Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Loitering around the edges of the Sydney protest on my bike. Really cool to see so many people out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

Absolutely huge turnout in Melbourne.

Yeah it was pretty rad

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Before Times posted:

Absolutely huge turnout in Melbourne.

Not surprised at all to be honest. I'd like to see Sydney and Brisbane though.

Today instead of having a march I go a wonderfully stressful Friday situation and it chewed up half my loving day and ruined all my plans for being a good colleague and not leaving a bucket of bullshit work to do.

I feel v guilty.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Purk posted:

Radio said tens of thousands but also said some students were reportedly bribed to attend. Then near the end alleged it was 30 students who were told they'd pass one assignment for attending. But thatll make for good boomer bait.
don’t fall for it

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Brissie march was fun and well attended :)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just got two emails from the daily telegraph with this in it, I don’t usually get emails from them, they really are making GBS threads themselves

quote:

open quote
The Daily Telegraph has consistently condemned so-called climate strikes as wastes of valuable school time.

But Friday’s strike, the largest to this point, may actually have served a useful purpose.

As The Daily Telegraph reported, climate anxiety is ruining children’s peace of mind. Yesterday’s protest, however, could have allowed for a certain release of pressure.

The mood throughout the protest was practically gleeful. So let’s hope, for the sake of the traumatised, that certain fears have been calmed.

Additionally, we can hope schools that allowed their students to take part in the protest use this as a teachable moment.

To make up for lost classroom hours, perhaps those schools could set weekend assignments on the subjects of climate, coal and responsible governance. All of those themes were addressed in many protest signs, so the children will obviously have a handy head start on their research.

Students could be invited to answer some of the most complicated questions involving these topics. Questions such as:

Where is the proposed Adani mine? (Hint: not the Barrier Reef.)

How much have Australia’s power bills increased since we began subsidising renewable energy sources?

What are wind turbines made from?

Which country is the world’s largest emitter of global warming gases and also the source of your mobile phone?

What percentage of the planet’s carbon dioxide output is produced by Australia?

Have worldwide grain crop yields increased or declined in recent years?

What do plants eat?

There. That should be enough. Two thousand words, please, on your teachers’ desks by 9am Monday.

Or, rather, they have highlighted why our faith in those institutions is eroding.

Allegations that NSW Labor was involved in serious breaches of electoral law don’t exactly encourage trust.

Grave questions have since been raised over the activities of federal Liberal MP Gladys Liu, whose evasive interview with Andrew Bolt on Sky News revealed at the very least someone with a problematic recall of detail.

And then there is NSW Liberal Minister John Sidoti who, as The Daily Telegraph’s Jennifer Sexton revealed this week, also has numerous questions to answer.

Sidoti answered those questions 104 times before a parliamentary budget committee on Thursday with the same reply: “I have always complied with all of my obligations.”

“It didn’t seem to matter what the question was, that was his answer,” Sexton reported.

“Mr Sidoti even said it when challenged on his own blatant failure — in ­official documents in black and white — to disclose his family’s multimillion-dollar property holdings.”

Now labelled a “parliamentary secretary for planning by day and a property ­developer by night”, Sidoti has been referred to ICAC and additionally faces an investigation called by party leader and state premier Gladys Berejiklian.

Sidoti stresses that he has done nothing wrong. The Daily Telegraph’s continuing in-depth coverage will report on if this is so.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

80,000 in Sydney
120,000+ in Melbourne

Newcastle had around 6000, it was a nice chill vibe
updated estimated numbers are

100,000 sydney
150,000 melb
10,000 newcastle

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Climate anxiety is ruining children's peace of mind

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Students could be invited to answer some of the most complicated questions involving these topics. Questions such as:

Where is the proposed Adani mine? (Hint: not the Barrier Reef.)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
‘What do plants eat’

Lmao like this old gently caress wants to hear the actual answer to this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ugh

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'm also enamoured with the question "what do plants eat" as a prissy shutdown question because a high school student is basically the only type of person in the world who knows the technical answer apart from professional nerds

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah that one is really making me laugh bc I’m pretty sure the actual answer dumbed down to explain to a journalist would literally just be year 11 biology

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

‘What do plants eat’

Lmao like this old gently caress wants to hear the actual answer to this

Brawndo

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 20, 2019

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Despite her expression, our dog enjoyed the march too

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gridlocked posted:

Not surprised at all to be honest. I'd like to see Sydney and Brisbane though.

https://twitter.com/kymtje/status/1174880364138909696?s=19

https://twitter.com/yangwong/status/1174895327045812225?s=19

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Late middle aged man who learnt idpol from some assailed loser accosting a kid at the climate protest: oh you think plants eating is the n word? real cool, buddyboy

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 20, 2019

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

‘What do plants eat’

the rich *:thermidor:*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
plants will eat us all eventually...

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Not soon enough.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bowmore posted:

I just got two emails from the daily telegraph with this in it, I don’t usually get emails from them, they really are making GBS threads themselves

:laffo: how the gently caress did they even get your email? Did both have the same contents?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Anyone know anything about the strike in Adelaide? I was stuck in the Lyell-McEwin hospital till 5pm looking after my grandmother after she was taken in a 8 AM after a nasty case of gastro.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aesculus posted:

:laffo: how the gently caress did they even get your email? Did both have the same contents?
I’m signed up for Supercoach, the nrl fantasy football, but they don’t send me emails that are not football related

and yes they were both the same

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ssmagus posted:

Anyone know anything about the strike in Adelaide? I was stuck in the Lyell-McEwin hospital till 5pm looking after my grandmother after she was taken in a 8 AM after a nasty case of gastro.
i’m sorry for your loss :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/BRKeogh/status/1174905383288107010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

My roads!

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Alexa how does blocking roads help change the political climate

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The kid's are alright.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
State wars and fortress Victoria aside, why is turnouts for this stuff always better in melbourne?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

teacup posted:

State wars and fortress Victoria aside, why is turnouts for this stuff always better in melbourne?

Victoria leans way more to the left than other states. It's cultural.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

bowmore posted:

i’m sorry for your loss :(

She aint dead, That's when I finished all the bloody paperwork needed for a hospital stay. I'll get called if it gets better/worse.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

teacup posted:

Because the northern states are loving cesspits and need a good nuking

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ssmagus posted:

She aint dead, That's when I finished all the bloody paperwork needed for a hospital stay. I'll get called if it gets better/worse.
oh wow I loving misread that, sorry!! hope she get’s well soon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
She had climate gastro

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Yeet the Rich

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Because the northern states are loving cesspits and need a good nuking

yeah thanks for the opinion lang hancock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I drove up to our nation’s capital from Melbourne today.

Dropped into Gundagai for a “world famous” pie in time to see a bunch of school kids marching up the main drag protesting. They were having a ball.

Some hilarious expressions on the faces of some old fucks having complete brain snaps.