Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Going to just quote myself here.

TraderStav posted:

Oh no, that's the next episode I have to watch.

Should I play on my Switch during it?

Vavrek posted:

This is one of my favorite episodes just for how wildly divergent the A and B plots are in tone, character significance, and how much I like them. I once had this exchange with a friend, when I was rewatching the series:

"Do you remember the episode when Ivanova's hometown rabbi shows up because he's concerned she's not grieving for her father properly?"
"Yeah, I thought it was a really well-done and touching story, and a really good depiction of Jewish culture."
"Do you remember the episode when Sugar Ray Robinson shows up, and he's Garibaldi's old friend, and the plot is about him getting to be the first human allowed into Alien Kickboxing?"
"Yeah. That was kind of dumb."
"That was the same episode."
"What." :aaaaa:

Haven't hit it yet in my current rewatch, because I'm going slow and following this non-broadcast order arrangement that puts it later in Season 1. I expect the A plot will have grown on me, but probably only a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vavrek posted:

Going to just quote myself here.

Haven't hit it yet in my current rewatch, because I'm going slow and following this non-broadcast order arrangement that puts it later in Season 1. I expect the A plot will have grown on me, but probably only a little bit.

I'm at this point exactly where I would interrupt the order that is on Amazon Prime for this curated order. What say you thread, should I plow along on the Amazon Prime order (which is easy to follow) or pull up this list and follow it instead? Is it more worthwhile to do so?

It'll either be TKO or Grail next.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm betting the Prime order is just the original broadcast order, or whatever's on the DVDs. It's fine, and is how I've always watched the show before. Stick with it. Rearranging episodes only actually gets critical with Crusade, the follow-up series. I'm following this list mostly out of curiosity, and because the justifications for moving episodes make sense. (It's a lot of little remarks from JMS going "Episode X was going to be before episode Y, but it has so many CGI shots that it just straight-up took so long to render we had to rearrange things and release it after Episode Z.", or pacing issues based around when the show was going on hiatus.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

Oh no, that's the next episode I have to watch.

Should I play on my Switch during it?

Don’t let down the ghost of Andreas Katsulas. watch them all

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

He hails from the same country as I do and adore his acting, so I will do just this.

Seriously though, I am really impressed by the acting of J'kar and Londo. Whenever they're on screen I am completely engaged and impressed with their craft.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TraderStav posted:

He hails from the same country as I do and adore his acting, so I will do just this.

Seriously though, I am really impressed by the acting of J'kar and Londo. Whenever they're on screen I am completely engaged and impressed with their craft.

Put it this way. The G'kar/Londo elevator scene is pretty widely regarded as THE scene that most embodies why everyone in this thread loves B5.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Doctor Zero posted:

Looks at thread title... it's what, half the cast now?

Regardless I saw Andreas speak at a con many years ago. Great storyteller and very nice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Put it this way. The G'kar/Londo elevator scene is pretty widely regarded as THE scene that most embodies why everyone in this thread loves B5.

Permission to come aboard Commander.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You can start B5 anywhere good and your own curiosity will move you to watch earlier episodes to get a fuller picture. I started watching in S2E19 Divided Loyalties, and while it was sometimes hard to know who the people involved were, there was enough redundancy that you could follow it through and get hooked.

Yeah, she went back and watched most of s1.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, she went back and watched most of s1.

:holy:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Vavrek posted:

I'm betting the Prime order is just the original broadcast order, or whatever's on the DVDs. It's fine, and is how I've always watched the show before. Stick with it. Rearranging episodes only actually gets critical with Crusade, the follow-up series. I'm following this list mostly out of curiosity, and because the justifications for moving episodes make sense. (It's a lot of little remarks from JMS going "Episode X was going to be before episode Y, but it has so many CGI shots that it just straight-up took so long to render we had to rearrange things and release it after Episode Z.", or pacing issues based around when the show was going on hiatus.)

Nah, I think the corrected order is helpful if not vital; there’s at least one significant (if hard to notice) continuity error in the original broadcast order, and some character developments are more satisfying closer to the end of the season.

Just don’t actually watch the movies in between 5.21 and 5.22, even if that’s where they fit chronologically. I would also put “In the Beginning” between seasons 4 and 5 rather than before the pilot, even though it’s much better.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

nashona posted:

Looks at thread title... it's what, half the cast now?

Regardless I saw Andreas speak at a con many years ago. Great storyteller and very nice.

That's a bit exaggerated. It's about a third of the regular cast, plus a few notable guest stars (eg Tim Choate/Zathras). Still, it's a pretty high death count for a show that's only just over 20 years old.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

epenthesis posted:

Nah, I think the corrected order is helpful if not vital; there’s at least one significant (if hard to notice) continuity error in the original broadcast order, and some character developments are more satisfying closer to the end of the season.

Just don’t actually watch the movies in between 5.21 and 5.22, even if that’s where they fit chronologically. I would also put “In the Beginning” between seasons 4 and 5 rather than before the pilot, even though it’s much better.

Yeah, I'm putting the movies all in their release date order. What's the continuity error?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just started TKO, wow. Walker Smith is a dolt.

"Who do you think you are??"

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, I'm putting the movies all in their release date order. What's the continuity error?

Delenn was seen using an item that she wouldn’t receive until later in the season. It was a triluminary, received in “Babylon Squared” and used in “Legacies.” Very hard to spot if you’re not looking for it, but worth watching it the right way.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Huh. I think I noticed that subconsciously and was bugged by it, but never really tried to figure out what was going on. Thanks. I've got TKO next, actually, so I'll be seeing the other of those episodes soon. I'll keep it in mind.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

epenthesis posted:

I don't think the spoilers in In the Beginning are so bad that it doesn't make a good intro to the series.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's a bit exaggerated. It's about a third of the regular cast, plus a few notable guest stars (eg Tim Choate/Zathras). Still, it's a pretty high death count for a show that's only just over 20 years old.

Compare to the DS9 cast, who are all still alive. Of the main human cast, three are dead, along with G'kar.

Including secondary characters, DS9 might be down one if you count Majel Barrett. B5 is missing Choate, Furst, Conaway, and Sachs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

B5 has lost more main cast members than original Star Trek, let alone the modern ones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narsham posted:

Compare to the DS9 cast, who are all still alive. Of the main human cast, three are dead, along with G'kar.

Including secondary characters, DS9 might be down one if you count Majel Barrett. B5 is missing Choate, Furst, Conaway, and Sachs.

Furst and Conaway were both principal cast for at least part of the run.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

B5 has lost more main cast members than original Star Trek, let alone the modern ones.

Christ, you're right :psyduck:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure as a fraction of the cast, it's lower. Babylon 5 had a much larger cast.

It's still a cast that was thirty years younger, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wish Andreas Katsultas drank from that cursed goblet that Shatner has.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Grand Fromage posted:

I wish Andreas Katsultas drank from that cursed goblet that Shatner has.

Would you really want him doing Travel website and CPAP supply commercials?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

In full make-up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Zero posted:

Would you really want him doing Travel website and CPAP supply commercials?

Would be worth it for him to be still alive. :smith:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm doing it. I started a series re/watch. (Originally got to like a third of the way into S4 before stopping.)

Mini-review time~~

Midnight on the Firing Line: A frantic pace carries the episode forward, though the need to cut between so many disparate parts is distracting at times. There's a bit of clunky expositional dialogue propping it up as well, though most of it is out of the way pretty quickly. G'Kar is 100% painted as the villain of the episode but if you pay attention to the dialogue it's obvious that Londo is no saint (plus the whole "assembling a lethal weapon from bits and bobs in his room" thing). Sinclair's staredown with G'Kar is pretty incredible. The raider threat tying back into the A plot feels a bit too easy for how much it instantly turns the situation around on G'Kar. The scene at the bar between Ivanova and Talia has a great swerve to it where in lesser shows it would be a one-off bit of animosity, now that Ivanova explained her baggage about telepaths they're cool, right? Haha, nope, of loving course not! Garibaldi's love of Daffy Duck is amusing, but I'm more charmed by Delenn's struggle to understand popcorn. :3:

Soul Hunter: 40% good and interesting/60% kinda dumb. Has a monster of the week/Star Trek-y vibe to it for sure. The slums of the station are glossed over entirely, leading to questions about how exactly B5 works. W. Morgan Sheppard really carries most of the episode as the titular character. First sighting of crime mantis. :3: Things break down in the last act when the soul hunter is slowly killing Delenn with a comical machine leading to Sinclair's "uhh...oh poo poo I guess I should do...this??" moment where he whips that sucker around to soul schuck the soul hunter. The second soul hunter showing up is kinda odd since he doesn't actually do much of anything. Part of me wonders if he was actually telling the truth with his whole "oh jeez, no, that other soul hunter is a crazy weirdo, we're definitely not affiliated with him in any way" story. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for it to be a con, either in cahoots with the first one or competing for valuable souls. And then of course he isn't too shy about openly asking about what happened to the missing soul collection before being told to GTFO. The coda with Delenn releasing each soul is a little weird. Also I would've thought there'd be a follow-up on what happened to the soul hunter's soul orb but nah.

I knew people had warned that the Amazon versions were rough but I laughed that off since I never had an issue with the show or even the effects. But boy the quality of the effects shots in these versions sure is something. :whitewater:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Would be worth it for him to be still alive. :smith:

Actually, yeah. :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually, yeah. :smith:

Katsulas would be in his mid seventies if he was still with us. One of the reasons we have lost so many more of the B5 cast in less time is that they were older to start with.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Eyes, brought to you by the 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11.

Product placement getting really weird in this show.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Jedit posted:

One of the reasons we have lost so many more of the B5 cast in less time is that they were older to start with.

That quite a few had had a rough go of things with addiction and their careers in the skids according to showbiz standards, that's not helped things either.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Nope, but it really helped B5's bottom line as those actors were relatively cheap.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I think I've braved through the worst of the series and got to enjoy A Voice in the Wilderness last night. Only a few more episodes to suffer with Sinclair. Really looking forward to the hockey-stick increase in quality I've been promised.

I adore Ivanova.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TraderStav posted:

Only a few more episodes to suffer with Sinclair.

How dare you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

How dare you.

I suppose I don't know what's to come with who replaces him, but I'm not going to miss his style of delivery.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I suppose I don't know what's to come with who replaces him, but I'm not going to miss his style of delivery.

You'll likely enjoy his replacement, after an adjustment period. But once you're finished you should take a safari through this thread and read about Michael O'Hare's story. It may not change your subjective opinion, but it'll at least help you understand his performance and give it better depth.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

You'll likely enjoy his replacement, after an adjustment period. But once you're finished you should take a safari through this thread and read about Michael O'Hare's story. It may not change your subjective opinion, but it'll at least help you understand his performance and give it better depth.

I cheated and did read about him. Very understandable and absolutely empathize with the actor.

The character though suffered from a lot of JMS's writing and directing decisions.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Timby posted:

How dare you.

He’s right though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Be kind, for this series I've mostly only had the sour and just now getting into the sweet. It doesn't hold a place of such reverence in my heart, yet. The way that things are tracking though, I can see that it will. Be patient and I will likely be one of you soon enough.

For now, this is the newbie's opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The thing about S1 is what they were trying to do was really good, but they don't succeed at it so well. When you rewatch it you can pick out the aim much more easily, so it comes off better.