Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My favorite character from the last movie was, for whatever reason, Diablo and they killed him. So whatever. I failed to see the last two DCEU movies. Hopefully John Cena will help break the chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

My favorite character from the last movie was, for whatever reason, Diablo and they killed him. So whatever. I failed to see the last two DCEU movies. Hopefully John Cena will help break the chain.

You can never break the chain

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You can never break the chain

Never break the chain.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SonicRulez posted:

If you don't love the DCEU now, then you will never love it again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shazam is worth a watch

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

He apparently shaved his head for it. Maybe Freeze?

Obviously Capaldi is playing noted Suicide Squad member The Writer, aka Grant Morrison.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Kind of a cool thread on Stan Lee's MCU appearances - I wasn't aware of the subtle nods in the TV shows:

https://twitter.com/historyofthemcu/status/1171929117673041921?s=21

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/birdsofpreywb/status/1173990046237519874

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Warner Bros Animation Group Plans Funko Film Based On Collectible Figures

:barf:

Hopefully this hastens Funko's demise somehow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think they spent all the magic on lego movie 1 and lego batman 1

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lego Movie 2 was fine. My biggest problem is we know that this is kids playing with legos, so you're thinking the whole time "how is this happening in the real world?".

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Couldn't they have at least made the tiny characters cast shadows on Harley's face, or lowered the DPI on them to make it look like they belong in the same picture as Harley? Right now, they just look like cut-outs pasted on top of a flat image of Harley. Which they are, of course, but they shouldn't look better.

Even Sony Pictures wouldn't put out a poster this ugly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They wouldn't cast a shadow because they are figments like when you see birds flying around someone's head in a cartoon

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They wouldn't cast a shadow because they are figments like when you see birds flying around someone's head in a cartoon

Yeah I thought this was obvious.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

It's just that the photo was taken during Lahaina Noon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah I thought this was obvious.
indeed.
Im baffled people say is a bad photoshop when it was clearly done on purpose. :shrug:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

e: Nevermind, actually. Arguing over a little poster isn't worth the time for any of us.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 18, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The movie is about her debunking the Cottingley Fairies once and for... and this time, it's personal.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That's always going to be a horrible poster because the birds go AROUND the head, so you're either going to need some glamor shots from odd angles, or you're going to have to lean into two-dimensionality and have them rotate around her as flat images.

It would totally work if you wanted to spend time and money on it but that'd never happen.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

wdarkk posted:

That's always going to be a horrible poster because the birds go AROUND the head, so you're either going to need some glamor shots from odd angles, or you're going to have to lean into two-dimensionality and have them rotate around her as flat images.

It would totally work if you wanted to spend time and money on it but that'd never happen.

Clients always want everything NOW ,a lot have terrible taste and some are dumb as hell, so you reach a moment where you truly dont give a poo poo and design crap. I guess the same happens in the poster industry.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Shame you can barely make out the actual Birds of Prey on their own poster, but not surprising.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Oh okay then

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a29152875/joker-joaquin-phoenix-interview-walkout/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ.

Do we want to start placing bets on the number of shootings by Incels in clown makeup we're going to endure?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The same number as if the movie didn't exist.

Movies and video games and DnD and that devil music don't cause violence.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given that Joker's whole shtick in TDK was "I'm not making people evil, I'm just giving them an excuse" this feels like a really weird conversation to have.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The modern day cather in the rye

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ.

Do we want to start placing bets on the number of shootings by Incels in clown makeup we're going to endure?

Depends if they listen to heavy metal and play video games. Then we reach the holy trifecta.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aphrodite posted:

The same number as if the movie didn't exist.

Movies and video games and DnD and that devil music don't cause violence.

Yeah everyone knows its just books that cause violence

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
A Joker shot up a screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Would he have just shot up a different place on a different day if he hadn't been so inspired by Ledger's performance? Probably. But that's part of the radicalization process, people that already have that energy being given an excuse and or a direction to aim it.
The problem isn't that the movie has a bad guy in it, most movies do, but most movies drive home that they're the bad guy and that even if they're sympathetic you know they're wrong and their actions are bad. This movie has a Villain as the protagonist so if the film is going to make things clear it's got its work cut out for it. I'm sure I'll see it, I've always loved the Joker, but Phoenix's response to a simple question hasn't filled me with confidence that the subject matter will be handled with any understanding of the bigger picture.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Again, the dude who shot up the Aurora screening was not dressed as the Joker and wasn’t using the film as inspiration, that whole thing originated with some cop saying he looked like Joker in an interview afterward. IIRC he didn’t even pick the DKR screening for any reason other than that’s what was playing at the time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Having to go "This was bad because" is some 1950's Hays Code stuff.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

A Joker shot up a screening of The Dark Knight Rises. Would he have just shot up a different place on a different day if he hadn't been so inspired by Ledger's performance? Probably. But that's part of the radicalization process, people that already have that energy being given an excuse and or a direction to aim it.
The problem isn't that the movie has a bad guy in it, most movies do, but most movies drive home that they're the bad guy and that even if they're sympathetic you know they're wrong and their actions are bad. This movie has a Villain as the protagonist so if the film is going to make things clear it's got its work cut out for it. I'm sure I'll see it, I've always loved the Joker, but Phoenix's response to a simple question hasn't filled me with confidence that the subject matter will be handled with any understanding of the bigger picture.

The problem is that you're repeating an urban myth:

https://www.denverpost.com/2015/09/18/meyer-the-james-holmes-joker-rumor/

quote:

The New York Times compounded the error in the initial reports by saying “witnesses told the police that Mr. Holmes said something to the effect of ‘I am the Joker,’ according to a federal law enforcement official.”

“It is not true,” said George Brauchler, the 18th Judicial District attorney, who prosecuted the case.

“It is ridiculous,” he said. “Completely unfounded. Some of this stuff. … It gets repeated by so many sources by people doing their research that it just becomes real.”

Investigators heard no witness talking about the Joker, he said. And no police officer claimed Holmes called himself the Joker.

Brauchler said his team decided “not to push the issue” in trial because “we didn’t feel we needed to.” Their job was to convict Holmes and seek the death penalty, not to set the record straight.

“The Dark Knight Rises” was simply a blockbuster opening at the time that Holmes had determined that he wanted to commit the crime, Brauchler said.

“If it had been ‘The Avengers,’ he would have been there,” he said. “If it were ‘Jurassic World,’ he would have been there. It had nothing to do that we can find with Batman.”

No evidence suggests Holmes had a Batman obsession.

Holmes told a psychiatrist he dyed his hair red because “red suggests bravery.”

The Joker, by the way, has green hair.

This whole worldview of movies or comics or games influencing politics in this manner that many idiot centrists are panicking about is, ironically, an intensely right wing and fascist view. Politics are not downstream from culture, the opposite is true.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this is a lot like how people thought the guy who shot reagan was inspired by travis bickle but he was actually just a creep who was in love with jodie foster

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I used to think that people asking for a Batman Beyond movie were barking up the wrong tree, because as much as I love that show it was kind of a of-the-moment flash of brilliance that has never really been done proper justice to outside of the DCAU

but if this Joker movie does really inspire a generation of dumbass teens then someone needs to fast track it, and there needs to be a scene where Terry spanks a gang out of Jokerz with comedic ease

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

this is a lot like how people thought the guy who shot reagan was inspired by travis bickle but he was actually just a creep who was in love with jodie foster

I mean, Jodie Foster is a drat fine woman.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

History would vindicate this man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I mean, Jodie Foster is a drat fine woman.

He was in love with her from her role in Taxi Driver.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Here's a hill I will die on: the only think Hinckley did wrong was not be a better shot.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Everybody, he stalked a woman for months, moved to Connecticut to creep after her when she went to college, and slid incredibly ghoulish poems and letters under her door, I can't believe I have to say this but John Hinckley was not cool and he was not shooting at Reagan for woke or even coherent reasons. He'd intended to shoot Carter but dilly dallied too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Tony Hawk did a 1080 kick flip nose ollie for evil reasons it would still be a good trick