Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST FINE, I BOUGHT THE loving TAG AS AN AVATAR

Add this to your title text:

code:
[timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/55/05/00136738.0007.png[/timg]
Also waiting for the game to download. gently caress you all I'm outta here to go be a horrible goose.

YES :goose:

well, it's good that it's top of page anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:goose: :goose: :goose: :goose: :goose: :goose: :goose: :goose:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GOOSE GANG REPRESENT

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do not yet own goose game

Yet

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Baller Ina posted:

Can anyone tell me about Sayonara Wild Hearts? It's caught my eye while looking into goose game.

FYI you can get it for free right now with Apple Arcade if you have an iPhone

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1175154699852345344

After five minutes this is my clear GotY.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

drat, that's a fine tag

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

:honked: Gang gang :honked:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Baller Ina posted:

Can anyone tell me about Sayonara Wild Hearts? It's caught my eye while looking into goose game.

quoting myself from earlier:

Sayonara Wild Hearts:

so, if you're not familiar with it, it's kind of a runner game with shoot em up elements, all tied to a pop music soundtrack. I've heard lots of comparisons to Rez. The basic gameplay is moving your character to avoid enemies, and you get to use an attack/dodge at certain points.

I want to recommend it just because the visuals are so killer, and the music is really good. It's a very confident game. The story is basically non-existent, but you do get a really sweet tarot motif.

That said, there were a few surprise difficult segments that made me really frustrated, and almost contemplated quitting. Every time you get hit you die, and sometimes how you're supposed to dodge something isn't obvious. Checkpoints are frequent, but some segments just killed me over and over.

It's a shame, because frequent restarts really sap your momentum and energy, and especially kill the musical vibe (imagine restarting the same five seconds of a song ten times in a row.) I wish they had just adopted a purely-score based approach, and had deaths hurt your score without actually making you replay anything.

The whole game takes a little over an hour, depending on your skill. There are high scores to go through, some weird riddle achievement things, and some other modes to unlock. I can see people balking at the $13 price, but it's nice to support weird stuff coming out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

quoting myself from earlier:

Sayonara Wild Hearts:

so, if you're not familiar with it, it's kind of a runner game with shoot em up elements, all tied to a pop music soundtrack. I've heard lots of comparisons to Rez. The basic gameplay is moving your character to avoid enemies, and you get to use an attack/dodge at certain points.

I want to recommend it just because the visuals are so killer, and the music is really good. It's a very confident game. The story is basically non-existent, but you do get a really sweet tarot motif.

That said, there were a few surprise difficult segments that made me really frustrated, and almost contemplated quitting. Every time you get hit you die, and sometimes how you're supposed to dodge something isn't obvious. Checkpoints are frequent, but some segments just killed me over and over.

It's a shame, because frequent restarts really sap your momentum and energy, and especially kill the musbical vibe (imagine restarting the same five seconds of a song ten times in a row.) I wish they had just adopted a purely-score based approach, and had deaths hurt your score without actually making you replay anything.

The whole game takes a little over an hour, depending on your skill. There are high scores to go through, some weird riddle achievement things, and some other modes to unlock. I can see people balking at the $13 price, but it's nice to support weird stuff coming out.

I got it based on the trippy trailer, your review, and NintendoLifes's review. Haven't got to play because I'm traveling but I'm looking forward to it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The best thing so far about the Goose game is stealing the little boy's toy airplane and putting it on the shelf in the store. The shopkeeper makes him buy it back. That's after I stole his glasses and made him put on the wrong ones. HONK.

It's the best part but it also made me feel a little bad.

Riven fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 20, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I made a thread about that untitled goose game.

I'm now going to play that untitled goose game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dantheman650 posted:

Is there a way to set time limits per profile, for sharing a Switch with kids?

It's per system, you can't split it up. What you cab do is turn them off when you use it and they automatically turn back on when the system goes to sleep

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I can’t wait to get home and play with my honker.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
FYI to people like me who wanted to us the D-pad for movement, if you use a Snes controller (I tried with my new 3bitdo Bluetooth controller with no analog sticks) and D-pad works in that case! Also oddly the d-pad works for the fishing game? :shrug: but just a heads up!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
People are bitching about the crane game, but it seems like it's only the Yoshi Doll and piece of heart that suck. Rupees are basically a gimme, I'm gonna buy the bow with only one dropped rupee. The hitbox on them is super generous and they rarely jostle loose if you pick them up.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

Echophonic posted:

People are bitching about the crane game, but it seems like it's only the Yoshi Doll and piece of heart that suck. Rupees are basically a gimme, I'm gonna buy the bow with only one dropped rupee. The hitbox on them is super generous and they rarely jostle loose if you pick them up.

Until you get the timing it's a pain but I got the heart peice in the fist go andnyoshi on the second (after a reset, I assume he's harder once he's fallen over), just need to get the light spot right over them

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

The Bloop posted:

YES :goose:

well, it's good that it's top of page anyway

can anyone tell me why everyone is so concerned about their post if it's the first one on a new page

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Echophonic posted:

I’ve seen clips of people getting juked on the Secret Seashell too. I got it first try though. :frogc00l:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kirby99 theme is the best one since the og gameboy theme. Obscenely cute

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My new Switch Lite owns now lemme at that goose game...HONK!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whaley posted:

can anyone tell me why everyone is so concerned about their post if it's the first one on a new page

Forums Culture

Good start to page: ++epeen
Bad start: -epeen
Sniper smiley: possible probation

No one REALLY cares, I'd wager, it's just insular humor

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So I take it the goose game is out? I haven't been following it closely but I want it. Is it as good as I have been led to believe?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Bremma posted:

FYI to people like me who wanted to us the D-pad for movement, if you use a Snes controller (I tried with my new 3bitdo Bluetooth controller with no analog sticks) and D-pad works in that case! Also oddly the d-pad works for the fishing game? :shrug: but just a heads up!

D-pad works with the 8-BitDo M30 as well. It does not work with the SN30 Pro unfortunately.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i’m canadian so a goose gang tag would reaffirm my national identity, thanks

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Oh God! I can't wait to goose it up when I get home from work tonight

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

So I take it the goose game is out? I haven't been following it closely but I want it. Is it as good as I have been led to believe?

It's really good. Really short but really good.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
Is there no way to make a copy of your OG Switch's SD card and use a PC to copy the contents to another SD card to use on my Lite? I'm not really keen on downloading 175GBs worth of games again.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I’ve seen clips of people getting juked on the Secret Seashell too. I got it first try though. :frogc00l:

The seashell cost me like a hundred rupees, it's a real fucker once you knock it over.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 20, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TheHouseofM posted:

Is there no way to make a copy of your OG Switch's SD card and use a PC to copy the contents to another SD card to use on my Lite? I'm not really keen on downloading 175GBs worth of games again.

Nope. Only when you’re upgrading to a bigger card and using it on the same Switch does the drag and drop work.

SD card data is locked to the device, not account.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Apparently the goose game is only two hours long?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

welp, first time reseting to cheat the death counter. I feel very dishonorable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kirios posted:

Apparently the goose game is only two hours long?

You can't put a price on HONK

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Iunno just seems weird when people were complaining about Link's Awakening lack of playtime for 60 when Goose Game has an even worse ratio.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kirios posted:

Iunno just seems weird when people were complaining about Link's Awakening lack of playtime for 60 when Goose Game has an even worse ratio.

Is it the same people?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/1174828683925680129

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bushisms.txt posted:

Kirby99 theme is the best one since the og gameboy theme. Obscenely cute

It’s really good and probably my favorite of the contest themes. Earned it in 2 games.:cheers:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I used my eShop coins and got UGG for less than 5 bucks so I'm getting my money's worth.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Played through Sayonara Wild Hearts just now. I like "art games" and especially music games, so I really wanted to like it, but I came away pretty underwhelmed.

The art direction is fantastic. It's got a really cool visual style, and the choreography of the camera and action on screen with the music is really fun. The music is pretty good, though I felt most of it lacked a strong melody. Aside from a couple of the vocal tracks, it didn't stick in my mind.

But the gameplay just falls totally flat. What makes rhythm games good is the joy of getting entrained to the music, so you can predict what's coming before it happens. It feels great when you predict what the game is going to do, you feel in sync with the musician and the game developer at the same time. Wild Hearts has none of that, the gameplay has basically nothing to do with the music. It's much more like those 20-second Mario Maker 2 levels, where you just follow the coins on screen. That's fine for a bit, but isn't really a stellar gameplay experience.

As an "art game," it's just OK. I didn't really get the story. The intro and outro to the game don't seem to relate to the character's story. And the character's story is unclear. Is she getting over past breakups? How many serious partners has she had?! Why do they all turn into the same bun-wearing character at the end? What's with the dragon? What do tarot and astrology signs have to do with anything?

The game's scoring and unlock systems are obviously intended to be replayed many times, but the gameplay just isn't fun enough to be worth it. Gaining skill in the game is more about memorizing the layout of the level and the locations of the secret items as they whizz by. I can't see myself going back to this one enough to unlock the all-Gold menu item. I wonder what's behind there.

Dunno. If you like art games, music games, and so on, I don't want to dissuade you, give it a shot. I wrote so much about it because I wanted it to be more than it was. But I can't give it a recommend. There's better music games (the Bit Trip Runner series, except perhaps 3), and art/music games (GNOG), and art games (Kids/Plug&Play, Return of the Obra Dinn) to play.

Now on to this Goose game I keep hearing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I used my eShop coins and got UGG for less than 5 bucks so I'm getting my money's worth.

Yeah I paid 6bux for my copy after gold.