Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Bloody Pom posted:

Horselords delenda est :black101:

I mean don't get me wrong, I love singlehandedly shutting down the enemy team's cavalry force. :buddy:

timn posted:

Keep in mind that horses can capture points now, too. Horses are more of a specialty playstyle than a power up, which is the right place for them in this game. A horse lord's real utility is to act as highly mobile distraction and harassment. Think of it as a support role rather than direct offense.

I think this niche would be more fully realized if we got some more open-ended maps with non-linear objectives/capture points. The ability to quickly shift between attack and defense at different locations of the map would give them a really useful tactical role.

This is a great point, actually, and one that meshes well with my gameplay. I used to always play max armor builds, but lately I've fallen in love with all light armor and a halberd. I've gone from a slightly above average player at best to frequently ranking in the top 5 of my matches by doing hit and run/harassment strategies that only work with good mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
As a die hard halberd fan I will say that it is the ultimate support weapon in team fights. Put that baby into alt mode and stab and overhead swing around your teammates to just crush people who are too tied up with the person directly in front of them. You'll be a huge force multiplier, and your team will quickly get the numbers advantage in many fights.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I go about getting poo poo tonnes of gold? I wanna fully customize my dudes but god drat is it expensive, I made a Roman legionary and it basically ate up all my gold. I'm busy most days and can only get two hours in every few days, it's not enough time to properly grind out gold.

I just wanna play the game I love looking great whilst I do it.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
It's just time spent playing, unfortunately. I hear horde was or is a way to get a bunch of gold, but I find it really stupid and boring. That said, playing frontline almost exclusively i've amassed 200k since i finished kitting my characters out and buying all the weapons in case I wanted to try them out.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Fighting or avoiding horses has never been a problem, the reason they suck is that when you're in a tense fight they often come out of nowhere to one-shot you from the back. Even if you hear them coming you're not going to be able to react properly because you're already in a fight. I salivate at the thought of a no-horse, no-archer server.

Where did the bad archer touch you?

Also, archer4lyfe, get wrekt scrublord

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The funniest thing about going archer is luring people in to fight you and actually being a melee beast of a player and butchering their highly armored ken doll to death

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Commoners posted:

The funniest thing about going archer is luring people in to fight you and actually being a melee beast of a player and butchering their highly armored ken doll to death

I used to do this with the Pirate in Chiv: Deadliest Warrior. Well, except for the "melee beast" part, but I was just good enough to pull it off occasionally.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stringbean posted:

Where did the bad archer touch you?

Nowhere, in this game they're ten times less annoying than horse riders and mostly ineffective, but I'm giving them an honorable mention for at least trying to be little shits

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Commoners posted:

This. They see light armor and assume you're going down fast. Then the cleaver is up against their head and they're backpedaling

Frankly this game needs more main weapon ranged weapons. I'm not talking hand cannons or arquebuses. Slings would be cool, bring blunt damage to ranged and let it do more damage against armored units and less against unarmored (like maces). Arbalests would be neat too, real long reload, with piercing type effect where it could enter and exit to hit another dude. Ammo types, flaming arrows could be implemented. Let the cloth and pitch on the arrow affect its trajectory, etc. Let it do more damage against structures. Barbed arrows could puncture armor easier or cause bleed damage over time, but result in you carrying less ammo. These new ammo types could lock up a weapon slot too.

Clearly I am archer biased. Sorry.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Game needs to go full war of the roses and allow anyone to take a horse at an expensive perk cost.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Slings would be rad and a fun tactical option given the blunt damage.

Not sure how well horses for perk points would balance out. It would be hard to find a middle ground between horses everywhere because why not and nobody bothering because they're too expensive to take with any of the kit you actually want.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Game needs to go full war of the roses and allow anyone to take a horse gun at an expensive perk cost.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Hell yes. I remember wotr lovely handgonnes that would take IRL a minute to load and invariably miss like hell or bounce off plate.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Early muzzle-loaders with zero accuracy and insane reload times would definitely fit well in this game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The roster is already 50% gimmick sniping weapons, I don't think we need another one.

Kind of ties into what I was saying before - usually in these games it's the archers that are widely despised and abused even by their own team, but here they're just noise. Not only do horse riders exist, but there's a million different ways to do ranged combat. Sometimes I think they went a little overboard.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't mind archers so much if their friendly fire didn't stagger you while bad guys are in your face :tizzy:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Barbed arrow bleed damage sounds awful, this is a terrible idea. Even with fewer arrows, this would be an annoying mechanic to have in the game. If I get killed by an archer who pulled off a great shot, I'm not mad. But when there's 10 archers all blindly firing into a group, imagining most of them having barbed arrows to bleed you to death is just stupid as hell.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Glenn Quebec posted:

Game needs to go full war of the roses and allow anyone to flick their visor open and closed rapidly especially when being killed.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh gently caress that was the best. I also enjoyed the kill/death animations a ton

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Yes add more ways for bad players to kill good players through no skills of their own.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just played as red team holding the siege towers and preventing blue from planting explosive kegs. It was a breath of fresh air seeing a team actually working well together. We were a group of five all sat on the objective circle for the last tower: I was a fast little poo poo with a dagger that would just weave in and out of battle stabbing keg boys and throwing fire pots to prevent them retreating, and there was a toolbox guy building obstacles, and then 3 normal fighters. Blue would attack in waves, and you'd know poo poo was about to hit the fan because you'd see four or five smoke bombs falling from the sky, and then the entire place gets covered in thick smoke. And then they'd all rush together and it was hectic but amazing.

Makes me really want to take part in coordinated clan battles. It was a shame to see how hard some players in the blue team were trying. Three or four players would spawn in as heavily armoured guys with no weapons and just smoke bombs, then attempt to carry in a keg. Other dudes would just fully kit out in smoke bombs and have no armour on. Then you look at the rest of their team, and it's just morons fighting miles away from the point in their own personal skirmishes instead of overwhelming the objective.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Qubee posted:

Makes me really want to take part in coordinated clan battles. It was a shame to see how hard some players in the blue team were trying. Three or four players would spawn in as heavily armoured guys with no weapons and just smoke bombs, then attempt to carry in a keg. Other dudes would just fully kit out in smoke bombs and have no armour on. Then you look at the rest of their team, and it's just morons fighting miles away from the point in their own personal skirmishes instead of overwhelming the objective.

In many multiplayer games, there comes a time when there is exactly one (1) place players need to be, but 90% of players will somehow find a way to be somewhere else

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i had a drawn out 1v1 duel in frontline and the opponent finally knocked my weapon out of my hand, and just as he lifted his sword overheat for the killing blow, he gets unceremoniously impaled by a ballista shot from the parapets.

"oh...hehe... sorry."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Qubee posted:

But when there's 10 archers all blindly firing into a group, imagining most of them having barbed arrows to bleed you to death is just stupid as hell.

When was the last time you saw even 10 archers in a match, much less on the same team?

Archer-complaints mystify me. There are rarely more than two or three to a team. Almost nobody plays them because they aren't good. At least talking about actual "I have a bow/crossbow" archers, no throwing weapons counted.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

When was the last time you saw even 10 archers in a match, much less on the same team?

Archer-complaints mystify me. There are rarely more than two or three to a team. Almost nobody plays them because they aren't good. At least talking about actual "I have a bow/crossbow" archers, no throwing weapons counted.

yeah at best when I get killed it's due to an archer maybe ... 5% of the time? Mostly the worst they do is make me wait behind cover for a few seconds for my health to regen

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archers are annoying on some maps, but with so much other ranged poo poo that can kill you out of the blue, there's no reason to single them out (or to play them).

It's weird, before the game came out, I was afraid that they would make it too hardcore and grognardy, leaving only poopsock veteran players after a few months. Now I actually feel that they went too far in the opposite lolwacky direction. Far too many deaths have nothing to do with your level of skill or mistakes on your part. And I think it must be especially frustrating for new players trying to learn the melee combat, they're more likely to get run down by a horse or shot by a ballista than actually finish a fight.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yes add more ways for bad players to kill good players through no skills of their own.

Unironically agree

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Just because it's not oppressively stupid all the time doesn't mean that it's not stupid.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Getting killed by something that isn't under your direct control isn't great but seriously it's a large scale multiplayer game grow some thicker skin dudes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm also the guy that aims the catapult directly behind the skirmish line and gets multikills with some friendly fire damage

I drag the catapult back to the near spawn in crossroads and aim it at the middle treefort and launch whenever enemies attack

It's true that I'm pretty much cancer but man I love this game so much

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo the game would be pretty boring without all the "accessories". Archers, horses, ballistas, catapults. They are good. All of them.

And even if you hate them and just want ~honorable duels~ like some wanker who traveled through time from the Jedi Outcast online community, you can just play ranked. It's there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the extra stuff is good because running up on an archer or artilleryman who's got blinders on and introducing their head to Consequences is a great feeling

as is billhooking a knight off a horse and then following up with the coup de grace. v. satisfying

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Chomp8645 posted:

imo the game would be pretty boring without all the "accessories". Archers, horses, ballistas, catapults. They are good. All of them.

And even if you hate them and just want ~honorable duels~ like some wanker who traveled through time from the Jedi Outcast online community, you can just play ranked. It's there.

Make horses optional for everyone at a point coat. Watching horselords clash and die would be rad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

Make horses optional for everyone at a point coat. Watching horselords clash and die would be rad.

It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure it's viable. Balancing it sounds impossible. Like what point value could the horse be that wouldn't result in either no horses ever, or horses around every corner?

That would work fine in games where you earn points and spend them on equipment during the match. Buying a horse makes sense there. But point costing them into pre-canned builds? Doesn't seem workable.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

earn points and spend them on equipment during the match.

:hmmyes:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

earning better equipment for kills during the match is a feedback loop that favors the better players. youd have unskilled players leaving pretty quickly if they were facing down horselords in full plate and they were brandishing falchions at them

it could work if the points werent tied directly to kills, and if there was a catch-up mechanic that allowed players with fewer options to get an edge on the better equipped players

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Chomp8645 posted:

It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure it's viable. Balancing it sounds impossible. Like what point value could the horse be that wouldn't result in either no horses ever, or horses around every corner?

That would work fine in games where you earn points and spend them on equipment during the match. Buying a horse makes sense there. But point costing them into pre-canned builds? Doesn't seem workable.

Worked fine in wotr. It meant you couldn't bring the more powerful arms and armor or perks. If you had like 20 points, a horse was 13 or so.

They were very killable. But you could be slick about it too

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Qubee posted:

Barbed arrow bleed damage sounds awful, this is a terrible idea. Even with fewer arrows, this would be an annoying mechanic to have in the game. If I get killed by an archer who pulled off a great shot, I'm not mad. But when there's 10 archers all blindly firing into a group, imagining most of them having barbed arrows to bleed you to death is just stupid as hell.

Sux2B Cre-cy

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I picked the game up again and played for a few hours. Then I uninstalled it because I am no longer able to do even remotely well in this game and it's immensely disheartening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You don't have to be good to do well and have fun. Make builds that you enjoy playing. I've had a lot of fun just sitting back as an archer on days where I play like hot garbage. Just doing my best to help teammates out in fights, very satisfying when you nail the shot that saves your teammate. Or kills him... On Crossroads, going halberdier and dedicating your entire match to dehorsing horse lords is sweet. You'll eventually get a dude who has a blood vendetta against you and will keep throwing himself into your pokey bit and it's just so satisfying.

Or just go no armour, all fire bomb build and be a scourge. Cleanse the battlefield in fire. Or on frontlines, run a full smoke bomb build to help mask objectives (like the explosive kegs) and then just run barrels to the spot, it's really good fun trying to avoid enemies in the smoke.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 23, 2019