Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This is set is really good for my playstyle. I could be pretty happy playing with cards only from this set for a while, to be honest (but I won't be doing that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Oceanbound posted:

We’ll find out after Nissa tells us who shakes the world.

*deep in the Tenth District precinct, Nissa grabs the world by its collar*

"TELL ME MOTHER FUCKER, WHO SMILES AT DEATH? WHAT WAS TAKEN? ANSWER ME OR SO HELP ME I WILL --"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AnEdgelord posted:

Alright the arena decklists podcast has convinced me, Cauldron of Eternity is good as hell

I'm gonna make this my anti-thread-consensus called shot. When the Cauldron appears in a top 3 standard deck list I'm gonna come back and quote this and feel so smart :smug:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Froghammer posted:

Lovestruck Beast will probably see play, as will Beanstalk Giant

They might. Even if they do, Green is probably the worst adventure color in constructed.

MikeCrotch posted:

Green will be fine

Sure, I just think it’s weird that Green is the worst in constructed at a Green limited mechanic, and that Edgewall Inkeeper feels pushed for constructed but without support.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm gonna make this my anti-thread-consensus called shot. When the Cauldron appears in a top 3 standard deck list I'm gonna come back and quote this and feel so smart :smug:

Same, especially with Emry in the same standard

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AnEdgelord posted:

Same, especially with Emry in the same standard

Blue/Black ReEmrynator

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

god drat the card names this set

Weird that they just reprinted Thought Collapse with a different name when it only came out in January

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

sit on my Facebook posted:

Finally, something I won't be quoted in!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I want to discard Bartered Cow and Cauldron Familiar and play some sort of bastardized standard dredge

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TIL that Sir is gendered

I guess I never thought about it before

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Andrast posted:

TIL that Sir is gendered

I guess I never thought about it before

It comes from the word sire. What do you think sire means?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

I'm not a native English speaker so that definitely didn't cross my mind before

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

Sire this is a Wendy’s drive-thru

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

The "Syr" thing is just a Game of Thrones. I think the non-gendered thing is good, but it probably happened as a result of wanting to capture Game of Thrones hype, which was still very popular and loved when the set was being developed. You can even see it in the names of the legendary Knights, which also follow the Game of Thones convention of "real name, but ~fantasy~". There's even a character named Ayara which is about as close but legally distinct you can get to Arya.

...huh, this makes a lot of sense and probably isn’t something they’d mention outright while still marketing the set. “We wanted to draw on something which people soured on before our set released” would indeed be a dicey position to be in.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sire this is a Wendy’s drive-thru

Burger King drive-thru, surely.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Remember that the set started purely as aurthurian myth with no fairy tales. Its very likely that there were even more game of thrones influences before the fairy tales took over.

Also its called Throne of Eldraine

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I have no idea what this set is going to play like in Limited beyond the occasional draft where someone gets every single good Knight and wrecks poo poo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Remember that the set started purely as aurthurian myth with no fairy tales. Its very likely that there were even more game of thrones influences before the fairy tales took over.

drat, a Game of Thrones MTG set would have been atrocious.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mat Cauthon posted:

good Knight

Now I'm disappointed they didn't print a card called Good Knight for this set

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mat Cauthon posted:

I have no idea what this set is going to play like in Limited beyond the occasional draft where someone gets every single good Knight and wrecks poo poo.
I'm expecting a player to have 0 cards in hand and 4+ cards they can cast from exile each turn, and somebody going a little too hard on the self-mill while styling on their opponent.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

defending my choice to put a one-of castle vantress in dimir tempo like

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Hellsau posted:

drat, a Game of Thrones MTG set would have been atrocious.

I cast Confirm Suspicions on your relationship with your sister

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No faerie tribal stuff? It's Gremlins all over again for me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Justin_Brett posted:

No faerie tribal stuff? It's Gremlins all over again for me.

their mechanical identity is just being super good at everything. they’re largely evasive creatures, often with flash, that draw cards, counter spells, and bounce or steal creatures. they’re just Blue, The Creature Type

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

gently caress you if you don't think i'm singing the entirety of Let It Go every time I play this card

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

This really explains why one mechanic is food

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else bothered that the flavour text for Bartered Cow says uses mooing as a verb when moo is the sound but lowing is the action? No? Ok then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Is anyone else bothered that the flavour text for Bartered Cow says uses mooing as a verb when moo is the sound but lowing is the action? No? Ok then.

don't think anyone's bothered about using a verb as a verb

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Huh, so that one art Seb did when they were teasing the set didn't get used on a card. Interesting. I wonder if it's going to be used later in some other set.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Do you mean the one here? He said that was just a promo piece.

He's done a ton of cards in sets this year (18, if I'm counting right), so he might have just been taking a break.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Andrast posted:

I'm not a native English speaker so that definitely didn't cross my mind before

Well, when I assume...

It's just the old word for sir, but it also means father. Usually the context in contemporary English is horse and cattle breeding, but it just means father.

I think women who have a higher rank in the US military are addressed as, "Sir," by lower ranking members.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tulul posted:

Do you mean the one here? He said that was just a promo piece.

He's done a ton of cards in sets this year (18, if I'm counting right), so he might have just been taking a break.

Ah I see. I never got the memo on it being a promo piece. A shame that he didn't do much in this set because it's so much his style, but totally understandable. Dude's been cranking out art like crazy this year and all of it is great. He deserves a break.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Related artist taking a break news: you might not know Carmen Sinek, as she's only illustrated four cards before ELD, but she's not going to be doing much more art for a while. A brain tumor knocked the art out of her, and she forgot ten years of How to Draw. Pretty scary stuff.

https://twitter.com/CarmenSinek/status/1174852941628358656

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1175092467932131328?s=21

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

don't think anyone's bothered about using a verb as a verb

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moo

While possibly technically allowable, it's flavourfully wrong, which is against the whole point of flavour text. :colbert:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Silhouette posted:

gently caress you if you don't think i'm singing the entirety of Let It Go every time I play this card

Sing Do You Wanna Build A Snowman when you cast the adventure part

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

No spectator mode? Come on.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

No spectator mode? Come on.

quote:

We're always working internally on lots of additional features we want in the game (which includes many of the features you want to!). Pod Drafts, Spectating, Data API, four-player formats, and lots of other, crazier things come up all the time. We love seeing the community get excited about these features too, and the discussion really helps us understand what players are looking for with each feature.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

Well, when I assume...

It's just the old word for sir, but it also means father. Usually the context in contemporary English is horse and cattle breeding, but it just means father.

I think women who have a higher rank in the US military are addressed as, "Sir," by lower ranking members.

When I read "sire" my mind went to vampire stuff which is kind of funny

Shows how I learned English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lol. I have to believe pod drafts are their highest requested feature, maybe on par with additional platforms. The fact they won't commit to it speaks volumes.