Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

like my last state, my current state also has a broken-rear end mental health system. a lady was held for 20 days, involuntarily, at a non-psych hospital because you cant have a probable cause hearing before a judge to contest your committal until you're admitted to a psychiatric facility, which are all full, all the time. That poo poo is one of my worst fears come true

https://www.nhpr.org/post/held-20-days-how-nhs-shortage-mental-health-beds-erodes-patients-rights#stream/0

jfc

i thought it was bad enough being held on involuntary, the us healthcare system somehow found a way to make it worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my mom once punched a nun in the face at that hospital the lady was held at and treated like poo poo at, so that's good

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

my mom once punched a nun in the face at that hospital the lady was held at and treated like poo poo at, so that's good

buy your mom an account

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chokes McGee posted:

buy your mom an account

she aged into boomerhood pretty hard, unfortunately

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eat This Glob posted:

she aged into boomerhood pretty hard, unfortunately

God made CSPAM to train the faithful

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So my dad is out of surgery, they had to remove some damaged brain matter from behind his right occipital lobe, and put a prosthetic piece in the occipital lobe. They cut him open from ear to ear over the top of his head and put some sort of spinal fluid drain in his head. He's gonna be sedated overnight and in the icu for atleast a week.

Edit: also holy poo poo the main lobby at this hospital has a TV on playing ads for medical devices. Just the sheer disconnect between helping people and profiting on suffering just left me gawking in the lobby for a minute

shove me like you do has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Sep 18, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

shove me like you do posted:

So my dad is out of surgery, they had to remove some damaged brain matter from behind his right occipital lobe, and put a prosthetic piece in the occipital lobe. They cut him open from ear to ear over the top of his head and put some sort of spinal fluid drain in his head. He's gonna be sedated overnight and in the icu for atleast a week.

Yikes, that sounds bad, but on the positive side: hooray for being out of surgery!

My sympathies to you and your family.

Please get some rest for yourself when you can.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Edit: also holy poo poo the main lobby at this hospital has a TV on playing ads for medical devices. Just the sheer disconnect between helping people and profiting on suffering just left me gawking in the lobby for a minute

You and your family are in our thoughts. I hope you're able to get some rest when you can.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Nebakenezzer posted:

:fist bump:

Well, there's naively optimistic, and then there's hope. It took me a long time to figure out that hope and faith are not rational concepts; they often sit despite facts. And while like any human thing they can be used wrongly, they most definitely are necessary, **especially** when things look dark. The Climate Shouters really don't get that, and seem to want to bring all others down to their level of nihilistic despair. And "YOU SHOULD FEAR MORE" is Glenn Beck's and Tom Friedman's message.

And frankly another of the many things I dislike about the climate doom shouters is that I feel if they had the courage of their convictions, they wouldn't be relentlessly negative on the internet, they'd be terrorists of some sort, either against fossil fuels, or against humanity generally.

Yes, I have contempt for them because they are not terrorists, figure that one out

Climate nihilist here. I've come to believe that the time to scream about fixing things or we're all hosed was back when proto-moron Reagan was elected. Humanity is fundamentally too stupid to live. Anyway I just wanted to say your post resonates with me and I hate myself for not having the guts to act in any meaningful way too. Namaste.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Best of luck. The fact that he's made it this far is a good sign, and I hope for his speedy recovery and rehabilitation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So, I think I may take another shot at an LP here in the next week or two. The last one I did I had to abandon ship, because I couldn't find the energy or time to work on it.

I think this one's got legs. If so, it's one step closer to being able to write again, which I haven't really been able to do since I got out of the hospital.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do it chokes! Let's plays are fun and are a great creative output.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Turtlicious posted:

You do it chokes! Let's plays are fun and are a great creative output.

It's a good'un too, I can take three years to finish this thing and no one will find it odd

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I am anxious about being anxious and it's not much fun. I was supposed to have an appointment with the Work and Health programme connected to the Job Centre, but I had a big anxiety attack (chest pains, thinking about suicide) and cancelled it. Now the woman from the Job Centre is going to call "at some point" to arrange another appointment, and this makes me anxious, even though I will never quite be able to explain why. I feel ashamed of my anxiety (and depression), so I end up not telling people how it affects me, because I'm sure they'll be thinking I'm just making excuses to be idle. But then pretending I'm a normal person very quickly gets overwhelming and I end up freaking out and making a fool of myself. I probably look like the world's oldest toddler throwing a tantrum. Although I would tell other people that "running away screaming is always an option", I still feel like crap when it's me doing it. I feel as though people tried to be friendly and I just threw it back in their face. I feel as though I am causing everyone no small amount of trouble. I wish I could stop being human and not have to deal with people and society. I could be a formless spectre and just observe everything without having to be involved. I could be a statue, I sometimes feel as though I'm so inactive that I might be turning into a statue anyway. Clinical depression is where you're turning into a statue on the inside.

Sorry, I just had to vent about that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
get thee to a therapist asap

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was gonna have people over for a board game night this saturday but now I'm coming down with a cold :smith:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Jollity Farm posted:

I am anxious about being anxious and it's not much fun. I was supposed to have an appointment with the Work and Health programme connected to the Job Centre, but I had a big anxiety attack (chest pains, thinking about suicide) and cancelled it. Now the woman from the Job Centre is going to call "at some point" to arrange another appointment, and this makes me anxious, even though I will never quite be able to explain why. I feel ashamed of my anxiety (and depression), so I end up not telling people how it affects me, because I'm sure they'll be thinking I'm just making excuses to be idle. But then pretending I'm a normal person very quickly gets overwhelming and I end up freaking out and making a fool of myself. I probably look like the world's oldest toddler throwing a tantrum. Although I would tell other people that "running away screaming is always an option", I still feel like crap when it's me doing it. I feel as though people tried to be friendly and I just threw it back in their face. I feel as though I am causing everyone no small amount of trouble. I wish I could stop being human and not have to deal with people and society. I could be a formless spectre and just observe everything without having to be involved. I could be a statue, I sometimes feel as though I'm so inactive that I might be turning into a statue anyway. Clinical depression is where you're turning into a statue on the inside.

I'll post about this again so apologies to anyone who's had to read this already but the kind of things you're talking about make me think you might respond well to sentence repetition/exposure therapy. I had crippling anxiety for years and all of the calm yourself down by breathing and counting the colors in the room techniques did jack poo poo. Anyway I found a therapist who taught me sentence repetition and it gave me my life back. The gist of it is you pick a sentence that is so awful to you that it can actually hurt to think about. For me it was the embarrassment of having anxiety and needing to leave wherever I was and go home like from a restaurant, movie theatre, whatever. So my therapist would have me close my eyes and repeat either in my head or out loud, "I'm going to be anxious. I'm going to be anxious. I'm going to be anxious. I'm going to be anxious. I'm going to be anxious. I'm going to be anxious." over and over until eventually either A) the sentence lost its meaning and became boring, or B) my brain would go, "nah, ur fine". The tougher the thing, the longer it took. For really hard things it may take 10 minutes for my brain to switch over. It's a way to take advantage of our stupid poo poo brains' obstinate side and use that to our advantage. The secondary positive of this is YOU get to choose when you're anxious, not your stupid loving brain. YOU get to choose when you feel bad. That first session when I got to play offense instead of defense for the first time in years was amazing. It's a technique that is most successful with very intense anxiety but works with all levels. I don't remember the exact neuropsychology but iirc you are essentially letting your hypothalamus do the work it wants to do and then move on like it's supposed to.

Just using your post and the post of the goon who moved to Australia here are some examples of sentences you and they could try:

"I'm going to be anxious and I'll look stupid."
"I won't be able to fall asleep."
"People can tell I'm anxious/different/weird."
"I'm going to die (from the chest pains)."

If some seem more difficult than others start off with ones that are less intense. It took me some time to work up to "I'm going to die" in reference to chest pains or bullshit psychosomatic symptoms I used to get.

Reiterating:
1) Say the sentence aloud or in your head. The sentence should hurt, ideally physically (for me it's always in my stomach).
2) Picture the thing, if the sentence is you being unable to sleep, picture yourself tossing and turning and crying because you can't get to sleep.
3) Do it until your brain switches over.

And echoing the thread, see a therapist. They don't care if you're weird, they're weird too.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I don't know enough about psychology to say for sure but telling mentally ill people to force the most extreme negative thoughts into their heads over and over doesn't seem like the best advice

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I wish I could think of why I'm still alive, or just find something that makes me feel like getting up in the morning is worth it. I don't mean that in a "I'm a danger to myself" sort of way, just that everything is so bleak and so empty. Connections to friends, family, hell even consequences feel so fuzzy and distant. I'm going back to my therapist in the morning, but I'm not sure what she can do? I'm on plenty of medication, and if it's the wrong one, well there isn't much left to try.

Something's critically missing, and I don't know what.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jollity Farm posted:

i have a saved copy of the bdi 2 that i like to take every once and a while because a piece of paper saying that there's actually something wrong with me is very helpful since i've had issues so long that i can't really tell how im doing.

i think that there's something like it for anxiety but i have no clue what the name was

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I fractured my ankle last night, and told my boss that I might be working from home tomorrow as a result. They basically said they dont believe me, and that I have to come in anyway since my job involves sitting all day. They said if I didnt come in tomorrow, Ill need to bring proof from my doctor that I was actually injured.

Im a software developer, and I normally work from home 2 days per week. When I work from home, I remote in to my work computer, so whether I work from my home office or their office (which is a 1 hour drive away) Im literally looking at the same loving screen and working on the same loving computer. When I do work from their office in the middle of nowhere, I put earplugs in so I can actually do work, and I never say a word to anybody except good morning and good night. To the receptionist.

I loving hate my job, but Im scared of leaving on bad terms because I just know that negative poo poo from a former employer will make it incredibly difficult to find anything new. The way modern employment forces people to lick their employers boots if you want to build a career is bullshit.

Edit: Oh, and heres a fun US healthcare lol for non-Americans. To save money on employee health insurance, my company forces all new hires into a three month probationary period, during which we arent eligible for the companys health insurance group plan. When I was unemployed, I qualified for my states Medicaid public health program, which was excellent. When I got hired at this place, I was no longer eligible for Medicaid, but because of the probation period, I couldnt apply for the companys insurance, so I spent 3 months terrified of getting into an accident or needing any kind of medical care. Then the government made me pay a several hundred dollar fine for not being insured for 3 months. lmao

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 08:53 on Sep 20, 2019

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

It's been 4 days since I took my SNRI because I've just not been able to make it to the pharmacy before they close due to work (I'll make it today). Anyway it's loving creepy how much that affects your mood. It's legit that scene in Equilibrium where Batman hears Beethoven for the first time with emotions and breaks down, except stupid Disney songs from the 90s that happen to come up on my commute playlist.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I called back the person from the Work and Health programme and have another appointment for Tuesday. It turns out that telling people about your anxiety means they find it easier to help you! Who knew?

Then I got another call I wasn't expecting, but it turned out to be one of those "robocall" scam things pretending to be from MasterCard. gently caress off, fake MasterCard, I do not need your LIES today or ever :mad:

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So apparently the trauma doc wants to wake my dad today to put less stress on his lungs, while the neuro doc wants to wake him Monday to give his brain more time to heal. They've apparently gotta go before some oversight committee who will then decide.

But years ago my mom was in a coma for a few weeks, and when she finally came out of it she became a much crueler person and more than anything right now I'm terrified that is going to repeat itself with my dad. That my father will be alive and well but in a way the man who raised me died.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

So apparently the trauma doc wants to wake my dad today to put less stress on his lungs, while the neuro doc wants to wake him Monday to give his brain more time to heal. They've apparently gotta go before some oversight committee who will then decide.

But years ago my mom was in a coma for a few weeks, and when she finally came out of it she became a much crueler person and more than anything right now I'm terrified that is going to repeat itself with my dad. That my father will be alive and well but in a way the man who raised me died.

:sympathy:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Flavius Aetass posted:

I don't know enough about psychology to say for sure but telling mentally ill people to force the most extreme negative thoughts into their heads over and over doesn't seem like the best advice

I'm going to withhold judgement so long as there's actual psychological science behind it. My very first reaction was "uh maybe don't encourage that" but obsessive thinking is real real weird and counter intuitive. The more you try to ignore something, the larger it looms.

Probably best not to do it without a psychologist's support, though.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I wish I could think of why I'm still alive, or just find something that makes me feel like getting up in the morning is worth it. I don't mean that in a "I'm a danger to myself" sort of way, just that everything is so bleak and so empty. Connections to friends, family, hell even consequences feel so fuzzy and distant. I'm going back to my therapist in the morning, but I'm not sure what she can do? I'm on plenty of medication, and if it's the wrong one, well there isn't much left to try.

Something's critically missing, and I don't know what.

You may be experiencing existential depression, which is the worst and nastiest kind. It goes beyond "my life sucks and I hurt" to "oh my god I am devoid of meaning and staring into the abyss, help."

I highly highly highly recommend Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" if you haven't read it already. IIRC the three ways he recommends for putting meaning back into your life:

• Love: To love and be loved is a human requirement. If you don't have this, consider an easy to take care of pet. Doggos will love you forever but can be a bit of work. Cats are great because they're relatively low maintenance and love to purr in laps. If you can take the limited lifespan, you might also consider joining rat crew :snoo:
  • Work: Try to create something that will last beyond yourself, if even a little while. Writing, art, or even hobbies can help with this. I took up archery, it's rad and I recommend it :3:
  • Suffering: There is no better sense of fulfillment then stealing something positive out of (unavoidable!) misery. For instance: when I got out of the hospital, I knew I wanted to volunteer with NAMI to help prevent anyone else from going through that horror show. It was a massive step towards getting back on my feet.

Read Frankl's book though! I'm just some dope working off of sketchy memories and a couple of internet cliff notes sites.

Best of luck, and keep in touch. We'll be here.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

I highly highly highly recommend Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" if you haven't read it already. IIRC the three ways he recommends for putting meaning back into your life:

I have that book! And I really do second the recommendation, if anyone else was thinking about reading it. The phrase that really stuck with me was "Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'." Of course the trick is finding the right why.

Edit: If you're not familiar with the book, this is about Viktor Frankl's, an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist, time in a Nazi concentration camp. He talks about the experience, and what it did to his and fellow inmates mindsets, and what kind of of people survived in a place where there was no hope. Don't take it as "You have to have this much suffering to ride the logotherapy train", as even though the situation is different, there are a ton of similarities in depth of despair and hopelessness.

A small section from The Meaning of Suffering

quote:

We must never forget that we may also find meaning in life even when confronted with a hopeless situation, when facing a fate that cannot be changed. For what then matters is to bear witness to the uniquely human potential at its best, which is to transform a personal tragedy into a triumph, to turn one's predicament into a human achievement. When we are no longer able to change a situation--just think of an incurable disease such as inoperable cancer--we are challenged to change ourselves.

One passage I took a photo of that really spoke to the hosed up perception of time depression creates:

quote:

The Latin word for finis has two meanings: the end or the finish, and a goal to reach. A man who could not see the end of his "provisional existence" was not able to aim at an ultimate goal in life. He ceased living for the future, in contrast to a man in a normal life. Therefore the whole structure of his inner life changed; signs of decay set in which we know from other areas of life. The unemployed worker, for example, is in a similar position. His existence has become provisional and in a certain sense he cannot live for the future or aim at a goal. Research work done on unemployed miners has shown they suffer from a peculiar sort of deformed time--inner time--which is a result of their unemployed state. Prisoners, too, suffered from this strange "time-experience". In camp, a small time unit, a day, for example, filled with hourly tortures and fatigue, appeared endless. A larger time unit, perhaps a week, seemed to pass very quickly. My comrades agreed when i sad that in camp a day lasted longer than a week. How paradoxical was our time-experience! In this connection we are reminded of Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, which contains some very pointed psychological remarks. Mann studies the spiritual development fo people who are in a analogous psychological position, i.e., tuberculosis patients, in a sanatorium who also know no date for their release. They experience a similar existence--without a future and without a goal.

One of the prisoners, who on his arrival marched with a long column of new inmates from the station to the camp, told me later that he had felt as though he were marching at his own funeral. His life had seemed to him absolutely without future. He regarded it as over and done, as if he had already died. This feeling of lifelessness was intensified by other causes: in time, it was the limitlessness of the term of imprisonment which was most acutely felt; in space, the narrow limits of the prison. Anything outside the barbed wire became remote--out of reach and, in a way, unreal. The events and the people outside, all the normal life there, had a ghostly aspect for the prisoner. The outside life, that is, as much as he could see of it, appeared to him almost as it might have to a dead man who looked at it from another world.

The text is out of copyright, and can be found online for free. Here's a link to a PDF if you're interested

Sanguinary Novel has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Sep 20, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I have that book! And I really do second the recommendation, if anyone else was thinking about reading it. The phrase that really stuck with me was "Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'." Of course the trick is finding the right why.

Edit: If you're not familiar with the book, this is about Viktor Frankl's, an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist, time in a Nazi concentration camp. He talks about the experience, and what it did to his and fellow inmates mindsets, and what kind of of people survived in a place where there was no hope. Don't take it as "You have to have this much suffering to ride the logotherapy train", as even though the situation is different, there are a ton of similarities in depth of despair and hopelessness.

A small section from The Meaning of Suffering

One passage I took a photo of that really spoke to the hosed up perception of time depression creates:

The text is out of copyright, and can be found online for free. Here's a link to a PDF if you're interested

hell yeah :hfive:

You can also find copies cheap in just about every used bookstore. There always seems to be one or two floating around for :10bux:/2

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

mekyabetsu posted:

I fractured my ankle last night, and told my boss that I might be working from home tomorrow as a result. They basically said they don’t believe me, and that I have to come in anyway since my job involves sitting all day. They said if I didn’t come in tomorrow, I’ll need to bring proof from my doctor that I was actually injured.

I’m a software developer, and I normally work from home 2 days per week. When I work from home, I remote in to my work computer, so whether I work from my home office or their office (which is a 1 hour drive away) I’m literally looking at the same loving screen and working on the same loving computer. When I do work from their office in the middle of nowhere, I put earplugs in so I can actually do work, and I never say a word to anybody except “good morning” and “good night.” To the receptionist.

I loving hate my job, but I’m scared of leaving on bad terms because I just know that negative poo poo from a former employer will make it incredibly difficult to find anything new. The way modern employment forces people to lick their employers’ boots if you want to build a career is bullshit.

Edit: Oh, and here’s a fun US healthcare lol for non-Americans. To save money on employee health insurance, my company forces all new hires into a three month probationary period, during which we aren’t eligible for the company’s health insurance group plan. When I was unemployed, I qualified for my state’s Medicaid public health program, which was excellent. When I got hired at this place, I was no longer eligible for Medicaid, but because of the probation period, I couldn’t apply for the company’s insurance, so I spent 3 months terrified of getting into an accident or needing any kind of medical care. Then the government made me pay a several hundred dollar fine for not being insured for 3 months. lmao

I know bosses aren't your friend, but my boss has never once said no to a request to work from home and I appreciate the hell out of that about him. I cooked my back unloading a box truck full of my books and tools and stuff earlier this week.

I couldn't imagine giving the hint of a gently caress about a software person literally logging onto their work computer to get their work done, especially of they've shown the ability to do so 40% of the time anyway :psyduck:

and lol at that healthcare story. the us really is the worst. my wife and i qualified for some modest Obamacare subsidies during her last semester in college. She didnt work from January-July 2017 since was finishing up her RN degree. As a person who had to pay to work in a hospital for her clinical hours (really) she was required to have insurance. Obamacare was about half price compared to quotes I got from local brokers because we were a one-income household with my income being a newspaper reporter. We weren't making much money lol.

Anyway, being a registered nurse, she found work in about half a second after passing her boards and got hired as a RN-exempt paramedic and subsequently got benefits including insurance for us.

Anyway, we dropped our ACA coverage because we were now making a decent living. Then we filed our taxes. Apparently, the ACA only cares about your *yearly* income, not the income you are making while using the program, so we wound up with a surprise $3,500 tax bill the following winter. Had to set up a payment plan because we went from too poor to afford insurance to getting insurance through a new decent paying job. The American health system is clown shoes and if 2020 doesn't go well, I'm hoping to lasso myself to my spouse who can take her (now BS in nursing) degree to the canadian maritimes or something and I can take my new writing job with me across the border.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

Anyway, we dropped our ACA coverage because we were now making a decent living. Then we filed our taxes. Apparently, the ACA only cares about your *yearly* income, not the income you are making while using the program, so we wound up with a surprise $3,500 tax bill the following winter. Had to set up a payment plan because we went from too poor to afford insurance to getting insurance through a new decent paying job. The American health system is clown shoes and if 2020 doesn't go well, I'm hoping to lasso myself to my spouse who can take her (now BS in nursing) degree to the canadian maritimes or something and I can take my new writing job with me across the border.

I'm not saying I'm one of those FLEE THE COUNTRY types but, well, ja pratar lite svenska

e: in today's adventures in languages, apparently the swedish phrase for "let's agree to disagree" is "taste is like the butt" (always divided) but it seems very much like something cspam would lol at. so, there you go

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Sep 20, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

lol that's good poo poo, no pun intended

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Oooof. Incredibly sad tonight for no reason. Cool. Good.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Failson posted:

Oooof. Incredibly sad tonight for no reason. Cool. Good.

hope you're doing ok

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I am one of those "flee the country" types but for fucks sake don't go to the Canadian maritimes, or anywhere in Canada if you have better options. Saying as someone who fled Canada and is financially secure for the first time ever now.

Canada is super overrated (by Canadians) whose metric for success is being marginally less lovely than America, and being smug about it. It's still lovely for regular people.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Sep 21, 2019

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

mekyabetsu posted:

I fractured my ankle last night, and told my boss that I might be working from home tomorrow as a result. They basically said they dont believe me, and that I have to come in anyway since my job involves sitting all day. They said if I didnt come in tomorrow, Ill need to bring proof from my doctor that I was actually injured.

Im a software developer, and I normally work from home 2 days per week. When I work from home, I remote in to my work computer, so whether I work from my home office or their office (which is a 1 hour drive away) Im literally looking at the same loving screen and working on the same loving computer. When I do work from their office in the middle of nowhere, I put earplugs in so I can actually do work, and I never say a word to anybody except good morning and good night. To the receptionist.

I loving hate my job, but Im scared of leaving on bad terms because I just know that negative poo poo from a former employer will make it incredibly difficult to find anything new. The way modern employment forces people to lick their employers boots if you want to build a career is bullshit.

Edit: Oh, and heres a fun US healthcare lol for non-Americans. To save money on employee health insurance, my company forces all new hires into a three month probationary period, during which we arent eligible for the companys health insurance group plan. When I was unemployed, I qualified for my states Medicaid public health program, which was excellent. When I got hired at this place, I was no longer eligible for Medicaid, but because of the probation period, I couldnt apply for the companys insurance, so I spent 3 months terrified of getting into an accident or needing any kind of medical care. Then the government made me pay a several hundred dollar fine for not being insured for 3 months. lmao

ur old boss can't talk poo poo about u to ur new employer that is against the law they can only confirm whether u were an employee and dates

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Jollity Farm posted:

People can be more understanding of anxiety than you might think. I think people in general are becoming more aware that mental health issues != crazy and that most people have issues with ~something~.

*warning: breath insecurity ahead*

Two days ago I had a toothache start around noon, and at 3 pm it was still there. I'd never sought urgent dental care before, but I knew this poo poo wasn't going away and there was no way I was going to be able to sleep through the pain. So, I hauled rear end to the dentist, who was luckily able to see me around 4 pm. He took a look around and discovered a hidden cavity on one of my wisdom teeth. He says "are you ok to go home with your face numb?" and I'm like "...uhh yeah sure," so they prepped me for a filling. He gave me the needles, which were fine (but the ouchiest part), and then he came in with the drill.

And then they each got both of their hands into my mouth with all those instruments and oh god I can't breathe and I managed to give signs of distress without flipping out.

They pulled back and asked if I was ok and I weakly managed to get out "I've been having anxiety problems lately" through a few tears and the dentist said "ok, just relax for a few minutes while I go take care of something else and we'll see if you can continue."

Then I did my STOPP, and then a body scan, and that got me off the edge. When the dentist returned, I asked how long the drilling portion would take. He said realistically, about five minutes, depending on how it looked once he got in there. I told them it just felt like I couldn't breathe, and he told his assistant to maybe not move my tongue over. He said "so as long as you don't intentionally move your tongue over where I'm working, you should be fine." And then they went in again, and I was fine.

Afterwards, they both told me they thought I did really well, and that usually, once there's an initial panic, they're done for the day.

I know that dentists see anxiety more regularly than most professionals, but it still felt really good to feel like they didn't see me as a broken person because of the anxiety.

A month ago, before learning those exercises, I wouldn't have made it through.

CBT like what I use and thehandtruck mentioned has turned my life around. There are other interventions that might help you as well (like Designated Worry Time and cognitive restructuring). I think cognitive restructuring in particular might be helpful for you, especially when you think things like you're just pretending to be a normal person. You are a normal person... normal people have problems. You may not *feel* normal, but that's not the same thing.

As others have said, please see somebody who can help you. It may take some time to find the interventions that work for you, but it's worth the effort.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I am one of those "flee the country" types but for fucks sake don't go to the Canadian maritimes, or anywhere in Canada if you have better options. Saying as someone who fled Canada and is financially secure for the first time ever now.

Canada is super overrated (by Canadians) whose metric for success is being marginally less lovely than America, and being smug about it. It's still lovely for regular people.

Hey, what's up, fellow fleeing the Maritimes goon? I'm currently in NB and it looks like I'll be crossing the pond to Northern Ireland soon (like the next month or two). 100% agreed on Canada being overrated, or at least *this* part of Canada. Maybe it's better out West but a friend of mine who tried it and came back basically said "yeah, nah."

Like, people are all like "what about Brexit" and I'm like "my province is literally dying"

Tinestram has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Sep 21, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Hey, what's up, fellow fleeing the Maritimes goon? I'm currently in NB and it looks like I'll be crossing the pond to Northern Ireland soon (like the next month or two). 100% agreed on Canada being overrated, or at least *this* part of Canada. Maybe it's better out West but a friend of mine who tried it and came back basically said "yeah, nah."

Like, people are all like "what about Brexit" and I'm like "my province is literally dying"

I'm a Vancouver refugee but I've heard enough tales from maritimes people to know I'd never want to live there. There's a reason the population is collapsing. Maybe Halifax might be ok.

Vancouver has plentiful jobs, but you'll need two full time jobs to pay rent - four full time jobs if you want more than a one bedroom apartment in a junkie-infested area. The wage to cost of living ratio is more hosed up than anywhere in the world outside of Hong Kong, and they've been protesting for like 16 weeks straight now. Vancouverites only riot when our lovely hockey team loses again.

I'll admit life is pretty sweet for people whose boomer parents made millions off real estate and they actually share with their kids so they don't have to live in crushing poverty (my parents don't believe in helping/raising their kids in any way). It also seems to be great for the multi-millionaire mainland Chinese who are quickly becoming the majority, and the reason why cost of living is so hosed. But if you aren't in those two groups you're screwed.

Just moving to Melbourne, not a cheap city by most people's standards, caused my household income to go up by $30,000, I've got a normal, salaried Mon-Fri 9-5 job for the first time in my life, and pay half as much for housing despite living in a way nicer city that isn't deluged by constant rain and darkness. All other bills are about the same, except electricity which is admittedly way higher due to Australia's reliance on coal (Vancouver is mostly powered by cheap hydroelectric dams).

Americans think they've got the "hosed by capitalism" thing locked down, but Vancouver is the worst capitalist dystopia on the continent. It's the Cayman islands equivalent for China, just one big money laundering hub.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Mariana Horchata posted:

ur old boss can't talk poo poo about u to ur new employer that is against the law they can only confirm whether u were an employee and dates
This is what a lot of people who've given me advice have told me. I've read so many articles on job hunting sites that make it sound like an employer can completely destroy your career if you leave them on bad terms, but in reality, it sounds like most companies stick to dates of employment for fear of getting sued.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I witnessed first hand an employer give a bad reference to a good employee who quit so it still happens regardless of laws. But I also lived in a place where laws weren't enforced at all as mentioned last post so ymmv.

I ended up quitting myself after the same employer tried to use my tiny one bedroom apartment as his new office and also get me to use my car for work stuff with no compensation. He lied about it to the government when I filed for unemployment insurance, but I still won.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

She likes her family a ton and wants to stay close-ish to them, and the maritimes are as close as we can get that isnt Quebec and isnt the united states. We are super comfortable in collapsing lovely places to live. Is there something terrible about the maritimes that is somehow worse than rural iowa and new hampshire?