Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Laranzu posted:

1660ti Hulu in chrome. It streamed the entirety of a movie perfectly fine after the lock too so it's not reproducible easily.

It might have been in the Ryzen Master gaming profile if there is any instability there. I'll either leave it stock or run 3900mhz @ 1.3625 in the future.

I need to reinstall Windows anyway because it's littered with all my testing software and weird RGB control software from messing around with all the terrible lights.
It's most likely memory. If you have XMP set, just up DRAM voltage around .03V higher than XMP sets it. That's probably around 1.38V for most 3200 kits.

It could have been the ryzen master profile, too. I'm not familiar with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Burno posted:

Forgive me for bringing this back up - its a couple pages back, but I did just get the newest ABBA bios and decided to try the 1.6.2 DRAM Calculator settings and I was able to tighten timings even further with lower voltage. It does seem like the CAD Bus resistances play a major part in that, so the timings and voltage seem to work, even though it might seem crazy.

Adding a bit: in the meanwhile I tried the settings from 1.6.2 on ABB and they didn't work as written, RAM just wouldn't POST. I installed ABBA yesterday but couldn't yet find the time to mess around with the settings.
I'm pretty sure the end result will, of course, depend on the individual stick of memory.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TorakFade posted:

Even then, some light usually bleeds out of the back, and if the back's against a white wall it can be quite visible in the dark. Less so under a desk.. really, it's no big deal, but if you want no lights at all you should be able to just turn them off and a hardware switch would be much better than having to install software (and not even that expensive for manufacturers I believe).

(my case is chock full of gaudy leds and on top of my desk :pcgaming: )

Fair. I'm also pretty light-tolerant, apparently? People complain about sleeping in our guest room because all the lights from the computer case and router are too much for them, but I'm just glad to have them when I get up to pee - don't want to step in the cat box on the way :haw:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does anyone know if/how all this BIOS boost fuckery AMD has been up to for Zen 2 affects Zen+ (2700X) in any way? Should I take a chance on ABBA?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

peepsalot posted:

Does anyone know if/how all this BIOS boost fuckery AMD has been up to for Zen 2 affects Zen+ (2700X) in any way? Should I take a chance on ABBA?

Supposedly AMD reverted the reduction in throttle temp so it should work fine but ymmv. For Zen/Zen+ users I don’t really see a compelling version to move off the last stable BIOS into Zen2 territory.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's very back and forth by the sound of it, with a compounding issue that AMD are trying to handle a situation where they're getting crap over misleading clocks in their marketing so who knows what corners they'll cut trying to appease people.

I'm on my last decent Zen+ version. It's like GPU drivers; if everything's working and running fine, there's no reason to upgrade.

Also all your settings get reset.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

peepsalot posted:

Should I take a chance on ABBA?

If you change your mind, i'm the first in line. Honey, I'm still free.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Khorne posted:

It's most likely memory. If you have XMP set, just up DRAM voltage around .03V higher than XMP sets it. That's probably around 1.38V for most 3200 kits.

It's the micron E die Crucial Ballistics Sport LT 2x16gb kit.

I bumped it to 1.38v.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

TSMC is having capacity problems with their 7nm process. I guess this could make it difficult for AMD to produce as many Zen 2 and rDNA chips as the need?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Those chips are already in production or scheduled to be. If anything, thats probably why the lead time increased.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

peepsalot posted:

The first few bios revisions after Ryzen 2 showed a performance regression for Ryzen and Ryzen +, haven’t heard much about how ABBA is for them. If everything is stable for you I’d just stay put.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, I finally got that computer with the Ryzen 3800 in it and, compared to the Phenom II, this thing is so wildly fast, I can't even believe it :aaaaa:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Still testing it out, so nothing definitive: But I think my Nvidia crashing issues might have been due to some weird Edge bug; the latest Canary build (bleeding-edge dev version) released today so far hasn't crashed. I'll update the thread as soon as I know more. And the Netflix app, weirdly, seems to crash only when Edge is running as well. Haven't gotten it to crash in conjunction with Chrome.

Probably best to switch back to Chrome for the moment, until Edge is further in development and more stable.

Of course, it's also possible I just got lucky so far.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 19, 2019

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Victory Position posted:

well, I finally got that computer with the Ryzen 3800 in it and, compared to the Phenom II, this thing is so wildly fast, I can't even believe it :aaaaa:

Oh it's not just the speed but rather all the poo poo you can load the CPU with and still have it feel fast.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Problem: Now my laptop with a Skylake i7-6600U (15 W TDP) feels even more slow as molasses.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Lambert posted:

Problem: Now my laptop with a Skylake i7-6600U (15 W TDP) feels even more slow as molasses.

I have a dell 7470 with i7-5600U. Its blazing fast compared to the T5500 core2duo laptop it replaced. So just go use a 13 year old PC for a bit.

Serious answer though, I had tried playing age of empires 2 after it was in sleep mode for a while. Game crawled. Rebooted it, and it went perfectly smooth. Might try that if you usually just close the lid on it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's a pretty thin 13" Asus Zenbook, so I think it's just thermally limited even at the low TDP it has. Shouldn't be dusty, because I opened it up about half a year ago to clean it.

Also, after many hours of testing (previously, crashes would happen about every 30 minutes), I'm now calling it: Edge Insider was the culprit. Whenever Edge was open, crashes would happen with Netflix playback. The latest Canary build seems to fix the issue, but I'm going back to Chrome until final release anyways. Too many bugs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Khorne posted:

Two days. No crashes. Think it was the XMP voltage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So apparently 3rd gen Threadrippers start at 24 cores.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel posted:

So apparently 3rd gen Threadrippers start at 24 cores.

yes please

Where is that info from?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

taqueso posted:

yes please

Where is that info from?

Direct from AMD.

Also, delayed to November.

https://pcper.com/2019/09/3950x-delayed-november-3rd-gen-threadripper/

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Base model at 24 cores? Hell yeah. The 3950X is already more expensive than the 2920X launch price, hopefully the 32C/64T model won't be more than $1,200.

I'm extremely horny for this release :mrgw:

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I have the perverse desire to put one in a SFF

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I know we keep expecting ASRock to make a Mini-ITX TR4 board, but what if and hear me out, ASRock makes a Mini-STX TR4 motherboard with an integrated GPU?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I know we keep expecting ASRock to make a Mini-ITX TR4 board, but what if and hear me out, ASRock makes a Mini-STX TR4 motherboard with an integrated GPU?

Couldn't we all save a lot of time and money if they just put ram slots and a CPU socket on the GPU? :smugbert:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I saw a mini-DTX board for Ryzen from Asus the other day. At this point, anything seems possible.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1174892806453649413

Microsoft Surface event is October 2nd.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I hear they fixed the power consumption woes on 2xxxU series chips too. These chips idle way lower than Raven Ridge did. Guess the desktop chips weren't the only ones to feel the benefits of a more refined boost algorithm.

Can't wait until AMD gets mobile onto 7nm, even with no Navi it's gonna be pretty great. I never thought about the power advantages of going monolithic for ULV chips, those off-chiplet serdes links are expensive in terms of power. If AMD stays monolithic (like raven ridge/picasso) then that keeps power even lower compared to desktop Zen2.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 21, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At the same time, it's still using Vega. I think they should have really pushed to get RDNA into these things for the PPW boost and decreased dependence on memory bandwidth, unless they're like... gonna slap a stack of HBM in there somewhere.

Please dear god, I just want something that's not loving HD 620/630 anymore! Like, I refuse to spend any amount of money on anything that has 620/630 silicon in it. Intel, HURRY THE gently caress UP.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Please dear god, I just want something that's not loving HD 620/630 anymore! Like, I refuse to spend any amount of money on anything that has 620/630 silicon in it. Intel, HURRY THE gently caress UP.
Has Intel ever delivered good integrated graphics?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Budzilla posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-10nm-ice-lake-test-benchmarks,6257.html

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Budzilla posted:

Like, Iris graphics, but those involved embedding DRAM into the chip, are loving expensive AF, and Intel has just been sitting around with their thumbs up their asses milking the poo poo out of their old silicon.

You know, like goddamn everything else they did for the past five years.

Have some wholly unscientific, but still demonstrative benchmark results pulled from PCWorld's database comparing old and current Intel iGPUs to Ice Lake.

chart source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3429657/intel-gen-11-graphics-improvement-in-10th-gen-ice-lake-cpu.html

Except we're almost at the end of September, and I ain't seen poo poo yet.

Like I am angry. I intended to get my brother a new laptop before he had to go back to teaching, but there ain't poo poo out there in the thin-and-light market that's worth my time.

Like, if there were an Ice Lake refresh of the LG Gram, and I don't have to wait until January for that, I'd be all over that poo poo for him.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 21, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At the same time, it's still using Vega. I think they should have really pushed to get RDNA into these things for the PPW boost and decreased dependence on memory bandwidth, unless they're like... gonna slap a stack of HBM in there somewhere.

It's real weird, the only obvious reason to use Vega would be because they don't want to backport RDNA because they're putting the gpu on the IO die but chiplet designs don't seem to scale well once you get down to ~15W.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Arzachel posted:

It's real weird, the only obvious reason to use Vega would be because they don't want to backport RDNA because they're putting the gpu on the IO die but chiplet designs don't seem to scale well once you get down to ~15W.
The IO die, and x570 chipset by association of being the IO die hastily hacked to be a motherboard chipset, are really unoptimized. They work great and do their thing, but they could be significantly more efficient.

It's unclear if they will move to IO die on mobile or not when the zen2 mobile chips drop next year. I'm surprised Microsoft went with it. I thought this would be a surface change when zen2 hit.

The vega IGPU trades blows with the ice lake IGPU. For desktop tasks they're both great, and for gaming it depends on the game which comes out ahead.I haven't seen productivity benchmarks. It's a big achievement for Intel to catch up and even slightly surpass AMD's igpu.

Ice Lake's CPU performs better. Not much to say there. Zen+ getting beat by an architecture with better IPC than zen2 isn't surprising.

The 3xxx series mobile chips are way cheaper than ice lake and perform close enough. That might be why microsoft went with them. Judging by ice lake laptop prices, it's a massive difference in price for negligible performance difference.

For RDNA, AMD struggled to get it out the door on desktop. We'll see what happens with the 4XXX series. There were some rumors it will still be Vega.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 21, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Like I am angry. I intended to get my brother a new laptop before he had to go back to teaching, but there ain't poo poo out there in the thin-and-light market that's worth my time.

Like, if there were an Ice Lake refresh of the LG Gram, and I don't have to wait until January for that, I'd be all over that poo poo for him.

There are plenty of amazing thin and lights, I dunno what you're waiting for. Ice Lake is gonna be a decent speed bump but the IGP is still worse than an MX150. If you're waiting for an ultrabook that can do current games at 1080p, you're gonna be waiting forever. Get your bro a laptop, be a bro.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There are plenty of amazing thin and lights, I dunno what you're waiting for. Ice Lake is gonna be a decent speed bump but the IGP is still worse than an MX150. If you're waiting for an ultrabook that can do current games at 1080p, you're gonna be waiting forever. Get your bro a laptop, be a bro.

Won't be waiting that long at all; the 3.2 pound blade stealth with a 1650 should be out in a few months.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Especially because comments like that get made whenever news of a new processor or GPU or whatever comes out. Technology is always getting better. If you need something, buy something. If you don't need something, don't buy something.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

VorpalFish posted:

Won't be waiting that long at all; the 3.2 pound blade stealth with a 1650 should be out in a few months.

Well let's hold out for the thermals on that one, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

edit: tbh I'm not sure I understand the market segment that wants to play Control at 20 fps on a 13" display and is willing to spend two grand to do it, but it'll be super cool if they pull it off.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 21, 2019

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well let's hold out for the thermals on that one, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

edit: tbh I'm not sure I understand the market segment that wants to play Control at 20 fps on a 13" display and is willing to spend two grand to do it, but it'll be super cool if they pull it off.

I'm the market segment; I'm willing to do medium settings, but the blade 14 I have now is big enough that it annoys me.

I want something that I can game on, use comfortably in bed, bring with me wherever and whenever without thinking about it and I'm willing to pay what that combination of portability and power costs. It's a niche market for sure, but it does exist.

Edit: since this is the amd thread, I was also hoping for a hypothetical 14cu navi / zen2 based apu with hbm that could fill the ultralight gaming niche as well, but it doesn't seem likely that that's going to exist :(

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Remember too that MS's surface event is going to be on the 2nd and current rumor is the surface laptop is going AMD.

Edit: Thought I was in the laptop thread and didn't realize the surface rumor is what launched this current line of discussion.