Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It seems that Jimmy is very frustrated with his situation and seemingly blames himself for his inaction. Incidentally, what do people think the spiders are all about? Is Jimmy afraid of spiders or could it be a metaphor for unwanted physical contact?

Edit: Update on bottom of previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I said this before, but I have to believe that the emotional gravity of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is so much more effective if you're a parent, like Slowbeef is.

Jimmy's reaction to being in the hospital is more heartbreaking and unnerving than funny to me. Sure, the temptation to swear a lot is great when you're eight years old and it's usually played for laughs, but it's a legitimate source of frustration, to say the least, when you're being confined to a bed.

The spider nightmare dungeon is self-explanatory, at least to me. Jimmy is afraid of spiders, the dark, and especially both of them combined.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The big kissy spider with making the :shh: motion kinda reminds me of when the phlebotomist woke me up at like 4 or 5 in the morning for a blood draw when I had major hip surgery a few years ago. Could be that combined with his fear of the dark and dislike of spiders all rolled into one nightmare.

Also the orb scene where Jimmy is aware of his surroundings but can't move or do anything is a personal hell for me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Miz Kriss posted:

The big kissy spider with making the :shh: motion kinda reminds me of when the phlebotomist woke me up at like 4 or 5 in the morning for a blood draw when I had major hip surgery a few years ago. Could be that combined with his fear of the dark and dislike of spiders all rolled into one nightmare.

Redacted due to mild post-op body horror :v:

This, but it's not a phlebotomist, but a nurse with a catheter because you haven't been able to urinate in over 12 hours after they injected your lower abdomen with a paralytic to help with the surgical procedure they just did. And after the first nurse couldn't make things work. And after you spent an hour on Google finding out if it's a normal complication of said surgery to never be able to pee normally again.

If it helps, I got better.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
this is the only time we hear Jimmy speak

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Central Stamen and Central Hub (before corruption) have the best songs.

Miz Kriss posted:

Also the orb scene where Jimmy is aware of his surroundings but can't move or do anything is a personal hell for me.

Ohh the nurse theme makes so much sense. This + the arachnophobia that Buck gave to Jimmy with the spider movie.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Whisper Weaver looks like something out of Rocky Horror Picture Show. If GrandmaParty wasn't overleveled, he would be able to show off the proper fight with Jimmy where he goes through every imaginary form, besides Punch.

Slowbeef didn't mention TieTuesday's worst food crime attempt, and just the worst food crime overall: the "Hot Dr. Mac." It's a dehydrated Big Mac, rehydrated in Dr. Pepper microwaved for three minutes. It is a sight to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjlYgjqPl4

And it's "Taylor ham," not "pork roll." I will not hear arguments to the contrary.

Miz Kriss posted:

It's like "One" by Metallica, except that Jimmy wants to live and not die, and he's not bedridden from being blown up from war.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Whisper Weaver looks like something out of Rocky Horror Picture Show. If GrandmaParty wasn't overleveled, he would be able to show off the proper fight with Jimmy where he goes through every imaginary form, besides Punch.

Slowbeef didn't mention TieTuesday's worst food crime attempt, and just the worst food crime overall: the "Hot Dr. Mac." It's a dehydrated Big Mac, rehydrated in Dr. Pepper microwaved for three minutes. It is a sight to behold.

Honestly it was a bit shorter than I'd have liked but I'm erring on the side of overlevelled because I think we've seen most of what the battle system can do. I think the writing is far more interesting at this point in time as opposed to the mechanics, which we've had a ton of time on.

I won't super cheese it until later

TieTuesday stretches food crime into pica. Eesh. Love him. But that's hardly food. Big macs aren't supposed to crunch.

I think we'll do the hell stream a week from Saturday. All 100 floors of the nightmare dungeon and the boss thereafter.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 17, 2019

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
I am excited to see the 100 floor dungeon, because I can just focus on the commentary rather then splitting focus. Now, I just need to arrange my timetable and possibly arrange enough caffeine.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Deadmans Tea Party posted:

I am excited to see the 100 floor dungeon, because I can just focus on the commentary rather then splitting focus. Now, I just need to arrange my timetable and possibly arrange enough caffeine.

It's so bad.

Same rule as for Yiik hellstream, whoever wants to come in and chat can come in and chat and Kat will be there.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019

GrandmaParty posted:

It's so bad.

Same rule as for Yiik hellstream, whoever wants to come in and chat can come in and chat and Kat will be there.

Don't tempt me with a good time, I still have more Australian slang and weird facts about local wildlife.

For example, one I forgot to mention was the Great Emu War. I highly recommend looking it up.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Don't tempt me with a good time, I still have more Australian slang and weird facts about local wildlife.

For example, one I forgot to mention was the Great Emu War. I highly recommend looking it up.

Oh god don’t tell people, they’ll think Australians are weird.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh god don’t tell people, they’ll think Australians are weird.

The hope people wouldn't see us as weird died with Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin being our main exports.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I'm pissed they took off the battle report column on Wikipedia about it.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Don't forget cane toads. I don't think there's anything quite like them anywhere else in the world.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm pissed they took off the battle report column on Wikipedia about it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

You can fight this spider boss a lot earlier in the game - I think it's the first time you can see the Terminal status effect, which (along with Immunodeficiency) is one of the early hints about what's going on.

All of the orb scenes are so good. They reach for your heart and just yank, while giving a glimpse at the real people behind the dream.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Breadmaster posted:

Don't forget cane toads. I don't think there's anything quite like them anywhere else in the world.

No, they're actually imported animals and basically the entire reason Australia is super heavy-handed with people bringing in foreign animals. The entire story is super dumb and basically Sugar Cane farmers were having problems managing the Cane Beetle, thus we brought in the Cane Toad because "obviously" it would eat Cane Beetles.

Cane Toads don't eat Cane Beetles, because one lives at the bottom of the Sugar Cane and the other at the top, thus we now have an animal that outbreeds native species, is basically inedible, and spreading steadily accross the country in a plague of awfulness.

Also they explode if you hit them in the wrong spot and are incredibly poisonous.

So they do exist elsewhere in the world, they're a pest in Australia because they're not supposed to be in Australia. We have similar problems with Rabbits.

Also yeah so far the end game is fantastic for Jimmy's story.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Qrr posted:

You can fight this spider boss a lot earlier in the game - I think it's the first time you can see the Terminal status effect, which (along with Immunodeficiency) is one of the early hints about what's going on.

All of the orb scenes are so good. They reach for your heart and just yank, while giving a glimpse at the real people behind the dream.

The first time you can see the terminal status effect is on the iron flamingo, the first time. The deathbots can give it to you there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Qrr posted:

You can go into the spider nightmare dungeon as soon as you get the Rotting Jack O'Lantern form since you need that to burn down the spider web blocking the entrance. I don't recommend it, though. The enemies there are stronger than most of the other nightmare dungeons.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 40 is up

So an internet rando wanted to commentary and then kind of ghosted so we're going to put some rules in the future about that. Luckily, I'm married to Katherine, who is a treasure and a shitbird.

Hope you like talking about penises and me getting my chops busted.

Also the drat cat tried to wrap herself around the microphone.

I will do the volcano properly next episode. Same with Timothy Mouse and the Knights.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm imagining the Phoenix empathy scene transitioning to the end of *Birdman*, with Buck staring out the window in awe. Somebody draw that, please.

Also, it's not that nobody *likes* Nina Tucker. You're missing some pretty important context here.

Also also, I'm pretty sure something will happen if you go see Ludwig after lighting up all the light-bulbs.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Way, way back in the LP, GP mentioned that the thing on Jimmy's jacket in his Goon form was a phoenix. He was right. Deep down, Jimmy knows what's going to happen and just wants a chance to live again. :smith:

The Legato Knights are tough, definitely one of the harder boss fights in the game. They'll kick your rear end in only a couple of turns if you're not careful. The reward is so, so worth it, though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Legato Knights are tough, definitely one of the harder boss fights in the game. They'll kick your rear end in only a couple of turns if you're not careful. The reward is so, so worth it, though.

The wiki says it best. "Use immolate. Pop pop pop, watch the motherfuckers drop."

Problem is surviving until then.

Even overlevelled, we're at the point now where we can definitely still lose boss fights.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

NewMars posted:

The first time you can see the terminal status effect is on the iron flamingo, the first time. The deathbots can give it to you there.

Don’t they just instakill on your first visit? You are not meant to fight them the first time round.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Qrr posted:

Don’t they just instakill on your first visit? You are not meant to fight them the first time round.

They dont insta-kill you, theyre the same monster, stat and move wise.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

GrandmaParty posted:

The wiki says it best. "Use immolate. Pop pop pop, watch the motherfuckers drop."

Problem is surviving until then.

Even overlevelled, we're at the point now where we can definitely still lose boss fights.

I'd like to point out that Immolate has a warm-up instead of a cool-down. Kasey knew what was up with it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

By the end of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, there is no such thing as being overleveled. You'll either be underleveled or at the exact right level for what you're fighting. The Legato Knights fight is a taste of what's to come, in my mind.

Solitair posted:

I'd like to point out that Immolate has a warm-up instead of a cool-down. Kasey knew what was up with it.
Also when you use it, it has a two-turn cooldown. I'd say it's the Phoenix form's best move by a good margin, since Helga has the healing and revive moves. Combine it with a magic boost like GP's been doing and you'll wipe out a good chunk of HP from most bosses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wow great LP, time to send it to the LP Archive I guess.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kissy spider?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 41 is up

Why would you want this? I gave you a happy ending. Don't watch this one. It's long. Like longer than all the rest. Because there's credits.

KalirSavant the internet rando joins me! And I only thought SA watches this thing.

And he manages to do the impossible: he makes me talk about the game. Holy poo poo.

I'm not posting *that* video until we beat the super bosses.

There's still some things we have to do.

Make sure to watch the credits.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I'm... I'm not sure I like the implications of all those specters floating around in the ending and the text getting hosed up by the end. :ohdear:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Two things I didn't notice in my own playthrough: "close your eyes", and those guys having been represented by statues in the space segment. Huh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sometnihg feles...fof

E: Also comparing an indie RPG to Earthbound is so played out in 2019, but there's some strong Gigyas energy coming from the use of a background layer as your final boss "sprite".

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 24, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm debating what the secret knowledge actually is. Is it lucid dreaming? Is it going into the light?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I’ve always thought that it was just acceptance. Everybody in Jimmy’s world is only able to reach the end of their story when Jimmy accepts that he’s at the end of his.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

OOrochi posted:

I’ve always thought that it was just acceptance. Everybody in Jimmy’s world is only able to reach the end of their story when Jimmy accepts that he’s at the end of his.

Yeah, one interpretation I found on TV Tropes (I know, I know, bear with me) is that Jimmy feels a tremendous amount of guilt for having cancer because of how miserable it's made his family, and that defeating the Pulsating Mass represents him getting over that guilt. In this reading, the Secret Knowledge probably represents what a therapist would tell him, that none of this is his fault and he deserves his family's love.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Before tonight's episode, I figured we were gonna get an "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" moment, but that didn't seem to happen, unless I'm missing something. (It's a phenomenal story that's influenced a bunch of things. I've only watched the French short film though.)

I do like that if we're gonna assign each family member a stage of grief (Andrew = denial, Buck = anger, Helga = bargaining, Lars = depression) then it'd be fitting that Jimmy himself would be acceptance.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So what exactly are those things in the end credits supposed to be? I could never figure that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NewMars posted:

So what exactly are those things in the end credits supposed to be? I could never figure that one out.

Aren't they cultists from the Inward-looking Eye Temple?

Leroy Dennui posted:

Two things I didn't notice in my own playthrough: "close your eyes", and those guys having been represented by statues in the space segment. Huh.

That's the part that eludes me: why are they in space??