Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The thing that stood out to me with Versas was the drivetrain arthritis. Never felt such a degree of friction when steering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's good enough blame for me, they could have just bought the rights to the design of an already proven engine like a Honda K series or something, or just flat out buy them from Honda/Toyota/Mazda.

Would have probably ended up cheaper for them in the long run and they wouldn't have a rep for lovely engines.

I was just reading this: https://www.whatcar.com/news/2019-what-car-reliability-survey-brands/n20069

I'm not sure why Mazda and even GM aren't anywhere on that list, and the article doesn't seem to mention either so it seems pretty incomplete, but there's Kia up at #6. I understand Kia has recalled like 2.3 million cars, but unless damage had already occurred, it's just a software update as I understand, and they extended warranties if you do ever get the in-engine debris.

Edit: I'm guessing GM wasn't included because it's European only? Mazda sells cars in Europe though, right?

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 16, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What Car? is British so that helps explain your no GM thing

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I drove a Versa rental in Philadelphia for a few days, and it was the most hateful little thing I’ve ever had the displeasure of driving. No part of it actually seemed to WANT to be there. It was like an economy car designed to appeal to the people that design DMV waiting rooms.

I’d imagine that driving one at altitude would be a decent approximation of penance for ones’ sins.

I'll give it credit in being able to reasonably hold speed going up from Denver using the cruise control. It was probably like 500 RPM off redline the whole time, but it did it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What Car? is British so that helps explain your no GM thing

Vauxhall is the UK brand of Opel, which is the European division of GM, you ignoramuses ;)
And it’s about where you think it should be...

EDIT: Opel/Vauxhall cars are like bastard children of a Buick for the exterior and a Chevy for the interior. They are positioned about where Chevy would be sans pickup trucks, Corvette, or Camaro

morothar fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 16, 2019

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

morothar posted:

Vauxhall is the UK brand of Opel, which is the European division of GM, you ignoramuses ;)

I can't believe I forgot that. I was expecting to see GM there as Opel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

morothar posted:

EDIT: Opel/Vauxhall cars are like bastard children of a Buick for the exterior and a Chevy for the interior. They are positioned about where Chevy would be sans pickup trucks, Corvette, or Camaro

GME is dead and Vauxhall is the UK brand of Opel, which is the German brand of PSA. I think that’s why you don’t see GM on the list.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GME is dead and Vauxhall is the UK brand of Opel, which is the German brand of PSA. I think that’s why you don’t see GM on the list.

You’re right in that ownership transferred to PSA in... 2017? Pass me the crow so I can take a bite out of it.
Most of the vehicles in the line-up are still obvious GM products though - the Buick Regal and Opel Insigna still look painfully similar

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

I was just reading this: https://www.whatcar.com/news/2019-what-car-reliability-survey-brands/n20069

I'm not sure why Mazda and even GM aren't anywhere on that list, and the article doesn't seem to mention either so it seems pretty incomplete, but there's Kia up at #6. I understand Kia has recalled like 2.3 million cars, but unless damage had already occurred, it's just a software update as I understand, and they extended warranties if you do ever get the in-engine debris.

Edit: I'm guessing GM wasn't included because it's European only? Mazda sells cars in Europe though, right?

The software update for the Theta II issues doesn't actually solve the problem, it just updates the computer to use the knock sensor data to put the car into limp mode before parts start exiting the block at speed.
For Kia they have stated that the engine issues are caused by premature wear in the crankshaft bearings and no software update is going to fix that. The update is just so they can pull the engine apart and replace the bearings before the engine seizes because that's cheaper for them then replacing the shortblock.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

kill me now posted:

The software update for the Theta II issues doesn't actually solve the problem, it just updates the computer to use the knock sensor data to put the car into limp mode before parts start exiting the block at speed.
For Kia they have stated that the engine issues are caused by premature wear in the crankshaft bearings and no software update is going to fix that. The update is just so they can pull the engine apart and replace the bearings before the engine seizes because that's cheaper for them then replacing the shortblock.

Well right, how often does software actually solve anything, that's why I mentioned the extended warranty if you do encounter the issue later on. Have they or anyone else released numbers on how many people are actually encountering the issue though, because I haven't seen any. It's easy to say how many million cars were recalled but I have no idea how many are "affected", but they keep rating highly in reliability polls so I can only assume it's not a large percentage, or is it only happening over 100k miles or something?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

Well right, how often does software actually solve anything, that's why I mentioned the extended warranty if you do encounter the issue later on. Have they or anyone else released numbers on how many people are actually encountering the issue though, because I haven't seen any. It's easy to say how many million cars were recalled but I have no idea how many are "affected", but they keep rating highly in reliability polls so I can only assume it's not a large percentage, or is it only happening over 100k miles or something?

The motors usually pop between 60-90k mi and they have definitely replaced a lot of theta II engines over the past 3 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

morothar posted:

You’re right in that ownership transferred to PSA in... 2017? Pass me the crow so I can take a bite out of it.
Most of the vehicles in the line-up are still obvious GM products though - the Buick Regal and Opel Insigna still look painfully similar

Oh for sure, almost everything is all on Opel / GME platforms still. Only the Crossland X and Grandland X are on PSA platforms.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sadly we don't get the interesting stuff the Japanese brands sell in other parts of the world.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I want this.

Electric van, they say it'll cost as much as regular vans (likely super top spec ones though I imagine).

It's so clean looking. :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want this.

Electric van, they say it'll cost as much as regular vans (likely super top spec ones though I imagine).

Is it capable of going over speed bumps?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

david_a posted:

No.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

david_a posted:

Or, like anything with a 1 degree approach angle. That thing would get stuck just getting in and out of driveways.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
How about pebbles?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sadly we don't get the interesting stuff the Japanese brands sell in other parts of the world.

You’re not missing much. Kei cars kinda suck eggs (the S660 is loving rad though), the Toyota Mark X/Crown/Crown Majesta are kinda neat I guess, and the Breadvans, which are also sort of cool.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Frond posted:

You’re not missing much. Kei cars kinda suck eggs (the S660 is loving rad though), the Toyota Mark X/Crown/Crown Majesta are kinda neat I guess, and the Breadvans, which are also sort of cool.

If Toyota built a modernized chaser with an in-line 6 turbo of their own design with their Dual injection system I would buy that vehicle instead of hemming and hawing over M340s, S5s and Stingers.

All I care about are properly sporty Toyota’s within the Audi S4/S5 sportback mission profile.

Like I almost bought the M340 again last weekend and got cold feet because the ECU connections in the B58 motor are not sealed/insulated and vulnerable to weather related damage over time and because the timing chain is like an inch away from the firewall and can’t be serviced unless you pull the engine out of the engine bay.

Lastly I didn’t like how the turbocharger requires a separate electrically driven cooling pump to run while the car is shut off because I don’t trust BMW electronics.

The intercooler is mounted on top of the engine in some kind of brittle looking hard plastic housing that looks like it should be made of a more durable material. Finally I think due to heat dissipation issues there will be problems with cracking PCV tubes and other random crap and annoyances. The thought of all these things happening as I drive an otherwise remarkable car just upset me.

Toyota makes good easy to service engines with decent electronics. All I gotta worry about with them are O2 sensors and EGR valves. None of that is hard to deal with.

Basically I’m asking for Audi interior, BMW weight/balance/performance and Toyota reliability.
My only hope is if Lexus releases a next generation IS of slightly larger interior size to make up for the GS being cancelled and the LS500 twin turbo V6. My guess is they’ll continue using the 2GR-FSE for a 2020/2021 IS350 and that twin turbo ISF reboot will be 100k instead of 50-70k.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ilkhan posted:

How about pebbles?

No.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1174020807909171202?s=20

That's certainly going to be a fun fight.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want this.

It's a new paradigm in pedestrian safety.

Zero crash structure so that the same amount of damage is inflicted on the driver as the pedestrian, thus forcing people to drive more carefully.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Frond posted:

I was thinking more about the 4wd's and small(er) pickups.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's obviously designed to go on the roads from Minority Report.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Don't worry states' rights is totally a thing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

trump and trump voters are exceedingly stupid people so this seems about right

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No such thing as climate change so i don't see what the problem is :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't worry states' rights is totally a thing

states only have rights when they're being evil in service to capital and/or religious groups

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Kraftwerk posted:

Basically I’m asking for Audi interior, BMW weight/balance/performance and Toyota reliability.
My only hope is if Lexus releases a next generation IS of slightly larger interior size to make up for the GS being cancelled and the LS500 twin turbo V6. My guess is they’ll continue using the 2GR-FSE for a 2020/2021 IS350 and that twin turbo ISF reboot will be 100k instead of 50-70k.

So a Mercedes E450/E53, basically? Mercedes is arguably back up to at least Honda levels of reliability now that the bad old days of DaimlerChrysler are well behind them.

There's the Genesis G80 3.3T Sport as well. Though, honestly, I'd take the 5.0L V8 version while you still can.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

EnergizerFellow posted:

So a Mercedes E450/E53, basically? Mercedes is arguably back up to at least Honda levels of reliability now that the bad old days of DaimlerChrysler are well behind them.

There's the Genesis G80 3.3T Sport as well. Though, honestly, I'd take the 5.0L V8 version while you still can.

Are they? A used AMG GT S is starting to look like a sweet deal but I mean, hot-V turbo AMG V8 seems like it could be costly. Then again with a few exceptions the drivetrains were always the most solid parts of the car and the rest just deteriorated around the engine and transmission

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

EnergizerFellow posted:

Thanks for this. I can’t believe I overlooked this. They’re not exactly the same but I’ll check out the Genesis and E53. This new inline 6 they’re using sounds really good. Heck the entirety of this E53 sound like exactly the sort of experience I’m looking for.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Friend of mine has had a new E53 with the online 6 and he really likes it except for the road noise

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Are the auto manufacturers basically assuming things are going back to "normal" after Our Big Wet Presidnet is gone? Gotta be weird

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are the auto manufacturers basically assuming things are going back to "normal" after Our Big Wet Presidnet is gone? Gotta be weird

California will fight it in court until it becomes moot when Trump is out of office, so probably?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EnergizerFellow posted:

There's no word on Mercedes ever bringing the smaller AMG wagons here is there?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you mean the E53AMG or do you mean like... a C-class wagon? Because the answer to that is gently caress no to the latter and almost certainly not to the former.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

There's no word on Mercedes ever bringing the smaller AMG wagons here is there?

No we just get the glc or whatever cuv abomination.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Friend of mine has had a new E53 with the online 6 and he really likes it except for the road noise

This is easily solved by replacing the stock run-flats with PS4Ses, which are the tires that belong on every car, whether it's a Prius or a Unimog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

EnergizerFellow posted:

Mercedes is arguably back up to at least Honda levels of reliability

Is this true? I don't keep up with either brand much, but this is really hard for me to believe, unless maybe we're talking about 1.5 turbo Hondas. I mean, is there a level above Honda levels of reliability?