Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Was the WFP upset about AOC winning? I know that Crowley ran on their ticket against her in the general, but they asked him to step down from it so they could endorse her instead.

I do not believe they endorsed her, and I can’t find a source saying they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Where is the source? It says “the undersigned” but has no signatures. This reads like an open letter or a press release. Where did it come from?

Seemingly a leak but I wouldn’t go flying it around just yet. The closest thing to the real deal is one of their pr guys going on twitter to suggest releasing vote totals is racism, but that’s about it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yep, equitable housing will be an uphill battle after the general because of a judicial challenges and obstructionist state governments, the primary does not matter. We did it. We cracked the case, close this thread, close USPOL, close dadchat, close this entire forum and merge CSPAM into TFR. Good hustle, everyoen.

I am furthermore in glorious awe of the "politican with the highest favorables and largest and deepest grassroots organization in america should step aside and let Gloria la Riva run on the democratic ticket" like hahahahaha there's no way you didn't have to hold your nose at your own bullshit typing that out.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It's been mentioned before how immensely ironic it is that the people who frequently accuse the left of being "nothing matters" posters are the same ones who are quickest to gleefully assert that nothing left-wing could ever pass Congress.

Like yeah, it's true that Congress isn't going to pass MfA, but that's also true for literally any bill that would actually be substantively good. At least electing a genuine advocate like Sanders, who is willing to encourage and support a political movement pushing for those things, creates the possibility for public opinion to lead to them being passed in the future. Sanders being president would effectively make the things he supports at least somewhat mainstream by default, and the media wouldn't be able to ignore what the president is saying in the same way that they can ignore left-wing advocacy groups.

It is a real head-scratcher.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

Cross posting. What a loving joke the WFP is .

I guess they realized "We support Warren because <list of Bernie's policies> and also selfies" was not very convincing and are trying to shift the narrative away from how their leadership getting 50% of the vote obviously handed their endorsement to Warren.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Office Pig posted:

Seemingly a leak but I wouldn’t go flying it around just yet. The closest thing to the real deal is one of their pr guys going on twitter to suggest releasing vote totals is racism, but that’s about it.

They also had someone doing the "so there's a problem now that we have black leadership" schtick. This also conveniently popped up a little earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1174718357024780288

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1174749998308896768

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nate Silver's post-debate Dem Tier List is out
Bernie is on the bubble to top tier, but Harris is firmly out of it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Nate Silver's post-debate Dem Tier List is out
Bernie is on the bubble to top tier, but Harris is firmly out of it.

Nobody should still give a poo poo about Silver.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

It was leaked, apparently. Certainly echoes some horseshit being circulated by WFP leadership.

Who leaked it? Who published the leak? There's nothing about it on Google, and the only non-rando posting it on Twitter is Eoin Higgins, who describes it as a letter issued by the WFP. Where the heck did it actually come from?

I'm not outright saying it's fake, but even leaks don't usually appear from nowhere like this.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1174753640386633729

I love how there's a major divide on Diet Pepsi, of all things

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not outright saying it's fake, but even leaks don't usually appear from nowhere like this.

yeah it seems a bit too on the nose and engineered to produce outrage. Plus it's clearly a screenshot of a word document.

Not that people don't use .docx to send out documents, it's just very rare, and very exploitable, because you can edit a word document to say anything with zero effort

I'm extremely skeptical and assuming it's a fake until proven otherwise

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DaveWoo posted:

https://morningconsult.com/form/consumer-preferences-2020/ Is the thing he's refrencing, and in it Sanders supporters actually support banks more than Warren supporters, 11% to 3%.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DaveWoo posted:

I. loving. Love this. Data junk food, omnomnomnomnom.

I don’t know if there’s anything to be gleaned from this, except that Bernie supporters somewhat defy stereotypes more than Warren and Biden supporters. Although most things were about where you might’ve guessed. People sure love TV and movies, huh? It is slightly worrying that almost all brands were regarded strongly positively, considering they’re all at least a little evil.

I like Diet Pepsi a lot but I swear I’m not a Biden supporter.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

"Man gently caress Diet Pepsi!"
-Bernie Bros, apparently

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mahoning posted:

-Bernie Bros, apparently

accurate

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheLvl99Skrub/status/1174735423656120321?s=19

:lol:

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I’m waiting to hear from my friend who works for WFP whether or not that letter is true. If it is, it’s truly damning. I’ve already cancelled my membership regardless; I only signed up ‘cause of that friend anyway.

Mahoning posted:

-Bernie Bros, apparently

As an extremely dedicated Diet Coke gay, I approve this message.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Who leaked it? Who published the leak? There's nothing about it on Google, and the only non-rando posting it on Twitter is Eoin Higgins, who describes it as a letter issued by the WFP. Where the heck did it actually come from?

Eoin is a pretty good journalist, so he wouldn't be pulling it out of his rear end. It was probably an early draft, that got shot down when people realized what was gonna happen.

The fact that that letter leaked, but the vote totals haven't, just makes me pretty convinced that leadership vote was 100% Warren, which means Bernie got ~70% of the membership to Warren's ~20%.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

joepinetree posted:

Eoin is a pretty good journalist, so he wouldn't be pulling it out of his rear end. It was probably an early draft, that got shot down when people realized what was gonna happen.

The fact that that letter leaked, but the vote totals haven't, just makes me pretty convinced that leadership vote was 100% Warren, which means Bernie got ~70% of the membership to Warren's ~20%.

The fact that they released their vote totals for the last election a couple years ago is the biggest red flag.

This entire charade is a microcosm of how bad the management class is across the country. If this is how they act at a solidly left leaning organization, then the rest of the country is hosed.

I also wonder how much anti-Semitism is hurting Bernie. It’s weird how you see hot takes about Warren’s sex or Harris’s race affecting perception of them, but Bernie’s Jewishness seems to be forcefully ignored.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
For what little it’s worth, my friend said he doesn’t believe anyone on staff wrote it, and he doesn’t know who leaked it. Also for what it’s worth, I doubt very much he’ll want to speak on the record.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mellow Seas posted:

I too am horrified by the fact that politicians are politicians.

AOC and Sanders have Good Opinions but they wouldn’t be where they are if they didn’t consider their constituent’s opinions of their actions with everything they do. Also, we’re talking about an imginary endorsement that hasn’t happened yet and may not for months.

It’s like when someone plays out a whole future conversation in their head and goes “yeah imma tell that guy”.

How big is the support for Warren in AOC's district? Can someone show me a map that outlines this? Because I don't think it is going to e very big.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cillizza and enten had sanders at 7th in their power rankings before the campaign started.

they had beto in 3rd.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
e; disregard. im old and slow

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

the constitution, by default, only allows direct taxes if they're proportional - e.g., $x per person uniformly regardless of who you are, or a land tax of $x per acre applied uniformly nationwide. turns out this is really useless, so we passed the 16th amendment to make income taxable. nothing i am aware of at the moment allows federal taxation of property in a way where it could be selectively levied on property owners we don't like. if anything, doing that (via amending the constitution) would be a far more dramatic and sweeping change than anything suggested so far.

this is the test from south dakota v. dole and it'd probably fail the nexus requirement. the way to do this is to create new sources of money states get only if they do the thing you want to do, but the problem is the same as we see with medicaid expansion from the ACA, some red states won't opt-in even if you make it incredibly lucrative for them

A bunch of red states eventually accepted the expansion, so tbf that might be a good way to go on housing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Buttigieg just released his healthcare plan.

It is literally called Medicare For All Who Want It. Like, that's not hyperbole. That is the actual name used on his actual healthcare page on his actual website as the actual name of his healthcare plan.

Similarly, the slogan he uses to describe his plan is "We must ensure that everyone has an affordable option for health coverage that guarantees access to care when they need it".

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1174766091928842241

It's not good! I notice right away that his public option is such a complicated mess of tiers and opt-ins and eligibility requirements that it explicitly provides a side fund for helping to subsidize the debts of people who "fall through the cracks" and end up uninsured, not on the public option, and unable to pay the bills they've racked up.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Judakel posted:

How big is the support for Warren in AOC's district? Can someone show me a map that outlines this? Because I don't think it is going to e very big.

That’s a pretty good point. Demographics would certainly suggest it’s very low. I’d also be interested in that data if anyone has it. (Seems unlikely.)

E: I get your larger point: that if AOC were to endorse Warren it wouldn’t be so much about winning her district as much as higher political ambition. I’m sure that if she thought she could be Speaker or President she would believe she was doing it on behalf of the left; of course, that kind of thing is a very slippery slope.

In any case the time her endorsement would be most effective hasn’t come yet, so I think it’s safe to say she hasn’t done anything wrong as of now.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 19, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Her district went for Hillary in 2016 by about a 60/40 margin over Bernie. I don’t know how that translates (if at all) to Warren vs Bernie, but it’s the closest easy to find comparison.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mahoning posted:

Her district went for Hillary in 2016 by about a 60/40 margin over Bernie. I don’t know how that translates (if at all) to Warren vs Bernie, but it’s the closest easy to find comparison.

I would guess Biden is doing much, much better than Warren in terms of wrangling that Hillary support. But who knows.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

Buttigieg just released his healthcare plan.

It is literally called Medicare For All Who Want It. Like, that's not hyperbole. That is the actual name used on his actual healthcare page on his actual website as the actual name of his healthcare plan.

Similarly, the slogan he uses to describe his plan is "We must ensure that everyone has an affordable option for health coverage that guarantees access to care when they need it".

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1174766091928842241

It's not good! I notice right away that his public option is such a complicated mess of tiers and opt-ins and eligibility requirements that it explicitly provides a side fund for helping to subsidize the debts of people who "fall through the cracks" and end up uninsured, not on the public option, and unable to pay the bills they've racked up.

On a quick skim I don't think I hate it, but Medicaid For All* is better and simpler and you're correct that simplicity is itself an administrative virtue.

* yes I'm still defending the stupid pedantic hill that Medicare For All isn't and shouldn't be actually Medicare for everybody and it annoys me that the misleading branding is probably the correct strategic choice :argh:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

rko posted:

I’m waiting to hear from my friend who works for WFP whether or not that letter is true. If it is, it’s truly damning. I’ve already cancelled my membership regardless; I only signed up ‘cause of that friend anyway.

As an extremely dedicated Diet Coke gay, I approve this message.

The letter is real, but the source is from elsewhere
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1174776073608925184

The WFP did post an actual thing (on Medium, naturally), and buried within is this little nugget:

quote:

But the contention we’re seeing about “leadership” overturning the “membership” is fundamentally an argument that only some voices inside the WFP are legitimate; that only the online member vote should count, not the delegates serving on the WFP National Committee.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Christ, just rename it the Oligarchical Families Party.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol this is so incredibly revealing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, it's as clear an admission of the split as you will ever get.

"We're not going to show any numbers that might indicate that there was a split, but if there was a split anyways, it is completely legitimate and you are being antidemocratic if you don't think 50 people should be able to overturn the will of 100000 rank and file members."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

should even like a 60-40 split be enough for an organizational endorsement this early? I'd be hesitant if one I was involved in did, but maybe I'm just a coward

fortunately, the local animal shelter hasn't endorsed a candidate yet :v:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1174784191390765061

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who is this endorsement for? Like who is the person on the fence between these two who cares about the WFP endorsement and also didn't vote in their poll?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Well, he's half right.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Who is this endorsement for? Like who is the person on the fence between these two who cares about the WFP endorsement and also didn't vote in their poll?

Ultimately? It's not for voters, it's for narrative building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Office Pig posted:

The letter is real, but the source is from elsewhere

Makes sense, a cursory google of some other leadership names is telling me that there aren't a ton who could lay claim to that minority identity claimed in the letter.

Oh, okay. Equally plausible that they don't want to release results because it wasn't a poll of just their membership, and that split could be embarrassing.

quote:

Current WFP members and grassroots supporters will also receive 50% of the total vote share. A WFP member is anyone who pays dues of $10/month or $120 in the past year. A WFP supporter is anyone who has previously engaged with us and signed up to WFP's email or text list. You must be a current Working Families Party member or supporter as of Monday, September 2nd, 2019 to participate in this vote. All WFP supporters who are not dues-paying members had the opportunity to participate by signing up to affirming our values before September 6th.

e: as near as I can tell, the 2015 Sanders endorsement was not a vote that included online supporter randos, and was an actual membership-only vote. Could be wrong though.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2019