Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ulmont posted:

I have a dehumidifier running 24x7 (barring times when it fills up and waits to be emptied) and it can barely keep the interior of the house in the 50-55% range. Absent the dehumidifier it would be more like 65-70% every day.
Do you also have an AC? Because according to Dark Sky it's been mostly between 60-70% where I am, with about four hours of 70-80% (near dawn) and around one hour of around 50% (midday). A hydrometer set on my kitchen counter says that the AC is keeping the RH just over 50%. Somewhat counterintuitively the fact that it's an older AC unit helps---modern, high-efficiency ACs run less and so automagically de-humidify less.

In any case you should be fine air drying. References on industrial seed drying generally cite 65% as the RH that you want to stay below to minimise the risk of mold. Here's a citation from a random web source, in this case the University of Kentucky's College of Agriculture, which is quoting ASAE data. Presumably the data aren't directly translatable into pepper drying (because starting out peppers are wetter than the seeds themselves, and are probably host to different kinds of molds), but I don't know of any similarly well-researched data specifically for pepper drying.

One of the reasons I quote (a source quoting) the ASAE data on drying is that it illustrates that successful drying doesn't require super-low RH in order to be successful, as most people assume. It's more about controlling mold development. I don't know what the ideal equilibrium moisture content of pepper seeds for next-season planting is, but anecdotally nearly every seed packet I've ever used is non-airtight paper, so I'm guessing it's not too far from what you achieve at ambient conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SubG posted:

Do you also have an AC?

Yes. For context, Dark Sky says it's currently 85% humidity at 11:19 at night.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ulmont posted:

I feel ya. I used to live in Brazoria County in Texas, which had humidity like:

Like I said, if your house has a RH in the 50s, you should be perfectly fine air drying peppers.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ulmont posted:

Translation: I am swamp thing. Even in south Florida it wasn’t that severe inside the a/c house.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://meh.com has a cool garden for your kitchen for basically half of what you'd pay for at Amazon today. You can also grow weed in it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Are all cheap pasta rollers functionally equivalent? I make raviolis a couple times in the winter, that's it. I have a hard time imagining that I'll make fresh pasta so much more frequently if I have a roller.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I went to make buns this weekend, and realized that I never got a dough hook when I got my mom's old Kitchenaide stand mixer. She probably wore it out!

Anyway, there are so many different sizes now, how do I know which one is the right size?
Mine is the small tilt-head, from about 1980.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Happiness Commando posted:

Are all cheap pasta rollers functionally equivalent? I make raviolis a couple times in the winter, that's it. I have a hard time imagining that I'll make fresh pasta so much more frequently if I have a roller.
tbh a roller does make it way more convenient than hand-rolling. I set up a price alert for the Atlas Mercato, which is like ~the~ pasta roller, and I have no regrets. You could also look for one at thrift stores.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I went to make buns this weekend, and realized that I never got a dough hook when I got my mom's old Kitchenaide stand mixer. She probably wore it out!

Anyway, there are so many different sizes now, how do I know which one is the right size?
Mine is the small tilt-head, from about 1980.

you should grab the exact model number off the unit and google it to be sure you get what you need

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tilty heads can only get a C hook, spiral dough hooks are only for the lifty bowls.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Tilty heads can only get a C hook, spiral dough hooks are only for the lifty bowls.

OK, thanks!

I double checked the exact model, but your advice was correct.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Is there a relatively affordable stovetop pressure cooker people suggest? I don't want to bother with a whole Instant Pot and add yet another electric device taking up countertop space that I really don't have, but checking online it looks like the price points largely go [cheap and aluminum] -> [instant pot/electric] -> [good brand]

If the Instant Pot is really worth it, like, there's genuinely no reason to bother with a stovetop pressure cooker once you have one, I can always move poo poo around to find space for it (or run it in a different room, I guess).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Whalley posted:

Is there a relatively affordable stovetop pressure cooker people suggest? I don't want to bother with a whole Instant Pot and add yet another electric device taking up countertop space that I really don't have, but checking online it looks like the price points largely go [cheap and aluminum] -> [instant pot/electric] -> [good brand]

If the Instant Pot is really worth it, like, there's genuinely no reason to bother with a stovetop pressure cooker once you have one, I can always move poo poo around to find space for it (or run it in a different room, I guess).

Kuhn Rikon is the gold standard. Other than that, they're mainly equivalent. Jiggle top ones are a little louder than newer types. I guess what I'm saying is buy this. Presto 01365 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, Deluxe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYF4F2/

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Kuhn Rikon is the gold standard. Other than that, they're mainly equivalent. Jiggle top ones are a little louder than newer types. I guess what I'm saying is buy this. Presto 01365 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker, Deluxe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYF4F2/

I have that exact presto and I like it

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I have a Fagor Duo and it’s also great. Preston and Fagor are both fine and stovetop is great; you need no features, buy the cheaper one of either of those brands that’s the size you need and you’re set.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Whalley posted:

If the Instant Pot is really worth it, like, there's genuinely no reason to bother with a stovetop pressure cooker once you have one
This is correct except for canning afaik. I prefer the instant pot because you can't really gently caress it up and because you can leave the house when it's cooking. Also bear in mind that with the instant pot's popularity, most current pressure cooker recipes are written for it, and they don't always translate smoothly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Thanks, y'all. I'm going to have a chat with my wife this afternoon and see what she's more comfortable with, but I'm definitely leaning towards a stovetop (and probably that Presto, although I've seen there's cookers that release steam directly upwards which might be better for my ventilation) mostly so that I can actually saute things at a good temperature before pressurizing, which I don't really trust an all electric device to do as effectively.

Anne Whateley posted:

you can leave the house when it's cooking
seems like a weird thing to pick up a pressure cooker for; like, if I'm gunna cook and leave the house I'm just gunna use a dutch oven or a slow cooker or an immersion circulator, not the thing I'm getting largely to make slow preparation faster.

Anne Whateley posted:

Also bear in mind that with the instant pot's popularity, most current pressure cooker recipes are written for it, and they don't always translate smoothly.
But this is a big thing I'm gunna have to consider, as I'd really like to just be able to dive into a recipe without needing to think too much. Dammit, Instant Pot, why'd you have to get so popular and be so useful to so many people! I don't need the extra functions I'd get from electric! I've been a semi-luddite for too long to change now! :bahgawd:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just my two cents, but I bought the 6-qt Presto stainless steel pressure cooker and returned it for the 8-qt. Only about $10 more and 33% more capacity is well worth it.

It owns, btw.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I feel like my wife would blow up a pressure cooker and haven't ever seen the point in getting one outside of time saving. I work from home full time and generally can afford to wait however many hours for something to reduce/cook. Is there anything special about a pressure cooker you just can't do without one?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

canning/cooking in mason jars while achieving some caramelization.

really anything that cooks well at ~250 degrees.

All modern ones have a safety valve at like 17.5psi, they won't blow up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Just my two cents, but I bought the 6-qt Presto stainless steel pressure cooker and returned it for the 8-qt. Only about $10 more and 33% more capacity is well worth it.

It owns, btw.

Yeah, go bigger if you want to can.

I don't pressure can, so I just use my tamale steamer pot or my lobstah pot.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sounds like you're missing that "can do" attitude!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If you want to pressure can or make obnoxious amounts of stock get one of these badboys:

http://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-21-Quart-Pressure-Canner.htm

I inherited it from my Grandpa after he was physically unable to can tomato sauce anymore about 4 years ago. Unfortunately the recipe is lost forever as he was about as good at documentation as I am :(.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think my fagor has three discreet failsafes. It would take a lot of work to make that thing blow up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have a 7.5 gallon kettle that I do stock/big sauce or soup batches in already, that I have enough trouble storing, that I just never bothered. Should I ever get a better kitchen or a garage, god help me.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Thanks, y'all. I'm going to have a chat with my wife this afternoon and see what she's more comfortable with, but I'm definitely leaning towards a stovetop (and probably that Presto, although I've seen there's cookers that release steam directly upwards which might be better for my ventilation) mostly so that I can actually saute things at a good temperature before pressurizing, which I don't really trust an all electric device to do as effectively.

The insta-pot sautee works pretty well, and you can just toss the inner pot on the stove if you need more heat.

Not saying you should go electric vs stove-top, but just thoughts from a new insta-pot owner (I love it).

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Whalley posted:

seems like a weird thing to pick up a pressure cooker for; like, if I'm gunna cook and leave the house I'm just gunna use a dutch oven or a slow cooker or an immersion circulator, not the thing I'm getting largely to make slow preparation faster.

I'll say I really enjoy the instant pot for the ability to toss ingredients in, push a button, and have food within an hour or 30 minutes without while allowing me to go do something else. And then if whatever else I'm doing takes a long time the food I've made stays warm. It is also easy for me to just keep basic ingredients for a kidchi or chili around for when I'm running low on other food and don't feel like putting in much effort.

I do similar things with the immersion circulator but on a different timescale and with more involvement.

Get whatever tool you think will be useful for you though. I don't have the desire to can and have learned to enjoy the "toss things into a pot, push a button, and go do something else but still have food reasonably fast" cooking the instant pot enables.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If you're really worried that recipes are not going to be exactly translated for an instant pot, just generally go by 2/3 of the recommended liquid. It's not an exact science either, it's pretty forgiving. Except rice. Then just go with your instant pot recipes that are on the company's website.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Whalley posted:

For pork shoulders, it cuts like 8 hours down to like 90 minutes, which is a great time savings, but 90 minutes is still long enough you might occasionally want to step out

also, the sautéing is totally good. You can burn the poo poo out of something if you aren't careful. And the inner pot is just a metal pot, so you can use it on the stove if you want.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like my Instantpot. As said above, you can use the liner on the stove like a regular pot and the convenience of push a button and walk away until it dings is awesome. Also my wife has been making yogurt, cottage cheese, and ricotta cheese left and right and it's so much better than store bought. Especially the cottage cheese, so delicious and not sour at all.

As for IP recipes, no matter what kind you get, beware that a lot of the IP recipes on mommy blogs are slow cooker recipes that often have way too much liquid and you'll end up with soup. If the recipe has vegetables, the water inside them counts toward the 1 cup minimum recommendation.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

If the recipe has vegetables, the water inside them counts toward the 1 cup minimum recommendation.

this is demonstrated in one of my favorite blank slate techniques: add whatever aromatics and flavors you want and it'll turn out great. as written it's delicious if not a bit bland. No added water.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/latin-cuisine-five-ingredient-one-pot-30-minute-columbian-chicken-stew.html

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I, too, have a fagor duo 8qt and like it a lot

It also doubles as a regular rear end pot when I need it to, which is nice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I was a stovetop purist until I got my instant pot. Now I only use the instant pot. It’s just too convenient

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

yeah but you have to do a fantastic chicken stock in 5 hours instead of 3.5

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

this is demonstrated in one of my favorite blank slate techniques: add whatever aromatics and flavors you want and it'll turn out great. as written it's delicious if not a bit bland. No added water.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/latin-cuisine-five-ingredient-one-pot-30-minute-columbian-chicken-stew.html

I made that after it was posted in the pressure cooker thread, worked like a charm and delicious, although a bit plain. Since then I've switched to doing it with chicken thighs and I brown them a little first. I remove the skin, crisp it, and serve it on the side.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Good sale on the 6 qt Kitchenaid Professional stand mixer for $260 :eyepop:
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-KP26M9XCCU-6-Quart-Bowl-Lift-Professional/dp/B01MXRL53Y/?th=1

This is a bowl lift model, 575 watt motor with metal gearing (some of the cheaper models use plastic gears in the drive train). I have it, and it is the model to use for making bread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

canyoneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-KP26M9XCCU-6-Quart-Bowl-Lift-Professional/dp/B01MXRL53Y/?th=1

This is a bowl lift model, 575 watt motor with metal gearing (some of the cheaper models use plastic gears in the drive train). I have it, and it is the model to use for making bread.

Wow I came VERY close to seeing your post too late to take advantage of that sale. Thanks for the heads up!

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the on-sale model in your post and this identical-looking model here?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

Wow I came VERY close to seeing your post too late to take advantage of that sale. Thanks for the heads up!

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the on-sale model in your post and this identical-looking model here?

About $240

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Almost picked this up, Stanley is like 10 years old and every time I do a heavier dough you can hear him struggling with it. Anyone who did pick this up as their first stand mixer, remember to get beater blades -- a paddle mixer with little scrapers on the end of the blades so you don't have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah and make sure to get the Beater Blade branded one because the Kitchenaid one supposedly does a bad job