Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Cardiovorax posted:

Lisa was the nurse whose specific job was to take care of the burnt body of Alessa. She was also addicted to the cult-made White Claudia drug and coerced into telling no-one what was going on in the basement of the hospital as a consequence. Since she was really wracked by guilt over the whole thing and always treated Alessa well, Alessa basically gave her a free pass for her involvement in the whole thing and simply left her stuck in a room instead of a parasite-infested zombie.

I haven't played SH1 in many years but I thought the deal was that Lisa was already dead, and that the Lisa Harry sees is just an apparition ala Maria in SH2 thus explaining the whole freakout scene with "I realized why I'm different", and also her role in the good endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

I haven't played SH1 in many years but I thought the deal was that Lisa was already dead, and that the Lisa Harry sees is just an apparition ala Maria in SH2 thus explaining the whole freakout scene with "I realized why I'm different", and also her role in the good endings.

That's how I understood it. She's an idealized version of Lisa, seen from Alessa's eyes which doesn't have the darker underside of being a drug addict that the real Lisa had, when she has her freakout towards the end it's because Alessa is losing control over the Otherworld and by extension, Lisa.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's always kept a bit ambiguous how "real" any of the people you meet in the Otherworld really are, including the dead ones, so I could see that as a possibility too. What's well-established is that Alessa genuinely liked Lisa and Heather even remembers her fondly in Silent Hill 3, but when it comes to what the person you meet in SH1 really is... well, one of the devs said that "her spirit might be at peace now" as a commentary on what happens to her at the end, so whether she's dead or not, there's at least reason to believe it's actually her in some form.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
sh1 has the cult drug hallucination plot going on that was kind of dropped in the later ones.

sh1 is weird to me because it's kinda incoherent. and it's certainly trying to be. but i was never sure how much was intentional and how much was stuff getting cut in development or weird translation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't SH1 originally going to have Cybil be playable?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spite posted:

sh1 is weird to me because it's kinda incoherent.

Yeah. I mean, Harry, come on now, there's literally a dog right there and you're gonna say that you don't see a dog? That's hosed up.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This dude on Youtube said the DS version of Resident Evil is the best/definitive version. Is this common consensus or is he subsisting on crazy pills?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Crazy pills because REmake exists.

Unless he means the best version of original RE1, then can't really say.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's certainly the best portable version of the original Resident Evil that you're going to find.

I hope you like touchscreen QTE knife battles, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

It's certainly the best portable version of the original Resident Evil that you're going to find.

I hope you like touchscreen QTE knife battles, though.

I haven't played that game in forever but aren't there two gameplay modes, one that has those and one that doesn't?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yes, only Rebirth has the random qte’s but there’s still touch integration in the basic mode. There are some QoL improvements like a knife button, lock on aiming, quick turn, and mini-map but the downside is, well, it’s only on DS and still uses the edited intro for whatever loving reason!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wasn't there also some form of multiplayer?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

al-azad posted:

Yes, only Rebirth has the random qte’s but there’s still touch integration in the basic mode. There are some QoL improvements like a knife button, lock on aiming, quick turn, and mini-map but the downside is, well, it’s only on DS and still uses the edited intro for whatever loving reason!
Those were the reasons he said it was the best way to play RE1. I'd still rather just play the remake though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's crazy how much of a graphical leap REmake is over RE1 when they were released only 6 years apart, meanwhile RE2make doesn't feel like such a gigantic step above that despite the 16-year gap.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's crazy how much of a graphical leap REmake is over RE1 when they were released only 6 years apart, meanwhile RE2make doesn't feel like such a gigantic step above that despite the 16-year gap.

RE2 isn’t a graphical leap but it is huge when you consider it’s all real time with no loading.

Still you’d think after REmake came out and was like “look at our super detailed characters when all the complex stuff is a 2d painting” more games would follow suit. Why did low action games like RPGs completely ditch pre-rendered graphics?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Brb downloading REmake on my phone and playing it on Dolphin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

RE2 isn’t a graphical leap but it is huge when you consider it’s all real time with no loading.

Still you’d think after REmake came out and was like “look at our super detailed characters when all the complex stuff is a 2d painting” more games would follow suit. Why did low action games like RPGs completely ditch pre-rendered graphics?

They're less flexible and require way more effort to look good

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sakurazuka posted:

They're less flexible and require way more effort to look good

Enough about your sex dolls!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I appreciate that the Hunk stand-in in Daymare 1998 is a complete scumbag.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is Daymare actually a standout compared to its demo? Conceptually I don't mind "budget RE2" but the dialog in the demo is... woof.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The dialogue and VA is awful. The devs aren't native english speakers though. Gameplay wise it's cool so far.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've seen the clip discard ammo transfer thing done a handful of times, but Receiver is the only game in existence where it's ever, ever been a good idea, because in that game it was the point. Anywhere else it's a giant bad design warning sign.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I've seen the clip discard ammo transfer thing done a handful of times, but Receiver is the only game in existence where it's ever, ever been a good idea, because in that game it was the point. Anywhere else it's a giant bad design warning sign.

That is, until Blendo Games' Skin Deep comes out and becomes the ultimate first person shooter realism simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41r_eUToltg

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

On my list of games I wish existed, "Survival Horror Game with Receiver Mechanics" is up there (just behind "Trespasser but Good"). Fumbling with the reloading would make for a lot of really cool and stressful situations. One thing I loved about the RE2 remake was that you could turn off automatic reloading, which led to a lot of great moments where I was dry firing at a zombie bearing down on me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

plz dont pull out posted:

On my list of games I wish existed, "Survival Horror Game with Receiver Mechanics" is up there (just behind "Trespasser but Good"). Fumbling with the reloading would make for a lot of really cool and stressful situations. One thing I loved about the RE2 remake was that you could turn off automatic reloading, which led to a lot of great moments where I was dry firing at a zombie bearing down on me.

I would love to see the rest of the Receiver mechanics, but if it specifically includes clip drop and loss...well, there's a reason bullet transference is baked so hard into game design. You wind up in unwinnable situations almost instantly if you lose clips like that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

I would love to see the rest of the Receiver mechanics, but if it specifically includes clip drop and loss...well, there's a reason bullet transference is baked so hard into game design. You wind up in unwinnable situations almost instantly if you lose clips like that.
Nothing just slapping your favorite "Rougelike" synonym on won't solve :pseudo: "It's not bad, YOU are bad!"

Otherwise, yeah that about sums up my feelings on the subject too.

It's been a while since I've played them, but didn't even the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games decide to skip throwing ammo into the garbage unless you were using mods?

The concept probably wouldn't have such a bad reputation in gaming, if not for technical limitations or bad faith "Realistic means unrealistically inconvenient!" trends making it veer towards your bullets just vanishing from existence, rather than at worst dropping your magazine on the ground like an idiot, but being able to pick it back up.

But you would get the best of both worlds in "You hosed up, you IDIOT" ammo management under pressure, without any of the artificial difficulty issues, if fumbling the reload didn't mean you'd never see those bullets ever again. Because reasons.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 21, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Swat 4 had a really good system where you could do tactical reloads between mags but instead of just discarding the whole mag the game would rotate them and you could look at the UI to see which mag you had equipped and how many bullets it had.

A system like that would really well in a game like Resident Evil if the game just autofilled your mags as you find more ammo and you could upgrade your capacity by finding more mags

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 21, 2019

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Yeah if it were half of the system, just the quick vs slow reloads it would probably be fine in a survival horror context, its really the needless chore of having to fill each magazine individually in the menu that drags an alright-if-handled-correctly mechanic into annoyance.

Like every video ive seen of it has the player doing the reload shuffle every time they get any ammo because they have to top up each magazine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

WaltherFeng posted:

Swat 4 had a really good system where you could do tactical reloads between mags but instead of just discarding the whole mag the game would rotate them and you could look at the UI to see which mag you had equipped and how many bullets it had.

I was always on beanbag duty so I never knew about this :haw:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've been playing Lakeview Valley (spiritual successor to Lakeview Cabin Collection) and it is fantastic. The premise is you're new to town, will you help townspeople? Do sidequests for them? Kill them? Stay out at night and meet the creatures that dwell in Lakeview Valley? Why are murder victims showing up, alive and well in the local business? Why is your uncle a frog? You have one week before you are judged on your actions. It's in closed beta right now but there is just so much there. It can be wishlisted on steam right now though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I could imag/ine a game doing well with that concept by going with a more passive and automated implementation of it. Imagine that instead of manually having to refill your mags, they do so automatically, but only outside of combat. In combat, you get a button that will let you remove and slowly refill your current magazine, but it's far too cumbersome to be feasible except in very easy fights or in very hard ones, as a last-ditch effort.

Otherwise, you use the fast reload that ditches the rest of your loaded bullets, but this means you have to pay much more attention to positioning, try to get a feeling for how many shots you can fire without running out at the worst possible moment or dumping large amounts of bullets that are now unusable to you until you can (passively) pick them back up afterwards, which might mean you run out of filled magazines first.

I think that would make for an interesting tactical consideration without being a total pain in the rear end from a badly considered idea like actually making you have to manually reload every single thing all of the time.

quote:

Why is your uncle a frog?
Oh, he just grew up in Innsmouth. It's a cultural thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I watched John's video playthrough of puppet combo's backrooms game and man was that just a wet fart of a game. It started off interesting and weird and then right when things seemed to be ramping up and getting interesting it was like they went "eh whatever" and just tried to end it

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The idea of the back rooms really works best as a one paragraph creepypasta and an image.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Most Puppet Combo games are honestly kind of crap and only appeal to the kind of weirdo who really likes lo-fi knockoffs of 80s straight-to-video horror movies... but that's what they're all like a dollar each, if that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Gann Jerrod posted:

The idea of the back rooms really works best as a one paragraph creepypasta and an image.

The back rooms is dumb because it randomly has to make it about videogames. Like you encounter weird stuff when you noclip in a videogame anyways.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Untrustable posted:

I've been playing Lakeview Valley... It's in closed beta right now
Is it considerably updated from this?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Day 7 was a flop. It started as a joke at the same time as a Hellknight inspired game and sometimes you got to count your losses. It was delayed like a month and the last like 4 days are just cutscenes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The back rooms is dumb because it randomly has to make it about videogames. Like you encounter weird stuff when you noclip in a videogame anyways.

I kinda like the idea of the noclip thing mainly because to me it reads like "whoops, there has been a glitch in reality, now you are stuck in the endless abyss of whatever that exists outside of the 3D boundaries of our reality" but the way day 7 handled it was...not great

Hinting that the player character once went into the backrooms before and had successfully escaped was interesting and him meeting up with and trying to survive with another person was interesting as well and ending up in the red rooms or the metal areas or seeing the place get more and more hosed up as you travel with the geometry making less and less sense worked pretty well in showing the degradation of the whole thing. However, it just kills off the person you meet after a short time, the little girl is never explained, you just come across a guy who murders the person you were trying to survive with and then you put on a mask and become a killer the end doot doot doot

What a waste

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You want to know the real gently caress of it? The absolute pisser?

I wrote the original backrooms paragraph. I’ve been goddamn weirded out to discover it’s suddenly a small phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

And yeah the game was a let down.