Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Morgans for next Strawhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dont gently caress with the Big News

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, there are so many cool theories on what the gently caress Blackbeard is going after. Pluton is a possibility, but he could also go try to recruit all the warlords for his crew. Of course, he could be going for the flame flame fruit too, especially if he thinks Sabo is dead.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe Shanks was advising Whitebeard to recall Ace because he knew Blackbeard could somehow steal and use the flame flame fruit? That would make sense, since otherwise why would he give a poo poo if Blackbeard killed Ace?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Going after Mihawk is probably the worst thing they could've done.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

tbp posted:

could the world government possibly have gone about this in a dumber way

They could have antagonised the 7 Warlords at the exact same time that 2 of the Emperors were starting poo poo in the New World!

Oh wait.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I’m most excited to see what Koby does, especially since he’s now a Rear Admiral. Congratulations, Koby!! Him working with X-Drake reminds me of Corazon. I wonder if Koby might actually wind up being the final boss? Imagine Luffy finally gets to the One Piece, and fights off Blackbeard in what everyone assumes is the final battle. Luffy eventually wins a hard-fought battle, and then stumbles his way over to the treasure, only for Koby to block him and be like “Luffy, I told you that if you became a pirate and I became a marine, we’d be enemies one day.” どーーん!!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

sweet, now the warlords are free to join the strawhat armada

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

sweet, now Buggy is free to take over the strawhat armada

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, there are so many cool theories on what the gently caress Blackbeard is going after. Pluton is a possibility, but he could also go try to recruit all the warlords for his crew. Of course, he could be going for the flame flame fruit too, especially if he thinks Sabo is dead.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe Shanks was advising Whitebeard to recall Ace because he knew Blackbeard could somehow steal and use the flame flame fruit? That would make sense, since otherwise why would he give a poo poo if Blackbeard killed Ace?

Given how he met up with the Five Elders in an attempt to prevent something, Shanks probably feared that Ace would lose and either be killed by Blackbeard (Whitebeard had his misgivings about going after Teach, but he probably wasn't gonna stand by after a second son was killed) or captured by the Navy (which is what happened, and war did break out) and that poo poo would break loose.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Actually considering The journalistic standards Big News has here I have to wonder why he let Dofly pull his little newspaper gotcha on Law back when.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

We have no idea what the fan reaction to Morgans is outside of this thread
I think it's safe to say that every single One Piece fan loves Big News Morgans

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Caidin posted:

Actually considering The journalistic standards Big News has here I have to wonder why he let Dofly pull his little newspaper gotcha on Law back when.

He's more than willing to be bought out and manipulate the truth. His reaction to getting a big fat check from the government is wondering which piece of news they want removed/altered/whatever.

He simply chose not to go with it because the story was so big he wanted to release it.

His journalistic standard isn't one of truth, it's one of being in control of the truth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Caidin posted:

imo morgans cares more about awesome-as-hell headlines than the truth

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Remember the last time Sabo died offscreen?He’ll be fine

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

Right? This is NOT COOL Oda! I hope it's wrong. Luffy shouldn't have to lose his new brother

Maybe he's been captured and someone else died but this time Luffy manages to save him?

Hahaha what is it with whoever eats the fire fruit coming down with a case of death?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Warlords haven't been at full capacity since Luffy took out Crocodile; he had his status revoked for being caught trying to coup a World Government kingdom, and the same eventually happens to Doflamingo. (And it's the testimony of the kings of Alabasta and Dressrosa that makes the case for shutting the system down) Jimbei lost his position for trying to rescue Ace, and Moria had it revoked after the Paramount War after being seen as too weak to be worthy of the title. Blackbeard was one briefly before the Paramount War and Law likewise before Dressrosa; I get the impression that part of the argument for ending the system is that pirates have come to see it as a stepping stone to greater power.

Of course, like a lot of the things the WG does, the basis may be logical but the execution is a mess; Jimbei and Hancock in particular were cases of Warlord status being a solution to an otherwise dicey political situation, and Mihawk seems content to actually do his job and gently caress up ambitious pirates to kill time. But this is what happens when the Fleet Admiral is a raging psychopath who sees everyone as either allies to obey (or superiors to be obeyed) or enemies to be annihilated.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
fuckin wano and reverie happening at the same time

be still my poor little heart!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
so where do they go.

Boa is definitely joining the armada.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AkumaHokoru posted:

so where do they go.

Boa is definitely joining the armada.

Hancock meeting the Barto Club is definitely going to be a complete riot that's probably going to end up in a fight even before she declares herself the one fiance of Monkey D Luffy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I bet Oda was dying to do the Mission Impossible face peel.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People, people, this is One Piece. There's no way an extremely formidable major important character (a goddamn Logia here) is going to be killed offscreen, especially when left hanging on vague plot threads. And the World Government has a history of lying and bad intel. (Jack has been pronounced dead two or three times iirc) There's been a big theme of how simply hearing people talk about something without a flashback is unreliable at best even when they don't have an agenda.

Also, jeez, Hancock is NOT going to let the World Government take her or a single Amazon alive.

Remember that Vice Admiral Momonga had to stab himself in the hand just to resist Hancock's powers while the rest of his subordinates were turned to stone.

The mero-mero fruit is played up for laughs, sure, but it's still pretty devastating.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
my prediction is that coby comes out as gay and can fight hancock on even ground

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think, based on the immediate context, it has to be Blackbeard believing Sabo to be dead and wanting the Mera-Mera no Mi for himself.

Also, Whitebeard cared so much because Ace was one of his sons of the sea, that's like... His whole thing. That's why the Squardo hug scene was so touching, remember?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 19, 2019

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Luffy and Coby from Chapter 1 have gone from a dude stuck in a barrel with no ship and some poor sap kidnapped and forced to work on a pirate ship to

Luffy: Captain of the most infamous crew in the world, bounty of over a billion and a half, head of a massive pirate armada, unofficially married to the most beautiful woman on the planet, best bros with multiple world leaders, has multiple major islands under his protection, beaten multiple warlords and is unofficially the Fifth Emporer.

Coby: Possibly the fastest rise in naval rank ever, able to loving knock out torpedos, hyper strong, highly respected, bros with high ranking officials, helped end the Summit War

My boys are all grown up.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I didn't think Coby vs. Hancock was a fight I ever expected to happen and be extremely excited for

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm mainly excited to see how badly she fucks everyone up. Mihawk is scary as gently caress, but remember that Boa got her rank after ONE SINGLE OFFENSIVE. The WG was like "oh gently caress give her the title we need to nip this in the bud quickly"

Also Mihawk is going to murder loving everyone who comes after him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cloks posted:

I bet Oda was dying to do the Mission Impossible face peel.

That was so good. Just casually tearing off his face and pointing a gun. Clearly they underestimated Morgans, should've sent someone who can use the Six Skills and thus doesn't need a gun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course, like a lot of the things the WG does, the basis may be logical but the execution is a mess; Jimbei and Hancock in particular were cases of Warlord status being a solution to an otherwise dicey political situation, and Mihawk seems content to actually do his job and gently caress up ambitious pirates to kill time. But this is what happens when the Fleet Admiral is a raging psychopath who sees everyone as either allies to obey (or superiors to be obeyed) or enemies to be annihilated.

It was the 50 Rulers decision not the WG's in this case.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
One Piece is the best!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I feel like Mihawk wouldn't have loving cared if he lost his warlord status and would have just gone back to chilling with Perona in his little crappy haunted castle, occasionally sailing out to gently caress up some up-and-coming pirate. He'd have been the tiniest blip on the world's radar.

Except for some reason the world government decided to send in a team to capture him which was just the worst mistake.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im guessing the world government was trying to prevent news of the warlord program being cancelled getting out so they could get a drop on the warlords

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crasical posted:

I feel like Mihawk wouldn't have loving cared if he lost his warlord status and would have just gone back to chilling with Perona in his little crappy haunted castle, occasionally sailing out to gently caress up some up-and-coming pirate. He'd have been the tiniest blip on the world's radar.

Except for some reason the world government decided to send in a team to capture him which was just the worst mistake.

Someone in wg has to know that it's a terrible idea, right?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

Mihawk doesn't just have Perona, he also has a group of apes with him who've basically learned the sword techniques of both Zoro and Mihawk

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Even if Mihawk lived on a deserted island with a palm tree and a soccer ball it would still be a.mounmentally awful idea to gently caress with him.

Mihawk doesn't even do anything. Dude just chills in his vampire house with his goth ghost gf and maybe destroys a pirate ship every so often. Why gently caress with him?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Even if Mihawk lived on a deserted island with a palm tree and a soccer ball it would still be a.mounmentally awful idea to gently caress with him.

Mihawk doesn't even do anything. Dude just chills in his vampire house with his goth ghost gf and maybe destroys a pirate ship every so often. Why gently caress with him?

If they got any intel about Zoro training under him, that would be a pretty good reason. Im seems to really have it in for the Straw Hats.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I assume the WG has some sort of plan for defeating the Warlords; maybe the Marines brought along Vegapunk’s latest weapons designed to replace the Warlords, and someone like Kizaru to help out against Mihawk specifically.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
still think they were trying to get the drop on them under the guise of still being allied but morgans ruined it and the marines were already committed to their missions

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

We have no idea what the fan reaction to Morgans is outside of this thread

Considering how he introduced like 6 or 8 lords of the underworld and then about 10 chapters later killed one and focused entirely on Stussy & Morgans I think it's more Oda realized the two big coolest ones that'd be the most fun to work with are the cool lady and giant news bird. And he was very right

Seriously after whole cake falls we never even hear about the other lords

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThingOne posted:

Going after Mihawk is probably the worst thing they could've done.

Yeah hes not gonna to lose to anyone but Zoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:bignews: :bignews: :bignews:

I hope Vivi is okay :ohdear:

Don't gently caress with Big News Morgan. He's a journalist.

If Sabo isn't dead and ends up captured, I want Luffy to go after him and succeed this time, and I want a re-do of the iconic "Luffy vs. the Admirals" scene.

Looks like Blackbeard wants to try and recruit the former warlords before the Marines capture them... or kill them for their fruits.

X Drake is an undercover marine and Coby is a rear admiral now :eyepop:

The marines going after Mihawk are in big trouble.

I want to see Hancock and Coby become friends over their shared Luffy fandom.

This is insane and I hope we get at least one more chapter of world-building but I understand if we go right back to Wano. I'm gonna be stoked either way.