Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pants Donkey posted:

So do the Pros have 3D touch or not? People said it was retained in 13.1, but the specs say all 11s are haptic touch instead.

3D Touch is no longer a thing. All is haptic touch now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

How do we update apps now?

App Store > click your profile picture in the upper-right. It should tell you how many apps you have to update. Pull down to refresh.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Courtesy of the Verge:

The Verge posted:

Here’s how to update your apps:

Open the App Store.

Tap on your Apple ID profile picture in the top right corner.

If you have updates already pending, they’ll be at the bottom of your screen. If you want to refresh the list, just pull down.

If you have updates ready, tap “Update All” at the top of the updates list and watch those update circles fill.

e;f;b

I already had 7 updates waiting...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

mediaphage posted:

It's funny, I was kind of envious of 3D touch functionality. I have an SE which was the latest phone not to have it. Finally upgrading to an 11 Pro, so looks like I'll have missed 3D touch completely! But the alternative iOS13 functionality sounds good and it's just as well that I won't have to un-learn any force touching behavior.

Is this the kind of thing that may have contributed to the battery life improvements?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

iOS 13 also seems to tweak the battery level algorithm.. I was at 100% battery on a 7 before the upgrade, after the upgrade it's at 95% for some reason. And I've had it plugged into power (12W Apple adapter) all the while..

Also, it seemed to automatically set Bluetooth to On, even though I had it off at the start of the upgrade.

Bluetooth seems to chew up a lot more power now, just was listening to a podcast and saw 4% power disappear in about 5 minutes?!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Haptic Touch is just a fraction of a second slower than 3D touch, it's definitely noticeable if you used 3D touch a lot (all 12 of us).

Binary Badger posted:

iOS 13 also seems to tweak the battery level algorithm.. I was at 100% battery on a 7 before the upgrade, after the upgrade it's at 95% for some reason. And I've had it plugged into power (12W Apple adapter) all the while..

Also, it seemed to automatically set Bluetooth to On, even though I had it off at the start of the upgrade.

Bluetooth seems to chew up a lot more power now, just was listening to a podcast and saw 4% power disappear in about 5 minutes?!

Planned obsolescence, time to upgrade!

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I definitely missed 3D Touch when I went from a 7 to a XR but the stuff in ios13 has been a good enough replacement. The only thing really lacking is pressing anywhere on the keyboard for text selection. using the space bar is okay but you can’t select like you used to be able to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

canyonero posted:

App Store > click your profile picture in the upper-right. It should tell you how many apps you have to update. Pull down to refresh.

Thanks for this, even though I have automatic updates on it seems I have 57 apps from the last week or so that haven't bothered for some reason.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Don't forget about the reindexing that's meant to happen in the background each new major OS version.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is anyone else having trouble with Reminders on beta.icloud.com after upgrading their reminders?

Now I'm in the situation where all my reminders are on my iPhone, absolutely none of them are on my iPad (but I have 3 empty "New List"s for some reason) and I have all my lists displaying on beta.icloud.com (icloud.com's Reminders app isn't ready for the update I guess...), but 3 of them are empty and the other 2 just get stuck on the loading spinner. If I make a new reminder or list on my phone or icloud.com they'll eventually sync up after a few hours now, but that wasn't happening before.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

astral posted:

Don't forget about the reindexing that's meant to happen in the background each new major OS version.

That's probably what's making my battery level drop temporarily.. sheesh.

It also redownloaded mail in all my accounts, a mix of Office365 and dumb old IMAPs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In a really dumb change: tap your account picture, then hit the Update button.

Pants Donkey posted:

So do the Pros have 3D touch or not? People said it was retained in 13.1, but the specs say all 11s are haptic touch instead.
Phones with 3D Touch continue to have it. New phones do not.

EDIT: Remember to check a new page!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was able to create a memoji even though I am still on a 7+. Was this added for us non-X havers?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mediaphage posted:

The contrast between 3D Touching (ugh) an app and using the new tap-and-hold is neat. With 3D Touch, the haptic feedback is meant to trick your brain into thinking the deep pressing of your fingertip caused the app icon to click. The icon's animation shifts slightly into the foreground when this happens. Now, the icon animation and the timing of haptic feedback have changed to make it seem like the app icon is bounding deeper into the screen, clicking on contact, and bouncing back out into the foreground.

It adds a few milliseconds to the overall operation but whatever, it's nice to know that someone was this critical of the top level user interface when replacing a gesture.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
SO if my current phone is on 13.1 beta... and I want to restore my new phone tomorrow from backup, is the simplest thing to do just to get my current phone OFF beta right now (to GM 13 or whatever) and then back that up? Then restore from that tomorrow?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

SO if my current phone is on 13.1 beta... and I want to restore my new phone tomorrow from backup, is the simplest thing to do just to get my current phone OFF beta right now (to GM 13 or whatever) and then back that up? Then restore from that tomorrow?

To go to GM 13, you'll have to wipe everything anyway, so I guess it's pretty much just an extra, unnecessary step.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I was able to create a memoji even though I am still on a 7+. Was this added for us non-X havers?

Yep! Didn't they add some portrait mode support for some older phones at some point, too?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The updates were always funny anyway. I had to manually update all the time, even though I had automatic updates on. I'm always plugged in and connected to wi-fi at night. I guess this isn't going to much different either...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

enojy posted:

The contrast between 3D Touching (ugh) an app and using the new tap-and-hold is neat. With 3D Touch, the haptic feedback is meant to trick your brain into thinking the deep pressing of your fingertip caused the app icon to click. The icon's animation shifts slightly into the foreground when this happens. Now, the icon animation and the timing of haptic feedback have changed to make it seem like the app icon is bounding deeper into the screen, clicking on contact, and bouncing back out into the foreground.

It adds a few milliseconds to the overall operation but whatever, it's nice to know that someone was this critical of the top level user interface when replacing a gesture.

They’ve had lots of experience with this sort of thing as it’s how it’s worked on Mac for a while in terms of faking, so they mostly combined how they treated 3D Touch with the Magic Trackpad. And while I’m sure battery improvements come from a number of areas, some journalists are making that claim (between sensors and volume).

I prefer 3D Touch in terms of speed and hardware functionality, but since they can’t do it on iPads, it’s better to have a unified experience. I despised that stupid peek / whatever functionality though. It was clunky and it should have always been a context menu or the equivalent.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Looks like, was able to create a personal emoji to represent myself in contacts. And I'm on a 7.

Burst mode in the Camera app seems to be much faster, with added machine gun-like sound effects.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where's this new sloth emoji???

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does double tapping to zoom in safari not working anymore?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Residency Evil posted:

Does double tapping to zoom in safari not working anymore?

It works, but yeah, it seems weirdly finicky now, especially if you're tapping a link. Like I can tap to zoom into the link to this thread, but trying to double-tap the same exact spot to zoom back out just clicks the link on the first tap. Intentional behavior, maybe?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

enojy posted:

It works, but yeah, it seems weirdly finicky now, especially if you're tapping a link. Like I can tap to zoom into the link to this thread, but trying to double-tap the same exact spot to zoom back out just clicks the link on the first tap. Intentional behavior, maybe?

Ugh. I guess I should use the app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mediaphage posted:

We gave up on that and just stick to aeroplan, which pays for the Christmas trip east and the occasional unplanned trip every year.

Same. I’ve been to Japan twice in the past two years for what is essentially free, minus the taxes. About to book my 2020 next month :B

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

What I don't get is why the competition is to put wider lenses into a phone. Back in the single camera era it already felt ridiculously wide to me.

Wouldn't more optical zoom be way more useful? :iiam:
I feel like I use wide more often than more zoom on my camera...but in the phone context yeah the telephoto isn’t exactly super zoomed to begin with. Course I think people are used to wider rather than zoom shooting to begin with so I can understand going with ultrawide. And you can fake zoom in (even of it looks like garbage), but there’s no way to fake zooming out.

rage-saq posted:

IIRC it does take it with two of the lenses, it can’t do the 3rd because the sensor is not fast enough or something. Maybe next years will have a fast enough sensor.
It takes the current plus next wider lens I think, not sure it’s turned on by default though. It can probably do all the cameras, like that Filmic app can do video on all of them simultaneously (including the front), so I think it’s just a matter of capturing just a bit more and not cropping accidentally, and giving more crop flexibility after the fact. I guess if you’re shooting telephoto they’re assuming that you’re probably not that concerned about stuff happening in the ultrawide. And if you’re on wide/ultrawide, all the stuff in the closer lens is technically already there, just less detail than it could be.

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe something to do with the new smart charging or whatever? I forget the exact details but iirc it doesn’t charge fully except when you leave it charging long enough like overnight, I think there’s supposed to be some learning going on there to know when it’ll be a good time to charge fully in your schedule. It’s a trick to reduce battery wear, I think Teslas do a similar thing (but it’s a manual setting to limit charge level there).

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
I'm picking up a phone tomorrow after having been on the apple upgrade program for the past year. Will I be expected to trade in the old phone immediately, or can I keep the old device for a few days?

(picking it up from the reopened 5th ave store fwiw)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So the iPhone 11 loses a 2x optical zoom?

I guess the XR that it's replacing never had a 2x zoom, but if you had a 7+ or 8+ that will definitely be a change.

Violator
May 15, 2003

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

I'm picking up a phone tomorrow after having been on the apple upgrade program for the past year. Will I be expected to trade in the old phone immediately, or can I keep the old device for a few days?

(picking it up from the reopened 5th ave store fwiw)

You have to give it back immediately. If you order online you can keep your old phone for up to 14 days IIRC before having to send it back.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for this, even though I have automatic updates on it seems I have 57 apps from the last week or so that haven't bothered for some reason.

Long press the App Store icon and tap update.

E: Who was doing that tips list? I think that could be added to it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 19, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has Apple support stopped doing the live chat thing? After running through the questions of what problems I need sorted I only ever seem to be routed to "Give us a call, or schedule a time for us to call you"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I don’t mind them removing the 3D Touch hardware, but I am baffled as to why they removed the functionality from phones that do have it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Krispy Wafer posted:

So the iPhone 11 loses a 2x optical zoom?

I guess the XR that it's replacing never had a 2x zoom, but if you had a 7+ or 8+ that will definitely be a change.

Correct

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

sleepwalkers posted:

I don’t mind them removing the 3D Touch hardware, but I am baffled as to why they removed the functionality from phones that do have it.
They didn't? I can still 3D Touch stuff on my XS running 13.1 beta to bring up menus and stuff.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

sleepwalkers posted:

They mostly didn’t as far as I can tell, but they added the haptic functionality doing the same thing on top of it, meaning stuff that used to be a difference of 3D Touch vs long hold (peek/pop, rearranging apps vs menu, etc) are gone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m on a Xs and I don’t think there’s any difference with the gestures. You can still force touch all the things.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Question Mark Mound posted:

Has Apple support stopped doing the live chat thing? After running through the questions of what problems I need sorted I only ever seem to be routed to "Give us a call, or schedule a time for us to call you"

There was something like “show all options” or “show more” or whatever near the call button last I used support. Hitting that would offer chatting as an option.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m on a Xs and I don’t think there’s any difference with the gestures. You can still force touch all the things.

You can't pop anymore :rip:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zwille posted:

There was something like “show all options” or “show more” or whatever near the call button last I used support. Hitting that would offer chatting as an option.
That's gone now I guess. All it has is two links for the public support forums or the general support page for Reminders, both of which just link back to the support homepage anyway for some reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh. I guess I should use the app.

The awful app is cool and good. Use it.