Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Never had meat waved in my face but if you so much as order a vegetarian option at an omnivorous restaurant there’s a good chance an acquaintance will need to either start cracking not-at-all tired jokes or even better, try to debate you about how actually vegetarians are dumb and you are a hypocrite because you also use soap or whatever.

You need to hang around less lovely people. If I ever order veg or vegan nobody says anything, because we are adults. People eat less meat for lots of reasons, dietary restrictions, moral reasons, weight control, religious observances. If you are around people that feel the need to debate your choices about food (meat eater or vegetarian), you need to :sever: Because gently caress that hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

You need to hang around less lovely people. If I ever order veg or vegan nobody says anything, because we are adults. People eat less meat for lots of reasons, dietary restrictions, moral reasons, weight control, religious observances. If you are around people that feel the need to debate your choices about food (meat eater or vegetarian), you need to :sever: Because gently caress that hassle.

Yeah, my biggest reaction to a vegetarian reminding me that they don't eat meat has been "oh, that's right, sorry"

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just have way more empathy for vegetarians/vegans since i respect the fact that they actually changed their behavior based on their principles, and arent just coming up with excuses not to change (like most of the people who get pissy at them speaking up)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
like yeah there's no objective net positive in the world from eating meat, in fact yeah we can all definitively say that eating meat is pretty clearly causing harm to the planet. does that mean im going to stop eating meat? no because of various reasons (that arent really even that good)

does that mean i need to rationalize my behavior by attacking the people who made a decision and are doing less harm than me? also no, because projecting your insecurities on to other people is what loving children do

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
but gently caress it, if you've decided to have weird baggage about vegans/vegetarians than fine whatever, im just some random goon on a dead gay comedy forum who cant change that

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I invited people over for a bbq and one of the guys informed me he was a vegetarian.

So I got vegetarian baked beans instead of the normal kind and got a few other things without meat. He also brought vegan ribs that turned out to actually be really good and everyone had a great meal. There was also meat, but he just didn't eat it.

There was no drama and everyone had a great time, because we're adults who don't care what others eat, but are happy to accommodate.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kanine posted:

but gently caress it, if you've decided to have weird baggage about vegans/vegetarians than fine whatever, im just some random goon on a dead gay comedy forum who cant change that

Like I don’t really have a dog in this fight, I’ve known wonderful people and lovely people on both sides of that conversation, but you are the one triple-posting about it...

My current pet peeve are speed limits. I get it, but it’s a wide open highway and it’s bone dry outside, why aren’t we going 85

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing that to a vegetarian/vegan, internet anecdotes notwithstanding. I have had personal experience with preachy and militant vegans (one even vehemently refused my Thanksgiving invitation because I dared to serve meat). They also tend to be pretty preachy about anything they feel they are in the right about. Two of them were also antivaxxers.

Vegetarians are just clearly right: meat is the murder of innocent animals and bad in every way. There's really no arguing with it, they are correct and others are in denial.

I eat meat like once a week, down from once a day when I was a kid, but it's hard to cut that final bit when there's things like serrano ham and omi beef out there and you grew up with meat. But life is not easy and we're alienated from the way meat is produced in such a way that makes it difficult to recognize it for what it is and what it does, same as with smoking or any other addiction really.

The way I see it the best way to get people to stop eating so much meat is to get them off lovely meat first, since it's the kind that's produced in bulk and under the worst circumstances. Things like tasteless bits of supermarket chicken, processed sausages, things that taste bad. Get people to develop a taste for more natural types of meat first and they might reject the cheap bulk poo poo and eat meat less overall since the cheap stuff is not worth it when you know what it's supposed to taste like.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

MightyJoe36 posted:

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing that to a vegetarian/vegan, internet anecdotes notwithstanding. I have had personal experience with preachy and militant vegans (one even vehemently refused my Thanksgiving invitation because I dared to serve meat). They also tend to be pretty preachy about anything they feel they are in the right about. Two of them were also antivaxxers.

I only know two vegans as far as I know and they switched because of health concerns. Doctors supposedly couldn't help even after extensive testing, but their crystal lady (I don't know what this kind of person is typically called, but she deals with power crystal bullshit) recommended going vegan and try alkaline water. So they spent thousands of dollars on an alkaline water setup for their tap water and went vegan and the dude is in much better health now. Weird how cutting out 99% of fast food results in better health! Unfortunately this alkaline water crap sent them down a weird road and now they're also antivaxxers. Big time Trump supporters too. These were two of our closest friends for a long time but now we can barely hang out without getting into pretty heated arguments.

My wife and I eat meat, get vaccinations/boosters as necessary, do not buy into psuedoscience bullshit, and are mostly liberal in our politics. It's kind of heart breaking but I imagine it's not that uncommon for groups of friends to grow apart as they get older and start having opinions on things instead of just getting shitfaced together every weekend.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

All this talk of eating vegetarian reminded me of one of my peeves: I really hate the poo poo people will give you for being male and ordering a salad as a meal. It's like it activates this really lovely nexus of misogyny, toxic masculinity, and homophobia in some people's minds, and they just can't help but judge your sexual orientation because they see you eating greens.

Edit: For clarity

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Sep 18, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I once tried vegetarian but he was far too lean so wasn't very satisfying to bite into.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chip McFuck posted:

All this talk of eating vegetarian reminded me of one of my peeves: I really hate the poo poo people will give you for being male and ordering a salad as a meal. It's like it activates this really lovely nexus of misogyny, toxic masculinity, and homophobia in some people's minds, and they just can't help but judge your sexual orientation because they see you eating greens.

Edit: For clarity

I have experienced this, which is super weird because I have barbecue and beer and all that poo poo that's supposedly masculine, but the moment I want some roughage so I can physically manage to take a poo poo I'm gay? Okay, enjoy your hour-long beef shits, real men.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate when you've accidentally created a supernaturally-strong vacuum at the bottom of a garbage can by trying to take out the garbage-filled bag. It seems the only option is to basically flail about trying to get it out (by yourself or with some equally-unlucky sod), wondering why nobody has invented some sort of small device that would push a puff of air back into the drat thing. Like how there's canned air for blowing dust off PCs and poo poo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hate when I try to look up a business and click their website (especially a restaurant) and their operating hours are not front and loving center.

Look, you idiot businesspeople, what are people probably looking up your lovely website for? If you're a restaurant: menu and operating hours. What can I eat, and when can I eat it. FRONT and CENTER.

Don't make me dig through your lovely website to find what time you open and especially don't make me call you to find out. If I wanted to ask a real human this information, I wouldn't have turned to Google first. And speaking of Google, yeah Google often has your operating hours front and center on the results but I don't know how accurate that is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I have experienced this, which is super weird because I have barbecue and beer and all that poo poo that's supposedly masculine, but the moment I want some roughage so I can physically manage to take a poo poo I'm gay? Okay, enjoy your hour-long beef shits, real men.

That reminds me, there was about a year where I was fully vegan except once a week me and buddy would get shitfaced at a bar after our longest college lab and I'd eat either a burger or a bunch of wings. 1. Man those weekly meat shits after a diet of mostly plants were a real good remind to eat a vegetable or take your metamucil, drat.

2. It was amazing how annoyed my friends would get at my choice to do that. Like, I don't see anyone claiming that you must either cycle everywhere or buy a coal-rolling truck, no in betweens or you're a hypocrite, but by god we gotta make sure all the vegans are perfect.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I hate when you've accidentally created a supernaturally-strong vacuum at the bottom of a garbage can by trying to take out the garbage-filled bag. It seems the only option is to basically flail about trying to get it out (by yourself or with some equally-unlucky sod), wondering why nobody has invented some sort of small device that would push a puff of air back into the drat thing. Like how there's canned air for blowing dust off PCs and poo poo.

Why aren't there just a few small holes at the bottom of garbage bins?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Kanine posted:

vegetarians/vegans have to deal with a relatively strong, regular background noise of people being assholes to them about their personal choices. so it balances out with any statistical outliers of vegetarians/vegans being outwardly pushy about their beliefs.

the likelihood of you encountering a preachy vegetarian/vegan is a lot lower than a vegan dealing with an rear end in a top hat who thinks they're funny waving raw meat in their face or something.

Right on the money. I actually kind of admire people who stick to their principals. Speaking of which, do vegans/vegetarians also have cheat days like the rest of us?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Midig posted:

Speaking of which, do vegans/vegetarians also have cheat days like the rest of us?

When I go to the chinese buffet I will have one (1) chicken ball as a treat. But, I also am a vegetarian for environmental rather than ethical reasons, so I figure takigg a tiny dent out of meat that's already been bought and cooked isn't the greatest crime I could commit

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Shibawanko posted:

So they don't leak garbage juice on your floor?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Midig posted:

Right on the money. I actually kind of admire people who stick to their principals. Speaking of which, do vegans/vegetarians also have cheat days like the rest of us?

I'm vegan and only really cheat when moving/traveling. After hauling a furniture down a few flights of stairs and driving for ten hours, I'm not really in the mood to refuse a slice of pizza or something. Or, if you're in another country and theres a language barrier at a restaurant, it's a lot easier to order to point to something on the menu than it is to try and ascertain if there is any animal products in it.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Sep 18, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

I've seen them on some bins, but gently caress if it actually helps at all. :(

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I cut the entire bottom out of my bin and flipped it over so it's basically just a frame for holding bags and it's way easier. Instead of lifting the bag out, I can just lift the bin up and away from the bag.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Counterpoint: salad is not a meal unless it's one of those "salads" that's really just a pile of protein on top of a couple of lettuce leaves (which is usually the best thing to order if you're trying to lose weight). Greens may seem to fill you up now, but the snack you eat two hours later more than negates any health benefits from your lunch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lavaca posted:

Counterpoint: salad is not a meal unless it's one of those "salads" that's really just a pile of protein on top of a couple of lettuce leaves (which is usually the best thing to order if you're trying to lose weight). Greens may seem to fill you up now, but the snack you eat two hours later more than negates any health benefits from your lunch.

crazy fact: people eat multiple meals in a day and some wild folks understand things like portion control and "waiting until dinner instead of gorging as soon as they feel slightly hungry."

others even eat small, macro-appropriate snacks to stave off annoying hunger, and then eat a smaller meal later!

source: i lift successfully, eat a leafy salad with next-to-no protein BUT WITH a huge splash of fatty dressing almost every day for lunch, but get 140g of protein a day, while vegetarian. and somehow make gains even at my manlet height without getting fat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The word "salad" is meaningless. Grated cabbage? Salad. Pasta? Salad. Sausages and onions? Salad. Assorted fruits? Salad. Mayonnaise and marshmallows? Salad. Cheese and jelly? Salad. Everything's a salad.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sure, but when people are referring to "A Salad" you usually know that involved a plate of leafy greens plus other stuff.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it pissed me off when someone obviously hates fat people but tries to cloak it behind "oh i just care about their health bloo hoo"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

So they don't leak garbage juice on your floor?

They don't need to be at the very bottom, just a few cm up would be enough to prevent the stupid vacuum garbage bag stuff

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i get loving fruit flies in the tomatoes i bought the day before yesterday gently caress this

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kanine posted:

when i get loving fruit flies in the tomatoes i bought the day before yesterday gently caress this

I loving feel you. I tried for like twenty minutes today while I was doing dishes to will myself to kill them telepathically but no dice

I made a trap instead but it probably won’t work

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

crazy fact: people eat multiple meals in a day and some wild folks understand things like portion control and "waiting until dinner instead of gorging as soon as they feel slightly hungry."

others even eat small, macro-appropriate snacks to stave off annoying hunger, and then eat a smaller meal later!

source: i lift successfully, eat a leafy salad with next-to-no protein BUT WITH a huge splash of fatty dressing almost every day for lunch, but get 140g of protein a day, while vegetarian. and somehow make gains even at my manlet height without getting fat.

You are a tiny minority. As evidence, I submit any corporate lunch room in America.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I loving feel you. I tried for like twenty minutes today while I was doing dishes to will myself to kill them telepathically but no dice

I made a trap instead but it probably won’t work

what usually works for me is just mixing vinegar with a little bit of dish soap and leaving that out in a cup

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shibawanko posted:

Vegetarians are just clearly right: meat is the murder of innocent animals and bad in every way. There's really no arguing with it, they are correct and others are in denial.

I eat meat like once a week, down from once a day when I was a kid, but it's hard to cut that final bit when there's things like serrano ham and omi beef out there and you grew up with meat. But life is not easy and we're alienated from the way meat is produced in such a way that makes it difficult to recognize it for what it is and what it does, same as with smoking or any other addiction really.

The way I see it the best way to get people to stop eating so much meat is to get them off lovely meat first, since it's the kind that's produced in bulk and under the worst circumstances. Things like tasteless bits of supermarket chicken, processed sausages, things that taste bad. Get people to develop a taste for more natural types of meat first and they might reject the cheap bulk poo poo and eat meat less overall since the cheap stuff is not worth it when you know what it's supposed to taste like.

Sounds like a King of the Hill episode.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Online retailers that make you register an account and go to checkout to find out their delivery costs. gently caress you.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Online retailers that make you register an account and go to checkout to find out their delivery costs. gently caress you.

(Which also leads them to sending you like half a dozen HEY YOU FORGOT ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT! HEY DID YOU FORGET ABOUT US? HEY IF YOU STOP IGNORING US WE'LL GIVE YOU A TRIVIAL DISCOUNT! emails. And auto-sign you up to every email-advertisement subscription they have.)

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I hate people who smoke in public places in general but I ESPECIALLY hate people who smoke at bus stops. I don't want to inhale your poo poo while I wait for the bus, gently caress off

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when people smoke when it's damp out like in the rain or on a humid day, because the smoke just gets caught in the moisture and sticks around all day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

My roommate and I use a laundry hamper in the kitchen similar to this:

Except ours has a hinged lid, just put a 30 gallon trash bag in that bitch and call it good. The only downside is that occasionally when there's a lot of bulky poo poo it'll catch on the holes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cigarettes make me gag but I love the smell of fresh secondhand smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Butt Detective posted:

I hate people who smoke in public places in general but I ESPECIALLY hate people who smoke at bus stops. I don't want to inhale your poo poo while I wait for the bus, gently caress off

On the bright side, the bus is guaranteed to come the instant one of those people lights up their cigarette.