Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Wrong voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Do you think that "imperialism and globalisation homogenised patriarchal cultures across the world" is an insufficient/less likely explanation so much so that "all men are sexists as newborns" is more plausible?
perhaps the answer is somewhere... in the middle

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Men are indeed all absolutely poo poo, including especially me; but it's fine because it's not biological, it's cultural and as such,

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I agree, thank you all for talking. The most powerful tool an individual has is thier voice.

Unless they're quoting Bob Hawke.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

John Setka is a good union leader and trying to hound him out is a very good way to further cripple the already moribund labour movement.

But hey at least the political wing of the movement is still going strong

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh yeah so the MUA WA disassociated themselves from Unions WA aka the only trades and labour peak body in the state over that loving disaster of a state ALP conference, which is extra spicy because Unions WA and the ALP are entirely seperate entities in tyool 2019, making Christy Caine's decision to take his bat and ball and go home an absolutely loving galaxy brain decision, my boy.

When even the union movement can't even loving work together because pissy old men get offended that maybe having a second container port is more important than defending the fragile sensibilities of a bunch of other old men who might need to drive an extra 15 minutes to work, then what the gently caress hope do the ALP themselves ever have of not publically making GBS threads themselves every day ending with y.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

BBJoey posted:

John Setka is a good union leader and trying to hound him out is a very good way to further cripple the already moribund labour movement.

But hey at least the political wing of the movement is still going strong

Roman Polanski made some excellent cinema, furthermore

I mean yeah absolutely he is, but he's also the gift that keeps on giving to the Libs, and, y'know, a loving misogynistic abuser.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Whitlam posted:

Roman Polanski made some excellent cinema, furthermore

I mean yeah absolutely he is, but he's also the gift that keeps on giving to the Libs, and, y'know, a loving misogynistic abuser.

What was Setka's Rosemary's Baby?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I wonder if I’ll ever stop parsing ‘mua’ as ‘makeup artist’

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BBJoey posted:

John Setka is a good union leader

And a misogynistic rear end in a top hat who should be fired into the sun. Like.... this isnt even disputable anymore, he's got far too many comments on tape and a conviction. It's 2019 and we drat well should demand people in leadership to not be 1950's throwbacks.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Men are indeed all absolutely poo poo, including especially me; but it's fine because it's not biological, it's cultural and as such,

it's true, you are absolutely poo poo

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And a misogynistic rear end in a top hat who should be fired into the sun. Like.... this isnt even disputable anymore, he's got far too many comments on tape and a conviction. It's 2019 and we drat well should demand people in leadership to not be 1950's throwbacks.

normally I would agree but the stakes are just too high now that the libs have made it clear that getting rid of him would trigger a whole new (new (new)) wave of further unionbusting

it's more important to protect the union movement as a whole than it is to get rid of one epic freaking twatnozzle or whatever, he can be quietly shuffled off sometime down the road but you just cannot give the liberal party even half an inch on this no matter how clever their wedges are

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why is the Coalition telling big biz to gently caress off all of a sudden.

Why is Albanese the one siding with big biz when the Coalition tells them to gently caress off?

Why

Why
Whyyyyy

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Why is Albanese the one siding with big biz when the Coalition tells them to gently caress off?

Why

Why
Whyyyyy

No the question you should be asking is "then who the gently caress do they represent", because it's sure as not working people, women, the disabled, farmers, or anyone who stands to lose out in a recession...

Is it culture warrior idiots? Specific party donors? Rupert Murdoch? Self-funded retirees?

I feel like a real opposition party should be scoring hit after hit on these weirdos but naaaahhhh better let em do their thing aye.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You know the Fox News "union guy"? And how he is the American right's stereotype of the scary unions.

Well I reckon Setka is the Australian version of that bloke. He is a provably rapey/gropey/sexually harrassy toxic masculinity thug who is only interested in his position of power in the Union administration hierarchy actively trying to hamper productivity

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well I reckon Setka is the Australian version of that bloke. He is a provably rapey/gropey/sexually harrassy toxic masculinity thug who is only interested in his position of power in the Union administration hierarchy actively trying to hamper productivity

I assume you are saying that this is what the liberal party would have people believe rather than the actual truth of the matter

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

You know the Fox News "union guy"? And how he is the American right's stereotype of the scary unions.

Heh, get a load of this idiot so-called "leftist" who missed the memo that actually those traits are actually, in fact, cool and good and fine if you're halfway decent at your job.

Serious post: a small number of posters ITT actually have extremely unhealthy attitudes to women, and speaking particularly as a union woman, it's loving gross and shouldn't be tolerated. At all. If the moral argument doesn't move you then consider the pragmatic that this poo poo is exactly the kind of thing that keeps women away from the union movement, and from sharing stories of abuse. Setka isn't the only qualified person in the world to run the CFMMEU, and if he genuinely gave a poo poo about the union movement he'd gently caress off for a few years and endorse someone who's not an abusive, misogynistic prick, even if it's someone under his control who he'd be able to influence from behind the scenes.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

at least there's a loving union movement around currently for women to be turned off from, if you give the libs even one single inch it won't be long before we don't even have that

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

wait, why am i responding to whit "the word bum is culturally appropriating from the ALP and also i uncritically believe everything fairfax says about the greens" lam

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I'm uncertain how keeping him around is somehow a defense against the Libs? Doesn't have a major creep clinging on to a powerful position kinda give them MORE offensive options/"justifications" to go about busting unions?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

meteor9 posted:

I'm uncertain how keeping him around is somehow a defense against the Libs? Doesn't have a major creep clinging on to a powerful position kinda give them MORE offensive options/"justifications" to go about busting unions?

it sets a precedent for caving in to these cynical demands, you do it once and then you've made it a lot harder to resist whatever "pro-women" pretexts are found for other, more genuinely damaging poo poo

if you don't cave in then the moral pressure on you is only as strong as you allow it to be, particularly because I don't think there's a single person in the entire country that thinks the liberals are doing this out of any genuine concern for women

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

it's exactly the same kind of cowardly "we need to give them what they want or else we're just giving them ammunition to use against us" move that the democrats in the US have been making for years/decades(?) and that this thread is normally pretty good at detecting when it comes to refugee/national security policy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

meteor9 posted:

stop engaging with the Gen X tankie

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

oh for sure dude

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

setka can gently caress off but that might have been the worst post of 2019 so far itt

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Union power is the only good thing Australia has over the US besides healthcare.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I reckon not having assault rifles everywhere is fuckin grouse. Also heaps of other stuff/almost everything else including not being America

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I can think of at least a few countries as good as if not better than Australia across a wide range of metrics bc I’m not a flag drenched numpty but America is not one of em

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

every day i wake up and face towards john setka before commencing my morning thanksgivings for unions

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Lid posted:

stop engaging with the Gen X tankie

if you’re talking about me I’m neither gen X nor a tankie, sorry :(

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm really sorry if I came across as pro-Libs, or anti-Union in that post. I didn't mean to.

My point was that Setka is/looks like he came straight out of central casting as "Union thug"

Also that he is a proven sexual harrasser, and having him in a position of authority is bad. Also that gives the anti-Union Libs something to point at and go "Look, there is one sex-pest in a prominent position in the Unions/Labor party. Therefore they all are, and they are all bad. So we are justified in smashing them and bringing back WorkChoices." Which is also bad.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember pre-election when Albanese gave that speech about working with big business and people tried to explain how he wasn't a poo poo.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Remember pre-election when Albanese gave that speech about working with big business and people tried to explain how he wasn't a poo poo.

the only way I want to "work with" big business is in the same way a blacksmith "works with" metal. i.e. beating it into submission

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Anidav, burn your card again.

Sneerg eht nioj

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I reckon not having assault rifles everywhere is fuckin grouse. Also heaps of other stuff/almost everything else including not being America

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
green good and red bad

its basic economics

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ugh

Uggggh

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Unions self-policing shitheads like Setka out is a point against Liberals' "outlaw Unions" bullshit

Setka hanging on to power despite it all only helps the Coalition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Anidav posted:

Why

Why
Whyyyyy

The coalition still loves big business, you need to read these articles. What's pissing the coalition off is that more and more corporations are making public statements on social issues e.g. Rugby Australia telling Israel Folau to get hosed, or companies pulling their ads from Alan Jones. It's all culture war poo poo. They're not going to start taxing corporations more they just want them to shut up about climate change being real or gays being human.
And to be a bit less cynical, divestment from fossil fuels is a movement that's getting a decent amount of traction around the world, they're probably terrified that all their big donor mining buddies might have less cash to splash around.