Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

We spent the weekend with old friends at Taughannock State Park in NY which is just north of Ithaca.

The park has a big open playground, kayak and canoe rentals and a ‘beach’ area, but the main attraction is the Taughhannock Gorge:

And from above:

And a gratuitous Leeloo pic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
back in the day cornell rotc used to get to rappell down from the overlook. that must have been wild

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Natty Ninefingers posted:

back in the day cornell rotc used to get to rappell down from the overlook. that must have been wild

Judging from how many cadets I've seen just about piss their pants on the 40 ft tower, it must have been wild indeed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EBB posted:

Judging from how many cadets I've seen just about piss their pants on the 40 ft tower, it must have been wild indeed.

lol i totally skipped the tower

wait, i did the tower, and skipped the tower course at flw

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Arishtat posted:

We spent the weekend with old friends at Taughannock State Park in NY which is just north of Ithaca.

The park has a big open playground, kayak and canoe rentals and a ‘beach’ area, but the main attraction is the Taughhannock Gorge:

And from above:

And a gratuitous Leeloo pic:

Those are some nice shots!

Here's my Labor day pics. Just a couple, gf's dog got skittish and we had to head out earlier than expected.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

some pics from trips I took this year

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Those are gorgeous, where are they geographically speaking?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

1 - Langjokull Glacier, Iceland
2 - Hidden canyon near Jokulsarlon, Iceland
3 - Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
4 - Cliffs of Moher, Ireland
5 - Eilean Donan, Scottish Highlands

I travel ~6 months or so out of the year, just taking drone footage wherever I go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone have a beginners camera with a basic lens set up they have grown past? I’m considering taking on my orders in Europe.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sony A6xxx w/ their super tiny 16-50mm kit lens would probably do you well. That plus a good prime (Sigma 30mm f1.4) would probably do you well. You should be able to find an A6000 body for dirt cheap locally, the lens goes for $100ish on eBay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

1 - Langjokull Glacier, Iceland
2 - Hidden canyon near Jokulsarlon, Iceland
3 - Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
4 - Cliffs of Moher, Ireland
5 - Eilean Donan, Scottish Highlands

I travel ~6 months or so out of the year, just taking drone footage wherever I go.

:stare:

What do you do the other 6 months?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

:stare:

What do you do the other 6 months?

I own an IT consulting company (which usually consists of just me), mainly working with banks, I can generally work from anywhere I have internet as long as I don't need to be on site at a client data center for a build. I actually sold my house last year and basically travel full time, just do monthly AirBnBs wherever I feel like going. I used to contract in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I got tired of gov life. Private sector pays so much better.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Taken today, at Molasses Reef (a few miles offshore from Key Largo). GoPro Hero5, freediving with a friend.

The sea turtle decided to chomp down on a jellyfish floating near me, in the first pic he's about to take a bite out of it :) The sunlight hit it just right to make it look fiery, the 3rd pic of it is closer to how they normally look. All of these are 30ft down or less.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hells yeah death to jellyfish

rad pics too man

Susa
Apr 27, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Anyone have a beginners camera with a basic lens set up they have grown past? I’m considering taking on my orders in Europe.

If you are still in washington I have a spare D3200 that im not really willing to part with at the moment but if you wanted to go out on a hike sometime I could show you how to use it at least.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Susa posted:

If you are still in washington I have a spare D3200 that im not really willing to part with at the moment but if you wanted to go out on a hike sometime I could show you how to use it at least.

Huh. This may work to see if I'm all about that camera life.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Went on a short hike outside of Lyons yesterday afternoon

Saw a prairie dog about two yards from the trail

Came around a corner at one point and the girlfriend was about two steps away from stepping on the first rattler she’s ever seen. Snapped this after we’d backed up to a safe distance while we waited for the poor guy to move along.

Also saw my dream ride at the trailhead. A classic convertible 4Runner.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

poo poo, good that you saw that rattler before getting too close. When my mom was younger she was bit by one and almost had to have her leg amputated since the doctor didn't initially believe it was from a rattler.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Went backpacking in Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park earlier this month. Here are some photos from the front country.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Poor guy was as surprised to see us as we were to see him. He coiled up and rattled just we backed up a couple steps before booking it into the brush

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did a long hike up in the Rawahs this weekend. Plan was to make a loop of sorts with some off trail travel, and that went pretty well. Really it all went pretty well other than the sky not being great (mostly pretty harshly sunny, a few wispy clouds but not enough to give a good sky look) and also slipping on approach to a waterfall and getting a gash in my hand. Good thing for that first aid kit.

Twin Crater Lakes, north side looking south. This was the first destination. Went up that saddle on the other side that you can see in the picture, along the right edge.

From the top of the saddle, looking south. I sat a while here and took pics with the wide angle before trying to analyze what terrain features I was trying to capture here. Decided it was the mountain ridges and lakes that were further out. The rock field nearer wasn't as interesting.

Soooo I swapped lenses to my 12-40 and started taking zoomed in shots. Lots, for a panorama combo later on. This was the result. Mind you this is the shrunk down version. The original dng file was something absurd like 48000x9800 pixels, and weighed 1.5gb. Think I'm gonna use that for some kind of big rear end print.

Unnamed lake southeast of the saddle.

Carey lake with Island lake in the backdrop.

Carey lake at the shore.

Island lake at the shore.

Island lake with the island showing.

Timber lake.

Waterfall coming off of Timber lake.

MARMOT

MOUNTAIN CHICKEN

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

anyone hike crater lake national park? i did a report on it in 4th grade and since then i always wanted to go there

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah it's pretty rad. Gotta go in the summer though cause it's snowed in a lot during the rest of the year.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
God drat it, I have to move back out west. I need scenery like that back in my life.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

siiiiiiiiiick

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Even when the weather wants me dead (there was a line of severe storms passing over the keys on this morning and a small craft advisory for offshore), this place is still gorgeous.

On the way back in, we had a double rainbow greet us (but I didn't get a pic :( )

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ll be driving from SF to Seattle next weekend and Crater Lake national park is on my visit list.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It may be a bit out of the most direct way but it’s worth it. Central Oregon is beautiful, Crater Lake doubly so.

Someday, I’ll drive the entirety of the Oregon coast to SF. Think you could take a week to do that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It may be a bit out of the most direct way but it’s worth it. Central Oregon is beautiful, Crater Lake doubly so.

Someday, I’ll drive the entirety of the Oregon coast to SF. Think you could take a week to do that.

I’m taking two days to get home so it’s ok.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Requesting ideas where to go next year between late May and late September. Looking for an area with decent lodging and good enough for about 5 days of hiking.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Have you hit the PNW yet? North Cascades and Olympic will definitely keep you busy that long.

Unrelated, here's yesterday afternoon. Did one from atop a rock above the lake with some zoom, and one at the shore at a wider angle. Not sure which I prefer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Not yet. What town should I stay out of visiting that area?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They're a couple hours away from each other. I'd go with something on the west side of North Cascades for that park, along hwy 20 like Rockport.

For Olympic you have a ton of options all around the peninsula. It's a BIG park. No central hub either, just lots of areas all around the peninsula to hit, from mountains to beach to rain forest.

No doubt some of the PNW goons can provide some more specific recommendations. I've only been up there twice, but would love to go back someday. (I was car camping both times too, so I don't have a clue on lodging.)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The Rat posted:

Have you hit the PNW yet? North Cascades and Olympic will definitely keep you busy that long.

Unrelated, here's yesterday afternoon. Did one from atop a rock above the lake with some zoom, and one at the shore at a wider angle. Not sure which I prefer.

Definitely the one from the rock. In the one from the shore you lose the island in the background.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Not yet. What town should I stay out of visiting that area?

The coastal region west of port Angeles is some of the most amazing seaside I’ve seen and I’ve been up and down the west coast. There’s some amazing sea caves and secluded beaches but takes a kayak or massive balls to approach.
The Makah nation is wretchedly poor so town in kinda depressing but the natural beauty of their land is second to none.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The coastal region west of port Angeles is some of the most amazing seaside I’ve seen and I’ve been up and down the west coast. There’s some amazing sea caves and secluded beaches but takes a kayak or massive balls to approach.
The Makah nation is wretchedly poor so town in kinda depressing but the natural beauty of their land is second to none.

Seconding this. If you can, the hike to Point Alava is really nice, and it's an interesting point of geography, being the westernmost point in the lower 48.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Definitely the one from the rock. In the one from the shore you lose the island in the background.

Ah yeah, I see what you mean. I was on the fence since those trees are a little in the way, and Waldo is so hard to find due to the distance. But yeah, the island is a lot more visible. Too bad for all the clouds that day, the plan was to hang out there till blue hour, but mission was aborted early from all the cloud cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LingcodKilla posted:

OK it was between Port Angeles and Forks. We both found a nice cabin in Forks to stay in, which puts up pretty central to most everything in the park.