Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

shiksa posted:

lol what the gently caress is this, does this guy own this rinky dink company? thats the only thing that possibly makes sense.

That is exactly what is happening here.

Related: Is there a worse professional wrestler than Beau James? Dude makes Khali look like Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Does anyone have the beboo crawshanks story on standby? Can't find it on Google for some reason

Roughly:
Jericho and Shelton had a match at Taboo Tuesday 2004. As the vote was legit, they didn't have time to plan anything out beforehand. During the match Jericho was told by the ref that the finish was him taking Shleton's finisher. He asked either the ref or Shleton what the finisher was (T-Bone suplex), but all he could make out was "beeboo crawshanks". Having no idea what that entailed, Jericho did a really obvious flying nothing off the top rope in the hopes that Shelton could do whatever move he had in mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's that spot:

More guys should just use double axehandles. You can do a flying nothing with them.

Also how has no indy guy used the Flying Nothing as an actual finish?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Is there a worse professional wrestler than Beau James? Dude makes Khali look like Vader.
Beau's really a perfect storm of awful. There are undoubtedly a few people who look worse in the ring, but he combines extremely bad work with bad promos, putting himself over in his own promotion, being a mark for himself, and the fact that everything about his character is a ripoff of Lawler.

He's almost as bad as JJ.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only way in which JJ is worse than Beau James is scale.
And I say this as somebody who really, really is not a fan of Jarrett.

Also: I'm not sure it's actually possible to look worse in the ring than Beau James. I'm a 300 lb 40 year old man with a damaged motor due to multiple bouts of pneumonia as a child, Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis and absolutely no sort of wrestling experience whatsoever and I can say I could probably put on a better match than Beau James.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 20, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jarrett is a much much better wrestler, and I agree JJ ain't all that good, he's thoroughly average at best

But James is the worst wrestler I've ever seen who didn't have being green or being immobile due to size like Khali as an excuse

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Beau James is, objectively, a terrible wrestler. But somebody asked "Hey, does anybody have that video of that wrestling move Beau James did?" and someone else answered with a quickness.

I've never seen anyone display any curiosity about JJ's actual wrestling. Mongo was a more entertaining worker.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JJ had really good punches tbf. Shane is also a horrible wrestler

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

JJ had really good punches tbf. Shane is also a horrible wrestler

He also sells reasonably well, or did before TNA (at which point he sold like a parody of Hogan)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jarrett was above average during his later WWF years and into his WCW run. He did not deserve to be the WHC. But putting the IC title on him when he was in WWF was fine. IC title should be for better than average wrestlers.

His TNA run lmao though.

Edit: JJ is a "better than average" promo also. I say this, knowing that promos (at least during TNA) are like, bargain basement HHH rip offs from HHH's worst run, but I really think most guys suck at promos so even that puts him above most guys.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

Beau James is, objectively, a terrible wrestler. But somebody asked "Hey, does anybody have that video of that wrestling move Beau James did?" and someone else answered with a quickness.

I've never seen anyone display any curiosity about JJ's actual wrestling. Mongo was a more entertaining worker.

Being so terrible that people consider you a spectacle makes you the opposite of better than anybody.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 20, 2019

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TriffTshngo posted:

A lot of Tanahashi's "I don't respect your style of wrestling" feuds seem to be based at least partially in reality, like the one with Shibata, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some minor amount of "heat," if you could even call it that, between Tana and Kenny but I'm sure it's nothing that serious.
Does that originate from Riki Choshu not respecting the kind of wrestling Tanahashi did in college?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Being so terrible that people consider you a spectacle makes you the opposite of better than anybody.
Oh no, not a spectacle!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Edit: JJ is a "better than average" promo also. I say this, knowing that promos (at least during TNA) are like, bargain basement HHH rip offs from HHH's worst run, but I really think most guys suck at promos so even that puts him above most guys.
Permaban this garbage

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The only things anything remembers about Jarrett matches are poo poo like his one arm up kickout so I don't see much difference.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Permaban this garbage

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jarrett was above average during his later WWF years and into his WCW run. He did not deserve to be the WHC. But putting the IC title on him when he was in WWF was fine. IC title should be for better than average wrestlers.

His TNA run lmao though.

This forum is absurdly over-the-top in the Jarrett hate. Yes, Jeff Jarrett did some insufferable poo poo in his career, slapnuts was obnoxious, The Stroke was a lovely move, he was never meant to be a top guy in a national promotion. But as a midcard act Jeff was fine. There have absolutely been worse guys who've had runs on national TV.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I've never seen a Jeff Jarrett match :c00lbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kennel posted:

Perfect time to change that, Meltzer gave JJ vs HBK at In Your House 2 ****1/2

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kennel posted:

I saw Sting and Christian vs Jarrett and (someone) LIVE in the IMPACT ZONE in ORLANDO FLORIDA.

I THINK it was Sting's like, big return match. I don't entirely remember.

I've deffo seen several JJ matches on TV.

Edit: Uh, I think it was Final Resolution 2006, which would mean I saw Tanahashi live but had no idea at the time.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2019

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

The last royal rumble was a Jeff Jarrett match

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I saw Sting and Christian vs Jarrett and (someone) LIVE in the IMPACT ZONE in ORLANDO FLORIDA.

I THINK it was Sting's like, big return match. I don't entirely remember.

Monty Brown maybe?

I have a vague memory of the lead-up to that, TNA was hyping the heck out of Sting but he hadn't appeared yet, then I think Jarrett and Monty were in the ring and some pre-recorded clip of Sting came over the PA where he called Monty the "Alpha Female" like it was a really sick burn, then Mike Tenay going absolutely bonkers like "OOHHHHHHHH MY GOD WE HEARD THE VOICE OF STIIIIIIIIING"

I mean I did mark out pretty hard a week or two later seeing Sting wrestle on PPV for the first time in years, but holy crap Tenay was trying like a million times too hard that night. I kinda liked Tenay as a third wheel in WCW but he was pretty bad as the lead voice of TNA. Did he ever do anything after that?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

forkboy84 posted:

Wow HBK is an incredible wrestler to pull off a carry like that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, Jeff Jarrett did some insufferable poo poo in his career, slapnuts was obnoxious, The Stroke was a lovely move, he was never meant to be a top guy in a national promotion.
You forgot to mention the worst singlet ever

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

This is probably the best WWF match of '95.

Fake edit: except for Bret/Bulldog.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Defiance Industries posted:

Wow HBK is an incredible wrestler to pull off a carry like that.

HBK wrestled other workers that year.
Those didn't get 4 snowflakes and change.

Oh, and Jarrett's WCW character was just the drizzling dogshits.
We talk about how the nWo was a bunch of 40 year old trying to be hip and cool and with it.
They succeeded.
Jarrett failed. He failed so goddamn hard. He failed at being cool and hip and with it almost as bad as Beau James failed to apply an armbar.
In hindsight all of his Slapnuts poo poo was top shelf "Hello fellow kids" bullshit.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 20, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JJ wasn't carried by HBK in that match, he held up his end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

This is probably the best WWF match of '95.

Fake edit: except for Bret/Bulldog.

Certainly Dave had only 2 WWF matches over it that year, Bret & Bulldog at Season Beatings & Razor vs HBK at Summerslam in their other ladder match. It's been a couple years since I watched IYH2 but from my vague memories I'd rather watch HBK JJ again before HBK Razor '95.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh, and Jarrett's WCW character was just the drizzling dogshits.

The crazy part is it was basically the same character, but the few things that changed were pretty glaring. "Slap Nuts" was a lot worse than "Don't Piss Me Off", the Stroke was a lot worse than the Figure Four, and well, he 100% belonged in the upper-midcard and 0% belonged at the top of the card. I thought he was a little better in TNA, aside from still being pushed much higher than he had any business being.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

This forum is absurdly over-the-top in the Jarrett hate. Yes, Jeff Jarrett did some insufferable poo poo in his career, slapnuts was obnoxious, The Stroke was a lovely move, he was never meant to be a top guy in a national promotion. But as a midcard act Jeff was fine. There have absolutely been worse guys who've had runs on national TV.

Most of his midcard runs were really bad after he jumped to WCW the first time. His first WCW run was really boring, his WWF run floundered until he was in a decent tag team with Owen, then he only got over as a single with huge over the top misogyny. The matches weren't anything special. When he went from main eventer to upper midcarder in WCW his performances were even worse.

Yeah, he had a good run in the WWF in the mid 90s but that's really it.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I don't know how long it lasted but the Jeff Jarrett MMA character was hilarious in tna.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of my favorite J-E-DOUBLE-F-J-A-DOUBLE-R-E-DOUBLE-T-HA-HA moments is when his action figure couldn't have "Don't Piss Me Off!" on the shirt, so it was changed to "Don't **** Me Off!" which is so much worse.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I watched this with sound off at first and assumed someone had slowed the video down for effect. I guess grabbing someone's arm, putting your foot on their neck, and pulling hard would hurt. If you put any effort into it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcPwf_A6jk

Edit: Is that loving Lawler at 1:41 or just another lookalike?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtN4FXRdK8

You can also see Boogie Woogie Man in the background later on.

I like how the most technical wrestling move in his highlight reel is a lovely unsafe looking brainbuster. His favourite move seems to be an extremely lovely headlock punch, but my favourite is when he does a chest-high kick and appears to immediately grab his groin muscle in pain.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 20, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Most of his midcard runs were really bad after he jumped to WCW the first time. His first WCW run was really boring, his WWF run floundered until he was in a decent tag team with Owen, then he only got over as a single with huge over the top misogyny. The matches weren't anything special. When he went from main eventer to upper midcarder in WCW his performances were even worse.

Yeah, he had a good run in the WWF in the mid 90s but that's really it.

Yeah, I'm not arguing Jeff Jarrett is my favourite wrestler, he's really not. I'm not sure if he had more than 1 actually good match in WCW (my recollection is there was definitely 1 with Benoit in probably '99 but I can't say for certain, and it's Benoit but still, Jeff was capable enough), he had a handful in TNA which were far outstripped by the nonsense. I haven't seen his much of his Memphis stuff but I know people who like USWA have positive things to say about his time there in the early 90s.

I'm really not the JJ defence squad, he's got far more bad than good but he shouldn't be getting mentioned in the same breath as complete hacks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXtN4FXRdK8

You can also see Boogie Woogie Man in the background later on.

I like how the most technical wrestling move in his highlight reel is a lovely unsafe looking brainbuster. His favourite move seems to be an extremely lovely headlock punch, but my favourite is when he does a chest-high kick and appears to immediately grab his groin muscle in pain.

That lead me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBf0XVQ3dSo

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Lawler followed by AJ Styles. The man is battle-tested.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

I'm really not the JJ defence squad, he's got far more bad than good but he shouldn't be getting mentioned in the same breath as complete hacks.
That's true; "hack" often implies inoffensive mediocrity.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I watched this with sound off at first and assumed someone had slowed the video down for effect. I guess grabbing someone's arm, putting your foot on their neck, and pulling hard would hurt. If you put any effort into it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcPwf_A6jk

Edit: Is that loving Lawler at 1:41 or just another lookalike?

Without looking I'd bet it's Lawler he's been in the ring with all sorts of old guys from that area.

The thing to keep in mind about the arm bar is they were really proud of this angle. They played the full angle week after week on SSW TV, sometimes multiple times per show. We must've watched it 50 times when we watched SSW TV.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You can sign up for southern states wrestling for only $4.99/month!

I gotta find a way to get a bunch of money then lose it all with a vanity indy fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Wow, it looks like they scaled down the size of the ring to match the reduced size of Scott Steiner's arms