Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Rugikiki posted:

.I dunno, feels like Slaanesh’s domain?

Hashut. His domain is burning hate and fire. Basically the god of kitchens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Rama of Ra posted:

We just have one blackened, warped-to-poo poo baking sheet just for this purpose.

I have worked in multiple kitchens that keep a designated "Purged by Flame" baking sheet, generally resting upright between the grill and the next piece of equipment over. It is fun watching the occasional confusion on new hires faces. I sometimes scare new dishwashers with them (but never seriously. I like dishwashers because they mean I rarely end up in the pit myself)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Resting Lich Face posted:

Hashut. His domain is burning hate and fire. Basically the god of kitchens.

Gonna ask chef if I can bring in a Hashut effigy.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

Drink and Fight fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 20, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Gonna ask chef if I can bring in a Hashut effigy.

:v: Hey boss can I make a shrine to a pagan god in the corner of the kitchen?
:discourse: No of course not!
:v: His domains are "burning hatred and fire" though. Perfect for a kitchen!
:discourse: ...on second thought sounds about right. Just put it somewhere and make it out of something the health inspectors won't have a shitfit over.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I haven't posted posted on the forums for a hot minute, but I love reading this thread and wanted to contribute.

I worked at a pretty well regarded bakery and a higher end restaurant before I returned to university a few years ago and quit to dedicate more time to my degree. I graduated last December and, in short, there are no jobs in my field in this area, so my only saving grace was to return to the restaurant business. I absolutely loved restaurant work, it beat me up, but the folks I met and the atmosphere always made it rewarding for me. I applied to a small, and fairly new, family restaurant.

I should have known better when they hired me on the spot. Guys. It's bad.

Since the end of July, we have lost 4 employees, which doesn't bode well when you only had 12 people employed total. They haven't been replaced. As of right now, I am the only regular cook and the owners fill in as cooks on the days that I have off. They do not have a prep person, so prep is done when a customer orders an item and you say "poo poo! we don't have any (literally anything) prepped!". If we can't prep it in a short amount of time, they find some...interesting workarounds and substitutions. It sure does make me miss the well oiled machine I used to work for. The food is alright, but its mostly re-microwaved chicken and stuff for old folks.

There are about a million other reasons that this place is a trashcan fire, and I'm not really complaining so much as I am amused to be a part of this disaster. Fortunately, I'm not really invested in the place so I don't get stressed out. I think the worst part really is that I'm usually alone in the kitchen and we aren't allowed to play music. Another plus is that working there has given me enough time to hunt for jobs in my field outside my state.

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 21, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Keep your bills paid and keep looking for work elsewhere in the meantime. It's not your problem to solve, as long as you keep getting hours. And frankly, if you're in an even moderately sized city you should never hurt for kitchen work. Good luck with the job hunt!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Also keep posting about the hot mess going on there, those are the best posts

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It’s last shift before my three day weekend starts and just down the block there’s a 50-line tap takeover starting an hour after my shift ends. My body is ready.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Science WHORE posted:

I think the worst part really is that I'm usually alone in the kitchen and we aren't allowed to play music.

loving what

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dunno the climate there, but I would just play music. What are they gonna do? Fire you*?

*Like I said, I don't know the climate. Don't take my advice unless you're already past the giving two fucks stage.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SHVPS4DETH posted:

loving what

I've worked in a few places that had this rule. Including one where we were not allowed to play music at 7am, when it was a skeleton crew for prep until 10am, and we didn't open until 11:30. It was stupid.

I do not have that rule in any of my kitchens.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
On the other hand, I'm a big advocate of "no headphones in the goddamn kitchen ever" because people don't seem to understand why it's a dumb idea

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

On the other hand, I'm a big advocate of "no headphones in the goddamn kitchen ever" because people don't seem to understand why it's a dumb idea

This. We run an open kitchen so we don't have music on the line, but I let the dish and prep people in the back play music. My only stipulation is that i can't hear it in the dining room.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Coasterphreak posted:

I was about to say "People have tried this!?" but then I realized how absurd that statement is. Of course they have.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This. We run an open kitchen so we don't have music on the line, but I let the dish and prep people in the back play music. My only stipulation is that i can't hear it in the dining room.

this is my rule. Music's fine and encouraged during periods where we're not actively serving (530-7am) (10-12) (3-530pm) then after the last table leaves

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
oh ok open kitchen i get. i couldn’t do that gig anyway bc i use curse words openly, and gosh h*ck do i ever

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was about to say "People have tried this!?" but then I realized how absurd that statement is. Of course they have.

It's always, always the teenagers that haven't been around long enough to know how badly it can end and live life with their headphones stuck in their ears.

I also tell them to get off my lawn.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just discovered at work today that nearly all of my bartenders are stealing money nightly using a loophole in the system. We have just started falling down the rabbit hole of fraudulent transactions, but it looks like out of 12 bartenders, only 3 are not involved. Gonna be a fun busy season going in with fresh bar staff!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Just discovered at work today that nearly all of my bartenders are stealing money nightly using a loophole in the system. We have just started falling down the rabbit hole of fraudulent transactions, but it looks like out of 12 bartenders, only 3 are not involved. Gonna be a fun busy season going in with fresh bar staff!

Oh gently caress. Care to explain the loophole?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Naelyan posted:

Oh gently caress. Care to explain the loophole?

Might count as explaining how to do crime, which I think is against forum rules.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Might count as explaining how to do crime, which I think is against forum rules.

Yeah...probably be good if he explained if it was something a certain system/setup caused so that anyone else using the system can be forewarned, but actually having him explain how they did it crosses a few lines.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

It's not really an open kitchen, it has a fairly wide passthrough without a door, but it's still behind a wall in a separate room. I also get regularly told to talk quietly so that the dining area can't hear the kitchen but, it's a loving kitchen. We have fan, ovens, flattops, and microwaves. So most of the time I just can't hear anybody. *shrug*

Hire me. I won't steal your poo poo and I can work in poo poo conditions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It has to do with them figuring out a way pop the cash drawer without a sale or a manager code, and then voiding items and pocketing cash. The system is Brink, which I promise none of you use (it's a retail POS that we adapted to restaurant use with hilarious results); we are currently shopping for a new one.

Last year a pair of servers managed to steal a manager code and used it to comp tickets and pocket cash to the tune of like $50k over 6 months before we stumbled on them doing it. They are both in prison now.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 22, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

It has to do with them figuring out a way pop the cash drawer without a sale or a manager code, and then voiding items and pocketing cash. The system is Brink, which I promise none of you use (it's a retail POS that we adapted to restaurant use with hilarious results); we are currently shopping for a new one.

Last year a pair of servers managed to steal a manager code and used it to comp tickets and pocket cash to the tune of like $50k over 6 months before we stumbled on them doing it. They are both in prison now.

All of this is incredible. Sorry you have to deal with the fallout... how do people not realize that stealing is a BIG THING and eventually it's going to get noticed and there will be consequences?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because some people think "if you're not stealing from your employer, you're stealing from your family" is an actual thing

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because some people think "if you're not stealing from your employer, you're stealing from your family" is an actual thing

Also "it's just $5 no one will care." They don't get caught...do it again later and it becomes easier and easier to do again. And then they've stolen a few hundred dollars when they are caught.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Tracking voids will uncover like 90% of FOH theft

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Tracking voids will uncover like 90% of FOH theft

Yup. Basically, when they are ringing something in, they can freely void anything before sending the order, for the purpose of correcting errors or fat fingers etc. So they will ring up the drinks, not send the order, then tell the guest the total. If they want to open a tab or pay with a card, they process the payment and everything normally. If the guest reaches for cash, they just void all the poo poo off and cancel the check, pop the drawer, make change, then put the cash in the tip bucket (the way our bar works, the 2-3 working at any given time pool tips and split them). Our system tracks every button press though, so we have started digging and hoo boy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

From experience, I highly recommend Focus. It was great from a user perspective, and the management stuff was really good once you got it dialed in. There are probably newer ones that are better, but it's at least worth a shot. I don't work for them or get paid by them in any way, just sharing my favorite POS.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

From experience, I highly recommend Focus. It was great from a user perspective, and the management stuff was really good once you got it dialed in. There are probably newer ones that are better, but it's at least worth a shot. I don't work for them or get paid by them in any way, just sharing my favorite POS.

We've got a couple on the hook right now and are in the negotiation stage. It would be a company wide switch so it's a Big Deal.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If you find yourself using clover, don't plug in both the phone line and the Ethernet line at the same time. Everything will be normal except that it can take upwards of 20 min to fix a ticket. Dishwasher saw the phone line unplugged and thought he was being helpful. The cord is nearby because it was still taped up from our old system. Took us 3 weeks to figure out wtf. Their tech team was baffled.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

God that situation reminds of the far more primitive method a server used of modifying the tip amount when the chance came up. Which honestly seems stupid as gently caress.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yup. Basically, when they are ringing something in, they can freely void anything before sending the order, for the purpose of correcting errors or fat fingers etc. So they will ring up the drinks, not send the order, then tell the guest the total. If they want to open a tab or pay with a card, they process the payment and everything normally. If the guest reaches for cash, they just void all the poo poo off and cancel the check, pop the drawer, make change, then put the cash in the tip bucket (the way our bar works, the 2-3 working at any given time pool tips and split them). Our system tracks every button press though, so we have started digging and hoo boy.

Oh man. Good luck with your new staff! You'd like to think that in a place that's already put people in jail for theft they'd have some sense, but petty thieves have none at all.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
How incredibly bad at your job can you loving be that as a manager or owner you loving miss stealing like that? Jesus gently caress. I can walk into a business and see that poo poo in five loving minutes WITHOUT seeing the books, how do you miss it with daily loving reports?

Idiots.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

How incredibly bad at your job can you loving be that as a manager or owner you loving miss stealing like that? Jesus gently caress. I can walk into a business and see that poo poo in five loving minutes WITHOUT seeing the books, how do you miss it with daily loving reports?

Idiots.

Oh man, don't even get me started on this poo poo. It is a nonstop battle with my GM to get him to realize how completely worthless our FOH management is. Like, sitting at counter with their backs to the restaurant browsing Facebook all day worthless. I could write an essay.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

I had a similar experience. Manager thought that I was spending too long looking over transactions every week, well if you say so god knows I've got plenty of other things to do around here besides stare at security footage to cover your cash and inventory.

Fast forward a year and inventory came up consistently short over several audits. Owner called me up and said start looking over transactions. Get through eight employees, all squeaky clean. Employee number nine throws up red flags from the very first day I start looking through her transactions. Check the cameras, see she's pocketing the money after every transaction she voids when they reach for cash.

Our transaction log goes back 6 months, sure enough I see her doing the same thing every day she's worked. In the year she'd been there I estimate she took about $4-5k in cash alone.

How did she figure out how to do it? She sat in a meeting with the rest of the employees where corporate Loss Prevention explained how to do it and how it was the easiest thing in the world to find.

Gentleman Owl fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 22, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gentleman Owl posted:

She sat in a meeting with the rest of the employees where corporate Loss Prevention explained how to do it and how it was the easiest thing in the world to find.

:killing:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

It's just like DARE all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've worked in several restaurants where I'm pretty sure management almost never checked the books. When I was at Rudy's in Emeryville you needed a manager's key card for every comp and void, but since we were open from 7 am to 1 am the manager wasn't always there, so they left their card. We were supposed to print a copy of every receipt and write an explanation, but aside from a general "hey everyone, we have to many comps" I never heard of anyone being personally questioned about their comps and voids.

Kitchen management was equally terrible, so I had way more legitimate comps than was reasonable too. God knows I wasn't a perfect server, but I definitely worked more shifts where I ended up comping something because of factors beyond my control than not.