Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I don’t know why they don’t add “remove app” to the long press menu. This extra click to get into wiggle mode is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

mediaphage posted:

I don’t know why they don’t add “remove app” to the long press menu. This extra click to get into wiggle mode is bullshit.

Probably comes down to something like 'people are careless and will hit it by accident if it is too easy'.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
And it's not like removing apps is a tedious frequent activity that requires streamlining.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you say so. Every app I install gets put in a folder, and most apps I delete after I download since I don’t like to leave stuff installed that I don’t use. I get that maybe I’m some weirdo but I think lots of people probably delete apps pretty often.

Anyway I’m allowed to not like a feature; I don’t really need to be told why it’s dumb to not like it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When you say extra click do you mean that you have to drag it just ever so slightly?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

When you say extra click do you mean that you have to drag it just ever so slightly?

Oh, I see, you can activate it by holding an icon and dragging it instead of just tapping and waiting. Well, that’s good enough for me but also hard to discover so thanks; I hate how Apple makes tools invisible, sometimes.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Mine just got delivered, going from an iPhone 8+ to 11 Pro

It's a lot denser

Spigen cheapy clear case is good

Shouldn't have done a backup from the 13.1 beta, now I've got to wait until the 24th so I can do a restore.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I currently have a 7 and I am happy with it. However, I am also an idiot and am tempted to get an 11. Should I go for it or wait out another generation or two?

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I currently have a 7 and I am happy with it. However, I am also an idiot and am tempted to get an 11. Should I go for it or wait out another generation or two?

IDK, this is only the second iPhone I've had and I didn't get the 8+ on release day.

They hype is a big thing and doesn't really seem justified, it's still a phone.

Cameras are much improved for indoor / low light if that's important to you.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

First step, buy a magic 8 ball

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
the new 11 Pro just got dropped off by the courier.

It's nice. Doing a restore from iCloud. Apparently iOS 13 is buggy as hell, so :ohdear:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Camera is my reason for upgrading from my 6s (other than my battery dying) so if the 11 pro camera really is deece I’m totally sold and stoked.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/BenGeskin/status/1171689733312974848

Looks like there might be better display, accessories and port for the next iphone for anyone who want to hold out the minor hardware updates in 11.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yeast posted:

the new 11 Pro just got dropped off by the courier.

It's nice. Doing a restore from iCloud. Apparently iOS 13 is buggy as hell, so :ohdear:

What’s wrong with iOS 13? I have an X but haven’t downloaded it yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Installed the new 13.1 PB last night and drat this is snappppy (iPhone X)

Finally! Seriously like a whole new phone

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

AdmiralViscen posted:

It's been completely fine for me on my XS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

Courtesy of the Verge:

e;f;b

I already had 7 updates waiting...

Can you turn off auto-update in 13?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

coke posted:

Looks like there might be better display, accessories and port for the next iphone for anyone who want to hold out the minor hardware updates in 11.

This appears to be a joke by some nobody tech-blogger.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

This appears to be a joke by some nobody tech-blogger.

I actually laughed that someone posted it thinking it was something with even the remotest of truth.

The new phones literally just came out and any speculation for next year is lol at best.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Shouldn't have done a backup from the 13.1 beta, now I've got to wait until the 24th so I can do a restore.

Why can’t you just set up as new then join the 13.1 beta then erase them set up from backup?

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Feenix posted:

Why can’t you just set up as new then join the 13.1 beta then erase them set up from backup?

Yes, that would have worked.

Having them send out the 13.1 beta which means you couldn't restore from a 13 backup was frustrating so I'm staying away from the beta program now. I fully admit that this is because I'm unfamiliar with how their beta scheme works, not having participated before.

Luckily I found an old 13.0 beta backup I'd saved so I'm just restoring from that now.

Edit: Main improvement. Screen protectors that come with a plastic application guide so everything lines up right are probably the single best thing to come from this upgrade for me so far.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I changed my reminders color and snap it deleted all my recurring reminders I’ve had set up forever. Interesting decision there...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And now two randomly reappeared.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel bad for whoever had 200gb of photos and videos because the new "curation" that photos.app does is not a quick process. I left my phone plugged in and off for like two hours and it was about 15% done on a mere 15gb of pictures.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How do ios13 and 12 get along, specifically with calendars, notes, and reminders (all three both shared and unshared). I’m pretty dependent on those right now and am wondering if it’s best to wait until month's end to update.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How do ios13 and 12 get along, specifically with calendars, notes, and reminders (all three both shared and unshared). I’m pretty dependent on those right now and am wondering if it’s best to wait until month's end to update.

Calendars and notes are fine.

Reminders are another story. iOS13 has a new reminders thing so you have to upgrade your reminders to the new format. From what I understand the new format is not compatible at all with iOS12 and MacOS 10.14 and below.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It will be fine as long as you do not “upgrade” your reminders. This is something you need to explicitly do and there are warning signs asking you to confirm in case you accidentally touched the button for it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AdmiralViscen posted:

There’s a bunch of stuff.

Like setting up new iOT stuff with HomeKit is borked, for example.

Mail.app keeps having issues.

Photos will randomly be upside down or 90degrees the wrong way around when you upload them.

There’s a reason the .1 release comes out in 4 days.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My roommate's SE totally borks Mail.app in iOS 13, but otherwise, a smooth experience from her trip report. Curiously, they either just added Live Photo to the SE with iOS 13, or she just never noticed it until now.

No issues worth mentioning on my iPhone X. I think the current behavior of tapping to zoom in and out in Safari is the only thing that's a very mild inconvenience and not making me shake my fist for updating on day zero, as pinching to zoom still works just fine.

Edit: oh, I lied -- I upgraded Reminders.app on the phone, and received the warning to update my MacBook Pro first (which was already running Mojave 10.14.6) and System Update only found Safari 13. Thus, my reminders are currently inaccessible on my MacBook Pro.

Edit 2: oh, the new Reminders app for macOS is in Catalina only. So, if you regularly rely on Reminders.app on your Mojave-or-previous macOS device, you'll want to wait until you're running Catalina. Pretty sure you can still use Reminders in iOS 13 without going through with app refresh.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 20, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

enojy posted:

Curiously, they either just added Live Photo to the SE with iOS 13, or she just never noticed it until now.

SE always had Live Photos although it's certainly possible that she's never had it turned on and not noticed, it's pretty un-intuitive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

SE always had Live Photos although it's certainly possible that she's never had it turned on and not noticed, it's pretty un-intuitive.

Almost certainly the case since you can accidentally tap it off and on in the camera app. Really not obvious.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

coke posted:

Imagining flat edged iPhones like the 4 charging Apple Pencils.

I guess my 6S+ can keep on trucking another year to see if this is real.

e:

MarcusSA posted:

I actually laughed that someone posted it thinking it was something with even the remotest of truth.

The new phones literally just came out and any speculation for next year is lol at best.

:negative:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 20, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

I changed my reminders color and snap it deleted all my recurring reminders I’ve had set up forever. Interesting decision there...
Did your reminders come back yet? I’ve not had reminders sync between my devices for a week now on 13.1 and now the app just crashes on certain lists on the one device that was working. I really should’ve screen capped all my reminders!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

New iOS makes my 7 Plus snappy!!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

mediaphage posted:

You’ll like this: you can swipe left on the list in the app update section of the AppStore. It’s really neat and great for those „forgot I had them“ apps.

Is there any trick to swipe typing and punctuation marks, akin to double tapping the space bar? Because I keep hitting the new emoji button when I try to hold and swipe. Ugh.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Is there a way to disable Find My from sending an email when you ask it to play a sound from AirPods? I can see using this feature a lot (2 year-old in da house) but could do without the 5 emails I get after pulling up the couch cushions. Wish there was a Control Centre button for beeping different devices.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zwille posted:

You’ll like this: you can swipe left on the list in the app update section of the AppStore. It’s really neat and great for those „forgot I had them“ apps.

Holy loving poo poo 🧠 = 🤯

quote:

Is there any trick to swipe typing and punctuation marks, akin to double tapping the space bar? Because I keep hitting the new emoji button when I try to hold and swipe. Ugh.

If you turn off other keyboards then the emoji button moves down to the very bottom row (where the globe icon is) so you won’t have the issue anymore but that’s a really dumb “fix.”

Tenterhooks posted:

Is there a way to disable Find My from sending an email when you ask it to play a sound from AirPods? I can see using this feature a lot (2 year-old in da house) but could do without the 5 emails I get after pulling up the couch cushions. Wish there was a Control Centre button for beeping different devices.

Can you just create a mail rule/filter in your email provider’s web app? You should be able to just auto archive all Find My emails they mention AirPods.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 20, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Yes!

Get the Apple Watch!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Ugh, yeah that would be a better position, but I need those other languages, yep. It’s like that punctuation button in safari when you’re using the address bar to search. Always gets in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

MarcusSA posted:

Yes!

Get the Apple Watch!

I've got an Apple Watch. Can you beep AirPods from it? I use it to beep my phone all the time but other devices would be useful too.

Boris Galerkin - good shout on the mail rule. Was hoping there was a switch I could toggle but that'll work.

EDIT: just discovered that this feature isn't as useful as I first thought anyway because it can't beep the AirPods when they're in the case.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 20, 2019