Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
And I got a copy of this, thanks to this thread:

I'm gonna read that next week on my first vacation in a year in a half, along with one of these, which I learned about from an ad in some old right-wing magazine, almost certainly Soldier of Fortune:

Hawkwind & Hawker. I'll have get a novelization of Over the Top to fill out the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wonder what happens when they start running out of major cities?

Wilkes-Barre Wipeout
Stroudsburg Showdown
Pflugerville Pflare-up
Terror in Terre Haute
Raritan Run-Around
Sheboygan Shenanigans

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The weird and wonderful world of book.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I picked up another volume in the old hobo series by A-No.1, the world's most famous tramp:

:eyepop: So what you're trying to say is that Emperor of the North Pole was a documentary?!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:eyepop: So what you're trying to say is that Emperor of the North Pole was a documentary?!

No, just a terrible movie despite having an awesome premise and the combined star power of Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine!

How it was possible for someone to make a boring movie about A-No.1 is one of the greatest mysteries of all time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Another big gay pulp grab-bag :v:

Cover art quality varies in this one, unfortunately; I just had to include CARNAL URGES when I found it, though, because it is just the most blandly 80s thing imaginable.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Pastry of the Year posted:

Another big gay pulp grab-bag :v:

Holy poo poo they're going to kill him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, man, are those last two gay erotic thrillers? I hadn't even realized that was a thing, although it makes perfect sense.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Well, now seems like a good time to contribute to the thread by posting a book about the gayest thing since ancient Greece: The US military!

Now, you can't tell from the cover, but this book has a whole lot of dick getting shoved in men's faces.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ceiling fan posted:

Well, now seems like a good time to contribute to the thread by posting a book about the gayest thing since ancient Greece: The US military!

Now, you can't tell from the cover, but this book has a whole lot of dick getting shoved in men's faces.

:f5:

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!
Finally had a decent haul to share!

Of course, I finally got my hands on some entry level offbeat books (featuring my cat who was fascinated by my find):

And while picking through the pulp section of the store that features shelves three books deep in no order whatsoever, I found something incredibly insane that crosses over with the VANTASM! thread:

I grabbed some other books but nothing as interesting. If I go back soon I'll get some more trash to share!

bweep boop! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 31, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

Finally had a decent haul to share!

Of course, I finally got my hands on some entry level offbeat books (featuring my cat who was fascinated by my find):

And while picking through the pulp section of the store that features shelves three books deep in no order whatsoever, I found something incredibly insane that crosses over with the VANTASM! thread:

I grabbed some other books but nothing as interesting. If I go back soon I'll get some more trash to share!

Oh my god, I need to read this!!!!!!!

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Oh my god, I need to read this!!!!!!!

If you don't stumble across it in the meantime, when I am done reading it I would be happy to send it your way!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

If you don't stumble across it in the meantime, when I am done reading it I would be happy to send it your way!

I appreciate the offer, but I just ordered a copy from Australia. I also just learned that there is a whole series of these from Tor, and that most of the offers online are from sellers in Australia. Interesting...

P.S. -- Thanks for the tip. This made my day!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 31, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

I can't find anything about this after a (brief) search but I'm dying to know how our heroes, who are on "the way to the White House" and planning to "build an empire based on the word of God" (honestly, if you just look at the cover and read the first paragraph on the back, it sounds like they're the bad guys) end up fighting each other after presumably vaporizing a forest full of cocaine-fueled Nazis.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bless the uncredited gig writer who was tasked with making a children's read-along narrative out of Super Breakout

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I appreciate how he’s named after Green Lantern and is intended to be Chinese-American. I played a lot of Super Breakout as a kid and loved the cover art; little me would probably be pretty hype over that story.

This is also pretty :3:

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Here are a few books to help out folks on the east coast.

Good Luck!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Ceiling fan posted:

Here are a few books to help out folks on the east coast.

Good Luck!

My fiance and I were forced to evacuate our rented beach house on North Carolina's Outer Banks at noon yesterday because of the hurricane. It was especially difficult, because the weather was still beautiful:

There was a motherfucker of an undertow though. The red flags were out on the beach:

I haven't read much news in the last few days, but I really hope the Bahamas is OK.

On a selfish note, now I'm stuck inland in one of the garbage traitor states for the rest of the week because we couldn't change our flights without a $500 penalty (each). I haven't seen any good used books out here yet, but I'll keep looking. I will have fun on this vacation, goddamnit!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bless the uncredited gig writer who was tasked with making a children's read-along narrative out of Super Breakout

This rules.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

On a selfish note, now I'm stuck inland in one of the garbage traitor states for the rest of the week because we couldn't change our flights without a $500 penalty (each). I haven't seen any good used books out here yet, but I'll keep looking. I will have fun on this vacation, goddamnit!!

If you're in NC, Asheville has some nice places for thrifting. VA, not so much. Random junk stores and Goodwill in Southwest, loads of Christian bookstores around Lynchburg and central VA. Avoid the ones in Roanoke if you hate politics (from the staff).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tag yourself, I'm definitely fun_dude

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I’m the highly-memorable 37mh7d9.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I feel like this book could have been tl;dr'ed into "Do Not Spend :10bux: On an Account at the Something Awful Dot Com Forums".

also please do not doxx my work email of Principal@school.edu, thanks

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is Mike supposed to be wrong here or something

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

queserasera posted:

If you're in NC, Asheville has some nice places for thrifting. VA, not so much. Random junk stores and Goodwill in Southwest, loads of Christian bookstores around Lynchburg and central VA. Avoid the ones in Roanoke if you hate politics (from the staff).

For all the poo poo I talk about the southern states, I have a lot of friends who live in them (for reasons I will never comprehend). I'm about to go out to dinner with a few in the Falls Church, VA area in a few minutes.

Anyway, there were a ton of decent thrift stores on and near the Outer Banks. I've heard good things about Asheville, and will make it there someday. Raleigh too.

I don't hate the south as much as I loathe the anti-intellectual authoritarian status quo bootlicking that thrives down here. Southern Baptists are bad people, and I don't like them. Also, everyone and everything seems slow to me. And I hate the loving humidity with a passion I cannot even express with mere words.

The Outer Banks are nice though. Every part of the country has its good points and glaring flaws. Even my beloved Alameda, California is no exception.

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate all the help I can get searching for books!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I'm Yan. Britney Spears rules my world. I love all of her music and think she is beautiful.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is Mike supposed to be wrong here or something

gently caress you, Peter!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Cross post from the magazine thread:

Last night I returned home from my vacation to the Outer Banks, which turned into a completely different trip than what we’d planned. I’m going through all of the blurry pictures I took, and figured I’d post some of them here since I think they fit the theme of this thread.

CONTENT WARNING: My politics and personal beliefs will probably leak into this because of the material I’m covering, so feel free to skip this post. I’ll get back to posting magazines when I get back to work tomorrow. Maybe even sooner.

Quick recap: We flew into Norfolk, Virginia on Saturday, August 31st, and drove to North Carolina’s Outer Banks, where we’d rented a beach house. On Monday morning (Labor Day) we learned that we had to evacuate the Outer Banks by noon on Tuesday, September 3rd, two full days before Hurricane Dorian was expected to make landfall there. The weather was beautiful, so we stayed as long as we could. On the way out, we stopped at a few thrift stores, but I didn’t buy anything. This trashy ash tray and the shells I picked up at the beach and put inside of it are my only souvenirs from the OBX portion of the trip:

We stopped for the night and rented a room in “Colonial” Williamsburg, went out for a delicious steak dinner, and returned to the hotel. The clerk had mentioned that there was an arcade room, and while we were out at dinner I made a dumb joke about the arcade having the old four player X-Men game, which my fiancé and I both loved back in the day…

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I finally beat the Simpsons arcade game, which I could never afford to do back in the day! Double Dragon too. They rotate games every once in awhile, and I hope they get Robocop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and that X-men game so I can finally win those too.

Q-bert is hard as gently caress. I accept that I will never get past the 2nd or 3rd level of that one.

The hotel arcade only had 6 games, so imagine my ecstatic surprise when these were two of them:

We were exhausted, but after checking out the following morning and packing the car, we went back in, got $10 worth of quarters, and finally beat X-Men!

I played as 80’s Dazzler, in case anyone is curious.

This was next to the hotel, and I felt compelled to take a picture:

We stopped at a couple of kitschy-looking souvenir stores, including this one that was like a BUDK catalog made flesh:

I bought this ridiculous thing for $5. Poop pops out when you squeeze it, but I can’t get a good picture of that:

I also bought this:

More on that later.

This is my favorite thing at the store that I didn’t buy:

These were a close second. I would have bought them, but they were outrageously overpriced at $12 a piece:

Neither of us had any desire to check out the old-timey section of Williamsburg, so we drove to nearby Jamestown to view the ruins of that settlement.
We got to the park just in time to go on a half hour tour/ lecture about the first African people brought to Jamestown. I was expecting some southern-style “Lost Cause” bullshit, but the woman giving the tour was in her mid-20’s, and passionate about explaining how horrible the treatment of Africans, women, and minorities of any kind were over the past 400 years, especially in the south. It was funny watching older white couples get offended and wordlessly leave the tour whenever the speaker articulated the horrors of slavery. After starting the tour with about 30 people, only ten or so remained by the end of the 30 minutes, most of whom were older black couples.

I recognized this guy, because I once read that he’d blown his junk off in a gunpowder accident (the Steve Scalise of his time):

These four crosses mark the locations of seventeenth century graves, and are also the exact location where John Rolfe and Pocahontas were married in order to seal a peace treaty between Jamestown settlers and local Powhatan natives:

I think this is a picture of those four graves being opened, but I might be mis-remembering that:

In any case, one of the items they found was this reliquary, which can’t be opened without destroying it. Technological advances have allowed its contents to be seen, and they are bone fragments that were supposed to have been from a famous Saint (although they almost undoubtedly do not, as phony Saint’s bones were all the rage back then).

There was a ton of cool stuff in the museum of antiquities that have been excavated, and I highly recommend going if anyone finds themselves in that neck of the woods.
Here is one of the many Memento Mori rings on display:

From there we visited one of my fiancé’s friends in some tiny Virginia town, unexpectedly found ourselves in Maryland, and checked into a hotel in Falls Church, VA that we’d booked for the rest of the trip.

As a brief aside, every person I’ve ever met from the East Coast says that Maryland drivers are the absolute worst. Slow. Clueless. Dangerous. I’ve long held that Washington State drivers are the worst in the nation, but after driving in Maryland, I am convinced that the East Coast people are right.

The following day (Thursday, September 5th), we took the train into Washington, D.C. because I really, really, really wanted to go to the Newseum after learning awhile back that they have Ted Kaczynski’s hand-built Montana shed on display:

It was everything I’d hoped for and more! It’s also taller than I expected. The ceiling isn’t very high, so I suspect that the entire peaked portion of the shack is an attic full of insulation.

The Newseum had a ton of other amazing stuff too. This is just a sampling:

Part of the Berlin Wall, as well as a checkpoint guard tower:

The reason we all have to take off our shoes at the airport, Richard Reid’s failed shoe bomb:

The actual door from the Watergate Hotel that Nixon’s dumb plumbers taped open, setting off a chain of events resulting in his resignation:

The lunch counter from the Woolworth’s in Greensboro, North Carolina where the famous civil rights sit-in took place in 1960:

Car where this investigative journalist was killed by a bomb in 1976:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bolles

(Not to be confused with the drummer of The Germs)

2000 Florida ballot, machine, and bag of chads that allowed the Supreme Court to give the election to George W. Bush, which ultimately led to the disastrous war in Iraq (among other crimes against humanity):

Various dire warnings about the necessity of a free and independent press:

A few lighter items:

John Stewart’s desk from his long run on The Daily Show:

Gerald Ford with fancy pants and a cute dog:

From the 6th floor balcony a picture of the Capitol building (center), Canadian Embassy (left, connected to the Newseum), and Supreme Court building (to the left of the Capitol):

Smithsonian Castle:

Weird statue:

Every day the Newseum gets digital copies of newspaper front pages from all 50 states and various places around the world, which they print and display. Here are two I enjoyed from Guam and Australia:

Lastly, here are a few pictures from an exhibit on cartoonist Darrin Bell:

ACTUAL CONTENT ABOUT MAGAZINES!!!!

Miscellaneous:

This extremely low-key memorial was on the way back to the train station:

The rest of the trip was spent meeting with various friends in the area, which I’m not going to write about here.

One final story. After squeezing all of our stuff into our luggage, I still had some room in my backpack. I filled it with a whole bunch of non-perishable snacks and things that we’d originally bought for the beach house and would otherwise have to throw away. I packed it so tight that I could barely get the zippers closed.

Anyway, my carry-on bag got searched when I went through security for the flight home, and this tumbled out when the TSA guy opened my backpack:

He gave me a weird look, and proceeded to individually swab test a whole box of granola bars I had in there before telling me I could pack up my bag and go on to my flight.

Finally, here is a blurry picture of a California forest fire I took from the plane:

Home sweet home!!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 8, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

And I got a copy of this, thanks to this thread:

I'm gonna read that next week on my first vacation in a year in a half, along with one of these, which I learned about from an ad in some old right-wing magazine, almost certainly Soldier of Fortune:

Hawkwind & Hawker. I'll have get a novelization of Over the Top to fill out the trilogy.

In my rush to pack, I forgot to bring either of those books. Operation Norfolk would have been perfect.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Thanks. That was very interesting. The Newseum sounds well worth a visit.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Doubtful Guest posted:

Thanks. That was very interesting. The Newseum sounds well worth a visit.

Glad at least one person found it interesting!

Before I forget, I heard that the Newseum is closing at the end of this year, so if anyone is interested in going there, do so ASAP!!

I have a bunch of books waiting for me when I pick up my mail at some point this week. New content coming soon(ish).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I just found this pdf on my work computer and realized I never posted the whole thing:

Signed by Lawrence Welk and others, but not Liberace Himself. Oh well.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pretty sure that speaks to those of us in and around this thread.

(I would never collect hockey pucks, but having one on an end table would be nice. The heft and texture of them makes them just pleasurable to hold.)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/wonderfulcrafts/status/1171723807247257600

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Genuinely confused which side is supposed to be worse here, the guys planning to run a Christian Sharia law empire from behind the barrel of a gun or the cocaine Nazis.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 18, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Known Lecher posted:

Genuinely confused which side is supposed to be worse here, the guys planning to run a Christian Sharia law empire from behind the barrel of a gun or the cocaine Nazis.

I think the real winner is the reader! Well, I shouldn't say that until I get a chance to absorb the sure-to-be-masterful text this weekend. I might turn out to be the biggest loser of them all.

My fiance worked for Tor early in her career, so I asked her if she ever got tasked with editing these Soldier of Fortune/ crazed vigilante books. Sadly (for me), she only did sci-fi/ fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Here's a very wonderful book. It's so big (each page is A3 size) it comes in its own plastic case with carry handle.

Inside are 800 pages of aerial photography, covering every last inch of England.

When it came out, in 2001, aerial photography on this scale was still quite novel, and it was exciting sitting around with people looking up various personal and public landmarks.

The scale varies depending on whether the area is built up or just fields. There are a lot of pages of fields.

Google Earth was released around the same time as this book, instantly rendering it obsolete as anything other than a coffee table book for people with very strong coffee tables. Not that it was ever intended as anything else.

You can pick up a copy for next to nothing from the usual used book places, and although it's obviously useless compared to Google Maps, I'd still recommend it if you have the space. It's just so nice to get lost in. Plus what if your internet goes out and you need to know what the roofs of Cleckheaton looked like 20 years ago?