Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I remember thinking how, if I got into an accident with the 348, how there'd be very little chance of any repro parts existing for bodywork. I'm sure the W220 is widespread enough to have DEPO lights and whatever for body panels. Dropping it off in the morning and trying to get a clearer answer about what's gonna happen if the body shop finishes their work under cost but there's all sorts of lingering electrical gremlins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I remember thinking how, if I got into an accident with the 348, how there'd be very little chance of any repro parts existing for bodywork. I'm sure the W220 is widespread enough to have DEPO lights and whatever for body panels. Dropping it off in the morning and trying to get a clearer answer about what's gonna happen if the body shop finishes their work under cost but there's all sorts of lingering electrical gremlins.

Youre not making this claim to your own insurance, right? This is on the other drivers?

He hit you I assume - you didnt have repro parts on your rare, limited production super saloon. Dont settle for repro parts as theyre not like kind & quality. You might have to put up with that if you were making a claim against your own insurance, but not in this case, gently caress that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tremek posted:

Youre not making this claim to your own insurance, right? This is on the other drivers?

He hit you I assume - you didnt have repro parts on your rare, limited production super saloon. Dont settle for repro parts as theyre not like kind & quality. You might have to put up with that if you were making a claim against your own insurance, but not in this case, gently caress that.

MA is no-fault. Everything goes through your insurance, and then they chase the other party's insurer for reimbursement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dropped the car off this morning. I listed the major non bodywork issues as:
- fast leaking left rear strut (parked it Sunday night, it was fully drooped this morning, which is way faster than before)
- stuck pneumatic headrests
- soft close doors not working

The shop said they would look at it, and bring it up with the insurance company to decide whether they would be covered as caused by the accident. Sounds wishy-washy, but I'm not surprised that a body shop is gonna pass the buck on stuff like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good luck dealing with the insurance company man. My wife had to get pissy with the adjuster and threaten to get our lawyers involved more than once to get a fair market value for my car when it got totaled recently. Their excuse for the initial low ball offer was "there were scratches and chips in the paint" yeah no poo poo.

Offer went from 6k to 8k after threatening legal action.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

sharkytm posted:

MA is no-fault. Everything goes through your insurance, and then they chase the other party's insurer for reimbursement.

That is a gigantic pile of horseshit. Even then, dont settle for repro parts kimbo.

If you have to dick with your own insurance, how the hell do you attest to not having made a claim on your insurance in the past 3/4/5 years when asked by a new insurer? How do you fight for diminished value? This sounds extremely consumer-unfriendly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
in MA you can't claim diminution of value as of right now, there's a suit to change that

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Speaking of coverage for accidents, I got tire and wheel coverage when I bought my S. I hit a bad railroad crossing. Killed one TPMS sender and split the opposite tire where the sidewall meets the bead.

Tire covered and replaced. Waiting on final word for the TPMS. They've got me a C300 loaner. Gosh it's small.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

GPF posted:

Speaking of coverage for accidents, I got tire and wheel coverage when I bought my S. I hit a bad railroad crossing. Killed one TPMS sender and split the opposite tire where the sidewall meets the bead.

Tire covered and replaced. Waiting on final word for the TPMS. They've got me a C300 loaner. Gosh it's small.

if they dont, you can get aftermarket ones that will work. any tire shop should have em.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Preoptopus posted:

if they dont, you can get aftermarket ones that will work. any tire shop should have em.

Yep. You can get 4 brand new ones on eBay for fifty bucks, so they better approve replacing the busted one. Hell of a lot cheaper than the tire by a long shot.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Tremek posted:

This sounds extremely consumer-unfriendly.

You just deal with it and they ding you for being involved in an accident/making a claim. It's extremely rad and not at all lovely or stupid.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
I forgot to finish talking about this situation. They ended up paying all but $20 for the TPMS replacement, 100% on the tire replacement.

kimbo, how did the insurance claim on your car end up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A few weeks ago, the body shop sent an amendment to the insurance for $1000 more ticky tacky trim stuff, and the insurance sent me the invoice letting me know that they'd approved it.
I haven't heard from either the shop or the insurance since...

I'm sort of morbidly curious if the shop just forgot to let me know that it's done, or if it's run into some weird parts availability, or if they're onto trying to restore other body functionality.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Goddammit!

Parked to have dinner. Pulled out and caught the front bumper on the concrete car stop. Yanked the bumper off the passenger side!!!

Local shop fixed it for free, but argh!!!!!!!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

We're in the middle of an extremely intense house remodel, so yet another reason I haven't really been paying close attention.
In the middle of repacking stuff to move around for contractors to work, I found another letter from my insurance.
There was a 3rd (2nd supplemental) invoice from the shop. I didn't even look at what it was. $670.
That was 10 days ago, so not complete silence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So over the weekend, the Element got scraped again when we had to park on street for getting our parking spot repaved.
The same adjuster who did the S65 came out, and I chatted with him a bit on the S65. He said he wasn't dispatched to either of the supplemental appraisals because of the distance, but that if there were two, with work having already been done by the time the 2nd was requested, then the insurance company is in it for the long haul, even if they end up upside down on it.

He knows of a couple cases where they had to pay out more than the cost of the car after committing to repair. With that, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the car back, and the issue will boil down to how much I need to lobby for things to get 100% squared away.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I cant remember if this is the unofficial ruinous financial decision thread or the other one, but Im sitting on a beach and just did this so Im sure there will be laughs for all:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-mercedes-benz-s65-amg-12/

Tremek fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 15, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tremek posted:

I cant remember if this is the unofficial ruinous financial decision thread or the other one, but Im sitting on a beach and just did this so Im sure there will be laughs for all:

Finally got one of bruce_m's V12s, eh. I'm scratching my head at how he has managed to corner the market on that niche.

If yall haven't see, here's what he's listed on BaT:
https://bringatrailer.com/member/bruce_m/
good 80% Mercedes and half of those have V12s.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tremek posted:

I always liked how the *65 cars had their own specific exhaust tips that were just a bit different from that standard AMG exhaust tips.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

Nice my man!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Last night I sucked it up and emailed the shop to see where things were at. They emailed back saying to call, and that one person had been unsuccessfully trying to reach me for a while.
I called in, and turns out the car had been moved to the Mercedes dealer from the body shop a while back, and had been sitting 2 weeks, ostensibly ready.

The body shop guy told me that the dealer had put in a huge amount of work diagnosing possibly related issues, to the tune of $180. Which is maybe 2 hours? Not a lot of diagnosis in my mind, but whatever.
Here's the rundown.

air struts: never seemed to droop at the body shop. I wouldn't have expected them to if the car was being moved every few days, though. Dealer found some small leaks on the front struts (that might cause the ABC error to come on), no issues in the rear. Insurance specifically rejected fixing the front struts -- totally fair.

trunk: replaced trunk works fine. This is maybe the one small win here.

headrests: body shop verified that they're not controllable from the front, but functional via the back door controls. Dealer dug into this, and found a screw that is puncturing some pump/accumulator for the headrests located in the rear quarter panel. So a prior fix and not related to the crash.

The dealer also reflashed stuff and wrote up other noted ssues, like the rusted rotors.
There's no work left to do at this point; the car's just waiting to be picked up. The dealer is much closer to me than the body shop, so I need to call back tomorrow to remind the body shop to tell the dealer to hold the car for me.

My insurance never told me about the car moving to the dealer, but maybe cuz there didn't end up being any supplemental work that actually got approved.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Probably not a bad thing that the dealer did the work.

What are you going to do with it once you have it back?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tremek posted:

Probably not a bad thing that the dealer did the work.

What are you going to do with it once you have it back?

Definitely looking to sell. Not sure if I should even attempt BaT on no reserve now that it has an accident.

My folks are stopping in Boston on their vacation flight, so hopefully I can pick them up in style at the airport.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The dealer (probably after prompting from the shop cuz I finally called in) sent over a detailed doc of issues they picked up, with varying degrees of scare mongering.
Here's the page with their fix quotes:

So the PSE pump that the PO had replaced was no good. The continuous running must be what I'm hearing, and probably at least somewhat involved with the faulty pneumatics.
I need to ask about the two exhaust items in the middle of the list -- the body shop person told me that they had addressed issues with the exhaust, which are apparently NLA NOS.
If they dealer thinks there's problems after the body shop fix, that's def something to be covered as part of the crash.

My fave line item is $866 for that one passenger weight sensor.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

My fave line item is $866 for that one passenger weight sensor.

I think BMW wanted close to 1k for it on the E90. The first one they covered most under good will since a lot of other cars were covered, but not mine. On the second E90, there was no good will, so I bought the part for under 200, removed the seat, replaced the sensor, and discovered it would cost me another 200 in programming to enable it. Still cheaper.

It's bullshit all around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

I think BMW wanted close to 1k for it on the E90. The first one they covered most under good will since a lot of other cars were covered, but not mine. On the second E90, there was no good will, so I bought the part for under 200, removed the seat, replaced the sensor, and discovered it would cost me another 200 in programming to enable it. Still cheaper.

It's bullshit all around.

What the gently caress. Programming to enable a sensor, great job at draining every penny you possibly can BMW :golfclap:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What the gently caress. Programming to enable a sensor, great job at draining every penny you possibly can BMW :golfclap:

BMW home of programming your new battery par for the course for them

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The passenger weight sensors are bullshit expensive on everything. The one in my Volvo was like $700 and that was a 2007.

That's the price of a precision industrial grade counting scale with 17025 accredited NIST traceable calibration.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 17, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does anyone have access to what domestic or Japanese dealers are charging for weight sensors for their cars? I feel like $200 would be an extremely high margin price for such a part.

Also, I forgot to call yday, but def need to do it today before they ship it back to the body shop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the f-150 it seems to be part of an $1,100 track assembly

https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97550

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/track-assy-seat-7864373-1#sectionId:4087572

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ford parts costs have been awful last few years, I got tapped on the rear corner in a 2013 Mustang and the taillight parts cost was $1200.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
The second part of that weight assembly is getting it calibrated after installation. It's a special assembly they put on the seat with specific weights. Probably not going to find a regular shop that has it, only a dealer. I had the same problem in my E320 and after looking up all the cost and pain, I just made sure my wife wore her seatbelt.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford parts costs have been awful last few years, I got tapped on the rear corner in a 2013 Mustang and the taillight parts cost was $1200.

And they're between two and five times more in Canada.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Also, I forgot to call yday, but def need to do it today before they ship it back to the body shop.

gently caress, forgot again!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At the dealer picking up. The service wing has a really nice valet area. Theres a shelf of courtesy wiper fluid and theyre all stickered as flammable. Or flameable to be exact.

Its been 20min off me just waiting for someone to go get my car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I was waiting cuz the car's battery was flat (on account of being extra taxed by the PSE, according to dealer and probably true). They were trying to open the trunk, but the tumbler wouldn't turn with the key blade.
Called the body shop, and they swore up and down that they swapped the tumbler after a lot of work extracting it from the old assembly. I have no reason to believe they're lying about the swap, but I bet they didn't really test it out.

Eventually, a tech was able to power up the car from some posts in the engine bay, which let the trunk up and gave access to the battery for the jump.
The carpet panels in the trunk were in disarray. I asked the service manager about that -- he didn't know that the car was supposed to be ready for pickup. There must have been some miscommunication with the body shop, because they said it was done and all paid for, when the desk tried to make me pay $620 for... the diagnostic hours? Just usual ball dropping bs.

I drove over to the indy Mercedes shop (maybe a mile away) and talked to Nick abuot replacing the PSE, the only thing that seemed worth fixing if I'm gonna sit on the car a few months before selling off, since it'd actively make the car harder to drive and show. You should have seen the look on Nick's face when I pulled up -- it was like, "oh, wasn't expecting you but not surprised."
Nick said he could do the work, but if the dealer was charging $1000 parts and labor, to just take it. So I drove back to the shop to set up that work. And to pick up my folding bike that I used to bike over -- I live a 10min bike ride away from the dealer.

So the remaining little issues that I sent along to the insurance agent and the body shop:
- rear tumbler doesn't work with key
- rear tow hook cover has busted tabs and won't stay in
- tank/gas cap open light coming on intermittently
- ripped door handle trim, which I don't recall in any report and also don't remember as prior damage: https://i.imgur.com/mOmFbdP.jpg
- possibly battery-related fritzing on the dash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhDE8GqkbLk

The body shop said it was fine with picking the car up to work on those. I'm going to drop the car back at the dealer on Fri for the PSE work and try to get them to hold onto it until the body shop comes to get it.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

What is your pre-safe unavailable error source?

Follow on question for the group is there anyway to diagnose that particular error without throwing it on a STAR code reader?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mythadile posted:

What is your pre-safe unavailable error source?

Haven't scanned it. Maybe it'll just be this: https://www.benzworld.org/threads/pre-safe-unavailable-message-after-battery-drain.1871369/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-mercedes-benz-s65-amg-15/
only 3k more than what I paid :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
:(