Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What about the recent cases where SIM cards were cloned (through social engineering) and the phone accounts captured? In that case, the phone still thinks it's the true phone, and Google Auth continues to merrily run? Or did I misinterpret what was going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, that's not how it works for things not SMS.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What about the recent cases where SIM cards were cloned (through social engineering) and the phone accounts captured? In that case, the phone still thinks it's the true phone, and Google Auth continues to merrily run? Or did I misinterpret what was going on?

Cloning a sim card does not compromise the authenticator app running on your phone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This works because SIM cards are technically their own little realm, basically a tiny microcontroller, some even have their own little apps, which can let you hijack and clone the SIM and use it against SMS two factor.
This has been a known issue for...what, at least half a decade? SMS Two factor was always considered risky, because even in the early days of SMS it was easy to spoof.

However, 2FA applications are different, run at the user level, and required achieving root or system level to read out the database for the 2FA app. So not possibly by just cloning the SIM.

Check out the DEFCON talk on SIM Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31D94QOo2gY

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 19, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

However, 2FA applications are different, run at the user level, and required achieving root to read out the database for the 2FA app. So not possibly by just cloning the SIM.

I can't speak to Android phones, but at least on iOS anything stored in the enclave would still be protected. And at least the MS Authenticator app stores it's db there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

I can't speak to Android phones, but at least on iOS anything stored in the enclave would still be protected. And at least the MS Authenticator app stores it's db there.

I know if you root your phone the db can be read to back it up, either way its way outside of what a SIM will be capable of doing or is allowed to talk to/access.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 19, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CommieGIR posted:

This works because SIM cards are technically their own little realm, basically a tiny microcontroller, some even have their own little apps, which can let you hijack and clone the SIM and use it against SMS two factor.
This has been a known issue for...what, at least half a decade? SMS Two factor was always considered risky, because even in the early days of SMS it was easy to spoof.

However, 2FA applications are different, run at the user level, and required achieving root or system level to read out the database for the 2FA app. So not possibly by just cloning the SIM.

Check out the DEFCON talk on SIM Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31D94QOo2gY

Cool! Thank you!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Fool posted:

We have mandatory MFA for any logon outside of our primary network.

Some of the more advanced systems will use GeoIP lookups relative from the previous logon to figure out if it needs to throw in a 2FA challenge or let you through without the extra step. It's pretty nice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Some of the more advanced systems will use GeoIP lookups relative from the previous logon to figure out if it needs to throw in a 2FA challenge or let you through without the extra step. It's pretty nice.

Sounds similar to one of the alerts in Microsoft Security Center called "impossible travel time" or something like that where it will do a GeoIP lookup and do an alert if it's be impossible for the user to log in in that time period in both places. It has a lot of false positives, but it's not like a 2FA challenge is the end of the world. That's interesting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds similar to one of the alerts in Microsoft Security Center called "impossible travel time" or something like that where it will do a GeoIP lookup and do an alert if it's be impossible for the user to log in in that time period in both places. It has a lot of false positives, but it's not like a 2FA challenge is the end of the world. That's interesting.

It mostly catches people using proxies which has become my reporting hell for the last month.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

The problem we've run into with it is sometimes Microsoft's logon requests for O365 get bounced through IPs that are further than normal, which kicks the 'impossible travel' warning.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powered Descent posted:

Yes, let's all tell the disabled person exactly what they can and can't do on account of their disability, of which we know nothing except the vague category that it falls into.

I said disabled people can do the same/better job then the rest of us.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding 2FA, I saw it brought up elsewhere and made me curious. Why is the 2FA challenge (usually) only polled after a correct login with a password? That pretty much tells an attacking entity that the very least the password is correct, and might mark it for reuse on other sites. Why not just do 2FA on the same page as the main login? Or why not just fall through to the 2FA page regardless of a correct login or not, and only then fail if either is wrong?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding 2FA, I saw it brought up elsewhere and made me curious. Why is the 2FA challenge (usually) only polled after a correct login with a password? That pretty much tells an attacking entity that the very least the password is correct, and might mark it for reuse on other sites. Why not just do 2FA on the same page as the main login? Or why not just fall through to the 2FA page regardless of a correct login or not, and only then fail if either is wrong?

How would you prompt for 2FA before entering login information? Am I misunderstanding what you're asking?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

The Fool posted:

I can :), but it's a separate discussion. If you can compromise the OS that doesn't mean the enclave is un compromisable and all that data is safe. As an industry we think far too highly and rely on trusting opaque as hell enclaves with lots of C code and IPC mechanisms and surely nothing could go wrong (hint, it goes wrong).

As a 2FA phones are great, there's a what you have that you carry with you anyways.

SMS is not using your phone as a 2FA, SMS is using your phone number as a 2FA -- that's why it's lovely. Mobile networks and providers were not designed around phone number ownership being "hard".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

How would you prompt for 2FA before entering login information? Am I misunderstanding what you're asking?
If it's 2FA using an app like Authy, generating a code, you could just slap a third field asking for it straight on the login page.

--edit: Wait, I get it. If 2FA is optional, this is a problem. I suppose the site in question could check on the fly, as soon you entered the login handle, whether it's needed and add the field appropriately. To obfuscate checking for password validity, I guess.

--edit2: Well, that, or just display the field anyway with a note a la "If you use 2FA, please fill in the code".

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 19, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If it's 2FA using an app like Authy, generating a code, you could just slap a third field asking for it straight on the login page.

--edit: Wait, I get it. If 2FA is optional, this is a problem. I suppose the site in question could check on the fly, as soon you entered the login handle, whether it's needed and add the field appropriately. To obfuscate checking for password validity, I guess.

--edit2: Well, that, or just display the field anyway with a note a la "If you use 2FA, please fill in the code".

Ohh sorry, I see what you mean. One thing there, like you said, is that proper practice is not to give any indication to the user other than a generic authentication error if you enter a bad/missing/whatever username or password. This prevents guessing, and means we don't confirm to the user if the username exists or not. As for your edit2, that's essentially the same as a post-authentication prompt, isn't it?

You're definitely hitting on some good points though! MFA is interesting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Not confirming whether a username exists only works when the username is different from the email, otherwise its possible for the attacker to use the email to check whether it exists or not, unless you also make that error message something like "If this user exists, a mail should arrive at some point" or something to that effect.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

I said disabled people can do the same/better job then the rest of us.
It all depends on the disability. You don't know my life, you don't know how my particular disability changes it. Some disabled people genuinely cannot work, and it's frustrating to have those who can held up as role models. For those who worried about my having a hobby, I'm working on a novel.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure the AWS console will show the 2fa prompt screen even if the password is wrong. I've gotten a few users come to me with "It keeps prompting me to resync my token, I'm about ready to say gently caress mfa" but in reality they just got their password wrong.

It does expose that the user does exist, and does have mfa though. I'm also not sure if it does it with yubikey auth instead of TOTP.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mandatory MFA for all users and the field is just part of the login form :getin:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since most 2fa systems are a push topology now, you would effectively be entering a username you know about then swamping that poor sucker with sms codes/robocalls/softtoken push notifications

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MS is doing a thing where you can change your primary authentication method to mobile auth instead of a password. It's available for live accounts, azure ad and adfs.

The user experience is provided through a paginated form, where you type in your username, submit, then are presented with your primary authentication method.

I really like the mobile auth flow since you can get two factors (possession + biometric) off of the device and eliminate passwords entirely if your business will let you.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think that's really MFA. It's two things you are and one thing you have. Nothing you know.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think that's really MFA. It's two things you are and one thing you have. Nothing you know.

It does throw in a lot of the Azure monitoring and behaviour analytics in there. Lots of checking is done from location to source to device to time-of-day profiling. I'm glad about phasing out passwords overall, they suck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There’s an implication that you know how to unlock the phone, but that can repeat a factor. That said, 2FA seems like it’s MFA, unless that term moved around underneath me.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, as Subjunctive pointed out, two factors are still multiple factors.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

EssOEss posted:

Yeah, as Subjunctive pointed out, two factors are still multiple factors.

Okay, true, but only in the sense that a username and password is MFA, which most people would not describe it as.

Subjunctive posted:

There’s an implication that you know how to unlock the phone, but that can repeat a factor.

I suppose that's not THAT different from a password manager.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, username is never considered and authentication factor, it is for identification only.

Your two factors are:
Thing you have (your phone)
Thing your are OR thing you know (biometric or pin)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It all depends on the disability. You don't know my life, you don't know how my particular disability changes it. Some disabled people genuinely cannot work, and it's frustrating to have those who can held up as role models. For those who worried about my having a hobby, I'm working on a novel.

Okay everyone, I am going to stop being positive and assume everyone in here is an idiot and incapable of doing things.

I am sorry for saying nice things!

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 19, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How happy are you, as security professionals, with fingerprint recognition unlocking phones? I've heard they're easy to spoof, and Google at Android 10 is moving toward using it as the primary unlock for e.g. LastPass. (Yes, I know about LastPass, my husband prefers it to 1Password, it's not a battle I feel like fighting.)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

From a practical point of view: random rear end in a top hat that steals my phone isn't going to be able to do anything with it

From a theoretical point of view: law enforcement can compel you to unlock your phone with biometrics but can't compel you to give up a password.

Any other scenario is irrelevant

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How happy are you, as security professionals, with fingerprint recognition unlocking phones? I've heard they're easy to spoof, and Google at Android 10 is moving toward using it as the primary unlock for e.g. LastPass. (Yes, I know about LastPass, my husband prefers it to 1Password, it's not a battle I feel like fighting.)
On iPhone at least you can press the power button 5 times to force the phone to lock so that you have to enter your passcode to unlock. I've gotten into the habit of doing that whenever I put my phone back in my pocket or down on the table, whereas I only use the fingerprint reader for when I'm sitting with my phone and I look away long enough that it auto-locks after a minute. Passcode is set to 6 numbers instead of 4.
It took a while to get used to, but it seems to make best use of the passcode for security and fingerprint for convenience.

One of the biggest things I've learned over the years is that security cannot completely compromise convenience, otherwise security will get circumvented in ways that completely defeat the security (writing passwords on post-it notes attached to monitors at work, and other dubious ideas of that nature).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They can be spoofed, but are not "easy to spoof". I feel just fine with them. Android, like iPhone, now has the "lockdown" mode to require a password when tapped. Fingerprints for mobile devices are a good balance of practicality and security.

I'm uninformed on facial unlock, when it comes to Apple's Face ID or the upcoming Pixel one.

D. Ebdrup posted:

One of the biggest things I've learned over the years is that security cannot completely compromise convenience, otherwise security will get circumvented in ways that completely defeat the security (writing passwords on post-it notes attached to monitors at work, and other dubious ideas of that nature).

Yup totally.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Fool posted:

No, username is never considered and authentication factor, it is for identification only.

Your two factors are:
Thing you have (your phone)
Thing your are OR thing you know (biometric or pin)

Then... you only have one factor with username and phone authentication. It's only two if your phone requires a password/PIN/biometric to unlock, which is not at all guaranteed or mandatory.

Also there is clearly some disagreement on this, because I've been told in the past that a username is a thing you are (as it is traditionally immutable once created and is used to identify you).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If I see your username in a leak, I assume that the password is also compromised. Its semi-protected information, but not strictly dangerous.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Then... you only have one factor with username and phone authentication. It's only two if your phone requires a password/PIN/biometric to unlock, which is not at all guaranteed or mandatory.

In the context of an admin deploying MFA to their users you absolutely can guarantee that.

quote:

Also there is clearly some disagreement on this, because I've been told in the past that a username is a thing you are (as it is traditionally immutable once created and is used to identify you).

Yes, it is used to identify you only and is not a good authentication factor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scrolling though this, I keep thinking "holy gently caress, good riddance"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Potato Salad posted:

Scrolling though this, I keep thinking "holy gently caress, good riddance"

Reader was good, tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU