blank">email us to get your account operational. We apologize for any inconvenience. 
and that I found people with the same message (along with the hosed code) from two years ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, crowd sourcing your tech support. What a racket.

Glad I've never had to use it beyond my first day.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's a link to someone who had the same error as me.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Oops-It-seems-that-something-went-wrong/td-p/147800

You'd think you could fix your broken HTML after a couple of years?

And of course the CC charge went through without a hitch. :)

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 27, 2019

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bought a Public Mobile SIM intending to switch, and on submitting the activation got a generic IIS 404 page.

I might still try again, but it definitely gave me pause because some botched activation where I lose my number would be the worst.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well just so you know it apparently took them 3 port requests to get it right.

For a while I was getting voice and data, but no texts, then I had data, text, and could call out, but phone calls in were still hitting my old voicemail. Finally, this morning, they sorted everything out (I think?).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Their website is awful but the service has been rock solid (which makes sense, considering it’s just bellus). I kind of want an excuse to switch but I can’t because I’m too cheap.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And got my wife's cellphone switched over today with no problems, so it's nice to see my problematic activation wasn't the norm.

Turns out we were paying $85/mo for 500MB on her phone. I realize it was on us to do something about this a lot sooner, but that's loving criminal.

Because I sent in an unlock request last night we got a call from customer retention today just before I swapped sims. I told the guy we were changing providers and he asked why, so I told him to look at how much we were paying for so little.

Anyway, looking forward to saving some money finally. $60 plus tax total per month isn't too bad for both of us.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

quote:

Because I sent in an unlock request last night we got a call from customer retention

In my experiences, the retention people always call too late. Usually a day or two after the port was complete. I even had called a few days before to see if they could match the price of the service I was planning on switching to.

This was with Rogers, Telus, and Virgin Mobile. The only reason I can think they weren't so eager is because I was already on a low/mid tiered plan that I was using a phone I bought separetely on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CellPhoneMan sent me this today

25gb LTE Data with Unlimited Roaming in Canada/US/Mexico
We are extremely excited to announce a new exclusive plan. As pioneers of alternative cellphone plans in Canada, this marks another first in Canadian history!

The plan includes:
25gb LTE Data
Unlimited Calling/Texting
The data as well the calls/texts can be used in Can/US/Mexico without any additional charges
The monthly cost of this plan is $53/m. It is a prepaid plan with no contract or long-term commitment

Very Important Notes:
There are only 10 plans available. These are pre-secured plans meaning we have 10 ready to go. If the plans do well and those 10 customers provide good feedback, we will get more
We are the only company offering a plan like this, and we'd like to keep it that way. The first batch of 10 plans will only be available to customers we have dealt with in the past and their family/friends. We will provide you access to this plan only after you have provided the first/last name so we can check out records
The page set-up on our website is password protected. We will only provide the password after you text us with your name

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried to go to CellPhoneMan.ca and it just sits there flashing some cartoon of a dude.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got that but it changes to a password request, but I dunno what it is. The email also has a link to their telegram channel. Bit strange.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Definitely not a scam?:discourse:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Ugh, my phone plan is so lovely. Hey, who are you with?"
"Cell Phone Man."
"Sorry?"
"Cell Phone Man is the name of my provider."
"Riiiight..."

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

codo27 posted:

I got that but it changes to a password request, but I dunno what it is.

quote:

The first batch of 10 plans will only be available to customers we have dealt with in the past and their family/friends. We will provide you access to this plan only after you have provided the first/last name so we can check out records
The page set-up on our website is password protected. We will only provide the password after you text us with your name

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol that's not sketchy at all

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well their website is now "working" - I think.

It has more spelling and formatting errors than a 409 scam though :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried later at work on a desktop, loaded ok. You pay him $100 and he gets you one of the Koodo plans he lists.