Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My latest FOs!

This is Wendy Darling in Drops Cotton Merino. Not too happy with this yarn, I think the cotton blend makes it too chunky and thick.
I changed the yoke, because I didn't want to sew the arms on.

You're probably sick of seeing this one by now, but I just had to make a Dahlia for myself. Made with Drops Air. I think I'm starting to hate this yarn, because it stretches sooo much. I'm sick of floppy sweaters, and I even knitted this with 4mm needles to make it firmer. It's great if you want something soft and fluffy, though.

I still have a lot of Drops Air in different colors left, I might make a Sorbet Cardigan out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Adventures in speed knitting! I made this cardigan in just one week, because I wanted to finish it before my daughter's photo day in kindergarten. I made it by the skin of my teeth, staying up until 5 am to finish it. I think it turned out pretty good! :D

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Midnight Sun posted:

Adventures in speed knitting! I made this cardigan in just one week, because I wanted to finish it before my daughter's photo day in kindergarten. I made it by the skin of my teeth, staying up until 5 am to finish it. I think it turned out pretty good! :D

Oh, that's super pretty! Excellent color choice too

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Midnight Sun posted:

It's lovely, very spring-y. I'm surprised you can bear to put hand knits on a kindergartner; I'm learning equanimity regarding hats for my nieces and nephew (sometimes they just get lost) but it's a lot easier to write off a hat than a sweater, lol.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

It's lovely, very spring-y. I'm surprised you can bear to put hand knits on a kindergartner; I'm learning equanimity regarding hats for my nieces and nephew (sometimes they just get lost) but it's a lot easier to write off a hat than a sweater, lol.

Well, I think it's better that the garment is being used than just put in a closet for "fancy" wear, you know? Luckily, this yarn (Drops Baby Merino) is very forgiving when it comes to washing. Because it's superwash, I just wash it on 40C in a regular cycle, and it's actually preferrable to tumble dry it afterwards. If you wash it on gentle or wool cycle and don't spin it enough, the whole thing just sags and grows several sizes.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013

Midnight Sun posted:

I love the colour choices you made in this one, it's beautiful! What pattern did you use? (Sorry if you already mentioned and I missed it!)

I can't imagine knitting a whole sweater that fast, not even a child sized one!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Purple Prophecy posted:

I love the colour choices you made in this one, it's beautiful! What pattern did you use? (Sorry if you already mentioned and I missed it!)

I can't imagine knitting a whole sweater that fast, not even a child sized one!

I don't think I mentioned it! It's Bøvertun mini, collected in Kofteboken 2 by Lene Holme Samsøe and Liv Sandvik Jakobsen.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bvertun-mini

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Wow! Your projects are awesome. I keep thinking one day I should make a shirt or some socks.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I have learned to knit two socks at a time on magic loop and oh my god I should've done this FOREVER AGO it is amazing.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I do magic loop for sleeves, and it's a lifesaver! But I haven't mastered knitting both at one time yet, don't the strands get all tangled up when you turn the work?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Not really, if you're attentive. I mean they can, sure, but they're easy enough to undo. I keep my two balls of yarn in a container that feeds the yarn through a hole in the top (also makes it portable) so that helps to cut down on tangles.

W. D. Basterd
Jul 11, 2016
I usually just shop at the big box craft stores but I've been eyeing some nice yarns online and swoon. But man! I feel so guilty spending a large amount of money for a few skeins of yarn when I could just go to Michael's and get a lot more bang for the buck.

AH gently caress!!!!!!!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
There's nothing wrong with knitting something you like out of some beautiful yarn! Knitpicks is a good entry-level place for you to get out of big-box stores.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I knit my socks from the toe-up and keep my yarn in the sock when I'm not using it. ;)

Haven't been knitting much recently, but I made this hat the other day. Been meaning to make something like this for ages so I'd have a nice (dorky) winter hat, and finally got around to it now that the weather is nice and warm and I don't actually need it. I used up some black Red Heart with Wool that I've had in my stash forever and it's surprisingly soft and nice! Too bad they discontinued it. The yellow part is some god-awful single-ply wool/acrylic blend called Sheep-ish that's been sitting in my stash forever because I hate it. Thank god they discontinued that. It was absolutely awful to work with and I had to hold it double to get the thickness I wanted, but it was the only yellow wool/blend I had on hand. Finished project looks nice though. The yellow is slightly shiny to contrast the matte black.

I used the chart from this pattern but made up my own pattern on the fly for the rest of the hat because I wasn't fond of the shaping, or casting on in the round. It's not really obvious when the piece is lying flat, but this thing is huge. I wanted it to be sort of slouchy, so I made it a bit longer than usual. The brim is meant to be worn folded up, so when it's unfolded there's enough hat there to fit my entire head in it with room to spare. :downs:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sehkmet posted:

Not really, if you're attentive. I mean they can, sure, but they're easy enough to undo. I keep my two balls of yarn in a container that feeds the yarn through a hole in the top (also makes it portable) so that helps to cut down on tangles.

Next try two at a time with one ball of yarn, knitting from both ends. Really convenient. Untangling is as simple as dangling the socks and giving them a gentle nudge to spin around.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

effika posted:

Next try two at a time with one ball of yarn, knitting from both ends. Really convenient. Untangling is as simple as dangling the socks and giving them a gentle nudge to spin around.

I was wondering about doing that instead of having to split my yarn into two balls. I think I'll try it next time, I have three more balls of sock yarn :v:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Knitpicks, Loveknitting are two good online places if you want something a bit nicer without exploding the bank. Paintbox yarns are amazing and cheap. I even cashed in on a black friday sale and made my queensize blanket for about 40 bucks.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
This has been a weekend of getting mad at yarn.

First I had to rip out all of a beaded shawl I was working on because a stitch broke while I was working it (the one on the row below, so basically impossible to fix easily). I had been getting concerned about how the yarn was holding up with the beads anyway, a feeling which was proved valid when it broke four more times while I was ripping it out. I Russian-joined everything, now it's in timeout until I feel like making it into something less stressful for it.

Then I realised I was burning through the yarn ball of the socks I was making entirely too fast, and of course it was the hand-dyed yarn I had bought as a souvenir years ago so there was absolutely no chance of getting another skein. I'm going to to both feet in a different, vaguely similar yarn I have lying around and pretend I meant to do it like that all along. Luckily I was on the first sock.

I was mad at thin projects by then, so I wound up two skeins of my thick handspun to try and turn into a hat. The yarn turned out to be too thick for the hat I wanted, so I ended up swatching a bunch to try and come up with a vaguely similar idea I could wing and then come back to the real idea earlier. Of course, that yarn also broke while swatching. This time I think I'll make a knot...

At least I'm using up my stash?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Misbehaving yarn is the worst! I can feel my motivation dropping just from reading your post!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was shopping at a LYS yesterday and we got talking and one thing led to another: if she likes my samples I'm gonna start selling indie dyed yarn in her shop!

This is so exciting. :holy: I still can't take a photo to save my life tho so it's hard to show off what I've been making.

e: the Master Hand Knitter materials are full of typos and there isn't even a loving table of contents. Whole thing is bullshit, I'm sure I'll be here to cuss them out again after I send in my binder and get misspelled feedback. PS Comprise is not a synonym for compose.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 3, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I was shopping at a LYS yesterday and we got talking and one thing led to another: if she likes my samples I'm gonna start selling indie dyed yarn in her shop!

This is so exciting. :holy: I still can't take a photo to save my life tho so it's hard to show off what I've been making.

e: the Master Hand Knitter materials are full of typos and there isn't even a loving table of contents. Whole thing is bullshit, I'm sure I'll be here to cuss them out again after I send in my binder and get misspelled feedback. PS Comprise is not a synonym for compose.

Oooh congrats!

And typos like that in the master knitter stuff are one of the many reasons why I don't think I'd have the patience or restraint to do that program. I admire you and your ability to do all the finicky stuff it asks for while also not sending back the materials corrected in red ink.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Congrats on the dyeing thing! :D And the master knitter thing just looks too intimidating to me. I'm okay being average at best.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I've thought about going through the master knitter stuff and feel similarly. Everyone I know thinks of me as some sort of knitting wizard (I am intermediate/advanced at best) and since I'm not making a living off it, that's probably master enough for me.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

I admire you and your ability to do all the finicky stuff it asks for while also not sending back the materials corrected in red ink.

Well actually...

I need to make a linkable table of contents and reformat it for reading on a computer because the current design has like no white space and the heading situation is a mess. I'm sure people with normal brains can slog through it just fine, but I have ADHD like a motherfucker and basically no executive functioning, so with nothing that serves as an overview in this thing, to me it immediately dives into the weeds.

I figured I'd share it to the forum without being overtly critical and if they adopt it, great (there is basically no chance of this, I'm certain the 28 co-chairs will get butthurt), and if not other people might still benefit from it and I'll have made my point.

Obsession with doing things a certain way is diagnostic for my people so I've no problem with that, but don't step to me with a syllabus full of errors.

e: VVV that's so reasonable and strategic I'd have never thought on it my own, will take that advice

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 3, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but one thing I have learned is that if you're going to piss people off, and you have a choice, do it when they're not in a position of power over you. Especially if they have huge boners about wielding their tiny authority in the first place.

In other words, probably get through the whole thing and then be like "hey btw this helped me"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't think I've had more than one or two woollen items in my life that were not horribly itchy and only wearable as the topmost layer on a very cold day.

If I was going to do a knit, what would I need to do to end up with a garment I'd actually like to touch my skin, rather than something I can sorta tolerate maybe?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't think I've had more than one or two woollen items in my life that were not horribly itchy and only wearable as the topmost layer on a very cold day.

If I was going to do a knit, what would I need to do to end up with a garment I'd actually like to touch my skin, rather than something I can sorta tolerate maybe?

Go to a yarn store. Touch different types of things with clean hands.

Your lower back is probably most sensitive, but touching wool to there is not generally smiled on. I usually check it against my forearms.

Poly blended with wool is very soft. Superwash merino is too, but can still be itchy sometimes. Alpaca, silk, plant fibers (cotton, etc) will usually be okay against skin. Cotton is about the only fiber I can do direct to skin; I always layer wool sweaters over my dress shirts for work anyway, and cant imagine trying to wear them directly against my skin.

Look for knit samples at a store. The big itchy feeling for me is caused by flyaway hair fibers; that's part of why I mostly only do okay with cotton, linen, and flax against the skin.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The softest yarn I own is a flax and silk blend! But it is a little tough to knit with.

Assuming you don't have a wool allergy:

One thing that makes animal fibers prickly is the fiber swelling in the presence of moisture. This makes the hair poke out and stick you, and you get itchy. I can't really wear alpaca for this reason though it's otherwise very soft.

Socks may be a gateway to wearing wool. Find some merino sock yarn (something that's got 4 plies and 15-25% of an artificial fiber like nylon for strength) and make some socks! My feet are always cold and they love wool socks.

Or if not socks, a loose cowl or a shawl to avoid the sweat the makes the fibers pokey. I'd go with a merino blend (or whatever is softest) that you've had a chance to pet in the yarn store like FelicityGS suggests.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for the tips!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

If anyone is a fan of moomin, Novita is doing a moomin x navita event with special yarn and patterns! https://www.moomin.com/en/blog/first-look-at-the-long-awaited-moomin-themed-yarn-collection-by-novita/ Some of them look super cute.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I've got a skein of this yarn (in her sea silk dupe blend) coming in and I want to make this pattern:

Bead suggestions? I want the beads to stand out. I always get a little disappointed when I look a t a beaded project and can't find the beads in it.

I think I want a forest elf sort of theme to it.

I was thinking maybe something frosted? Pearl colored or gold maybe? Perhaps a light green or blue?

There are way too many beads to choose from!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I think pearl coloured would look gorgeous, like raindrops in the canopy. And silver-lined, if you can find them, will stand out better against the green.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think gold would look great, too. I agree with silver-lined, but maybe matte? Or a mix of matte and regular?

I wouldn't go with blue or green if you want the beads to stand out. I love pearl and silver, but I think a cool color will make it look less forest elfy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Hmmm, these milky-white silver lined ones might just be right:

(Toho, but Miyuki makes essentially the same one.)

Also maybe these silver-lined matte topaz ones by Toho:

I can see why people keep making beaded shawls, you buy a few tubes to match to a yarn and then have extra beads, so you find another project...

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Some finished stuff!

A sweater for my daughter, made out of leftover yarn (Drops Baby Merino). Tried a pattern from The Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters by Ann Budd. I'm not quite sure if I'm completely satisfied, but my daughter won't take it off, so I guess it's a success.

Made this cardigan (Gretekofte) in Drops Merino Extra Fine, but I'm so disappointed in the finished result. This yarn is way too heavy for a cardigan, and I've knit it way too long and big. I also hosed up and made the button bars way too narrow. The colors are beautiful, though. I think I have to knit this again in a different yarn.

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 24, 2022

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Hi Needle Knerds,

I was wondering if any of you have a go-to pattern for a baby beanie. Good friends of ours had a baby boy last week. Seeing that we live in northeastern Massachusetts and that we are not that far away from cooler temperatures, I am looking for a nice and warm baby beanie pattern. I have found a couple on Ravelry, but figured I would check in here as well. I have a whole skein of this awesome sport weight yarn from Lattes and Llamas that I have been using to crank out their "Geek-A-Long" blanket squares with. I need a palette cleanse and a baby beanie would be perfect. Thank you!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I don't have a go-to pattern, but I did make a couple of these with good success:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basic-baby-hat

I made one Santa themed with a pom pom for my nephew that was cute when it stayed on. He had a big head for a 6 month old - so when in doubt, go bigger!

Anyone here doing the 10th anniversary Stephen West MKAL? I don't even wear shawls, but I have had fun in the past, so I am going for it. At the very least it should look cool on the back of my chair at work. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/starflake-westknits-mystery-shawl-kal-2019

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I really want to, but his patterns the last few years have just been....too 'interesting' for me I guess? I really adore his earlier stuff.

baby hat recc, was a hit with my fussy family: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stella-pixie-hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I made matching cardigans for my daughter and me. Pattern is Sorbet Cardigan from Mille Fryd, yarn is Drops Air.